Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Heidi said this elseware, but I loved the Cabe and Walter stuff in this ep. Toby was right, Walter was really the only one who could have gotten Cabe out of that.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This makes me draw comparisons between Cabe and Walter's Father/Son relationship and Sly's relationship with his father, Ken.

Both Cabe and Ken are military men - to whom strength and honor and attention to duty are incredibly important. Yet Cabe is able to relate to his genius son but Ken just can't.

It's easy to say that it's just because Cabe is a nicer guy than Ken, and I won't dispute that. But I do think Ken wanted to relate to his son; he wanted to be a good father - he simply failed.

I think the difference lies more in how Cabe and Ken each direct their priorities. Cabe expects all of those military qualities in himself. He doesn't expect other people to live up to the bar that he sets for himself. Moreover, he recognizes and appreciates the exceptional qualities in other people - even when they aren't qualities he himself aspires to. Ken, on the other hand, measures everyone - especially every man - against the same yardstick he uses for himself. Although I think he was able to recognize his son's good qualities in the end, they will never be the equal of his expectations - so he's simply not able to appreciate Sly or relate to him.

What's really significant here is that Cabe's ability to see the value in others - even when they are not the qualities he values in himself - is something that Walter shares, in huge measure. So the next question is, is that something Walter learned from Cabe - or is their rapport with each other in part due to the fact that they share this innate ability?

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, you give Ken a bit more credit than I do. I think Ken wanted to connect with him, but he didn't really try, or at least like you said he only tried from one approach. Whereas Cabe and Paige care enough - and are good, understanding people - and for those reasons can connect when they put out the effort.

I really love what you said about how Cabe doesn't hold others to his personal yardstick - it's not something I've really thought about, but it's true. He holds high standards of everyone, but it's a different rubric for each person and he understands that.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:54 AM
Elite Fan

The Walter Cabe relationship is one of my favorites in this show. I love the strong father son dynamic. I hope the show finds its way back to an emphasis on this.

Btw I love your thoughts on why Walter is abrupt in these situations. It makes sense that the right words arent always there and his mind is more on trying to find a solution.

Last edited by Fangirl49; 04-27-2017 at 06:07 AM
Fangirl49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love their relationship, too, and it breaks my heart that Cabe was the last to leave at the end of Strife on Mars and he basically just turned his back on Walter. If there was ever a time for Cabe to give Walter some fatherly advice - or a fatherly kick in the pants (metaphorically speaking) - this is it. I'm not saying Walter doesn't have a right to feel upset. But his solution in this case is a bit of a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" thing.

~Heidi
Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
I love their relationship, too, and it breaks my heart that Cabe was the last to leave at the end of Strife on Mars and he basically just turned his back on Walter. If there was ever a time for Cabe to give Walter some fatherly advice - or a fatherly kick in the pants (metaphorically speaking) - this is it. I'm not saying Walter doesn't have a right to feel upset. But his solution in this case is a bit of a "cutting off your nose to spite your face" thing.
Yeah, agreed. And we'd just had that nice ending recently where Walter comforted Cabe when he wasn't okay. Following that up with a visual like that, with Cabe literally turning his back on him, it's just hard to watch.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:39 AM
Elite Fan

And I hated the way he told Walter to grow up when he remembered about Paige. That was the same type of thing he said to him when he Was 16. I can understand tough love but there's a time and a place and sometimes you have to think of the emotions of the other person.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangirl49 (View Post)
And I hated the way he told Walter to grow up when he remembered about Paige. That was the same type of thing he said to him when he Was 16. I can understand tough love but there's a time and a place and sometimes you have to think of the emotions of the other person.
I can understand the intent of what Cabe was doing - although perhaps he could have found a better way and worded it better. They were in the middle of a crisis and Walter needed to focus on the job - no matter what his personal issues were at the time. To some extent, what Cabe did was a verbal slap - but one that may have been necessary to snap Walter out his daze.

~Heidi
Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Elite Fan

I know you're right. I just wish he hadn't made the schoolboy reference. I think that's what he said. I have a mental block. He could have said get your head in the game. We will talk later. But I guess that's not dramatic enough.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I miss the days when Cabe used to give Walter fatherly advice. The scene with goofy Cabe and Toby sort of reminded me of those times.

~Heidi
Old 03-28-2018, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No love for this thread after last ep?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 AM
New Fan

I came here because of the latest episode. It is my favorite episode this season. I've been waiting for a nice Cabe and Walter father son episode ever since Ice Ca-Cabes. Seems like we get one each season. I already watched it twice and can't get enough of the episode. Watching it for the second time, knowing that Walter is just sabotaging the whole thing / trying to *not* get out, was even better than the first time around. And then he couldn't stand back and let Cabe hurt his shoulder because of him, that was so sweet.
noiproksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:52 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiproksa (View Post)
I came here because of the latest episode. It is my favorite episode this season. I've been waiting for a nice Cabe and Walter father son episode ever since Ice Ca-Cabes. Seems like we get one each season. I already watched it twice and can't get enough of the episode. Watching it for the second time, knowing that Walter is just sabotaging the whole thing / trying to *not* get out, was even better than the first time around. And then he couldn't stand back and let Cabe hurt his shoulder because of him, that was so sweet.
I didn't even know Walter was sabotaging anything. His emotions were so controlled. Nothing showed. I didn't see that coming at all

Then when he finally broke down and admitted to Cabe how he felt. It was so emotional. It got me!!! I've watched it several times. I think it was better because it was so unexpected

Yes this is going to be one of my favorite episodes too. I have missed the Walter Cabe scenes. I was glad to get this one. It was perfect
Old 03-29-2018, 02:33 PM
New Fan

I didn't see it coming, either. I mean I had hoped they were going for some sort of emotional climax because they couldn't just leave Cabe thinking Walter didn't see him as part of the team / didn't respect him, but the resolution was so much better than anything I could have imagined. I also thought early on that this was your typical "I thought *you* had the key - no, I thought *you* had it - oops we forgot it outside" scenario that I never thought of the other possibilities. But watching it again there were so many little signs, beginning with how quickly Walter volunteered to help Cabe fetch/carry the things at the beginning. The wheels for how to get out of the situation started turning as soon as the bet had been made and he jumped at the opportunity when it presented itself. Or how he "accidentally" broke the new key. Of course Walter breaking down, showing so much emotion, and the heart to heart that followed was the best part.
noiproksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Me too I thought all it would be would just be an apology. But it was so much more.

And yes you can see it clearly, the way Walter went with Cabe, the way he planned it out and set it up. But I didn't notice anything. I just thought they lost the key and I figured Cabe would solve the problem.

I love the talk about him trying to please his dad and couldn't.

I miss Walters interactions with the other team members. I loved he and Cabes relationship in S1. I am glad the show took a minute to showcase it.