Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2018, 08:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I enjoy reading different stories a lot of the time. I have read some weird TBBT fic. One of my favorites was a Leonard/Bernadette sex scene and like...literally no one ships that except for the person who wrote it. But with Scorpion, with the way the show ended, it's just not something I'm interested in at the moment. Like there is one fic that has Walter dating Florence post series. I 100% believe it's good. But it's not something I really want to spend my time reading. If this summer had just been a hiatus, sure. But since we will never get closure, I don't want to read about something that I would be annoyed with happening in-show. Fanfics are all we'll ever get, so I just want to read stuff that gives me the warm gooey feelings I wanted from a series finale. There may come a time that that changes - I certainly have become much less picky about Mentalist fanfic the rare times I venture to that section of fandom. But with Scorpion, I'm just not there yet, emotionally.

Of course, I'm struggling with fanfic in general right now. I haven't had anxiety over my writing abilities in years - at least not to the extent of not writing. I always get a bit nervous when I publish something or update something, but everything I've tried to write for Scorpion lately just hasn't happened. The only WIPs I even have is smut, and like heck I'm gonna get over this mental hurdle by finishing and posting heterosexual sex scenes - something I have zero personal experience with.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's hard for me to read fanfic in general right now because of time - but Scorpion in particular is difficult, although there are times when I get in a mood. When that happens, though, I need it to be the sort of fic where everything turns out all right - by my definition of all right. I need warm fuzzies, not angst.

~Heidi
Old 10-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
It's hard for me to read fanfic in general right now because of time - but Scorpion in particular is difficult, although there are times when I get in a mood. When that happens, though, I need it to be the sort of fic where everything turns out all right - by my definition of all right. I need warm fuzzies, not angst.
Same. Even the writers I've been following for years and whose fics I know for a fact I will love because I love everything they do, it's been hard for me to actually do it right now.

Old 10-08-2018, 02:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

What little reading I've done I've limited to just 2 authors who I'm absolutely sure will make everything come out okay. Those are even difficult because there is usually some drama and conflict before you get there. I've avoided fix-it fic because by definition those have to start out with the specific angst of the break-up and I'm just not up to that yet.

~Heidi
Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm curious as to who these two people are.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Absolute Fan

Anyone looking for something to read that isn't about the break-up could try reading one of my current WIPs - Sunshine and Sea Air. It's set a year in the future, the team are back together and everyone's happy... most of the time. Just a suggestion...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That one is on my list for whenever I get around to reading fanfic again.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

When I first read the title my mind immediately went to a Scorpion/JAG crossover. I'm sure that's not what it is - but now the idea is stuck in my head.

~Heidi
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
When I first read the title my mind immediately went to a Scorpion/JAG crossover. I'm sure that's not what it is - but now the idea is stuck in my head.
The name definitely fits the JAG series finale.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Absolute Fan

I've never seen JAG so any similarity is just a coincidence. I'm just getting back into reading a few fics now in between writing. It's sad, really, that the finale left us with so much angst to resolve. I hope once everyone works through it we will start to see more happier stories. I just couldn't wait, that's why I'm writing my angsty fix-it and a happier story concurrently... which is actually much easier than I thought it might be.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The JAG finale was called "Fair Winds and Following Seas" so your title is similar in terms of format, basically.

An issue I'm having with writing stuff that isn't angsty is my season five fic is my headcanon - and my A Conflict of Parallels, although I started writing that months before the cancellation, is a sequel to that one. So I feel in terms of writing, anything happy that I write I need to make fit into those stories (I know I don't 'have' to, but in my head, I do) and I don't want there to be plot holes.

I do have the other angst-to-happy fic idea, but it's largely Waige, and what I want to do is write more Fly since way more people, obviously, write Waige. Plus that fic would have all the smut in it and while I know most people are always thirsty for smut (as am I), I also don't care to write it all that much.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
The JAG finale was called "Fair Winds and Following Seas" so your title is similar in terms of format, basically.

An issue I'm having with writing stuff that isn't angsty is my season five fic is my headcanon - and my A Conflict of Parallels, although I started writing that months before the cancellation, is a sequel to that one. So I feel in terms of writing, anything happy that I write I need to make fit into those stories (I know I don't 'have' to, but in my head, I do) and I don't want there to be plot holes.

I do have the other angst-to-happy fic idea, but it's largely Waige, and what I want to do is write more Fly since way more people, obviously, write Waige. Plus that fic would have all the smut in it and while I know most people are always thirsty for smut (as am I), I also don't care to write it all that much.
I understand I will miss reading your Scorpion stories I hope you get inspired again because there is a five year gap between your season 5 story and Conflicts I am sure a story could fit nicely in to that time frame when you are ready I will be here to read
Old 10-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie (View Post)
I understand I will miss reading your Scorpion stories I hope you get inspired again because there is a five year gap between your season 5 story and Conflicts I am sure a story could fit nicely in to that time frame when you are ready I will be here to read
Well, thing is, I don't know what I would write in that time! I talked up in Conflict how perfect Walter's wedding vows were, so I don't want to write that wedding because there is no way I come up with vows that would live up to the hype. I don't really want to write any of Ralph and Bri's relationship, and so that leaves Fly just sort of...existing, because of the "we've been doing the same thing for so long now without any major steps forward in our relationship and is that a bad sign" conversation they have in Conflict, or Happy being pregnant with Ellie - and I don't really want to write more babyfic (after Conflict and Serendipity) plus I'm not that good at writing Quintis.

I suppose I could write the Waige engagement, but I can't say I have any particularly unique ideas there.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Absolute Fan

I know what you mean about having your own headcanon. It's difficult to break away from it, or have the desire to do so. Sometimes I will reference something that happened in one of my other fics as if everyone should know what I'm talking about, but of course not everyone has read all of my fics, at least not necessarily in the right order.

I don't know if I'll fill in the year (approx.) that will exist between the end of Sly Down and Sunshine and Sea Air. I don't just want to end up writing 'Sly Down Part II' so I'll probably leave it to the readers' imagination. A lot of my ideas for other fics will actually be set during the run of the show, but I will also be writing more post-Sunshine fics.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I need to get an idea for a one-shot to get my head back into writing. Picking up my WIP(s) after such a long hiatus is a little daunting.

~Heidi
Closed Thread   Post New Thread