Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Fanfiction #4: Because a new season means new story ideas!

Keep posting!

N i c o l e ~ Tumblr | Podcast | Fanfiction | Twitter
WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

TFTNT!

I might even make catching up on reviews a Halloween goal!

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Reviews + Halloween. Nicole in heaven.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm about half way through Here to Stay now, Nicole and I'm loving it.

Also, I've written three chapters of a new story. So far almost all of my Scorpion fics have been one chapter/one-shots (my chapters are normally around 3,000 words) with the exception of one which ran to three chapters. This new story will be much longer, but usually when I'm writing a multi-chapter I don't post any of it until it's all finished. However, I've noticed that most Scorpion writers post chapter by chapter and update as and when a new chapter is finished. So the question is, should I do that with this one? My dilemma is that I have been known to go back and change something once I've completed a first draft of the whole story so I wouldn't be able to do that. And I've seen how you're often begging each other for reviews (I completely understand, there just aren't enough hours in the day!) but I think I'd be in danger of losing motivation if no-one seemed interested in the first couple of chapters and I don't ever want to start a fic and never finish it so I don't know what to do for the best? Also my writing time is sporadic and I couldn't guarantee how long people would have to wait, so would anyone bother going back to it after several weeks? Working this way would be a completely new experience for me so I'd appreciate some advice.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

Tiff,

I've had the same problem you mention - writing 2 or 3 chapters and then wanting to go back and change something. My solution to that with longer fics is to write 3 or 4 chapters before I post the 1st one. By that time, whatever I've written in Chapter 1 is usually reinforced by that later chapters, and I'm not likely to go back and change anything. I usually keep that up for a bit - writing several chapters ahead of what I'm publishing - until I feel like I've got the story pretty solid. I also outline my chapters and add notes when I get ideas for specific scenes. I will deviate from the outline quite a bit sometimes, but it still helps keep me focused on where the story is meant to go. Usually if I'm working to get to a particular place, there are less reasons to go back and change the path I use to get there.

As far as posting sporadically, there's not a lot you can do about losing readers if you have really long breaks. People who really like your story will follow it or follow you and so they'll get a notice when you post again. But it's undeniable that you're likely to have some people lose interest if you don't post with some regularity. That's another reason to get a few chapters ahead before you publish. If you have a long break, you can cautiously release some of the chapters you've already got. Of course, eventually you run out and you'll only have something to post if you get back to writing.

~Heidi
Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Heidi and I just razz each other about reviews because we've known each other for years and that's part of our dynamic. But yeah, when reviews don't come in or taper off after a while, you really start wondering what you're publishing for.

And I'm so glad that you're liking Here To Stay! I really need to get it finished, but travel and so much of my time when I'm not at Job #1 is working on Job #2 and then there's no time to write.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Heidi and I just razz each other about reviews because we've known each other for years and that's part of our dynamic.
That's just because when you're on a roll, you're a writing machine and I can't keep up with you! Then I spend a weekend reading 12 or 14 chapters and stuffing your inbox.

~Heidi
Old 10-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
That's just because when you're on a roll, you're a writing machine and I can't keep up with you! Then I spend a weekend reading 12 or 14 chapters and stuffing your inbox.
How many do you have now? I've lost track.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
How many do you have now? I've lost track.
My guess was pretty good - 14

~Heidi
Old 10-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh nice! (At your guess, haha.)

Old 10-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the advice. I think this time I'm going to wait until I've finished the whole thing before I start posting, but then post a chapter every few days to see how that works for me. I might even break it into smaller chapters than I usually post.

Well I'm all caught up with Here to Stay at last - sorry for bombarding your inbox with reviews, Nicole, but I like to review every chapter and you wrote a lot of chapters! Everyone should read it if you haven't already. (And then, if anyone has a few spare minutes, maybe you could read one of mine? They're only short. Hint...hint...hint! Links are in my signature! Thank you. )
Old 10-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Never apologize for bombarding an inbox with reviews!

I am going to read some of yours soon! Maybe while I'm having some down time in Chicago this week.

Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

So, I was hit with inspiration this evening. Just a short missing scene.

Mama Deerest

(Or here it is on AO3 if you prefer.)
Old 10-15-2017, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read it yesterday as you know, but I just wanted to say here how wonderful I thought it was!

Also, ScorplinginTraining's new fic (is based off of the first sneek peak for tomorrow's ep) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1268976...he-Machine-ist

Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I read it yesterday as you know, but I just wanted to say here how wonderful I thought it was!
Thank you! Thanks to everyone who's read and reviewed it so far.

One of my reviewers suggested I write a follow-up conversation between Walter and Happy which is a great idea. What were those two thinking about the subject of having babies etc after the end of that episode? Is Happy even in that frame of mind? She was forced to face her maternal feelings when she thought she was pregnant, but that situation was out of her control and the outcome was devastating for her, so would she actively choose to put herself back in that position? I kind of get the impression that Toby would be the one pushing the idea of starting a family, whereas Happy might want to wait for a while. As for Walter, he was definitely thinking something during the incident with the fawn, but after the difficult journey he and Paige have been on so far, is it going to be that high up on his list of priorities to bring a baby into the mix? And what about his EQ? He's great with Ralph, but Ralph is mini-Walter so it's easy, but does he worry that his difficulties relating to and interacting with other people will make him a bad parent?

Anyway, as you can see I've got lots of thoughts about this ( ), but I don't know if I can really do it justice in writing, because I struggle finding Walter's voice (very frustrating!) so if anyone else would like to take this idea and run with it please do.