Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2017, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think the end of the episode was supposed to show us that she's not worried anymore, but I feel this show has in the past tried to subtly tell us things and didn't make them super clear. Then again they've also been almost obnoxiously obvious about their messages, so...

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The ending was lovely, but it was still a dream, so not necessarily indicative of any change in Happy's outlook.

Happy hides it well, but it's pretty obvious she has confidence issues when it comes to any kind of relationship. I think the only person she really trusts - Toby included - is Walter. There is a bond between them that she doesn't have with anyone else. I'd like to see this experience boost her confidence a bit, so that she can enjoy the experience of being in love; and maybe even realize that she's got good friends in Paige and Sly, too.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxPhile (View Post)
The ending was lovely, but it was still a dream, so not necessarily indicative of any change in Happy's outlook.
If the dream was still ergot induced, it would have been about a fear. Considering she had the reassurance from Toby during the ep, and now she is dreaming about being happy with him in childhood rather than being rejected by him, to me that tells me that they were definitely going for her believing what he told her and was feeling better about it.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

De topping but as always feel free to keep discussing.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Does anyone else wonder what sort of hallucinations Walter or Toby might have if they were poisoned by the ergot?

~Heidi
Old 02-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Does anyone else wonder what sort of hallucinations Walter or Toby might have if they were poisoned by the ergot?
Walter's could go two ways - I could see it being Paige and Ralph related, or being afraid of somehow losing his intelligence, through injury or age (where dementia or Alzheimer's might come into play), kinda like how Cabe was worrying about not being able to keep up with Allie but was also afraid of being weak. I'm not sure which way Walter's would go, or if it would somehow incorporate both.

Toby's, either Happy related, relapse related, or again, both.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Since it would likely mean losing Happy, I think Toby's might definitely be relapse related. He knows he's never been able to stay away from gambling in the past - and it's been made pretty clear to him that he lost his first fiancée that way. That said, many addicts rationalize that their loved ones "don't really mean it" - so he may not really connect a relapse with losing her, in which case it would make more sense for his biggest fear to be losing Happy - without any issues with his gambling connected to it.

As much as Walter is afraid of losing Paige and Ralph, I don't think that would be the fear he would hallucinate about. He made it clear in 3.15 that it is the sort of loss he's learned to deal with - at least if the loss was an emotional distance. He might shut down emotionally - but Walter still doesn't fully understand or fully value emotions, so I don't think it really hits him what a loss that would be.

I think you may have hit the point with a loss of mental abilities. Walter has always counted on his intellect as the one thing he can always depend on. No matter what people do to him, he always has his mind and his intelligence. I think we saw a bit of his fear in 2.01 - when he realized that his brain was somewhat affected by the injuries he suffered in the accident. It was minor - but he was afraid to admit to it, and I think he was very afraid that it would get worse instead of better.

~Heidi
Old 02-06-2020, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Our next random episode review should plant the seeds for some deep discussion!

~Heidi
Old 02-07-2020, 05:47 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Our next random episode review should plant the seeds for some deep discussion!
I only just got round to rewatching and commenting on Cliffhanger!

Give me a few days...
Old 02-07-2020, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's going to take me a few days, too. But I do remember I loved this episode.

~Heidi
Old 03-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the episodes that get deep into the psychology of the characters and this is a great one. I also love that it focuses on Sly and Happy and Cabe, making these supporting characters so much more interesting.

It's not like we didn't know that Sly is afraid of - everything (chickens included) and Cabe is afraid of getting old and and Happy is afraid of rejection, but this points out that it's not as simple as that. Sly is actually afraid of being afraid. He's afraid that is fears will make him useless to his friends and himself. Paige needs to remind him that he is more than capable of conquering his fears when it's needed. Cabe is not afraid of getting old - he's afraid of getting weak. Walter convinces him that strength is not just physical. Cabe's bravery is his strength; his experience and wisdom are his strength, and he will have those even as he gets older.

Walter's biggest fear is not being able to solve a problem - but as usual, he solves every problem thrown at Scorpion.

Paige has just one hallucination - seeing Walter with another woman. But it's not specific to Walter. Paige's biggest fear is falling in love and having the person she falls in love with betray her. She's been through that and she is terrified of seeing it happen again, although I think she also realizes that if Walter did that to her, it would be worse than any other time.

The two people who aren't affected by the ergot - Toby and Ralph - reveal their fears as well. Ralph desperately wants Walter to be a permanent part of his life and he feels the way to achieve that is for Walter and Paige to be "more than friends". The prospect of that never happening has him very anxious. Toby fears losing Happy - not losing her love, but literally losing her. He's afraid that with all the risks she takes she will eventually take one risk to many. That fear is all the more terrifying because there is nothing he can do about it. Most of the time, he is powerless to protect her from the risks she takes, or to rescue her when things go bad. Moreover, he knows he can't stop her from doing it because it's part of who she is, and he loves her just as she is.

~Heidi
Reply   Post New Thread