Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

ITA that The Farm was a hard episode my poor Starbuck

So excited we are up to Home love those episodes
Old 03-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Elite Fan

Interested to hear your thoughts this week Sarah.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

2x06 - "Home" - Part One

Spoiler:
Going to watch part two in about 90 minutes with how in just over 30 minutes got a board watch else where on to attend
2x07 - "Home" - Part Two

Spoiler:

Last edited by crash landing; 03-18-2016 at 02:56 PM
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for your thoughts! I look forward to watching the eps.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Can't wait for your thoughts
Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 AM
Elite Fan

Ok, so I'm going to try to catch up this week. I didn't get around to watching yesterday. I'm going to try to watch at an ep for the next 2-3 days to completely catch up.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was going to suggest that we pause until the 1st especially Easter this weekend
Old 03-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds like a plan
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yes a very good plan if I say so
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

As requested, I'm reposting my thoughts/review on Home.
So I thought that I would start doing little analysis of BSG episodes for these threads. Did my first one for home.

No place like Home

Cinematography is for p****s
I love how the beginning of major episodes start off with a series of unique cuts of close up shots. Accompanied by the sounds of Bear McCready. Though I wonder if they should have done the same thing for Home part 1 because I view part 1 & 2 as one episode.

The curious case of Mary Mcdonnell and Laura Roslin
I think it's a crime that Mary Mcdonnell was never even nominated for an Emmy on this show but that's the stigma of sci-fi for you. When not even in focus she's riveting, things that I hadn't even noticed until this viewing. You slay me, you just frakking slay me!

Zarek: "Losing that priest really frakked her up."

I never noticed Laura wigging out in the background.

Also I hadn't noticed Laura (in the background) freaking the frak out when Bill is almost shot again!

I blame this on you Lee
Once Laura splits off from the fleet, Lee becomes the head of Laura's military. So I blame this bit of stupidity on him.

Let us hike around in the woods with a bunch of Cylons and let the PRESIDENT run around in the brightest coat you could find.

Love or something like it...
I never noticed until this viewing just how much of this episode revolves around love. You've got Sharon & Helo, Sharon & Tyrol, Kara & Lee, Kara & Anders, Bill & Lee, Bill & Kara, Bill & Sharon. Lee declares his love for Kara, but she's pretty hung up on Anders here. Bill is emotionally distraught about Lee & Kara.

For the love of Sharons
In the episode The Farm, Bill is trying to come to terms with Sharon's cylon nature and her assassination attempt. He has a chat with Tyrol and in trying to understand what exactly Sharon was to them.
Adama: "Boomer, did you love her?"
Tyrol: "Thought I did."
Adama: "Well, when you think you love somebody, you love them. That's what Love is, thoughts."
Once Tyrol finds out about Sharon's true nature he's ready to ride her off; Logically but not emotionally. Bill isn't so sure.

In the beginning of Home pt1, Roslin has a chat with the new Sharon. She comes to the conclusion that Sharon loves Karl and her unborn child.
Roslin: "She saved them, both of them. She didn't have to. She could have saved her child and let them die. Why didn't she? Because I believe that she's telling the truth about one thing. She thinks she's in love."

The Sharon's teach a separated Bill & Laura about love and both come to the same conclusion. But end up using that information in two very different ways. Bill's humanity, emotional reasoning and Laura's clear pragmatism. This I think highlights two halves of a whole that need each other and not only to survive but what it means to be alive. It's not a coincidence that they have mirror lines here.

Helo & Athena really pave the way for the future alliance with the cylons. I do not believe that would have been possible if it weren't for their love.

Bill Adama coming to terms with life, death and betrayal
He's really struggling to come to terms with everything that's happened. With being shot by someone he loved, by being betrayed by his children and by someone he respected. It's interesting to note that even though Saul royally frakked up with the decisions that he made. He suffered no reprimand. I wonder if perhaps he didn't, because that would have left Bill with nothing. Bill seems to take loyalty very seriously, something that I think is really instilled him in through the military. Bill viewed what Laura, Lee & Kara did as a mutiny of sorts. Also as we know, Bill is a very deep feeling man and he often thinks with his heart. All of that cut him to the core and so I think that's why Bill initially writes them off. That and Bill is stubborn.

The two fleets: Martial Law & Religious Democracy
Is Loyalty enough?
I think if Bill never had that change of heart both fleets would have perished, never having found Earth. I think that Bill might have eventually been able to iron out his training problems. But I think that Marshall Law would have destroyed the fleet.

The enemy of my enemy is not my friend
On Laura's side, there is a power struggle. Zarek is smart enough to know that Laura carry's too much weight and too much power to mess with that. That's why all of those ships left the fleet in the first place. Eventually Zarek would have gone through on his plan to kill Lee. Then if Zarek had been able to pull the wool over Laura's eyes (which I highly doubt) and managed to gain control of the military. I think that they could have lasted only so long. While Zarek is a smart man, he's not a military tactician. Eventually the cylons would finish them off. Bill came to the conclusion (with Dee's slap in the face) that he really couldn't do it without Roslin and co. And I like think that Laura would have come to the same conclusion, once they returned from Kobol.

Favorite Scene:

I love the opening teaser scene from part2, specifically the scene with Bill and co planning a mission to go back to kobol. I really love this scene because once Bill has his epiphany, he's gone a complete 180 and no one here really understands it. This really marks a big change in the Roslin/Adama relationship which solidifies a unity (with some bumps of course) that runs throughout of the rest of the series. Bill is committed to putting the fleet back together and that means believing in Roslin. Even if he doesn't believe in the Gods. And I think that he may believe that this mess was at least partially caused by him not giving Roslin a chance. It's really played beautifully in the bit when Tigh and Gaeta snicker at Bill at telling them that Roslin might have seen the tomb in a vision.

Favorite Quote(s):
Tyrol: "Topography is for pansies."
Adama: "Adar was a moron."
It's really the original lines that are my favorites but the network got too nervous and made them change the lines. "Topography is for p****s" and "Adar was a p***k."

Something I thought was cool:

Big a** rocket launcher that looks like a tommy gun!

And I love the way redshirt falls after being shot.

Something I thought was not so cool:

Adama: "She thinks you'll be president, one day."
Billy: "Scuse me?"
Adama: "That's what she said to me once. That you reminded her of President Adar, when he ran for his first office."
Billy: "I don't really know how to respond to that, sir."
Adama: "Don't let it go to your head. Adar was a moron."
I love you Bill but sometimes you can be a real a** hole. You and your backhanded complements.

Zarek's manfriend (Raiden) has no name.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Are we good to move onto 2x08?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds good! Do we start this week or next?

FINALLY got around to catching up!

2x6 Home Pt 1

So the things that stuck out to me the most were (A) Kara's return (B) Adama and Dee's talk and the effect it had.

(A) I loved Kara's return and TOTALLY forgot about her kiss with Lee. Man, that was interesting...I remember the first time i watched it being totally like "SQUEE!!" But it's interesting how her feelings seem to have changed because of her relationship, however brief it was, with Sam. Also, I still love the way she says "Adama was shot?", like she was so vulnerable. I love that moment.

And man, although it's understandable, Roslin is seriously ruthless when it comes to Cylons...I come again to thinking about how I always think of Adama as the emotionless one and Roslin as the emotional...but it's really the complete opposite. One thing on the show that's always...fascinated me is the religious aspect of the show...I don't always quite get it. Like how their quest for Earth seems to mirror what's in the scrolls. And man, I always hate it when the preacher woman (I forget her name. ) dies.

2) Watching Adama flounder in the wake of Roslin and Lee's betrayal is really interesting. He acts like he knows what he's doing and that he doesn't care at all about the betrayal but it's really clouding his judgement. I love his talk with Dee at the end and how she just lays it out for him. This is the Dee that I like, not the one that ends up with Lee. I prefer her as another surrogate daughter to Adama. And i love how open he is to hearing correction...I mean, yes he got defensive, but he eventually took the advice to heart and set off to make things right. Looking forward to the next ep!

2x7 Home Pt 2

So easily my favorite part about the episode is the reunion part when Adama et al show up on Kobol. I love the way Roslin reacts when she sees Billy. It really is like he's her son. And omg, the look on Adamas face, the way he carassess Kara's hair when he sees her. And of course Adama's reunion with Lee. Just overall the whole reunion scene is so satisfying. Everything is maybe not forgotten but certainly forgiven and they're finally reunited and working together.

I love how Sharon keeps you guessing the entire episode, like you don't know if she's really going to betray them or not. I love when she pulls the gun, points it at Adama and then proceeds to kill the real troublemaker. And how she tells Adcama straight up that she is on their side and making her own choices.

And let's not forget that AWESOME scene at the end when they finally get the roadmap to earth. I love it. I still remember my initial feelings of how awesome that scene was, so it colors my thinking every time. In general I love everything about Kobol, because i sort of liken it to if we found the Garden of Eden, so to speak. Like how amazing would it be to find the almost mythical land that your people originally came from, and then to be basically transported in your mind to the place you're searching for. I can't overstate how much I love that. This is one of my favorite episodes of the whole show because it has so much drama and amazingness.

Last edited by Musickat18; 04-12-2016 at 12:31 PM
Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This Friday so 2x08 this weekend sounds good
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

looking forward to it!
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Elite Fan

Love this! And we just watched it.

Source [X]