Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2015, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Penny Dreadful 2x02 - "Verbis Diablo" Episode Discussion (May 10th)

Haunted by the witches, Vanessa (Eva Green) seeks solace from Sir Malcolm (Timothy Dalton). Scotland Yard Inspector Rusk (guest star Douglas Hodge) searches for the sole survivor of the Mariner’s Inn Massacre. Evelyn Poole (Helen McCrory) enchants Sir Malcolm. Dr. Frankenstein (Harry Treadaway) gives the re-born Brona (Billie Piper) a new identity. The Creature (Rory Kinnear) gets a new job. Dorian Gray (Reeve Carney) meets an intriguing woman with a secret.
Ferdinand Lyle (Simon Russell Beale) reveals the disturbing backstory of the Verbis Diablo. Evelyn’s daughter, Hecate (guest star Sarah Greene), hunts down a prize for her mother.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT !
Old 05-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No problem

I'll only be able to watch it tomorrow But very excited
Old 05-11-2015, 02:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, same here! So cool !
Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Can't wait to get home from work to watch it I heard Dorian's back
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Warning! Spoilers!

Ethan and Mr. Lyle were hilarious, in fact, Mr. Lyle almost always is. Other than that it was an okay episode, one of those that precede a really good episode. Not much happened, Dorian was in it, rather shortly, we discovered a more humanitarian side of Sir Malcolm and Vanessa met Caliban/John Clare as was seen in the episode stills. Oh and Evelyn Poole's daughter was super wicked.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Watching is asap
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Do you want to see Victor & Lily together? I'm curious to see how that plays out.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

*avoiding all PD threads* Still haven't seen it
Old 05-11-2015, 04:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

It was a good episode, although definitively a set-up one.

I'm still struggling a bit to see as normal Malcolm being so open and protective towards Vanessa. There was a sort of "emotional jump" in last season's finale, and they have stayed consistent in showing them in a real father/daughter relationship, but a part of me is still wary of Malcolm, thinking back about how ruthless and scheming he could get.
It looks like he's on the receiving end of the scheming at the moment, though, because Evelyn is bewitching (?) him, and I'm afraid to see where that will lead. With Hecate having her eyes on Ethan, the witches are working to turn against Vanessa the two people closer to her.

Should've known that all the dialogue and screentime Sembene got in the premiere was too good to last - we went back to the nothing of S1 in the second episode.

One full season and two episodes into the new one, and I still feel like they have no clear idea about what to do with Dorian. About time they start to develop his storylines beyond his curiosity for new feelings and experiences.
And fingers crossed for the writers to handle Angelique and the transgender theme well. She got a nice introduction with that scene at the cafe and when she reveals herself to Dorian later on, we'll see how they build that up.

Both Victor and Caliban (or John? I'm not sure how we should call the character anymore) are being supreme entitled jerks toward Brona.
And touching her boobs while she was still dead wasn't enough - Victor had to cop a feel this week, too, while she was utterly confused and vulnerable. Okay, doctor.
Caliban's attitude is infuriating, as well. "She needs poetry!". No, she needs honesty and respect and not to be the "reward" for your past pain. For all their showing Caliban's sensitive side, his attitude toward her is all wrong, although at least he toned it down when they finally had their first talk after her make-over.

Speaking of Brona - LOL AD INFINITUM about them using the resurrection as their chance to completely change her accent. But I can finally understand what Billie Piper says - last season I got one word every four.

Back to Caliban/John - despite what I said about how he acted around Brona, his scene with Vanessa, the whole of it, was just beautiful and poignant. One of my favorite moments of the episode. And sometimes the show's dialogue can feel a bit forced in its tones, but it worked perfectly here.

Ethan and Lyle are the comedic duo you never expected to see, and never thought it would work, but it did, so so well! They were fantastic - and oh man how I love you Ethan, I smiled every time he just flirted back after whatever Lyle threw at him.
And the moment they were busted at the museum and Lyle told his colleague that Ethan was his brother genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Lyle is being blackmailed into working for the witches, but from the way he talked about what Ethan, Vanessa and the others are up to, downplaying their search and their intelligence, he seems to be reluctant in doing so and might genuinely help them.

About Ethan - he's close to guessing what the "thing" inside him is. And now I'm incredibly curious to see what happened to the survivor of the inn massacre - will he turn into a werewolf, too, having been bitten by one?

Helen McCrory continue to be fantastic and beautifully shiver-inducing.
This show finally managed to truly unsettle me with that "doll room" - god, I hate creepy dools. I was a bit thrown off by how realistic the Vanessa doll looked compared to the others, though, lol.
BTW, was I seeing things or one of the dolls the camera focused on while Evelyn was performing the ritual on that baby's heart looked like Mina?
Old 05-12-2015, 02:12 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I think ''Brona'' goes by ''Lily'' now. She has no memory of her previous life anyway.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope "Lily" gives Victor and John hell once her memory comes back. I doubt they would have written that plot point for Protheus and brought it up again in this episode as well if she weren't to remember her past life at some point.

She was doomed to die and so in a way she got a "second chance" thanks to what Victor did, but that's no excuse for manipulating and using her the way they're doing.
That said, the writing is doing a great job in showing just how creepy Frankenstein can be.

Does anyone know if the ratings for the second episode are already out? The premiere numbers were a series low and I'm worried.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn (View Post)

Does anyone know if the ratings for the second episode are already out? The premiere numbers were a series low and I'm worried.
You can check the ratings here : Penny Dreadful TV show on Showtime: ratings (cancel or renew?) | canceled + renewed TV shows | TV Series Finale

I'm still only halfway through the episode, I've been having a crazy week at work so not much time, I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow night
Old 05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've seen it ! It was great! Loved Malcolm and Vanessa's scene, very sweet. Also the Caliban / Vanessa one was perfect. Brona's back so cool! Really excited about that Brona/Victor/Caliban story line.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm so glad Billie doesn't have to do that awful accent anymore