Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

Arrow 4x09 Dark Waters: Episode Discussion

dark waters
4x09 - episode discussion

OLIVER TAKES
ON HIVE

After the city is attacked again, Oliver (Stephen Amell) makes a bold move against HIVE. Malcolm (John Barrowman) checks in on Thea (Willa Holland) and leaves her with a warning. Things take a horrible turn when Damien Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) retaliates in a brutal manner at Oliver’s mayoral holiday party.

John Behring directed the episode written by Wendy Mericle & Ben Sokolowski (#409).

Basic Rules:
  • Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.
  • No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.
  • Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.
  • Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 12-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This episode by the promo looks INTENSE
Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thoughts on the episode throughout:

Of course the writers would put a mini Felicity in a scene and have Oliver save her. It's a bit overkill.

Wish they would give Oliver a running opponent. Having to run against someone who wants to destroy him politically while facing DD who wants to just destroy him would be a damn good storyline.

I don't quite understand why Oliver would make this announcement to have callers call the hotline and then have his BTS team mate(s) handle it. Why wouldn't people from his actual campaign be doing this?

We BEST get Laurels reaction to Q/D dating. It's nice to see Q actually smiling. If only they gave the Lance family more fun moments like the Smoaks get to get.

I love DD, he is such a great villain. They really need to work on giving the show more great villains both minor and major like The Flash has.

REALLLY want to know when Laurel is going to find out her dad is working with DD as a double agent and that she has a target on her back, just as I wonder if DD will actually act upon it. She has yet to have any scenes with him and I need to them to give her some GOOOOD stuff between those two.

Where do they find these random Ghosts? Do they just stand around Star City trying to break into things? They really are just Arrows version of Power Rangers Putty Patrol.

Laurel/Oliver scene, how nice.

Well guess now Laurel knows. Ugh oh...more secrets, lol of course Laurel is forever being left out of the loop. Unfortunately, with L/O being in a friendly place now, they probably wont have her confront him about it.

Lord there is a whole storyline between Malcolm and Quentin that needs to be explored! Sadly it will most likely just be ignored.

This may be one of my favorite Laurel/Quentin scenes, like ever.

The Olicity scene with her telling him that she can make her own decisions was a nice, touching scene.

Im kind of sad that DD didn't make a joke about Green Arrows lack of facial hair.

Semi-kudos on them actually using the Canary Cry halfway decently, though they go ahead and do it again and it is basically useless. Sara's was able to literally knock people unconscious, that's what I need from this writers okay?

I really want DD's people to bring in some bigger henchmen to help him with his vigilante problem. The Ghosts are beyond played out.

Can't say how nice and refreshing it is to see Laurel/Quentin being happy with one another.

I'm kind of surprised that Oliver and co. let their guard down and didn't think about a retaliation.

And of course que the "Felicitys dead!" comments. Lol at this cliff hanger that isn't remotely a cliff hanger.

Overall this is probably the best episode of the season and is what I want more of.

Only thing I probably would have changed/added is Oliver being more worried about Thea when she was in the gas chamber. That is his little sister and last living relative but he was more worried about Felicity. Don't get me wrong, I am ok with their scenes in this episode, but Oliver/Thea deserved a bit more emotion during her near death experience.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Elite Fan

My rewatch thoughts now that i have drugs from the doctor and can focus on what actually happened.

Poor Dig... Im so sad about his brother. Hes so sad talking about to Oliver at the clean up.

Felicity and Laurel - I know im in the minority but i just love these two together so freaking much. I wish they gave us more scenes with just the two of them.

So, we all know Arrow loves Parallels. Oliver saves Mini- felicity from the getting shot and later we see the parralel where he didnt managed to keep actual felicity from getting shot.

I look at that and think of Islang girl and the lie. Oliver didnt tell the completel truth to her just like he admitted the truth abotu William to Felicity. Both lies will come back to haunt him and play out in some fashion in mirroring ways.

Oliver being upset about the fact that kids were there when they were attacked. Are we suppose to read into that now that hes thinking abotu William? He did wonder if william would be better off without him. Will that come back into his mind?

I just love Donna she is a ray of sunshine. She is who she is and isnt afraid to be that person. I think its somethign we all struggle with to be that confortable in our own skin. I love how excited she got for Felicity when she saw that ring.

I loved them calling out Darhk. Most of all I love that everyone had a hand in the decision and told Oliver that they supported it. He wasnt making it alone.

I loved everyone not letting Oliver cancel the Holiday party. They all decided they werent gonna stop there lives and they all decided it sent a better message to show they werent afraid.

Felicity thinking Oliver was gonna propose in the lair. "Now" Here?" Oh, hunny calm down.

Flashbacks are still boring.

Im really starting to enjoy Thea/Malcom relationship.

Poor Laurel stuck on hotline patrol.

I love Olivers look as Felcity is babbling about practically engaged but not reeally.

Felicty's moment of Clarity about the soufflé.

Felicity finding her mom and Quenting... "Im gonna hit myself over the head so i dont know either"

I actually like that that Felicity confronted Oliver about the ring. Granted probably could have wait till at home but Felicity as always been direct. She wanted to know what changed. Besdies sometimes Oliver gets in his own way and needs those around him to see clarity.

However, the "I chose this life, and I chose you. I dont understand why we cant have both." moment is very telling. Right after gunfire errupts. Pretty much there life. Was that foreshadow for the end of the episode or is that still forshadow for the future still?

Im loving Darhk more an more. Hes crazy evil and fun.

Donna freaking out over them taking Felicity.

Quentin conflicted over if he should have made a move or not against Darhk.

Angry Oliver has returned. I loved him kicking all the ghost butts trying to find Dig, Thea, and Felicity.

I loved the Laurel/Oliver scene. She made it clear they were all behind him outing Darhk. She wasnt letting him go to that dark place where he blames himself. I loved it.

Laurel finding out about Dark and her dad. Im actually sad there wasnt more consequences or something from that. I felt liek that was the only storyline Laurel had left.

Always gotta love Malcom showing up. Poor Quentin i forgot he didnt know about Malcom. Malcom pissed that Oliver didnt call him when Thea was taken.

Because "Im Ras al Ghul." "lol"

Damien Darhk is quite evil. I love it.

"excellent you have your bondage outfit on." Oh Malcom

I never suscribes to the idea that Laurel could die once. Always figured Felicity had more of a chance than her. However, tonight was the first time i felt like maybe just maybe after or talk with Lance. "I dont know what id do if anything happeened to you" moment. I was like maybe but i still doubt it. IVe suspected everybody on the show at least once so far this season.

F/O scene in the cell. A much needed talk. Both Felicity and Laurel hit home tonight about not needed everyone to protect them.

Dig and Thea in the gas chamber then adding Felicity. Oliver was going crazy trying to get to them. Oliver and Felicity mouthing "I love you" to each other.

I love Laurel and Malcom workign together to rescue them. Wasnt it just last years mid finale where Laurel when after Malcom and called him a "stupid son of a biatch." Now she willing worked with him to save her friends and look bad ass doing it.

Thea "is that my father?"

So how many other people have worn that GA suit now? Dig, Roy and now Malcom.

Malcom did make a pretty bad ass GA.

Lance seeing Laurela in action and realizing she doesnt need anyones protection and that she can take care of herself.

Okay to those complaining Oliver was getting his but whooped by darhk. Do you not pay attention? That was the point. Malcom showed up as GA so Oliver wouldnt be suspected. Fighting back would have showed his hand. He was trying to not blow his cover.

By the way thank you writers for letting Laurel smile again. Makes her more beaitufl and more likable.

Oliver bit by shark in Flashbacks

Andy and Dig... So Andy is a true beleiver. What is Darhks endgame? Andy had to become a believer for a reason.

Still not sure what exactly Darhks plan is. Is he trying to wipe everyone otu adn build is own new world?

I wasnt sure I was gonna be happy with the public proposal for F/O. In the end though i liked it way more than i thought. It was short sweet and very fitting. Im still upset that the lie is there but it didnt bother me as much as i thought it would maybe because they had several important discussions tonight. IDK. Obviosly the lie will cone back to him but im just not sure how.

So apparently Oliver has the bullet proof bond edition tux when he should have went for the bullet proof limo. Bad choice man.

Promo was trying a bit to hard to make us believe Felicity died when we know we still have 3 months show time before it happens. Nice try though.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

I loved the episode

I think it was well made.

Laurel being stuck on hotline duty Meh! I so wanted to see her in a nice dress.. but theeeeen we got to see her as the big hero I looooved she finally used the Canary Cry for real multiple times

Wondered about who would send the tip about Quentin working with DD.. But okay..
I'm glad it's out..
aaand that Laurel and her Dad still are in a good place.. and we got to see her smile

Okay we all know that's not Felicity in that grave.. It's way too obvisouly specially sicne she made that comment that were three months in SC and the grave was shown even three months later..

I still think it will be Ollie's son.. or his mother..

Malcolm in the GA suit.. Awesome move

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm afraid over it being Quentin or like you said his son, William
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

It makes the most sense.. Since barry is there who is the only one who knows..

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 12-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

That's why I'm moved over to it being William his son
Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

It'll be very sad

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

If it's his son that will be so dark even for Arrow but it would make since because Barry is the only one who knows about William. It would be so sad though.

I was wondering if perhaps Darhk didn't send the tip in about Quentin himself? He was started to suspect him anyway i think so I could see him doing that.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh interesting I was thinking that too cause otherwise they were getting nothing real, so how could somebody know about Quentin working with Damien

If no objections going to unstick this now with how the show is on hiatus and its been a few days - feel some space up
Old 12-13-2015, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

Watched this episode again and it is my favorite of S4 thus far.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer (View Post)
Watched this episode again and it is my favorite of S4 thus far.
It's my favorite of the season as well. It had great emotional scenes for several characters and just some awesome action. We also got a little tease about Darhks ultimate plan.

And I know people like to complain about the treatment woman get on Arrow but I thought the woman stuck out with there strength and pointing out they make their own choices and decide when they need protection. Plus Laurel got to save the day.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

The women owned this episode that's for sure both Laurel and Felicity
Old 12-14-2015, 01:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

It was defintely the best of the season

Damien sending in that tip would be interesting.. wonder if we get to know this.. I can imagine him telling Quentin next time we see him

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©