Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Total Fan

Unreal Tournament 2004

Anyone hook up with this? I put down my deposit months ago, and ran away with a swanky Special Edition last week. For those wondering, the SE includes a bonus DVD with dozens of tutorials for the UnrealEd tool, a shiny metallic case (!), and a Logitech Internet Chat Headset that costs about the same as the game if purchased separately. All in all, pretty good. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Some related sites:

Now, if only I had enough HD space to install this 5.5 GB behemoth...working on that now. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyone else picked it up?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Obsessed Fan

This is by FAR the best of the UT series (barring the original UT that debuted in '99,since that is just a gaming classic, hands down).

This is what ALL game developers should strive for to justify the $39-49 price tags PC games have on them these days.

-Over 100 maps out-of-the-box
-10 new game modes
-Bots (for training and offline play)
-Vehicles (ground and air)
-Scalable Graphics (for lower end systems)
-Editing tools for Mods

I mean, seriously [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Epic has out-done themselves with this one, and it is a sort of a redemption because UT2003 was SO bad -- In every respect -- That this game is almost like an apology for it to the fans.

I love that they brought back the Sniper Rifle and Assault modes. With more objective oriented gaming these days, to NOT have that mode in UT2003 just stunned (and turned off) a lot of the hardcore UT players like myself because DM and TDM are just plain boring and almost no one plays those pointless modes anymore (kill, respawn, kill; Wow. How fun [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] ).

The only thing that UT2004 has against it -- and this is something no game can control -- Is some of the people (kids) you play it with, let alone the obvious cheaters and "hackers" who are ruining MP gaming.

Too many kids (pre-teens to 20s) use games like UT2003 as an excuse to be an "e-thug" (electronic gangsta) and use games like these as a measure of how big their... Er, "gun" is... If you catch my drift? Which is sad because no one gives a crap in the real world, yet these kids live and breathe these games like it IS the real world. I find this aspect extremely sad. Whatever...

However, if you can find mature players (of any age) to play with, then this problem is easily dealt with. That just leaves the hackers and cheaters that, unfortunately, aren't going to go away any time soon... But that aren't as prevelant in the UT series as most other games -- Namely "Counter-Strike" -- So at least that is a plus right there.

For a bang-for-you-buck value, I definitley recommend UT2004 as well as "Far Cry" if you're into FPShooters. Counter-Strike has a lack luster game coming out Tuesday called "Condition Zero" -- Which is just the inclusion of bots, simulated MP and new maps (and that is ALL) -- Which pails in comparison to brand new games in every respect from graphics to gameplay to features included out-of-the-box.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Total Fan

I find Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 really similar. Except for pacing, Onslaught/Assault and vehicles, everything else is a touch-up. It's a great package, but not a ground-breaking revolution.

Frankly, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 is what the atrocious Quake 3 should have been.

It was the extra physical goods that got me, namely:

And also this:

The headset alone ($40 Canadian) was almost as much as the entire game ($50 Canadian). Pretty good deal, considering that UT 2004 is the "textbook" I need for a 4th semester game development class. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Pretty good deal, considering that UT 2004 is the "textbook" I need for a 4th semester game development class. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Bet you won't have any trouble doing the 'homework' for that class. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
Total Fan

I imagine not! Apparently, we'll be using Unreal Tournament 2003 as he doesn't have time to confirm certain technical realities in converting from 2003 to 2004, but it's all good.

Now, if only I had the space to install it... [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Master Fan

so tell me a little about unreal tournament, what kind of game is it? what systems?
Old 03-23-2004, 04:28 AM
Addicted Fan

unreal tournament is basically a fantasy-type FPS where the whole point is to kill people. They make the game out to be a kind of sport, especially with the year titles ex "ut2k3, ut2k4." i wondered how come it wasnt called 2005. anyways, ut2k4 feels alot like the original to me than ut2k3 did. the return of the sniper rifle is great, and assault as well, a much missed mode in ut2k3.
It's a pretty big game, tho. It takes 6 cds to install 5.5 gb worth of data, but it's allll worth it. alll worth it. :drools:
there are many various modes played in ut2k4
Deathmatch: the classic FFA mode. kill or be killed. It also comes in the team variety.
Capture the Flag: you capture the flag, and bring it back.
bombing run: kinda fun. think of it as football with guns.
assault: this is a team-based objective mode where one side is on the offensive and the other side is on the defensive and the offensive has to go through a series of points to make it through the mission, while the defending team stops them.
onslaught: very fun as well. this mode uses very large maps that require the use of vehicles. in this each team has a main base with a power core, and has to control connecting power nodes. to win, you have to connect your nodes to the one that's closest connected to the enemy's base so their power core is vulnerable, thus giving you a chance to attack it.

it's only on pc right now, as it should be. you might want to have a pc with at least 2 ghz and a geforce 4 card to fully enjoy it, although 1.2 to 1.8 ghz should make it run fair enough.

[ 03-23-2004: Message edited JediBlastoise ]
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Total Fan

Beat me to it. About the title, the game is still named Unreal Tournament 2004 because it was scheduled to ship in 2003; though it came out late, Epic Games didn't want to leave a year gap. Unlike sports titles, future editions will probably continue this tradition of releasing on the year of their name.

Can grab the demo here; it's pretty good.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Master Fan

it's a little to big for me to download.. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] oh well I'm not really into fighting games or first person shooters that much..which seems to be about what this game is
Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Total Fan

It's a first person shooter, with strategy; it requires a lot of team planning and understanding of the environment (devices, vehicles, etc) to succeed.

Really good; you should really give it a shot, it's surprisingly complex and innovative for a FPS.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:53 AM
Total Fan

The game at its finest.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>I find Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 really similar. Except for pacing, Onslaught/Assault and vehicles, everything else is a touch-up. It's a great package, but not a ground-breaking revolution.</STRONG>
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I played UT2k3 to the point where it utterly bored me, but UT2k4 is a game I just can't get into.
Dances With Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Total Fan

Is it because you got so sick of 2003, that 2004's similarity was a huge turnoff?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:34 PM
Total Fan

Not directly related to UT 2004, but similar enough to belong on this thread is the news that Unreal 3 is coming.

Quote:
Unreal 3.0 Engine Revealed (PC)
IGN reports on a behind-closed-doors screening of Epic's next generation game engine.
By James Fudge | Mar. 26, 2004

As part of its Game Developers Conference coverage IGN has a report on a behind-closed doors meeting with Epic where they were shown a demo of the Unreal Engine 3.0. The demo, which was run on a hush-hush secret next-generation NVIDIA card, showed off environments, character models, and some other interesting special features that Epic has planned for future Unreal products. A full and detailed report can be found at the link above. The game (or it's final name) has not been "officially announced" for the record.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:59 PM
Total Fan

New Onslaught maps are out this Friday:

Quote:
Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught bonus coming

GameSpot will premiere a pack of two free Onslaught bonus maps this Friday. New screens inside.

This Friday, GameSpot DLX will host the premiere of two new maps for Unreal Tournament 2004's popular Onslaught mode, giving fans massive new battlefields to fight over on foot and in UT2004's new vehicles. The Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught Bonus Pack is being released as a part of Microsoft's Windows XP Extras program.

The larger of the two maps, "ONS-Ascendancy," takes the action to the surface of a sprawling alien mining planet with glowing Tarydium crystal formations, while the other, "ONS-Aridoom," hosts medium-sized battles among age-old mesas. Both maps from the Epic designers show UT2004's characteristic polish and style. New screenshots of both maps are pictured.

To get the bonus map pack, check DLX this Friday or reserve the bonus pack now via the GameSpot DLX plug-in.