Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Elite Fan

Katamari Damacy Games Appreciation - The most wacky funny you can have without getting arrested!

Hey everybody, I recently got one of the katamari games and am loving it so I thought we needed a thread.

The Games

Katamari Damacy - Playstation 2

The primary story in Katamari Damacy deals with the aftermath of the planet-sized King of All Cosmos' binge drinking spree that wiped out all the stars and other celestial bodies from the sky. The King (who appears to be chronically dissatisfied with his 5-cm-tall son's small size) charges the Prince to go to Earth with a "katamari"—a magical ball that allows anything smaller than it to stick to it and make it grow—and collect enough material for him to recreate the stars and constellations. The Prince is successful, and the sky is returned to normal.[3]

A side-story follows the Hoshino family as the Prince works at his tasks. The father, an astronaut, is unable to go to the moon after it is wiped out by the King, and the daughter, whose name is Michiru, "senses" the Prince's work—she can feel when each constellation returns to the sky. Ultimately, the family, along with their house and town, are rolled up in the katamari that is used to remake the moon

We Love Katamari - Playstation 2

We Love Katamari tells two stories: a self-referential story of how the King of All Cosmos is reacting to the unexpected success of Katamari Damacy, and an origin story of how the King of All Cosmos became the King of All Cosmos, met his wife, and had his son.

Me & My Katamari - Playstation Portable

The King of All Cosmos and the Royal Family decide to take some time off from their celestial construction and travel to Earth for a well-earned (for the Prince at least) tropical summer vacation on their own sunny island. Unfortunately, the King's over-exuberance creates a tsunami that strikes and devastates nearby Paradise Commonwealth Island. One of the residents, a turtle, washes ashore next to the Royal Family and tells them his tale. The King then decides to make new islands for the animals of the Commonwealth with several katamari. Similar to the previous Katamari titles, the King sends the Prince to the Sunflower Continent, which is full of the paraphernalia used to create new landmasses.

Beautiful Katamari - Xbox 360

The game opens with the King of All Cosmos, his Queen, and the Prince, enjoying some tennis while on vacation. However, a powerful serve by the King causes the tennis ball to rip through the fabric of the universe, creating a black hole that sucks everything but the planet Earth into it. In order to correct it, the King commands the Prince to roll up katamaris on Earth to recreate the planets, sun, and other celestial features. Once the Prince completes this, the King then orders him to create a katamari large enough to plug up the black hole and restore order to the universe. The Prince then rolls up enough stuff to create the "Super Giant", a very large Katamari that he then plugs up the black hole with. In the end, the black hole is stopped and the King of All Cosmos takes all the credit for stopping it.

Katamari Forever - Playstation 3

Katamari Forever contains a mix of 34 levels, with some being brand new and some being levels from previous titles in the series. Older levels take place within the mind of the King of All Cosmos, who gets knocked in the head and suffers from amnesia. The levels are black-and-white in appearance, and the objective is to roll up junk to bring color back to the stages. New stages take place in the present, where RoboKing, a robotic version of the King of All Cosmos created by the cousins, goes on a rampage and destroys all the stars in the sky.

The objective of the new levels involves creating stars by rolling up junk as in previous Katamari Damacy games. New additions to the gameplay include: the "Prince Hop", which allows the Prince to hop into the air by flicking the controller up or pressing a shoulder button; and the "King Shock", which sucks nearby objects onto the katamari like a magnet.

Katamari Forever does not include online multiplayer as in Beautiful Katamari but instead features offline multiplayer and online leaderboards. The game utilizes a full high-definition video format.[7] In addition to graphics in the original style of Katamari Damacy, the game allows the players to select graphic filters such as cel-shaded, colored pencil, or wood grain graphics.

Katamari Forever is also said to include the feature of unlocking PlayStation Home Rewards through gameplay. Some of the items will include a t-shirt with a miniature Prince attached to the shoulder. Other cousins with other shirts will be unlockable for male and female avatars.

Touch My Katamari - Playstation Vita

One day, a boy asks his Dad "Who is more awesome, the King of All Cosmos or his principal?". When the dad is trying to make up his mind, the mom says they are both equally awesome. The king overhears the conversation. Shocked, he becomes a train wreck. Somewhere else, a slacker named Goro, who puts off studying for video games and the Internet, sees a news broadcast telling of the King's apparent depression. Goro believes that this is his moment to start his life anew, so he runs off to make a new lifestyle for himself.

Other Games
Katamari Damacy Mobile - Mobile Phones
(Only described as timed levels)
I love Katamari - iOS (Iphone,Ipod touch, Ipad)
(just timed levels)
Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy - DSiware digital download
(unlike other games this is a falling blocks game, much like Tetris.)
Katamari Amore - iOS (Iphone, Ipod touch, Ipad)
(The primary story deals with the Prince of All Cosmos adventures on Earth while carrying out missions for his father, known as the King of All Cosmos. One day while cleaning his room, the King finds a book known as "Have a Nice Trip!", which he had gotten while visiting the planet Earth. The book details different rare objects that can be seen around the world. Upon discovering the book, and realizing he is smitten with the beauty of the objects, he orders Prince to Earth to roll up them up and bring them back to him.)

-Fans of the series-
1. AtomicEmpress (Pammie)
2. Primordial (Clint)

So which games have you played or do you own? Which are your favorites?

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]

Last edited by AtomicEmpress; 07-03-2012 at 06:25 AM
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm going to check out the demo to see if this is a kind of game I'd like. It definitely doesn't look like anything I've ever played before
Old 07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Elite Fan

It is a game that is its own game genre! Play it a lot with the music up loud! Also, watch the ENTIRE intro to the game, do not skip it!

I first played Katamari Damacy in 2008 as an illegal download that I played on my non-modded PS2 using a special boot disk and plastic swipe hooking card. It was not available outside of Japan as I recall so only way to play it really as it is a rare game now. I then bought We ♥ Katamari and finished literally EVERYthing in that game including finding every cousin, reaching every goal on every level on every stage plus doing the 1 million roses bonus level. I then bought Beautiful Katamari and finished that too (but cheated a little and paid for the cousin pack DLC this time around.) If you ever get online Pammie, with the XBOX360 and want to play multiplayer Beautiful Katamari - let me know! It is very different to single player mode - you are trying to collect all you can from the world as an already 'huge' Katamari, and you are trying to slam rush your competitors and grab bits from their Katamari's to get the crown (whomever has the most stuff picked up by their Katamari has the crown) It is like 'capture the flag' mode in FPS.....kind-of.

Please add me to the list: Primordial (Clint)

Last edited by Camibra; 07-02-2012 at 09:10 AM
Camibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Elite Fan

TheAngel - I don't think anyone has played a game like these until they actually play one of these.

Primordial - I added you to the list. that does seem very different. I'm debating getting some more microsoft points (at least one card) at the store so I can get a few more cousin packs. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it said that Katamari Damacy was released first in Japan then the extra units were released to America and Europe and a couple of other countries. One of the countries it said that did not get it was Australian as the game was considered too 'quirky' for the market.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Last edited by AtomicEmpress; 07-03-2012 at 06:42 AM
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Elite Fan

Well I got the bootleg downloaded online and played it from beginning to end a few times anyway. The following Katamari games were released here oddly enough...
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Elite Fan

guess they realized that was a mistake, not releasing it.
-Pammie

Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Elite Fan

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't remember which one my boyfriend has, but I played this a couple of times and it becomes so addictive!

DanceWithLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:35 AM
Elite Fan

I wish there were a real proper new Katamari Damacy game, not the drivel that they did for mobile phones and tablets...
Reply   Post New Thread