Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Master Fan

Green is a nice beasties deck. Most players like to play Green/Red. It's a very agressive combination. You have alot of direct damage in Red which you use for control and then your Green beasts to win.

I'll look for the articles and post the links.

My favorite combination is white/blue Control. I also love Zombie/Clerics. I have a green Elf/Beast deck which is fun. I have 7 decks that I play with. LOL
Old 06-22-2004, 07:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by onionroach
Green is a nice beasties deck. Most players like to play Green/Red. It's a very agressive combination. You have alot of direct damage in Red which you use for control and then your Green beasts to win.

I'll look for the articles and post the links.

My favorite combination is white/blue Control. I also love Zombie/Clerics. I have a green Elf/Beast deck which is fun. I have 7 decks that I play with. LOL
Thats what I was thinking green and red, or go all green..The thing is I'm more than likely going to have enough money to get maybe 3 theme decks and a couple booster packs for now..and trading for some other stuff..how they have it on their you can buy theme decks and booster packs from 8th edition, and like 5 otheres, I don't remember their names I'll have to look and edit them in..

Onslaught, Legions, Scourge, Mirrodin, Darksteel..

so far I hate playing agtinst black and red decks the most, those dang hasted goblins takes 3 or 4 points off before I can get enough blockers out..lol and black just destroys my hand if I don't get the cards in toob play quickly..white is annoying to but not as much as the other two..

I read a part of the magic online guide by Prima, it was about building your first deck, it helped a little, any other help would be more than welcomed..

7? lol thats alot..I don't think I'd be a fan of control decks, form what I read anyway..

Last edited by Joshua; 06-22-2004 at 08:09 PM
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

I have to go searching for the deck building articles so I'll post those later. But the rules of thumb for most decks are:
1. Keep it at 60. (a very hard rule for me to follow but decks are so much more efficient when they are at 60 cards)
2. A third of your cards should be land. With a 60 card deck, that means 20 should be land. If you're running big casting cost spells, then I'd add a few more land. If you're running cheap spells, then you can get by with a couple less.
3. A good basis is to have a third land, a third creatures, and a third supporst (instants, sorceries, enchantments, artifacts).

You proabably already knew that, though.

I do not play with Goblins. They are too agressive for me. My red/black deck is zombies and burn. I can't play aggro decks. I like to sit and manipulate things instead of attacking. LOL My white weenie deck is as aggressive as I get.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I have to go searching for the deck building articles so I'll post those later. But the rules of thumb for most decks are:
1. Keep it at 60. (a very hard rule for me to follow but decks are so much more efficient when they are at 60 cards)
2. A third of your cards should be land. With a 60 card deck, that means 20 should be land. If you're running big casting cost spells, then I'd add a few more land. If you're running cheap spells, then you can get by with a couple less.
3. A good basis is to have a third land, a third creatures, and a third supporst (instants, sorceries, enchantments, artifacts).

You proabably already knew that, though.

I do not play with Goblins. They are too agressive for me. My red/black deck is zombies and burn. I can't play aggro decks. I like to sit and manipulate things instead of attacking. LOL My white weenie deck is as aggressive as I get.
I was thinking 60, around 24 lands, 18 monsters, and 18 supports..

yeah I knew taht, but it doesn't matter..:-D I'm forgeting and always need reminding of something..lol

though I'm not sure which moster I want to use yet, right now I'm thinking about getting 2 or 3 green decks and just taking what I need from them..though I don't know, see? I'm clueless I need help, please help, please? *begs*

I don't like picking and choosing, I'm all for going at them and lossing lol most of the time still..heh
Old 06-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Master Fan

Okay, so you really want to make a green deck. When you pick your monsters, you have to figure out what you want them to do. There's just so many out there and they are good for so many things. 24 land is pretty good for a green deck. You need some cheap casting monsters for the early game with a couple of big beasts for the end game/win. You support should include some control such as fog or naturalizes and some things to help your creatures such as equipment.

Troll Ascetic 1GG can't be the target of spells or ablities your opponents control. 1G: regenerate 3/2 --Mirrodin rare

Fierce Empath 2G when it comes into play, you may search your library for a creature with converted mana cost 6 or more. Show it to players and put into hand. Shuffle library 1/1 --Scourge common (It'll help get cards in your hand and weed out your library)

Thorn Elemental 5GG you may have it deal it's combat damage to defending player as though it weren't blocked 7/7 --8th rare (An annoying card to play against. LOL)

Silvos, Rogue Elemental 3GGG Legend. Trample. G: regenerate it 8/5 --Onslaught rare (A fun card to play with. The cheap regeneration is awesome and trample is pretty cool too. But it's a legend so only one can be out at a time which sucks.)

Naturalize 1G Instant. Destroy artifact/enchantment --8th common

Fireshrieker 3 Artifact Equipment. Equip: 2. Equipped creature has double strike --Mirrodin uncommon (This is a fun equip if you have creatures with trample or creatures like the Thorn Elemental that can do the damage directly, because the creature will do twice the damage, but only for creatures that have trample or are unblocked.)

Getting several theme decks and using cards from them is a good way to get cards. The rares that I listed are expensive to buy. But they're good cards. LOL The Hub has those cards in his green deck.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Master Fan

The lsits are in the links, with links to describing individal cards and their cost and stuff..

ammount of, Name, Rarity

Mirrodin

2 Brown Ouphe U
2 Tel-Jilad Chosen C
1 Slith Predator U
2 Viridian Shaman U
2 Tel-Jilad Exile C
2 Tel-Jilad Archers C
4 Fangren Hunter C
2 Trolls of Tel-Jilad U
1 Plated Slagwurm R
1 Living Hive R
4 Copper Myr C
2 Needlebug U
2 Battlegrowth C
2 Predator's Strike C
1 Deconstruct C
2 Journey of Discovery C
1 Bloodscent U
2 Creeping Mold U
1 One Dozen Eyes U

8th edtion

2 Elvish Pioneer C
1 Fyndhorn Elder U
2 Lone Wolf C
2 Wood Elves C
2 Hunted Wumpus U
1 Nantuko Disciple C
2 Spined Wurm C
1 Llanowar Behemoth U
1 Primeval Force R
1 Rhox R
2 Giant Growth C
1 Naturalize C
2 Rampant Growth C
1 Wing Snare U
1 Lure U
1 Rod of Ruin U

Legions

1 Birchlore Rangers* C
3 Defiant Elf C
1 Elvish Pioneer* C
1 Elvish Scrapper* U
3 Patron of the Wild C
1 Taunting Elf* C
1 Bloodline Shaman* U
2 Gempalm Strider U
3 Stonewood Invoker C
1 Tribal Forcemage R
1 Wellwisher* C
2 Wirewood Elf* C
2 Wirewood Hivemaster U
1 Elvish Warrior* C
2 Everglove Courier* U
2 Timberwatch Elf C
1 Elvish Pathcutter* C
1 Heedless One* U
2 Wirewood Channeler U
2 Elven Riders* U
1 Elvish Soultiller R

66 forests

Plus I have the cards that came with my core set starter thingy, the thing where the cd comes in, I couldn't find a list of what cards are in it..

Last edited by Joshua; 06-24-2004 at 04:35 PM
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Master Fan

above is the list of the cards I got in the theme decks..

Quote:
Okay, so you really want to make a green deck. When you pick your monsters, you have to figure out what you want them to do. There's just so many out there and they are good for so many things. 24 land is pretty good for a green deck. You need some cheap casting monsters for the early game with a couple of big beasts for the end game/win. You support should include some control such as fog or naturalizes and some things to help your creatures such as equipment.

Getting several theme decks and using cards from them is a good way to get cards. The rares that I listed are expensive to buy. But they're good cards. LOL The Hub has those cards in his green deck.
18 monsters I was planning on getting an even ammount of 1, 2, 3 costers and the ammount of any other..so about 9 of each, you can pick and choose from those above of the ones you think I should add.

I'll look into that list you posted

I went ahead and got the Legions, 8th edtion, and Mirrodin green them decks, I'll branch out later after I've played awhile..I'll look at the trading block and see what's being traded
Old 06-24-2004, 08:41 PM
Master Fan

You've got some nice cards to work with. If you are going to make an elf-heavy deck, definately include the timberwatch elf and the wellwisher. Wood elves are great since they will weed out your library. I'd also check into getting some wirewood symbiotes . Their ability to send an elf back into your hand is awesome to use with the wood elves and the fierce empath every turn. It's also great because you can block with an elf and then return the elf to your hand so you can play it again. The symbiote is a great card for elf decks.

The Plated Slagwurm, Living Hive, and Rhox are great end game beasties. The Elvish Soultiller is interesting. I'd also look into an Elvish Piper .

The big thing to watch about decks is not to diversify. Find the cards that you want and put 4 of them in there. It increases your chance of getting your cards and it streamlines your deck.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:17 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
You've got some nice cards to work with. If you are going to make an elf-heavy deck, definately include the timberwatch elf and the wellwisher. Wood elves are great since they will weed out your library. I'd also check into getting some wirewood symbiotes . Their ability to send an elf back into your hand is awesome to use with the wood elves and the fierce empath every turn. It's also great because you can block with an elf and then return the elf to your hand so you can play it again. The symbiote is a great card for elf decks.

The Plated Slagwurm, Living Hive, and Rhox are great end game beasties. The Elvish Soultiller is interesting. I'd also look into an Elvish Piper .

The big thing to watch about decks is not to diversify. Find the cards that you want and put 4 of them in there. It increases your chance of getting your cards and it streamlines your deck.
I right now I just made two decks, out of two of the theme decks, a legion and mirrodin deck, I haven't played much with legion(elf deck), but mirrodin is pretty cool, though I'm not used to it and keep losing lol symbiote, check :-D

it seems like most about building a deck is common sense.. espually if you've played other card games..

I do have a question or two though..okay hows these cards work? Needlebug(Protection from artifacts), Tel-Jilad Exile(regenerate) and Archer(Protection from artifacts), One Dozen Eyes(tokens), trolls of Exile(regenerate target green people)..How does the protection work? the regenerate? What about the tokens? how do those work?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:08 AM
Addicted Fan

it was all about Star Wars CCG for me. i had a rebel and and imp deck. i never was good in the strategy of the game tho..
Old 06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Master Fan

The Needlebug and Archer work the same way. They have protection from abilities and damage that an artifact would do. So if an artifact is attacking you you can have your Needlebug or archer block it and it will take no damage from the artifact while still doing damage to an artifact. Likewise you can have your Needlebug or archer attack and your opponent cannot use an artifact to block it. The same concept aplies to other protections, such as protection from black, protection from red, etc.
Regenerating means that if a creature would be dealt lethal damage, for instance your exile is dealt 3 damage, if you pay the 1G, you can regenerate it so that the lethal damage is removed. When you do this, you must tap your creature unless your creature is already tapped. Also, the regeneration works for once. Let's say that your exile is dealt lethal damage, you regenerate it, then your opponent uses an instant to deal another 3 damage. Unless you have something in your had that can counter the spell or something that can regenerate your exile again, your exile is dead. Trolls of Tel Jilad are cool because if you pay the regeneration cost you can regenerate it or any other targetable green creature.
Token creatures work like any other creature except that you are not casting them from your hand. They are being generated elsewhere. Thus they are tokens and not cards. You treat them like any other creature, they have summoning sickness, they can attack or block. Usually people will use dice as tokens or there are token cards you can purchase. Even coins will work.

Yep, common sense does play a big part in deck building. Once you get the hang of it, though, then the finese comes in and you start building engines. That's fun.

JediBlastoise, I looked into that game at one point. But at the time I was playing LOTR and just starting Magic. CCG are expensive to maintain. LOL
Old 06-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

Josh, here's an interesting article on building decks with combos in them.

Cluster Decks

www.wizards.com has some really interesting articles about cards and deck building.

Also Star City Games has some very good article about decks and deck strategies.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

My son is a regular visitor at wizards.com. I'll have to pass the other links on to him. Sometime when I don't want the computer. He recently discovered that there's a shop about 40 minutes away that has Magic tournaments Friday nights.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Master Fan

I'll check those out here in a minute, I haven't really felt like playing this week.. I've actually been offline a lot..well alot for me anyway..lol
Old 07-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Chris, www.cardshark.com has articles every so often too.

Josh, the starcitygames site that I listed also has mb for online players and stuff.

We taught a couple of my in-laws how to play yesterday. Way too much fun.

I got my box of Fifth Dawn so I'll be spending time reworking my decks.
Reply   Post New Thread