Fan Forum Hero

Voyager [ Book 3 ] #1: "It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach.”

VOYAGER

readers
01. CityGal
02. sourburst
03. lisagslack14
do NOT discuss future books here

Set in the intriguing Scotland of 200 years ago, the third installment in the romantic adventures of Jamie and Claire is as compelling as the first.

Now that Claire knows Jamie survived the slaughter at Culloden, she is faced with the most difficult decision of her life. She aches to travel back through time again to find the love of her life, but, in order to do that, she must leave their daughter behind. It has been 20 years since she and Jamie were forced to separate. Can she risk everything, maybe even her life, on a gamble that their love has withstood the long, rigorous test of time?

Published: October 1, 1994
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Followed: Drums of Autumn

Last edited by sourburst; 12-09-2015 at 08:15 AM
Old 10-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Please add me
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Added! Welcome
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Are these threads for those wanting to read the books together? Or are they for open discussion with regard to the content of those books?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
Are these threads for those wanting to read the books together? Or are they for open discussion with regard to the content of those books?
For those that are reading and have read the books and wishing to discuss the story thus far. It is also the forum to discuss the difference between what is being aired on the STARZ show and the content of the book.

Book contents would be considered spoilers for those only viewing the show with no knowledge of the books.

Do you think I should add this explanation to the OP?
Old 10-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Addicted Fan

^ That might be really helpful. I was just wondering because I finished the book a few days back and would love to have a place to discuss it with others who have read it, so as not to spoil any who haven't. Clear parameters would be wonderful!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM
Addicted Fan

Since it has been a while, I guess I don't mind double-posting ...

Has anyone else finished Voyager or am I the only one in these parts?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

"Only you," he said, so softly I could barely hear him. "To worship ye with my body, give ye all the service of my hands. To give ye my name, and all my heart and soul with it. O n l y y o u .”

- Jamie Fraser, Voyager (Outlander #3)

source X

Last edited by CityGal; 10-09-2014 at 09:53 PM
Old 10-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Updated OP
Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Heather, where are you? Let's discuss this crazy novel!
Old 11-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Fan

I'm here!!!

This book was definitely a crazy unexpected journey! After the way Dragonfly in Amber ended I HAD TO start reading Voyager ASAP! What a cliffhanger that was!

The beginning was interesting and heart wrenching. Seeing Jamie struggle through life without Claire was like getting repeatedly punched in the gut. The situation with Lady Geneva was just so sad!!I loved getting to see a little more of Brianna and Roger during the first couple of parts of the novel. Brianna pushing her mom to leave was so sweet

I expected to be super emotional when Jamie and Claire were reunited for the first time, but very surprisingly I wasn't. I think I built it up too much in my own head, so when I finally got to the scene it wasn't what I had envisioned in my mind. The scene in the book was beautiful though!! I really hope that the show gets to this book because I know that Sam & Cait would slay this scene What really moved me where the scenes following the meeting in the print shop. Hearing the 2 of them profess their love for each other and talk about how neither one of them every forgot the other

After leaving Scotland, I felt like the story dragged a little. I found it harder to get into the story. The whole middle part of this book was a little snoozy for me, but spurts of excitement. I did have to pick my jaw up off the floor a couple of times during this book! Gellis is alive?!?! The Lord Grey revelation?!!? Jamie married Laoghaire MacKenzie!
The ending though was INSANE!! Gellis stealing that picture of Brianna and kidnapping Young Ian was so intense!! I was really afraid that Gellis was going to succeed and go forward in time to kidnap Brianna too! Thankfully Claire & Jamie were able to stop her (hopefully for good!)
Ending up in the States was an interesting twist. I'm glad this book had less of a cliffhanger. I've been enjoying my break from the series, it was much easier to take a break with this kind of ending.

Sorry if this is all over the place
Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Addicted Fan

Be as all over the place as you want, dear. The book certainly doesn't help, as it's a bit all over the place too.

The first part, with Jamie, was incredibly depressing for me. To see him want to die and, for a number of reasons that he can't even begin to control, he doesn't. So very painful. Then to switch to Claire and see that, though she has been successful for 20 years, her marriage to Frank has been filled with pain and trauma ...

This was the book that sealed my distaste for Frank. I really like that the show is trying to flesh him out more as a character, but the fact he was planning to finally leave Claire and take Brianna with him was just the final straw for me -- even with his death right after that. It just makes my blood boil. Like, seriously?! You're going to take your wife's daughter as your own and take her away from her mother?

Pulling over some of my thoughts from the Reign OT thread when I first read the book:
Quote:
While Claire marries Frank for love and Jamie out of necessity, it is her marriage to Jamie that leads to her decision to stay with him rather than return to Frank when she is given the choice and opportunity to do so. Frank comes across as a modern, enlightened and civilized man and Jamie as somewhat of a possessive, barbaric man. Frank worked intelligence for the war, while Jamie freely goes about swinging a broadsword. But Jamie is the better husband. He is the husband who treats her as a partner, who loves her unconditionally and seeks to serve her at every turn. From the first book, when Frank asks Claire about other men and says he understands if she were to have been unfaithful, I get the distinct impression that he's trying to tell her that he himself has been unfaithful and is simply too much of a coward to come out and say it aloud. Anyone who has started DiA knows that Claire is finally trying to piece together what happened to Jamie and the Lallybroch men after she returned through the stones. In the meanwhile, she and Frank have been living together as husband and wife, raising Brianna as their daughter (even though she's obviously Jamie's daughter) because he feels responsible for Claire -- but not because he really still loves her at all. In Voyager you find out that he has repeatedly cheated on Claire and intends to leave Claire and move back to England with his latest mistress, hoping to take Brianna with him. Best I can tell, they are working to seed some of those pieces of Frank's character early on and I think it works really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather8615 (View Post)
I expected to be super emotional when Jamie and Claire were reunited for the first time, but very surprisingly I wasn't. I think I built it up too much in my own head, so when I finally got to the scene it wasn't what I had envisioned in my mind. The scene in the book was beautiful though!! I really hope that the show gets to this book because I know that Sam & Cait would slay this scene What really moved me where the scenes following the meeting in the print shop. Hearing the 2 of them profess their love for each other and talk about how neither one of them every forgot the other
I know we've discussed this in other places when you were first reading this section. For me, I was just a mess. My husband was in Nepal for two weeks a few years back and that wait alone was so agonizing for me. The anticipation of him coming home was almost too much to handle. The thought of 20 years?! The way Gabaldon built up to the moment where Claire saw Jamie in the print shop, it was like I couldn't breathe. I was also the first one from our group to read it, so I had no expectations. It just unfolded before me and left me a happily sobbing mess. If they do get a third season, I thoroughly expect Sam and Cait to slay it, as you've mentioned. One of those epic moments where time will seem to cease ...

The location shifts are nuts and I think there's a lot that is lost when Gabaldon takes the story out of Scotland. I understand why she does it, but then she has to build a new world when it might be a tighter story if she didn't. I thought the jump to the Caribbean (in particular) would be a really rough transition. Reading the description, I was like Seriously?! You're going to the New World? but it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

The Laoghaire business was a fairly bizarre shock to my system. I absolutely loved that Ned was brought back into the picture to sort out all of the legalities.

And Geillis?! More crazy with every book. Somehow, however, even her story seemed plausible. That's why I keep reading, I think. Even though I don't always care for Gabaldon's writing style, she navigates complicated plot structure across books that both manages to surprise me like very little else I've read AND doesn't seem as incredibly far-fetched to which a series about time-traveling through stone circles should lend itself.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

|girlthatreads told me that chapter 39 of Voyager is when everything goes to ****, so of course I’ve been avoiding the book since I reached it.
source

Accurate!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Addicted Fan

^ Very true. That's when the whole story goes bonkers.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Bonkers is such a tame description...don't 'ya think?