Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Fan

^ I can only imagine!!
I felt crazy reading some part of this book!! Thank you for listening to my crazy ranting when I was freaking out You're a good friend Kate!

This book was soooooooooo longggggg!!!! Holy cow! I could barely hold it while I was reading!
TFC was my least favorite to read thus far (it was incredibly dull in places for me) however this book has some of my most favorite moments in the series!! There were times when the moments brought tears to my eyes and simply took my breath away with its beauty. I sincerely hope that the show is allowed to get this far because I know that RDM and the rest of the cast will just blow us away with their rendition.

I love how much the relationship between Roger and Jamie grew in this book. Their relationship started out pretty rocky (assaulting each other isn't the best 1st impression) but I think this was the book where they finally settled into the father/son in law relationship I wished they could have.

IAN'S BACK!!!!!!!!! (This was one of those freak out moments ) I'M SO HAPPY!!!!! The mention of Ian always made me so sad because of how close everyone especially Jamie was with him. I'm so very glad that he's back and back for good!!!

Stephen Bonnet in the swamp area with the ladies at the end !!!!! BIG FREAKOUT on my part!!! Oh my goodness I was so worried!! But man the girls handled him well!!! I LOVED that Marshali (totally spelled that wrong!) and Bree held a gun on him. Germain cheering his mama on to shoot him was the GREATEST. That little boy is just the greatest.

I'm not really surprised that Bree & Roger decided to stay. They don't have anything to go back to in the future. All their family is here in the 18th century. Bree let her mother leave once, I didn't see her leaving Claire again. I;m really happy they stayed though, I'd miss them!!! And I know J & C would too.

That's all I can recall for right now. I'll post more when I think of it!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
Watching Heather read through this one has been highly entertaining!
Yes it has!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Heather! Off topic but your icon is freaking gorgeous Francis!
Old 05-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategrinstead (View Post)
Not quite as dramatic an ending as some of the other books, but I was certainly surprised that Bree and Roger decided not to travel back through the stones -- even though they know now that Jemmy can go, too. I assume they go back at some point ...

The biggest shock for me was everything that happened with Doctor Rawlings and Jocasta. Not quite what I expected at all. The revelation of the other time traveler was interesting, for sure, but I kind of anticipated that would be the vein Gabaldon would take with that story.

All in all, I really am enjoying the later books but they are so loooong.
I agree it wasn't quite as dramatic as I expected at the end end. Leading up to the end had some moments for sure. Like "The Battle at Wylie's Landing"...which was the second time in the book I thought Roger was dead (briefly) And then like Heather mentioned the encounter with Bonnet in the myrtle bushes in Wilmington, with the ladies!? Marsali was so brave, scared but brave! (Germain with his "Shoot him Mama!" or whatever was kind of adorable!) And well Bree just let him have it! I doubt he's dead though...in fact I kind of kept thinking he would make a reappearance again towards the end, but thank goodness he didn't! Like Heather and I discussed via DM on twitter "Bad people are hard to kill" or something along those lines....

There were so many adorable moments with the little ones, Jemmy & Germain. The part where Jemmy was asking "What's balls?" And the whole scene with the Opal exploding!? Then discussion about genes, and rolling/curling your tongue. It was quite humorous the images I had in my head!

That was quite a twist with Dr. Rawlings. I didn't expect that! I did expect that DG would revisit the other time traveler "Otter tooth"? at some point. I still feel like somehow that guy is related to them...but I could be wrong. He sounds a bit like a crazy person so I don't know how I feel about that. And perhaps it will not be revisited at all.

I was pleased with Ian's return as well! He had great timing too!

I'll probably take a break before I start the next one. I would like to listen on audio like I did this part of the time, but it is nice to read an actual book too. I read this one on ebook part of the time, b/c I couldn't get it from the library! The audio version I did check out from the library.

Oh and another thing. There are just way too many characters for me to keep straight in this book series!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

simplified the OP
Old 06-04-2016, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really thought I was somewhere around book 3

Turns out I'm halfway through this one

I don't know what it is, but I can't get through it. I keep sporadically reading a few pages and then not reading for weeks
It's not because I'm disliking the story, that's not it at all.

It might have something to do with the fact that I read the first four back to back in a few weeks. Over-saturation?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

I understand where your coming from because at the moment i'm going through a phase where i read in bits and go about a month without reading.

My mother is currently reading this one.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still haven't continued my read
Old 09-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'll probably re-read soon
Old 09-02-2016, 02:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Look at you going to re-read while I still have to finish my initial read
Old 09-06-2016, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

so he did like some Englishness after all
Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

after they all looked at her so shockingly. I guess it was new and refreshing
Old 11-12-2016, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
so he did like some Englishness after all
Old 11-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Another great quote