Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Episode Discussion | 4x09 ‘The Birds and the Bees’ {AIRS: 30th December, 2018}

4x09 'The Birds and the Bees'
{AIRS: 30th December, 2018}

Brianna’s search for her parents finally comes to an end. The family returns to Fraser’s Ridge,
where Jamie tries to bond with his newfound daughter. Meanwhile, Brianna struggles to
suppress dark memories of the traumatic event that transpired in Wilmington, but Brianna’s
efforts to conceal her pain do not go unnoticed by Claire.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

Absolutely brilliant episode

Sam really knocked it out of the park.

I haven’t read this books yet so Jamie punching Roger was a bit of a shock, does Brianna ever forgive him? And Claire?
Old 12-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Supreme Fan

Excellent acting by everybody ... loved the reunion of the Fraser family, complete with Ian and Murtagh.

Felt bad for both Jamie and Roger in that scenario. All Jamie had to go on is what Lizzie said, and Lizzie didn't see the entire picture ... didn't know that Roger is Lizzie's husband. As far as Lizzie is concerned, Roger is Brianna's rapist, though Claire knows otherwise. When Lizzie tells Ian, and then Jamie that she recognizes Roger from "that night" Jamie acts on instinct and rage for what happened to his daughter. I think when the truth comes to light, and things are clarified (first for Lizzie, the poor dear) Jamie will feel bad for acting so brashly. That's definitely an awkward father-in-law/son-in-law moment.

The episode also shows some of Brianna's naivete. As far as she knows, Roger "didn't" so the baby can't be his ... I wish that she hadn't said that. Claire then adds "withdrawal method" ... so that she's adding to the television viewers' belief that ONLY Bonnet can be the baby's father. Would have been better for it to truly be between both men, though the mystery IS cleared up later on.

Loved how Brianna told Claire that Frank knew that she had returned to Jamie through the stones ... probably clarified a lot.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Last edited by Wes&FredFan; 12-30-2018 at 07:42 PM
Old 12-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Loyal Fan

I really loved this episode. My favorite moment was obviously ↓

also, is there a thread for Jamie x Brianna? If not, I would love to make one.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 AM
Master Fan

I think it's why he was cold and wanted the divorce, as well as asked Brianna to come with him to England. He finally gave up completely and got bitter. Who knows, maybe it was why he humiliated her.

I loved this episode until she revealed that Bonnet got her pregnant. What bugs me is that Claire is a doctor and doesn't know that the withdrawal method isn't reliable and can still get you pregnant.

If they kill Roger, I'm done with this show. I know Lizzie doesn't have the full story, but I'm terrified for him. He'll never get the chance to say sorry for being stupid and sexist and they won't be able to go back to the 60's and have a church wedding.

I also want both of them to meet Fergus and Marsali, since she has a stepsister and stepbrother.

I love Lizzie's crush on Ian. He deserves some happiness after the crap Geillis put him through. He's such an adorable little scamp.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to talk about this episode. I managed to watch it a day early and have been bursting at the seams! The whole time watching this episode me and my better half had smiles on our faces.

Jamie finally meeting Brianna is crazy! I was so happy, but at the same time I was thinking he’s carrying so many photos of her and dreamed about her and didn’t recognise her?

I’m glad they sorted out that plot hole I spoke about, the one where Brianna already saw the article with Frank. And i’m Glad Claire now knows how nice Frank actually was to let her go.

I loved getting to see Brianna and Jamie bond, but I think brianna needs to give him a bit of a break because it’s not his fault he never got to see her for 21 years.

Brianna finally telling Claire about Bonnet was a relief but aroger getting beat up was horrible. I love that Jamie loves her so much he was willing to kill him, but I was just screaming Roger try and say something. I have a feeling because Jamie doesn’t like Roger for leaving Brianna, that now when he finds out her beat him within an inch of his life he’ll be more willing to be nice to him.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:33 PM
Supreme Fan

I was cringing during the Claire/Brianna sex talk ... specifically the moment that Claire asked Brianna why she didn't think to use "precautions." Just what Brianna wanted to talk about in that moment ... seriously? Brianna's reply, "I didn't think I needed to bring a pack of condoms, Mom!" Truth - Roger and Brianna weren't expecting to have sex at all, let alone be married/handfast and consummate the marriage. Just wish they didn't have Claire elaborate on it in that scene, especially since Roger would really have no reason to practice contraception since he and Brianna were now wed. Unless he did it to protect Brianna (let's face it - the 18th century is definitely NOT the ideal time for a woman to have a baby, when compared with the 1970s) from dying in childbirth.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-01-2019, 04:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animefan99 (View Post)
Absolutely brilliant episode

Sam really knocked it out of the park.

I haven’t read this books yet so Jamie punching Roger was a bit of a shock, does Brianna ever forgive him? And Claire?
yes!!!!
Old 01-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I was cringing during the Claire/Brianna sex talk ... specifically the moment that Claire asked Brianna why she didn't think to use "precautions." Just what Brianna wanted to talk about in that moment ... seriously? Brianna's reply, "I didn't think I needed to bring a pack of condoms, Mom!" Truth - Roger and Brianna weren't expecting to have sex at all, let alone be married/handfast and consummate the marriage. Just wish they didn't have Claire elaborate on it in that scene, especially since Roger would really have no reason to practice contraception since he and Brianna were now wed. Unless he did it to protect Brianna (let's face it - the 18th century is definitely NOT the ideal time for a woman to have a baby, when compared with the 1970s) from dying in childbirth.
This. Seriously-Claire messed up, big-time. Not only didn't she need to remind her of precautions, she needed to tell her that Roger could still be the father. I refuse to believe that the withdrawal method worked completely. I'm slow as hell since it's on audiobook, but I did buy most of the series on Audiobook.

I think Roger didn't because he expected to convince her to come home after she warned Jamie and Claire. Frank is still the father she worships and adores, even if she and Jamie are starting to bond. They have good lives in the future and there's no need to give it up. She's a grown woman and only needs to spend so much time with Jamie. She's studying engineering and having a decent job in the 18th century is unheard of for a woman. She's even more modern than Claire was at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
I feel like I’ve been waiting forever to talk about this episode. I managed to watch it a day early and have been bursting at the seams! The whole time watching this episode me and my better half had smiles on our faces.

Jamie finally meeting Brianna is crazy! I was so happy, but at the same time I was thinking he’s carrying so many photos of her and dreamed about her and didn’t recognise her?

I’m glad they sorted out that plot hole I spoke about, the one where Brianna already saw the article with Frank. And i’m Glad Claire now knows how nice Frank actually was to let her go.

I loved getting to see Brianna and Jamie bond, but I think brianna needs to give him a bit of a break because it’s not his fault he never got to see her for 21 years.

Brianna finally telling Claire about Bonnet was a relief but aroger getting beat up was horrible. I love that Jamie loves her so much he was willing to kill him, but I was just screaming Roger try and say something. I have a feeling because Jamie doesn’t like Roger for leaving Brianna, that now when he finds out her beat him within an inch of his life he’ll be more willing to be nice to him.
He didn't really give Roger a chance to speak, he just beat him up. I wish Lizzie had asked who that man was. It would have prevented this b,s.

Frank loved Claire, even if she didn't love him anymore when she came back. He was being a jerk when he didn't want to have sex with her, but I get it. She did break his heart and I wish she had loved them both, but in different ways. I don't know if anyone watched The Vampire Diaries, but I love that line. It was okay to love them both. I miss his character sorely, even if Jamie and Claire stopped being boring this season. He looked like he was in so much pain in that flashback. He couldn't tell Brianna either way because it would hurt him. Her being his only family made me so sad.

I think Brianna is being like this because she doesn't know how to feel or react to anything. It probably hurts Jamie to hear her call Frank "daddy" or "my father",but they're strangers. On her side, she needs to realize that he had to give her up. He wants to know her and hated the years he missed, but she's an adult and he doesn't know what to say. He knows how to be a dad because of Marsali and Joannie, but he didn't get to raise his other child. Actually having the chance to recognize and bond with his own kid is a big deal.

I'm surprised that he didn't recognize her, either. It was weird, although she only resembles him by her red hair. She's all Claire otherwise.

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 01-01-2019 at 02:21 PM
Old 01-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Supreme Fan

It might have been surreal for him, seeing her in period clothes. Or the fact he had no plans on seeing her ever in his lifetime, and now she was standing right there.

I realize that this is just a fluke, but I like that Ian and Brianna do have a nice resemblance that you can believe they're cousins.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

ive said this like a milion times already, but poor roger!!
Old 01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
This. Seriously-Claire messed up, big-time. Not only didn't she need to remind her of precautions, she needed to tell her that Roger could still be the father. I refuse to believe that the withdrawal method worked completely.
Given the fact that Brianna had already told Claire that she and Roger were handfast, the whole "You didn't think to use precautions?" conversation seemed ill-timed. Um, no Mom ... first I came through the stones two centuries into the past to warn you and Da of your death in a fire, had an awkward encounter with Da's bitter ex, and then risked disease and illness on a boat to cross the Atlantic. Didn't think to pack condoms since I didn't expect to see Roger at all again.

They didn't even need to indicate that it happened that way at all. Just let it be known that Brianna and Roger consummated their marriage shortly before Brianna had been raped, so that it really could have been either man. Though of course we know the true paternity is confirmed down the line . But they're gonna need to fix it on the show, because the way they have it now they're trying to portray Roger as having NO chance of being the father.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 01-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
Given the fact that Brianna had already told Claire that she and Roger were handfast, the whole "You didn't think to use precautions?" conversation seemed ill-timed. Um, no Mom ... first I came through the stones two centuries into the past to warn you and Da of your death in a fire, had an awkward encounter with Da's bitter ex, and then risked disease and illness on a boat to cross the Atlantic. Didn't think to pack condoms since I didn't expect to see Roger at all again.

They didn't even need to indicate that it happened that way at all. Just let it be known that Brianna and Roger consummated their marriage shortly before Brianna had been raped, so that it really could have been either man. Though of course we know the true paternity is confirmed down the line . But they're gonna need to fix it on the show, because the way they have it now they're trying to portray Roger as having NO chance of being the father.
It was ill-timed and insensitive. I hate that there's no chance of Roger being the father. Pulling out is a stupid form of birth control and I hope that when he finds out she's pregnant, Roger will clarify that they had sex before the rape happened. Brianna isn't very educated on sexual matters if she thinks there's no chance that he could be the father.

If it is Bonnett's baby, she needs to go home. Is is it still the sixties or is it the 70's now? I'm wondering whether abortion is possible.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

but there's no way of telling who the father is at this point
Old 01-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Master Fan

ive seen this scene like 20 times already!

https://youtu.be/xM48Ten6WvM