Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Episode Discussion | 4x08 ‘Wilmington’ {AIRS: 23rd December, 2018}

4x08 'Wilmington'
{AIRS: 23rd December, 2018}

Roger's diligent search for Brianna pays off when he finds her in Wilmington, but their
romantic reunion comes to an abrupt halt when she discovered pertinent information
that he intentionally kept from her.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hope everyone is enjoying episode 50!!!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

Despite the fact that it was good for the most part, the ending made me vomit. I kept hoping that Roger would somehow hear something and come save her, but nope. That guy was despicable before, but now he's a monster. I'm still hoping she runs into him and tells him what happened.

I didn't like Roger's attitude, though. She had every right to be angry with him and he was being sexist. It's ironic, because Fergus and Marsali are from the past and they seem to have a fairly healthy marriage where they're on even footing.

It was so cool seeing George Washington, although it sucks that he got blamed for Murtagh's escape.

I can't wait for next week, though. Father and daughter will meet for the first time.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Supreme Fan

I loved the Roger/Brianna parts, though I hated the fight. I could see both sides - he thought he was sparing her some pain, since she was relieved that Claire did find Jamie in the past and Claire's death would have actually occurred 2 centuries earlier. And of course she found out, but didn't share it with him either, or her plan to go through the stones to the past ... so they both kept something from the other. There was no way of knowing that Brianna could even save her mother without knowing how the fire happened, or when. So putting her through pain that she couldn't prevent would be hard, but she had a point - she at least deserved to know. They had a great passionate love scene.

It was cool seeing Claire save the day, and meet George Washington. She acted like she was meeting a rock star .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 12-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I loved the Roger/Brianna parts, though I hated the fight. I could see both sides - he thought he was sparing her some pain, since she was relieved that Claire did find Jamie in the past and Claire's death would have actually occurred 2 centuries earlier. And of course she found out, but didn't share it with him either, or her plan to go through the stones to the past ... so they both kept something from the other. There was no way of knowing that Brianna could even save her mother without knowing how the fire happened, or when. So putting her through pain that she couldn't prevent would be hard, but she had a point - she at least deserved to know. They had a great passionate love scene.

It was cool seeing Claire save the day, and meet George Washington. She acted like she was meeting a rock star .

IKR? Then again, she was a historian's wife.

My beef with Roger wasn't what he did, it was the sexist way he behaved during their argument. I think it's what pissed her off the most, too. She has to listen to him? Wtf?

Claire's child listening to something a man commands her to?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:09 PM
Supreme Fan

Felt bad for Claire when she mentioned the cherry trees ... awkward .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 PM
Loyal Fan

I really liked the episode. The ending was sad though. I was also hoping that Roger would jump in and save her... but I reckon if/when he finds out, he's going to go after that thief. Whether they're in an argument or not, Roger, I would think, still sees Brianna as his wife, and he vowed to protect her from everything.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:19 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterFreak001 (View Post)
I really liked the episode. The ending was sad though. I was also hoping that Roger would jump in and save her... but I reckon if/when he finds out, he's going to go after that thief. Whether they're in an argument or not, Roger, I would think, still sees Brianna as his wife, and he vowed to protect her from everything.
I don't doubt that for a moment and I'm sure that it'll happen, she just needs to meet Jamie first. I assume the rape was in the book, but it's starting to bug me. Thank god we didn't see Ian, but it's like every member of the family has to have something happen to them. I'm just glad that Claire can attend to her physical symptoms.

It wasn't necessarily a trigger, but it made me very upset and more than a little nauseous.

OT: You like Poldark,too? I don't know anyone who even knows about the show, let alone watches it. I feel bad for them. Morwenna is too screwed up to let him near her and their happy ending is more than a little bittersweet.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:38 AM
Master Fan

i think we all think alike. i loved their scenes together. very natural and special. not the end of course. i knew that would happen but still, didnt like it at all. and its different from what happens in the book. the reason roger says he did that.

What i thought was really weird is that they fight, ok. but with the fight they just go apart. it doesnt make much sense to me. i mean, they were in hell to be together again and than, because of a fight, they are apart in a different century.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Love (View Post)
i think we all think alike. i loved their scenes together. very natural and special. not the end of course. i knew that would happen but still, didnt like it at all. and its different from what happens in the book. the reason. roger says he did that.

What i thought was really weird is that they fight, ok. but with the fight they just go apart. it doesnt make much sense to me. i mean, they were in hell to be together again and than, because of a fight, they are apart in a different century.
This is what bugs me,though. Why is there so much rape in this story? Is it really necessary? It’s kind of putting me off on reading the books.

I think Brianna is just strong-willed and doesn’t always think things through.
Old 12-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
This is what bugs me,though. Why is there so much rape in this story? Is it really necessary? It’s kind of putting me off on reading the books.

I think Brianna is just strong-willed and doesn’t always think things through.
the only thing i can think of about the authors vision of how things were in that time. At least is what i can only think of it makes sense.
i have no idea how things were on 1770s but the books and the show of course, make me thing rape was a common thing (not normal and natural of course). it used to happen a lot.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Love (View Post)
the only thing i can think of about the authors vision of how things were in that time. At least is what i can only think of it makes sense.
i have no idea how things were on 1770s but the books and the show of course, make me thing rape was a common thing (not normal and natural of course). it used to happen a lot.

I believe you are right. There's a lot of rape back in that day. Remember for the most part women were thought of being property of men.

April
Old 12-27-2018, 03:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

I’ve never seen you at the Poldark threads? I’ve created a few around the forum. I assumed me and Lindsay were the only ones who watched the show. Being British I’ve watched it since the day it aired and read all the books.

I feel like doing some reading on American history as I know nothing. Although, it seems like Claire suddenly knows everything. Every person in history and every single operation, is she Wonder Woman?

Honestly, I enjoyed this episode. Very disturbing with Brianna, but glad we didn’t see it. I hated how they did the same first sex scene and Claire and Jamie though. Was pretty creepy. Like the same angles of Briannas naked body and then saying the same things Jamie did go Claire.

I loved the little bits we got with Fergus and Marsali. So lovely when she said she’d do anything for her son, even kill. It foreshadowed what would happen to Brianna.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Supreme Fan

I noticed that too. First we watched Claire "de-flower" Jamie, and then Roger with Brianna. The only weird thing was the exact post-coital discussion, where Jamie asks Claire if she liked it, and Brianna asked Roger if he did.

I really hope we get a scene with Roger/Jamie ... the classic "father-in-law meets daughter's husband" moment .
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 12-31-2018, 12:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
I’ve never seen you at the Poldark threads? I’ve created a few around the forum. I assumed me and Lindsay were the only ones who watched the show. Being British I’ve watched it since the day it aired and read all the books.

I feel like doing some reading on American history as I know nothing. Although, it seems like Claire suddenly knows everything. Every person in history and every single operation, is she Wonder Woman?

Honestly, I enjoyed this episode. Very disturbing with Brianna, but glad we didn’t see it. I hated how they did the same first sex scene and Claire and Jamie though. Was pretty creepy. Like the same angles of Briannas naked body and then saying the same things Jamie did go Claire.

I loved the little bits we got with Fergus and Marsali. So lovely when she said she’d do anything for her son, even kill. It foreshadowed what would happen to Brianna.
I'm lazy and don't come on FF as much as I used to. I have book 1, but I haven't read it yet.

We still had to see her walking away. At least with poor little Ian, we didn't even hear his screams or cries. I didn't notice the details of the sex scenes, but I did get a sense of deja vu.

I loved the Fergus and Marsali bits too. I enjoy their relationship a lot more. He'd never talk to her the way Roger talked to Brianna and neither would give up after one fight. I do want them to move to Fraser's Ridge and be a family with the others.

I just assumed Claire knew because of Frank being a historian and her daughter majoring in American History.

I know rape was common back then, but every member of the Fraser family has been raped except for Claire and Marsali. Even then, Randall tried to rape her twice. It's just gross and I feel like rape scenes and storylines should be done sparingly and only to directly affect the plot. I didn't feel like raping Brianna added anything to it, aside from placing suspicion on Roger.

It would have just been nice if some of them hadn't been raped.