Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2017, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Episode Discussion | 3x08 'First Wife' {AIRS: 5th November, 2017}

3x08 'First Wife'
{AIRS: 5th November, 2017}

Jamie takes Claire home to Lallybroch, where Claire gets an icy reception from Jenny. Claire
discovers that Jamie married a widowed Laoghaire, who accidentally shoots him during a
confrontation. Jamie recovers thanks to penicillin Claire brought from the future. Ned Gowan
negotiates a settlement with Laoghaire, and Jamie decides to retrieve the treasure on Silky
Isle to pay it. Young Ian swims to the island in an injured Jamie's place, and Jamie and Claire
are horrified to see the boy forcibly taken aboard a ship and carried off.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Loyal Fan

I feel for both of them. The 20 years they were both apart, not knowing they were ever going to see one another ever again. They will make it through the problem. My only problem was the whole ending of this episode and that ship just showing up the way it did.

Last edited by ByGoneYrs; 11-07-2017 at 09:15 AM
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Passionate Fan

Man, I can't stand Laoghaire! Every time she is on my screen I just glare at her, lol. It was the same in the first season as well. There is just something obnoxious about her. I do feel sorry for her if she was abused though.

I'm curious as to whether Jenny will ever find out the truth of why Claire left and couldn't write or come back. Good to see Ned again.

I'm a bit confused as to how young Ian was planning to get that treasure chest back across the water. Surely he couldn't swim with it? Wouldn't it be quite heavy?

I have no clue what is up with that ship. It seems a bit odd that it landed, scooped up young Ian and then immediately set sail again...

~Katie~
Old 11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Ugh Laoghaire. That girl just gets on my nerves. I do feel bad for her in regards to whichever husband it was that abused her though.

I think this is one of my favorite episodes of the season so far. I thought they handled it well, though even knowing what would happen, I kept yelling for Jamie to just tell Claire the truth. I can understand him being afraid she'd leave, but come on man. Then when he made the comment about how Claire told him to be nice to her, oh man. I wanted to smack him for that.

Loved Marsali and Joanie. Jamie's scene with Joanie broke my heart, especially when she ran back to hug him. The look on his face.

Yay for Claire pointing out that Jamie made her go through the stones. It was the right decision given the circumstances, but he was acting like she'd left him because she wanted to.

I was wondering how young Ian was planning on getting the treasure chest across the water too!

The ship showing up at just the right moment was an eye-rolling moment for me. I felt that way reading the book too.

But overall, a solid episode for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Master Fan

It's ironic. She wanted Jamie so bad and when she had him,she was too damaged to be with him.

I disliked this episode,period. The only good parts were the girls and Ian's scenes with Claire. I know Jenny was mad,but she really let Claire have it. In the most passive-aggressive manner,too.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

This was a very interesting episode. Can't sympathise with Laoghaire at all though. Her shooting Jamie, although an accident, was bound to happen.

I did love Ian and Claire.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

Well,the abuse part is kind of sad. Even if she's just plain awful,she didn't deserve to be beaten and probably raped. I mean,why else would she be afraid of Jamie?

She was being stupid when she shot him. Their marriage was in name only and he had moved away. Yes,he broke the children's hearts,but she didn't love Jamie. If she did,he wouldn't have left. He would have had something to hold onto. They didn't really have a relationship,he was just a loving father to the children.

Marsali and Joanni are the real victims here. That poor child lost yet another father and unlike Marsali,she'll never see him again.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wouldn’t say they lost a father per say. He did say he will always be there for them. My dad split from my mom when I was child, I still used to see him from time to time. My mother didn’t like it, but it happened. Soon Jamie will have no choice but to look after them both anyway.

Jamie said something must have happened to her, but he was all speculation. I’ll wait to hear it from her mouth before I believe anything Jamie says. He’s untrustworthy.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Master Fan

Yeah,he hasn't been making the greatest decisions lately. He had no right to lie to Clare like that and made her look like a fool.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm trying not to hate his character this series, but it is hard.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Master Fan

Well,I'm having the same problem with Clare. I don't hate her,but she annoys me. The fact that things were so awkward with Jamie made me mad. She withdrew from Frank for all this b.s. and Jamie isn't even the same. The way she behaved with Ian was so stupid and so was expecting Jenny to welcome her back.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Literally can't comprehend what you've just posted. Claire hasn't done anything wrong?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:02 AM
Fan Forum Star