Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Episode Discussion | 3x03 'All Debts Paid' {AIRS: 24th September, 2017}

3x03 'All Debts Paid'
{AIRS: 10th September, 2017}

In prison, Jamie discovers that an old foe has become the warden – and now has the power
to make his life a living hell. Over the years, Claire and Frank both put their best foot forward
to share a harmonious marriage, but an uninvited guest shatters this illusion, bringing their
differences to light.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Loyal Fan

I can't wait to watch the next episode live tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

I enjoyed this episode a lot more than episode 2. I'll come back soon and edit with my full review.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Master Fan

I agree I also liked it more than episode one. But than again I a little bus's when it comes to this episode.

-Lisa-
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

certainly not my definition of good
Old 09-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

So much happened I can't even begin to contemplate. Lord John Grey was phenomenal!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Master Fan

Yes that he was

edit would now be to soon to creat a thread for him

-Lisa-

Last edited by lisagslack14; 09-24-2017 at 04:24 PM
Old 09-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Passionate Fan

Lord Grey was really good. Good actor choice.

I felt so bad for Frank...and normally I'm not really that much of a fan of his! I know it was totally unintentional...but Claire did kind of ruin his life. I mean I really feel badly for Claire too, because I don't know what her options really were. The whole situation is just painful.

That little over the shoulder smile that Brianna gave to her parents at her graduation sure reminded me of Jamie!

So happy to see Murtagh again. I didn't realize they were going a different route with him than the books took.

~Katie~
Old 09-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Loyal Fan

I like the episode greatly, and it really did explain elements of the plot and I liked it. I too felt sorry for Frank because he is the tragic hero.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:18 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon (View Post)
Lord Grey was really good. Good actor choice.

I felt so bad for Frank...and normally I'm not really that much of a fan of his! I know it was totally unintentional...but Claire did kind of ruin his life. I mean I really feel badly for Claire too, because I don't know what her options really were. The whole situation is just painful.

That little over the shoulder smile that Brianna gave to her parents at her graduation sure reminded me of Jamie!

So happy to see Murtagh again. I didn't realize they were going a different route with him than the books took.
I've alway felt bad for Frank and she made me mad in last season's finale. Now that we know that they had a crappy marriage for years and he did meet someone who loved him,it's not as bad. I don't even feel bad for Claire about her graduation. He was being vindictive,but she never had any idea about how he truly felt. She lied to Bree about loving him. She hadn't loved him since she wound up in Scotland.

Claire should have insisted they divorce. She said she'd let him see Bree,so it wouldn't have been an issue. I hate that he was given the chance to be happy and remarry,but he died before he got to.

I liked John Gray and felt sorry for him. Being gay in those days was hard and he actually tried to make a gesture,but had the reaction he always feared.

What route were they going to take with Murtagh? I'm still working on book 1.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dragon (View Post)
Really? I hated him this episode... it's by far the worse he's ever been portrayed. Claire was straight up honest about Jamie from the start, Frank knew and he promised to stay with her still if she left him behind. Which she did, so good on her. Then she could see he weren't happy so she let him sleep with other people. That's also good of her, whatever works right? Then he brings one to the house... which is bang out of order... so she gives him a way out with custardy rights to Brienne, he turned it down. What more did he want? Then he stayed with her and ruined her happiness for a few more years and then asked for his own way out and to take her daughter away?! No. Frank was a complete arse.

She offered him a fair way out, so he could be happy. With custardy rights to Brienne. And he ruined her happiness for 18 years, then decided he wanted out and on top of that straight up take Brienne off her? Not to mention even though he was sleeping with other people (and she weren't) she still made effort, trying to get him to be involved with her and Brienne by going to the theatre.

I am completely pro-Claire in this episode.

And as for Claire loving frank, I think she did very much. She loved him enough to try after they knew their marriage was broken, even though he showed no effort. She was strong in her love for Frank. It's not fair to target how much Claire loved Frank and belittle it. He was her first love, we've got evidence of that book 1 and series 1.

Nothing against Tobias though, he was amazing. Plays a excellent drunk.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:15 AM
Master Fan

The episode was really good and tragic. I also have to agree that Claire could have made the choice not to be with Frank. I’m not making any excuses for her. I wish Frank left Claire and just been there for Bree. He loved that girl and treated her amazingly and she loved him back. Frank would have had a better life with a woman who actually loved him back. And Sandy was beautiful and seemed like a wonderful individual. I’ve always felt that Frank got the raw end of the deal. However, the speech that Claire made over Frank’s body was lovely and I wished she had told him that sooner. I always been pro Frank fan.

Scenes with Jamie and Grey was nice. I liked the bond that they formed with one another. I’ve never been the biggest Outlander fan or a fan in general of Claire and Jamie, but I’m anxious to see how they find one another again. I can’t wait to see what happens next with Jamie, and Claire, now that Frank is truly gone.

Archie Andrews &Veronica Lodge
~Riverdale~
icon:Alexa|
Name:Marah
Old 09-25-2017, 04:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think Frank should have either listened to Claire in the first place when she told him he didn't have to, or he should have taken the way out when she offered it to him. I think the three of them would have been a whole lot better and they all would have been happy. Brienna could have divided her time between them, Frank could have been with the one he loved and Claire wouldn't have felt guilty for working all the time.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
Claire was straight up honest about Jamie from the start, Frank knew and he promised to stay with her still if she left him behind. Which she did, so good on her.
I feel bad for Frank because initially he still loved her so much that a) he wanted to take care of her and the baby anyway...I think in that time period it would NOT have been that easy to be a single Mom even if they shared custody. b) He wanted to make it work, even though he was heartbroken that she had fallen in love with someone else. Claire *didn't* leave Jamie behind. He was the third person in the bed all the time and I can't imagine how painful that would be. He was rejected over and over again.

Quote:
so she gives him a way out with custady rights to Brienne, he turned it down. What more did he want? Then he stayed with her and ruined her happiness for a few more years and then asked for his own way out and to take her daughter away?! No. Frank was a complete arse.
I think it was explained in the episode, why he turned it down. He was afraid of losing all rights to Bree because Claire might change her mind and the children typically go with the mother in that time period. I don't think he 'ruined her happiness'...it's not like she would have married again or that she wanted to move on. I think she did enjoy the benefits of not being a divorced woman in society and I think she also wanted to maintain the facade for Bree's benefit.

It was cruel of him to try to take Brienne at the end. I'm definitely not arguing with that. I'm not saying Claire hasn't been in an awful position. Pretty much all the other episodes I've tended to feel the most for Claire. I just felt badly for Frank especially in this episode when you realize he lived the hell of losing his beloved wife, then she came back pregnant and in love with another man, and then you spent much of the next 18 years struggling with the ghost of the other man, and dealing with an absent (emotionally and physically) wife. It sounds like Frank did most of the parenting with Bree. That's hard. And then when he was finally going to move on and not risk losing his daughter...he died.

I do agree that Claire continued to love Frank..very much. She just wasn't in love with him anymore and never loved him as much as she loved Jamie.

~Katie~
Old 09-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Passionate Fan

I think the whole part of what was so tragic about the whole Frank/Claire marriage was that there was no clear right or wrong. It was just a painful situation where both parties made wrong choices, even when sometimes those choices were made with the best of intentions.

It's interesting to me because I vividly remember when I read the books being so over Frank and thinking he was just the worst. I was totally team Claire. But I think the creators of this show, and of course TM's performance, have completely changed that for me. Now it's much more of a gray area. There isn't a clear person to lay blame to. And I think that makes for a much more interesting show.

I'm really curious to see where they go with Murtagh since that was a definite change from the book. Wonder if we'll see him pop up again during one of the later seasons?

And I've been loving Jamie's storyline in every episode. Can't say I'm surprised since that's also how it was when I was reading the book. SH's performance has just gutted me in every episode so far.
For I have lied, and killed, and stolen; betrayed and broken trust. But there is the one thing that shall lie in the balance. When I shall stand before God, I shall have one thing to say, to weigh against the rest. Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.” -Jamie Fraser
Lyns