Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Diana's post contain story spoilers, but her explanation is an interesting one.

Quote:
Taken from Diana Gabaldon’s Facebook:
Well, it isn’t the first time I’ve been misquoted or misunderstood—human nature and the limits of communication and context being what they are, it’s bound to happen now and then, and over the course of 25 years, you run into some doozies.

Generally speaking, I just tactfully ignore such occurrences, as often enough, an attempt to clarify or correct things starts a discussion that draws attention to the original misconception, as much as it does to the correction. So I’m of two minds about doing it now, but as more than one person has drawn my attention to mentions of it—and since it goes back to something I’ve already talked about—I thought I would.

I saw a fairly nice review of the PaleyFest panel on a well-known website, listing ten things the reader probably didn’t know about Outlander, but was taken aback that #10 was an item saying I had a weird sense of humor. I do, as anyone who’s read anything I write is well aware, but this reviewer specified that I had made an off-color joke that caused the audience to gasp in horror, though following it up with a compliment to Sam and Tobias.

I’m glad he mentioned that compliment, as otherwise, I’d have no idea what the heck he meant. I mean—I don’t make off-color jokes. Edgy ones, sometimes, but…what?

Tracing it back, apparently this person was referring to a remark of mine in answer to a question, wherein I referred to something I’d said more than a year ago, at the first Fan Event for the show in LA, in January of 2014.

At that 2014 event, one questioner asked the panel (me, Ron, Sam and Caitriona) which scene each of us was most looking forward to seeing on the screen. In the way of panels, one of the answers took the conversation down a different path before it came to me, so I didn’t answer that one. I had been _ thinking _ what to answer, though—and therefore, when another person asked me, specifically, that question later, I answered truthfully.

I turned to Sam Heughan and said, “I trust you’ll take this in the spirit intended, Sheugs—but
Spoiler:
This got a loud roar (of laughter, not offense) from the crowd, topped immediately by that in response to Sam’s come-back: “I’m quite looking forward to that myself.”

We were—of course—both referring to the challenge of acting those particular scenes. I’d seen only a couple of months of the show’s dailies at that point, but enough to know just how capable and powerful an actor he is. Seeing someone who’s Really Good at something _ do_ the thing they’re Really Good at is a great thrill—and that’s why people pay money to watch professional athletes and entertainers; it’s a rare thing. And seeing someone make a basket from center court with 1 second on the clock is a lot more thrilling than seeing the same person make a good layup shot with a long lead.

Now, there were one or two people who asked me—directly, online in various venues—_ what _ I had meant by that, and I explained, as above. Noting also that I was not (as one or two suggested) “being mean to Sam.” We’re friends; the thought of being mean to him would never cross my mind. But I do appreciate his quickness of mind, which I’ve had occasion to admire, and I _ knew _ he’d have a good comeback to that.

In fact, he beautifully illustrated the deeper point: the reason why Bad Things happen to people in my books is not to excite the reader in a watching-a-train-wreck ghoulish sort of way. It’s to reveal the true nature and deep character of the person to whom the bad thing happens—in a way that you simply don’t get when a person is responding to the normal vicissitudes of life.

(Diana writes of the specific story point and offers and responds.)
Spoiler:
I’ve always replied that 1) that’s what happened; I had to write it down, and 2) it’s necessary; it completes the arc of Jamie and Claire’s bonding and love. (I’m going to put up a piece tomorrow that’s about that, specifically, but don’t want to overwhelm y’all with a lot of Stuff today.)

Ron naturally appreciated the reason behind those scenes, which is why they’re in the show—and _ beautifully _ done. But my point here is—look how Sam responded to my remark. The people who saw him do that came away with a much greater appreciation for his coolness, quickness and wit than they had before he said it. Pressure brings out the best in people.

So. During the PaleyFest panel, someone asked me about those scenes, and I prefaced my answer by referring to the earlier event, saying, “As I once famously said to Sheugs there,
Spoiler:
and then went on to say how remarkable those scenes were, and how much I admired Sam and Tobias. Those were _ not_ easy scenes to play, and it took a lot of courage, as well as immense talent, to do what they did. And that’s what I said, and that’s what I meant.
http://outlandersassenach.tumblr.com...cebook-well-it
Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

An interesting read, thank you for posting that. Thanks for the spoiler tags too
Old 03-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yw
Old 03-19-2015, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Need more news from her
Old 03-19-2015, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hopefully more in the upcoming week
Old 03-26-2015, 02:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

The week before Diana feed me
Old 04-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

i love that she's posting it too
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think I'm going to cry....

Quote:
A Few Words From the Author…

About eighteen months ago, I met Sam Heughan for the first time in the flesh. Nice guy. Three days later, while sitting on a stage with the aforementioned Mr. Heughan, a fan in the audience asked me what scene (from OUTLANDER) was I most looking forward to seeing filmed?

I’d actually been thinking about this, because the question had been asked generally of the whole panel a few minutes earlier, but the course of the conversation had changed before I got to answer. I don’t know _what_ I might have said if I’d answered the question the first time, but as it was, I _did_ have time to think about it.

And, addressing Mr. Heughan, I said, “I hope you’ll take this in the spirit intended, Sheugs---but I really want to see you raped and tortured.”

The uproarious response from the audience—who evidently thought it was a joke—gave Mr. H. roughly twenty seconds of grace, which is, believe me, plenty for him. Ten to sit there looking gob-smacked and ten to think, and the moment the roar died down, he said mildly, “Oh—I’m quite looking forward to that myself.”

Cue rolling in the aisles…

Now, there was a bit of online follow-up from this, with most people still thinking the whole exchange was hilarious, but with a few people wondering out loud what kind of person would _say_ what I’d said?! (And yet these same people read my books…remarkable…)

In fact, there were a couple of factors involved in what I’d said: one of those was that, while I’d just met Sam H. in person, I’d known him quite well for six months; we’d met each other electronically on Twitter within moments of his being cast to play Jamie, and became friends about five seconds later.

Over the course of those six months, I’d learned any number of things about Mr. Heughan—the primary ones being what sort of sense of humor he has--and just how fast on his feet he is.

So I said that for two interconnected reasons: 1) I meant it. Those scenes at Wentworth are undoubtedly the most intense and demanding scenes for an actor to do, and an immense challenge for _everyone_ involved, from writer and director to director of photography to camera crew, makeup, and everyone else—but it’s the actor who’s at the pointy end. To see something that difficult and demanding done as it should/could be done…yeah. Totally want to see that. And I’ve seen Sam act. I _knew_ what he could do with material like that. As for 2)…I’ve seen Sam _re_act, and I knew he could do that, too.

Look at what he did when I said that. He didn’t lose his cool, didn’t roll his eyes, or act even slightly discomposed. Took a few seconds to consider, and came back with a perfect reply to a potentially sticky situation. Does this kind of behavior remind you of anyone?

Now, bear in mind that I’d spent the previous six months replying to a never-ending tsunami of dubious fans all whinging about, “He’s too _smalllll,” “Jamie should be _biiiiiiiger_”, “His hair’s not reeeeeed enough,” “He doesn’t look like myyyy Jamie…” etc., etc.

None of these people had seen him act, of course. I had. Were they inclined to take my word for it that Sam Heughan was indeed the man for the part? Of course not. So much more fun to moan and gripe and clutch their heads and enjoy wallowing in negative expectations…

So. He walked onto that stage as Sam Heughan—which is a reasonably good thing to be, mind—but he walked off as Jamie Fraser in a lot more people’s minds.

So we’re coming now to the end of the first season, and _to_ those scenes at Wentworth. Now I’ve seen Mr. Heughan do them, and my expectations—which were pretty high (I mean, I’ve _been_ in Wentworth; I know what went on there)—were exceeded in every particular.

I take nothing away from Caitriona and Tobias—they were astonishingly good, and I say that even after watching them be brilliant episode after episode. And the final episodes are definitely an ensemble piece; it took all three of them, working at the top of their game, to pull that off.

But it’s Jamie who’s at the pointy end, and it’s Sam who did what I thought he could do, and made it real. I’ve honestly never seen anything more courageous than what he and Tobias did there. Yes, it’s strong stuff—so is what I write, and it’s not for everyone. But as the people who ¬_do¬_ read my books realize, that depth of emotional engagement—with its attendant risks—has a substantial payoff.

Now, I noticed in the leadup to Episode 15 an ungodly amount of pre-panicking about “Omg, this is going to be so awful! I don’t think I can bear to watch it!”…wait, didn’t you hear me, I said, “OMG, THIS IS GOING TO BE SOOOOO AWFUL I DON’T THINK I CAN BEAR TO WATCH!! Reallly. JUST AWFUL. <are you listening?> This will be HORRIBLE. It will be so TERRIBLE I’ll just be traumatized, I’ll have to lie on the floor clutching my dog for a week, it’ll be SO GRAPHIC I Just Know I won’t be able to watch it, etc., etc., etc.”

Does this style of discourse sound familiar to anyone? ‘Course it does, as Captain Randall might say. (“He’s too smallll, his hair isn’t reeedddd enough,” “This will be such a disapoooiiiiintment…”)

Then most of the head-clutchers watched it (of course) and oddly enough, I didn’t see any reports of mass psychic trauma in the daily papers. I did see a fair amount of good press coverage, analysis and discussion with a substance you don’t normally find in popular television commentary. I think you’ll see more of it following the finale.

And now, a brief P.S. to the hardcore book fans…

Put. The. Book. Down. Really, I mean it. If you watch this part with the book in your hand, expecting this, that, and the other thing…you _will_ be disappointed, I guarantee it.

Among the anticipatory oh-it-will-be-awful commentary, I’ve seen a fair number of people worrying aloud about, “But HOW are they going to get everything from the book into just one more episode?”

Well, look, guys, be logical. You _know_ the answer to that. They can’t. Ergo, it’s _not_ going to be just like the book. Abandon the notion that it should be, is my advice.

You’ve seen through the season how this works. There’s much, much less room in a sixteen-episode TV season than there is in a 300,000-word book, and a lot more constraints (in terms of story structure, expense, and logistics) on what you can do with that room. They’ve done a fine job in adapting the story to a visual medium, but it –is- an adaptation.

It’s gonna work the same way here; many of the Very Important scenes will be just as they are in the book—some of the scenes that you personally think are Very Important probably _won’t_ be.

(Those of you looking forward to hot springs? Sorry. When I saw Ron at the first screening of the first episode—for international TV buyers in LA—he told me that he’d been working on the final bits (in terms of planning the basic story elements) and that there was unfortunately just no way he could film that particular sequence. He then told me what he planned to do instead.)

Now. Was I disappointed to hear this? Of course; I’d love to see a visual of that. But I could see exactly what he meant. And what I said to him was, “I trust you.”

I still do. That said, I will note that there was a _lot_ of discussion over the hows and whys of what’s included in Episode 16. I didn’t agree with everything they did, and we discussed it. Both sides listened, we both compromised on things—and in the end, I got about 90% of what I wanted. Not everything (and I’m not going to tell you what part(s) those are), but most of it.

So. If you can put the book down (don’t worry; you can go back to it and everything you love will still be there) and watch the ending on its own merits…you’ll be uplifted, emotionally filled and charged with the thrill of having seen a _lot_ of people doing wonderful, difficult, thrilling, heart-rending, amazing Stuff.

I guarantee it. - Diana Gabaldon
Source: Diana Gabaldon

Last edited by CityGal; 05-28-2015 at 11:17 AM
Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's not going to be like the book? So we won't see the rape?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Great information from her. I am so excited for this episode and seeing this scene. This is the best part of that post for me:

Yes, it’s strong stuff—so is what I write, and it’s not for everyone. But as the people who ¬_do¬_ read my books realize, that depth of emotional engagement—with its attendant risks—has a substantial payoff.

She is right ... what she writes is not for everone. What anyone writes is not for everyone. I expect this episode will be very emotional and hard to watch at some points but I know the portrayal of the scenes will be amazing.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Turns out for me the rape scene was incredibly like the book, I saw a clip online, but watching the episode in a moment so not sure what she meant by her previous statement.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I still think it was more challenging reading it. I put the book down and walked away a couple of times then gritted it out to the ending.

I still don't know how she wrote it. I, mean, did those scenes play in her head.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Probably, its why she got so much detail in
Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

OUTLANDER Author Diana Gabaldon on the Finale, its Controversy, and Season 2 | Nerdist
Quote:
Saturday night’s Outlander finale went where television has never gone before. And in the process stirred up quite an interesting conversation about sexual violence. But Ronald D. Moore wasn’t the one who created the story, it was author Diana Gabaldon back in 1991.

On Sunday we had the immense pleasure of chatting up Gabaldon prior to a Q&A and signing at the Barnes & Noble at The Grove in Los Angeles (where several of the show’s iconic costumes were also on display), where we dished about the subversive nature of the story, the public’s reaction to sexual violence, and what she’s looking forward to in season two. Here’s an edited and truncated version of our chat:

The Nerdist: So, the first season is over. What do you think about how they adapted your first book?

Diana Gabaldon: Oh, they did a wonderful job you know, given that it’s a three-hundred thousand- word book and they had sixteen hours to do it, they did a fabulous job, absolutely.

N: And a lot of stuff happens in that finale…

DG: Yes it does. [laughs]

N: And you wrote this source material first, so the subversiveness of this scene came from you. Usually it’s a damsel in distress situation but here, Jamie is the one in this position. So what was it like, seeing that translated to television?

DG: Well I wrote Outlander for practice; I never intended for anyone to read it. Let alone publish it, let alone have it appear on television finally! I can’t say I wasn’t intending being subversive because I always am, but I was just sort of born with a “says who” gene, you know? [laughs] It wasn’t intended to be any particular kind of book — I read everything and lots of it — I just used elements from everything that I like. At one point I had, I think, posted a love scene and they said, “Oh, is it a historical romance maybe?” and I said, “I don’t know, I’ve never read one.” So I went to the grocery store and bought three New York Times bestselling romances figuring these would be a representative sample. I read all three and I said, “No, that’s not what I’m writing, [laughs] but that’s interesting.” I’m sure this was purely by coincidence, mind you, [but] it was the mid-1980’s when styles where different, and the heroine was raped in every single one of these three books. In one of them she was raped by the one who eventually turns out to be the quote-unquote hero. In the others, she was raped by somebody else, but having sex with the hero “fixed her up.” It was like, come on!

N: Oh, god.

DG: Exactly. So having realized that what I wrote was, well, it wasn’t that sort of book — All of these were virgins. Of course: 18 year old virgins with 34 year old men, this was the style then — [so] I said, “Yeah, I don’t think so.” I knew who Claire was — I had been working with her for a while then — and I knew who Jamie was as well, so I said let him be the virgin bride-groom. I take decisions sort of on the, not exactly the whim of the moment, but the revelation of the moment. Just “Oh, it’s this way.” And having done that, I didn’t shirk the ramifications of the developments that come from that. So everything grew out of that.

Something drastic was going to happen: this isn’t the sort of book where the leads foil evil at the last minute and escape harm and sail off into the sunset. The connection with Captain Randall was evolving: It wasn’t Claire he was after; she was sort of incidental. He would take anybody that he thought he could get alone and helpless — but he was fascinated with Jamie for various reasons.

I did in fact, write a little essay — which I’m sure is all over the web by this time — about Jaime and the rule of three and why I did that.

N: Obviously there was a big discussion when the book came out, but now that it’s aired on TV, what is it like having that discussion play out with the new meaning people are couching into it in terms of the why and how this story played out the way it did?

DG: Well everyone is going to have their opinions, and the thing is, the culture has changed considerably since I wrote the first book. It was quite controversial at the time, but in different ways. People tended to get much more excited about the spanking than the rape — and even that went in waves. I would have these little outbreaks of rage and fist waving and it then would all die down and I wouldn’t hear anything for five years and suddenly it’s big again. I’m not quite sure what controls this wave; it’s just something to do with media and the culture and so forth. In part, it’s the search for content. The media is always looking for a story of one kind or another. You won’t have a story unless you have conflict, which means if there’s no conflict in a situation, people look for a way to make some.

N: It’s interesting timing-wise too, what with this and everything that’s going on with Game of Thrones…

DG: Yeah, that was rather coincidental.

N: And that must feel weird to you, ‘cuz for me, it’s kind of a “right versus wrong” way of how to deal with these things.

DG: I’m of the same opinion myself.

N: I’ve been having this rape conversation for weeks and I’m admittedly sort of tired of it, and yet there’s a lot of good that’s coming out of it.

DG: Oh I know, but that’s why you don’t worry when you write something that’s controversial. It’s a big nuisance in media: you have to deal with it over and over and over — which you’ve noticed — but at the same time, very valuable stuff comes out of it along the way. And not just in terms of the public conversation, but in terms of people’s private response. And that I hear a lot of because people write to me all the time and they tell me “this is what I felt as a result of this.” The bottom line for me is I get lots and lots and lots of mail, and I have never, ever — not once! — had somebody write to me saying, “I’ve been raped and this was terrible and it brought it all back and how could you do such a terrible thing?” Never, not once. On the other hand, I’ve had a lot of mail from people saying, “I was raped and reading your book, sometimes the scenes were difficult, but it was cathartic. It was so honest, that meant a lot to me. And further, you indicated that recovery is possible, that there was healing, there was hope.” And that just made me feel so validated and understood. It made me feel good. And now I’m thinking, OK: I guess this is the right way.

N: It’s such a tricky thing and it’s always going to be one of those things where people vacillate between the lines of what’s appropriate and what’s not, but it’s so important to have that discussion, based on a mistake or somebody doing it right. It’s valuable in all regards.

DG: Yeah, well, as a writer of fiction, I don’t think that the notion of appropriateness applies, ‘cuz how would you know?

N: You don’t really.

DG: In terms of popular culture and media and entertainment and so forth, everybody says “Who is the audience for this?” I didn’t really care who the audience was. The audience was me. And since that worked, I’ve always proceeded on that assumption: I don’t care what the audience thinks. Basically, it’s going to be the way I think it should be written. But the other thing is that there is no audience, there is no reader. If you’re going to have more than one person read your book, they’re going to have totally different opinions and responses. No person — no two people — read the same book. It’s always based on their perceptions, their background, their experiences, their expectations of the moment. You know, what side of the bed they got up on that day. I read some books and I thought, “This is better than sliced bread!” and a month later I couldn’t remember thinking about it. And I’ve read others that were kind of a slog and I’ve put them down and come back six months later thinking, “Wow, this is great.” So, you know, things change all the time.

N: So what was it like seeing Sam and Toby act this out?

DG: Oh, it was fabulous. I’m sure you know that months and months before they started filming, I said to Sam [Heughan, who plays Jamie Fraser] on stage — they asked me what filming I wanted to see particularly — “I hope you don’t take this the wrong way, Sam, but I really want to see you raped and tortured.”

N: I do remember that. They have such a good attitude about the subject matter. I’ve spoken to both of them about it and I love the way they both approach the whole thing.

DG: They are total pros.

N: And it’s unlike anything that’s ever been on TV before.

DG: It was so beautiful. I mean, it seems odd with that kind of material, but it totally was. And not just visually, the photography was spectacular, the staging: everything. It was total, unflinching honesty all the way down. On both sides.

N: What are you excited about them representing next season? Because everything is completely different now: I talked to Ron a couple of weeks ago and he was like, “I’m basically creating a completely new series” because it’s so different.

DG: Well that’s the thing about my books, because I don’t like to do stuff I’ve already done, so each one is totally different. Tone, structure, approach, plot, and so forth. All I can reuse are the characters, and they, of course, remain who they are — but they evolve. People say to me, “Well, aren’t you tired of writing these same old people?” Well, if they were the same old people, it would be, but they’re not: I have to reimagine them with each book. Who are you at this point in your life? All this has happened since the last time we were together; how are you feeling about things? How is this? It’s always a new day for me. This is why I don’t get bored and this is why, presumably, the books continue to be popular. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anybody say that they were boring. They may or may not have liked them, but they don’t bore people.

New Fan Pics of Diana Gabaldon at a Book Signing at The Music Hall