Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't know I think for me it depends on how the bisexuality is done. Three characters pop up at the top of my head that are "bisexual" or potentially being bi-sexual, but did a poor way of representing it on screen.

Maybe a 4th but his sexuality was never a bit part of his characterization. In fact I don't think it was made a big deal out of it.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Elite Fan

True it was never made a big deal but it was still part of him.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the best way, to represent his bisexuality, is not making a big deal out of it. Show hints.

I don't know if anyone watches Bitten, but Steve Lund's character Nick may be bisexual, and there is a scene in the shows the potentially of that. But there was other things going on with the show. Heck I even forgot about that scene.

I just think if they go the bisexual route, it needs to be well written. Because I've seen shows that aren't Of course it was mostly the female that was "bisexual", but it was done in a way it was either random, or made it seem like it was a "lesbian" character go straight for man.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Elite Fan

I'd be fine with hints but don't just ignore it.

Those are crap portrayals.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not saying it ignore it, and I will admit if they do make John bi it would be the first one I know about on television, and is canon to source material. The only other male character that probably comes close to be bi is Magnus Bane (the Infernal Devices/the Mortal Instruments). But that is more book/film based.

But I will says this. I don't have problems with gay/bi sexual characters as long as it has always been their intent or they were written that way. In fact I have shipped a few gay/bi pairings in the past. However, I do have a problem when a very loud and vocal part of the fandom demands a character to with so-so. A lot of times its between two males. Even though, they may have been written as close friends, partners/co-workers or w/e.

But I will say this if Constantine is indeed bi in this. Make sure the dialogue matches up with your intent. I think an example of this is with Irene in Sherlock. I think there has been some debate on what her sexuality is. I mean in dialogue she does she is gay. However she may be trying to get under John's skin. More or less it seemed like ship tease for the John/Sherlock fans. However, she also seemed like she had strong feelings for Sherlock. Which may consinder she is bi-sexual. However, she also said she was gay. So if they didn't have that dialogue in there, I think fans may have lead more to bisexual.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

I do have to agree with matching up dialogue and intent.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Graphics Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlgreenie (View Post)
With what I've seen so far...Matt's interpretation is closer to how he was in the comics than Keanu's. Hope it stays that way. I am fine with things getting changed, but there are certain things that belong to the character and I would like to be kept. I just love his cynicism and his swearing ( and I would like them to keep him bisexual. We don't see enough bisexual character on tv. I'd be ok with them cutting out all the smoking he does )
I'm with you on this.
And yeah there's a tad too much smoking
Jac || Join 9-1-1GothamThe Wheel of Time
Old 09-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Elite Fan

I agree. Though I will like all the implied smoking. Kinda like an Easter egg,
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by warangel88 (View Post)
I think the best way, to represent his bisexuality, is not making a big deal out of it. Show hints.
ITA!!!
First of all because I really don't care or want the show to focus too much on his personal life, and second because in the big picture I don't think there is a necessity in just saying he is bisexual in the show... show hints, those who are perceptive and know about the comics will get it, those that don't will just disregard it
Old 09-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Graphics Team

About the bisexuality, I wouldn't mind hints.
But.. I'm more concerned with the acting and with how his character plays out.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Elite Fan

Criminal Minds bloopers with Matt Ryan

Old 09-16-2014, 09:15 PM
Graphics Team

Oh that's nice. Thanks for posting
Old 09-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Elite Fan

No problem.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Elite Fan

I don't mind the smoking being removed but I think it's a shame because Constantine actually suffers the consequences of smoking and gets cancer. That storyline isn't trying to make smoking "cool". Still I can live with the smoking being removed.

But I'm upset about them making his character straight. They said it's because his sexuality doesn't matter so if it doesn't matter I hope he doesn't get female love interests either.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jess, thanks for that video! I've never watched Criminal Minds, and now I find out that Janeane Garofalo is in it.
Dang! She's one of my favorite actresses.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~