Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2014, 09:45 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by find something real (View Post)
I don't really care about endgame, I just want a good journey. And I think olicity has an amazing journey so far, and it seems like S3 is going to be another great part of their journey.
Mm yeah by him not the biggest fan of Olicity since o prefer them as friends but I know. Their fan base is huge. It will be interesting to see them go that direction in season 3/4. I'm curious how they'll handle it.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Loyal Fan

Ray Palmer is going to be introduced for 2 reasons: he has to serve as a mirror for Oliver and his humanity, since Ra's Ghaul will serve as a mirror for Arrow and the second reason is to be a second option for Felicity so when she's going to choose Oliver in the end it will be more powerful. They have no intention to tease us with an Olicity date in the premiere and then not give us them as a couple sooner or later.
It's like the season finale of season 2: Oliver told her that he loved her, but was it a ruse or not? They played a little with the viewers but then in the premiere they are going to deliver letting the audience know that Oliver was sincere. It's the same here, really. There will be a date, they will tease the audience, but they are not going to put them together yet, because it's too soon (and i agree with them here). So there will be Oliver's manpain, Ray Palmer, Felicity who will try to move on with her life..but in the end they are going to give us Olicity.

Also, endgame is such a very far away option that i don't care too. The journey is the most important thing and frankly speaking for now, Oliver and Felicity is the love story the writers are invested in.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessystorm (View Post)
Ray Palmer is going to be introduced for 2 reasons: he has to serve as a mirror for Oliver and his humanity, since Ra's Ghaul will serve as a mirror for Arrow and the second reason is to be a second option for Felicity so when she's going to choose Oliver in the end it will be more powerful. They have no intention to tease us with an Olicity date in the premiere and then not give us them as a couple sooner or later.
It's like the season finale of season 2: Oliver told her that he loved her, but was it a ruse or not? They played a little with the viewers but then in the premiere they are going to deliver letting the audience know that Oliver was sincere. It's the same here, really. There will be a date, they will tease the audience, but they are not going to put them together yet, because it's too soon (and i agree with them here). So there will be Oliver's manpain, Ray Palmer, Felicity who will try to move on with her life..but in the end they are going to give us Olicity.

Also, endgame is such a very far away option that i don't care too. The journey is the most important thing and frankly speaking for now, Oliver and Felicity is the love story the writers are invested in.
So true, and their journey is absolutely beautiful. They are really taking their time with it and building a solid foundation for them. Really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

I am super excited for Monday to come around (if you can believe THAT ) but that is when they begin filming 3x05 — Felicity's episode! We know from tweets that Emily has spent a great deal of time with the writers — even today!

Another lunch date with Beth Schwartz
Quote:
@EmilyBett: Coffee reading dates bschwartzla @chinoischai Instagram
And on into this evening
Quote:
@cadlymack: Tonight is going to be a thing. #abfab bschwartzla @emilybett Instagram
And apparently rappaport casting sent her flowers — wonder if she met with them on something as well while in town:
Quote:
@EmilyBett: You have my heart @drapattack Instagram

Hopefully we find out Monday WHO wrote it, as well as title
Kreisberg responded, “One of the most important lessons that I’ve learned from working with Greg Berlanti, whose obviously had such amazing success in television, is to always have a really great plan, and then always know when to let the plan go.”In response to the unexpected addition of Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards)

Last edited by Iluv2fly; 08-23-2014 at 11:16 PM
Old 08-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Loyal Fan

Dp
Kreisberg responded, “One of the most important lessons that I’ve learned from working with Greg Berlanti, whose obviously had such amazing success in television, is to always have a really great plan, and then always know when to let the plan go.”In response to the unexpected addition of Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban1o (View Post)
Mm yeah by him not the biggest fan of Olicity since o prefer them as friends but I know. Their fan base is huge. It will be interesting to see them go that direction in season 3/4. I'm curious how they'll handle it.
Who prefers who as friends? Because based on the writers of the show they love them as a couple. This is something that has been building since S1. S1. I would like to stress that. Therefore, the writes have made sure to have Oliver express his feelings in various ways. They have had him behave badly. They have had him try to push her away...they have had him try to have relationships with other women, particularly in S2 in order to show Oliver is going full circle and he can't hide his feelings.

To me, Oliver has confirmed that he is NOT in love with Laurel. That was one part of his long journey from Season 1. He may claim he loves her and cares for her, but he is definitely not in love with her and that ended with the episode of Blind Spot. The second Lance sister is still an issue, but she ended it with him and is in relationship for all intents and purposes with Nyssa. Leave it all about Felicity.

This has been confirmed by the writers and reiterated several times by SA for S3. Ray Palmer's role is far more than just a puppet. In our off thread discussions we have figured that Ray Palmer represents a few things for Oliver through Felicity and as a person.

Remember this is a double trifecta. What I mean is Oliver will face three areas of competition from Ray to be dealt with in three different ways.

1. QC. Oliver will lose QC to Ray Palmer. This is parents legacy and he will see how Ray is able to maintain his personal life and professional apart but handle both successfully.

2. Star City née. Starling City. Oliver will be competing with another superhero unbeknownst to him playing in his playpen and at times might be doing a better job than he is.

3. Felicity Smoak. A woman he, as the writers and the actors have said, shares a deep and meaningful love, have her attentions diverted by the needs of her employer who has an interesting agenda.

All of this revolves around Oliver but is wholly bound by Felicity.

Guggenheim clearly stated that Ray is the foil of Oliver. Basically the opposite. I would like to say that Ray is the non-familiar version of Tommy. I further this thought later. Foil means contrast and it can mean to ruin or fumble an plan of action. So when it is said that Ray was put on there to delay Olicity. That is within reason. If the term foil is used by a lawyer, the man knows how to choose his words. But the point is, is he a relevant foil, as a ruining of a plan. No he is not. The reason being that his initial interest in Felicity is far from romantic and with an ulterior motive.

That means for the first maybe 5-10 eps he might show zero romantic inclination towards Felicity. I know that he will be curious about her and have her do things that are questionable for him, but I also see her using that avenue to find out what is his real mission and purpose at QC. His romantic intentions happen much later. Yes, this speculation, but based on the way the writers have described the initial interaction suggests I am not too far off. Also Ray himself will be struggling with establishing and testing things that will directly affect him, romance is like third or fourth on Ray's list.

RP has this purpose and it is nothing to worry about because it is good backdrop to not only develop Oliver and reaffirm his feelings for Felicity but also his push to taking back control of QC and maintaining his spot as the real hero of Starling/Star City, such as Batman is for Gotham, Flash is for Central City, and Superman is for Smallville/Metropolis.

Now to follow up on the Tommy comparison and foiling or contrasting two characters. In actuality both Oliver on the surface have a lot of similarities. It's underneath the foil begins. While Oliver is rather jaded and dour, Ray Palmer is a scientist, intellectual who is seemingly more happy. What Oliver has experienced in life Ray seemingly never has. Oliver is a man who has been tortured, he has watched his mother killed before his eyes, he has lost his sister, he watched his father kill himself. People he has loved and cared for have either died a the hand of the enemy, or because of him. Oliver is NOT Ray Palmer...because Ray, most likely has never been through any of that.

His feelings then and the way he expresses them are going to be wholly different from Ray. Felicity will be competing with Oliver's PTSD and his fears and sadness, while Ray may give it to her on a silver platter no questions asked. This is the journey that find something real is mentioning as interesting and relevant.

Are they end game? I don't see why this is a question. Why should that even be discussed as this season is about Oliver's struggle to manage his personal and professional life and figuring out his place in this world and finding a function? Felicity's struggles and creating her own identity is intimately tied to Oliver because Felicity's growth and struggles will be effecting his own growth. One thing I am looking forward too this season is to see the key characters influencing Oliver Queen.

This is, it seems, primarily Ray Palmer (as an outsider), Felicity Smoak, Diggle, Roy, Thea, Malcolm, and Sara. Laurel's storyline does not in any way affect Oliver. Which makes no sense since your purpose in a storyline should affect the lead character. Instead, and using the words of Guggeneheim at the IGN interview Laurel's role is actually revolving around Sara. Not the other way around. Which makes her a third wheel of sorts and a filler component.

In any event. Felicity and Ray seem to have the greatest impact next to Thea and Diggle in influencing Oliver's identity and his growth. This will be great to him becoming the Green Arrow. The same way that Slade made him a hero, because as Felicity suggested on numerous occasions, you need to find another way. And it is through her help, guidance, and support that Oliver does find another way to not only defeat Slade...but maintain his life in the process. No other character was able to bring Oliver back from he brink as Felicity was able to do and this will be continued in S3.

So as a final note, do I think they are end game? With all this writing for Olicity this season and major focused development on Felicity and Oliver, individually and as a shared storyline...Hell yes, they are end game and the journey to that end is what we are all looking forward too.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:04 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaberella (View Post)
RP has this purpose and it is nothing to worry about because it is good backdrop to not only develop Oliver and reaffirm his feelings for Felicity but also his push to taking back control of QC and maintaining his spot as the real hero of Starling/Star City, such as Batman is for Gotham, Flash is for Central City, and Superman is for Smallville/Metropolis.
I agree with everything you said vaberella, and i want to expand about this because, the major problem for Oliver, IMHO, is that he has always been a passive player in his life. Even before the island his life was already programmed by others: he was Laurel's boyfriend (and she was programming their life together even if he wasn't particulary keen to the idea) and he was Robert Queen's son so of course one day he would have taken the family business.
And on the island, well, everything that happened to him wasn't because he wanted it but because others tortured him, manipulated him and so on. When he returned, the thing wasn't better: he began to be the vigilante because of a promise he made to his father not because he wanted it. He became the CEO of Queen Consolidated not because he particulary likes to be one, but because it was his family business. He did everything not because it was his true calling but because it was his responsability.
In season 3, based on what the writers have said, there is something that finally Oliver really wants, and it's Felicity, a relationship with her. But his responsabilities will come in the middle of it, and he will have to take a step back.
I think his journey this season, among other things, will be to learn that it is time to have a more active role in his life. He really wants to have the Queen Consolidated back, not because it's his responsability, but because he wants it back? He has to fight for it. He really wants to be the only hero of the city, not because he has made a promise to his father, or to Tommy, but because being the Arrow is his true calling? He has to fight for it. He wants to have a stable relationship with Felicity? He has to fight for it. He has to stop having a passive role in his life and really, really fight for what he wants. It's possible to be both the Arrow and Oliver Queen, it's possible to be both the hero the city needs and have a private life. Is it easy? No, he has to work on it, but if you really want something, you have to fight for what you want. And in doing so, Oliver Queen will discover who he really is and who is meant to be.

Last edited by jessystorm; 08-24-2014 at 03:28 AM
Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 AM
Loyal Fan

I want to applaud both Vaberella and Jessystorm for their insightful metas. This is going to be a big season for Oliver, Felicity, Digg, Roy and Thea. The question of Identity is resonant with all of them and to me, it will come down to personal exploration and choice. I see variations of one or more of these questions being asked by all key characters:

Who am I?
Who do I choose to be?
What is important to me?
Is someone else's happiness/wellbeing more important to me than my own?
What am I willing to do/sacrifice to be the person I want to be?

For me, the progression of these arcs have the potential to be challenging and deeply satisfying. I look forward to this journey.

As for the show's OTP, the EPs have, as they stated at they would in interviews at the end of s1, repositioned themselves and the show (by ending the O/L/T triangle) to reflect their commitment to the careful and respectful slow burn development of Olicity. This commitment was reinforced by their comments at SDCC and their clear declaration that whilst an Olicity date will happen, Olicity will not be together as a couple this season. This is indicative of a long term plan.

If comic canon is important to you (and I used to be a collector), DC and the WB have further demonstrated their commitment to the character of Felicity by her inclusion in the Green Arrow comic from issue #35. Felicity and John Diggle will be canon across major DCU media and I for one have subscribed from issue #35 to show my support and because I'm interested.

Sit back and enjoy the ride, I plan to!

Last edited by Hipkarrma; 08-24-2014 at 03:59 AM
Old 08-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaberella (View Post)
Who prefers who as friends? Because based on the writers of the show they love them as a couple. This is something that has been building since S1. S1. I would like to stress that. Therefore, the writes have made sure to have Oliver express his feelings in various ways. They have had him behave badly. They have had him try to push her away...they have had him try to have relationships with other women, particularly in S2 in order to show Oliver is going full circle and he can't hide his feelings.

To me, Oliver has confirmed that he is NOT in love with Laurel. That was one part of his long journey from Season 1. He may claim he loves her and cares for her, but he is definitely not in love with her and that ended with the episode of Blind Spot. The second Lance sister is still an issue, but she ended it with him and is in relationship for all intents and purposes with Nyssa. Leave it all about Felicity.

This has been confirmed by the writers and reiterated several times by SA for S3. Ray Palmer's role is far more than just a puppet. In our off thread discussions we have figured that Ray Palmer represents a few things for Oliver through Felicity and as a person.

Remember this is a double trifecta. What I mean is Oliver will face three areas of competition from Ray to be dealt with in three different ways.

1. QC. Oliver will lose QC to Ray Palmer. This is parents legacy and he will see how Ray is able to maintain his personal life and professional apart but handle both successfully.

2. Star City née. Starling City. Oliver will be competing with another superhero unbeknownst to him playing in his playpen and at times might be doing a better job than he is.

3. Felicity Smoak. A woman he, as the writers and the actors have said, shares a deep and meaningful love, have her attentions diverted by the needs of her employer who has an interesting agenda.

All of this revolves around Oliver but is wholly bound by Felicity.

Guggenheim clearly stated that Ray is the foil of Oliver. Basically the opposite. I would like to say that Ray is the non-familiar version of Tommy. I further this thought later. Foil means contrast and it can mean to ruin or fumble an plan of action. So when it is said that Ray was put on there to delay Olicity. That is within reason. If the term foil is used by a lawyer, the man knows how to choose his words. But the point is, is he a relevant foil, as a ruining of a plan. No he is not. The reason being that his initial interest in Felicity is far from romantic and with an ulterior motive.

That means for the first maybe 5-10 eps he might show zero romantic inclination towards Felicity. I know that he will be curious about her and have her do things that are questionable for him, but I also see her using that avenue to find out what is his real mission and purpose at QC. His romantic intentions happen much later. Yes, this speculation, but based on the way the writers have described the initial interaction suggests I am not too far off. Also Ray himself will be struggling with establishing and testing things that will directly affect him, romance is like third or fourth on Ray's list.

Now to follow up on the Tommy comparison and foiling or contrasting two characters. In actuality both Oliver on the surface have a lot of similarities. It's underneath the foil begins. While Oliver is rather jaded and dour, Ray Palmer is a scientist, intellectual who is seemingly more happy. What Oliver has experienced in life Ray seemingly never has. Oliver is a man who has been tortured, he has watched his mother killed before his eyes, he has lost his sister, he watched his father kill himself. People he has loved and cared for have either died a the hand of the enemy, or because of him. Oliver is NOT Ray Palmer...because Ray, most likely has never been through any of that.

His feelings then and the way he expresses them are going to be wholly different from Ray. Felicity will be competing with Oliver's PTSD and his fears and sadness, while Ray may give it to her on a silver platter no questions asked. This is the journey that find something real is mentioning as interesting and relevant.

Are they end game? I don't see why this is a question. Why should that even be discussed as this season is about Oliver's struggle to manage his personal and professional life and figuring out his place in this world and finding a function? Felicity's struggles and creating her own identity is intimately tied to Oliver because Felicity's growth and struggles will be effecting his own growth. One thing I am looking forward too this season is to see the key characters influencing Oliver Queen.

This is, it seems, primarily Ray Palmer (as an outsider), Felicity Smoak, Diggle, Roy, Thea, Malcolm, and Sara. Laurel's storyline does not in any way affect Oliver. Which makes no sense since your purpose in a storyline should affect the lead character. Instead, and using the words of Guggeneheim at the IGN interview Laurel's role is actually revolving around Sara. Not the other way around. Which makes her a third wheel of sorts and a filler component.

In any event. Felicity and Ray seem to have the greatest impact next to Thea and Diggle in influencing Oliver's identity and his growth. This will be great to him becoming the Green Arrow. The same way that Slade made him a hero, because as Felicity suggested on numerous occasions, you need to find another way. And it is through her help, guidance, and support that Oliver does find another way to not only defeat Slade...but maintain his life in the process. No other character was able to bring Oliver back from he brink as Felicity was able to do and this will be continued in S3.

So as a final note, do I think they are end game? With all this writing for Olicity this season and major focused development on Felicity and Oliver, individually and as a shared storyline...Hell yes, they are end game and the journey to that end is what we are all looking forward too.
Holy crap this was a long post lol. Sorry I was exhausted last night and that was a typo. I meant Iprefer Ollie and felicity ad friends. I don't think all important relationships have to be romantic and friendship can be just as significant. Just to emphasize I don't want him with laurel or Sara either. To be honest, I'm not Really A fan of how Ollie has had some sort of romantic relationship with almost every female on this show and I would like felicity to be developed more outside of Oliver (which it looks likely are doing this season). But anyway I don't mind a relationship that much and I know their fanbase is huge.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Not anything new, but the media is just as interested as the rest of us ...
Arrow Season 3: Emily Bett Rickards teases Felicity ep
Old 08-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv2fly (View Post)
Not anything new, but the media is just as interested as the rest of us ...
Arrow Season 3: Emily Bett Rickards teases Felicity ep
The reason I'm so interested in the felicity episode is because I feel so far, compared to other female and male characters, felicity has had the least backstory so far on the show. I don't know if it's because the writers just didn't know or they were waiting until season 3, but we really don't know that much about felicity. I think that's why the media is so interested in this episode as we'll. i know felicity. As initially meant to be a minor character so maybe the writers were just figuring out how to make her story fit in with the rest of the plot.

Last edited by ban1o; 08-24-2014 at 06:46 AM
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban1o (View Post)
He said he asked about Cheshire showing up since she is Roy's main romantic interest in the comics. I don't think they confirmed it though. Considering the writers don't seem to be in any rush to put laurel and Oliver together anymore, I don't think all the romantic pairing will be comic book cannon lol.

On that note. I know the writers are planning on Olicity this season, but do people think they will be endgame or not? Ray Palmer is another felicity love interest, right? Brandon Routh said he's signed for 16 episodes. That's a lot of episodes to develop a relationship. I wonder if the writers will still and pair up Ollie and laurel in later seasons.
- I doubt Ray is going to stay after this season. He's rich, hot, accomplished and soon to be a superhero, if additionally he was popular, Oliver would end like Dawson with nothing to do except to justify the title - And there would be no point to think about keeping him after this season if he's not popular. There's no room for a character doing the same thing and more liked than the resident hero.

- Olicity won't be together anytime soon. The season is likely to end exactly how it started : with a bang, someone is bound to spend the summer in a coma, taken by the LoA, in jail or in whatever situation carrying into next season and pushing romantic issues at the bottom of their priorities

- I won't consider Laurel/Oliver dead until they're declared dead in the show.

- 50/50 on the endgame for me, either Oliver single or Olicity
Old 08-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxalys (View Post)
- I doubt Ray is going to stay after this season. He's rich, hot, accomplished and soon to be a superhero, if additionally he was popular, Oliver would end like Dawson with nothing to do except to justify the title - And there would be no point to think about keeping him after this season if he's not popular. There's no room for a character doing the same thing and more liked than the resident hero.

- Olicity won't be together anytime soon. The season is likely to end exactly how it started : with a bang, someone is bound to spend the summer in a coma, taken by the LoA, in jail or in whatever situation carrying into next season and pushing romantic issues at the bottom of their priorities

- I won't consider Laurel/Oliver dead until they're declared dead in the show.

- 50/50 on the endgame for me, either Oliver single or Olicity
Yeah I don't think Ray will stay in season 4 either, but the EP's seem to really like Brandon Routh. It would kind of make Ollie a little irrelevant lol, especially if the character becomes really popular.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Elite Fan

ahhhhhhh it starts TOMORROW!!! They still have to do the table read, does anyone recall if they film the same day they do table reads? Other wise tomorrow might just be the table read, and the actual filming starts on Tuesday.

I'm putting my trust in Charlotte Ross to tweet pics and updates lol! She's so active on twitter, I have high hopes!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:05 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, SA has cons the next few weekends so if nothing else, we may get something then.

Ideals are peaceful; history is Violent -WarDaddy(FURY)
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

oh yea i'm sure we will, we always get good olicity/felicity stuff from the captain lol.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread