Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Cannot wait to hear more about it!

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
holding my heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

It got tons of great reviews !

Sundance Review: 'Brooklyn' starring Saoirse Ronan and Emory Cohen - Washington DC Film | Examiner.com

Quote:
There's a simple, intoxicating beauty to John Crowley's immigrant drama, Brooklyn. Compared to other Sundance films, it may seem a bit old-fashioned and safe, but there's value in a familiar story told incredibly well. Thankfully, there's no attempt to "dirty up" the plight of those who ventured to America looking for a better life; this isn't The Immigrant, thank goodness.

Given screenwriter Nick Hornby's past explorations of the male psyche (High Fidelity, About a Boy, Fever Pitch), it's pretty amazing how good he's become writing female characters in An Education and Wild. Brooklyn works almost as a sister title to those films, looking at a shy girl's ascent to womanhood, and the difficult choices she must make while a stranger in a strange land. Already one of today's best actresses, Saoirse Ronan outdoes herself as Ellis Lacey, a young Irish girl looking to escape the meager opportunities her town has to offer in the 1950s. With the help of her older sister, who must stay behind to take care of their mother, Ellis is given a chance at a better life in America. Leaving behind her family and all that she's ever known is tough, and very nearly too much to bear. The journey to America, aboard a sprawling and very rocky ship, also proves an ugly learning experience. When she arrives in Brookly, NY with hundreds of others, the already-shy Ellis is overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people, their attitudes, and the cultural differences.

Being prim and proper may have worked back home but in Brooklyn it gets Ellis nothing but homesick. She gets some help from the family priest (Jim Broadbent) who sets her up in a boarding house run by the stern and lovable Mrs. Kehoe (Julie Walters), who doesn't tolerate any guff from any of the other girls (Emily Bett Rickards of CW's Arrow, Nora Jane-Noone, and Eve Macklin) but has a soft spot for Ellis. But the pull of home is unshakeable and soon Ellis drifts into an overwhelming sadness that nearly costs her fancy job at a high-end store. But just when she least expects it, a night on the town ends with her meeting Tony (Emory Cohen), an Italian boy who slowly breaks Ellis out her shell. That they come from two completely different worlds only seems to draw them closer, and soon Ellis is seeing the full potential of what a life in America can be. But just as she's starting to find her place, circumstances force her back to Ireland and the easing comforts of home.
Sundance Ignites 2016 Oscars with ‘Brooklyn,’ Lily Tomlin and More | Variety

Quote:
“Brooklyn,” a drama about an Irish immigrant’s journey to America, premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on Monday night without much advance buzz. But when the lights at the Eccles Theatre in Park City came up two hours later to a rapturous standing ovation, it was clear that Sundance had just screened one of the best films of the year. Within 24 hours, Fox Searchlight defeated its rivals (including the Weinstein Co. and Focus Features) in a heated bidding war and landed “Brooklyn” for $9 million. That deal, the biggest at this year’s festival, also kicked off the Oscars 2016 race.
oxalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for posting the reviews, Natacha!

It's surprising to read that the film could be a strong candidate for next year's Oscars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluv2fly (View Post)
Quote:
@ktanaya: As expected, I loved #Brooklyn. @saoirse_ronan is just knocking it out of the park these days. Plus a wild @EmilyBett appeared!
Hee.
unbreakable clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

Oscar are very far away tho, but at least they got a good deal !
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oscars? Just let it come!

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
Old 02-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxalys (View Post)
Oscar are very far away tho, but at least they got a good deal !

It'd be awesome to see her walking down all the red carpets in the awards season even though she's only supporting the movie.
unbreakable clarity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

Old 07-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

I watched the trailer and suprisingly liked it!
It looks a bit like PRide & Prejudice, or Atonement in the style!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

It's not really my kind of movie, but I'll be happy to watch it anyway
Old 07-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

It might not be bad, sad Emily is only a few minutes in

Old 07-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

I don't think it's gonna be bad, just not the kind of thing I watch usually
Old 07-13-2015, 04:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hope it does great though

Old 07-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Emily Bett Rickards

yep And that it does great enough to be released in my country
Old 07-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

Looking forward to seeing it. I'm interested in seeing Emily play someone that's not Felicity.

Magnus and Alec
Chasity05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

same, because sadly we only saw her in that role for now

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top