Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by morelikeapigwithhair (View Post)
She'd punch anyone who'd call her that
They better watch out if she carry the heat..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 08-07-2014, 02:09 AM
Elite Fan

Stephanie Beatriz on Why Diverse Casts Are Needed on TV | Latina Roles on TV & Movies
Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really love Stephanie's blog for Latina. So true what she's saying - social diversity is needed in television, and B99 is really doing well on that front. I'm also glad she got the role, because I can't imagine anyone besides Steph playing that role.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Elite Fan

I can't imagine anyone else playing Rosa either. And I do love that it's not the "typical" Latina role
Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for the great article! I love reading her blog there.

Yeah, I really appreciate the fact that B99 cast the best persons for the role, regardless of their ethnicity I can't imagine anyone else being Rosa either

icon by http2D
Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I don't think any of the characters really fall under social stereotypes. I mean, look at Holt! I actually saw a thread on the IMDb message boards (remind me to never visit there again, tbh) that said they should make Holt straight because the OP of that thread believed in stereotypes and Holt didn't play into that. And while it's awful that these stereotypes do exist and people are actually ignorant enough to believe that, in this example, all gays are effeminate, I love B99 for thinking outside those boxes.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Fan

Ugh I hate close-minded people

Bravo for B99 That's why more people should watch this show. Maybe then, those ignorant people will stop believing in those silly sterotyoes.

icon by http2D
Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Master Fan

Stephs blog is perfect!

Mostly Brooklyn99 stuff

tumblr | ao3 | youtube | visit b99
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty springs (View Post)
Yeah, I don't think any of the characters really fall under social stereotypes. I mean, look at Holt! I actually saw a thread on the IMDb message boards (remind me to never visit there again, tbh) that said they should make Holt straight because the OP of that thread believed in stereotypes and Holt didn't play into that. And while it's awful that these stereotypes do exist and people are actually ignorant enough to believe that, in this example, all gays are effeminate, I love B99 for thinking outside those boxes.
Def agree w/ this..

is that what you want?

Old 08-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Elite Fan

I hate stereotypes, and I never understood why people care about who sleeps with whom. I don't give a crap about stuff like that. There are so many examples of stereotypical gays and lesbians in TV. We often hear: "As a gay I can...", "I'm gay so...." TV shows creators have good intentions but they just make it worse. Gays are not better than a straight person, they are not worse than them, it shouldn't be the first thing we know about the person. That's why I love Captain's Holt character. His sexuality isn't the thing that defines him. It should be private.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Exactly! His sexuality doesn't play a big part in his personality or the way he does his job, and no one in the precinct judges him either or treats him with less respect because of his sexuality. It's refreshing to see so many characters that don't fit the stereotypes (Holt is not the token gay, Rosa and Amy are not token Latinas) and that makes this whole show even better.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki_cza (View Post)
I hate stereotypes, and I never understood why people care about who sleeps with whom. I don't give a crap about stuff like that. There are so many examples of stereotypical gays and lesbians in TV. We often hear: "As a gay I can...", "I'm gay so...." TV shows creators have good intentions but they just make it worse. Gays are not better than a straight person, they are not worse than them, it shouldn't be the first thing we know about the person. That's why I love Captain's Holt character. His sexuality isn't the thing that defines him. It should be private.
Def agree w/ this.. Perfect.. Plus it's not about it, but it should be more than about it..

is that what you want?

Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miki_cza (View Post)

icon by http2D
Old 08-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the link. And bless that article.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Master Fan

Mostly Brooklyn99 stuff

tumblr | ao3 | youtube | visit b99
Closed Thread   Post New Thread