Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
WestAllen stuff from this interview:

As much as I love Joe, I really hope Iris is more angry with her father than Barry, since it was Joe that insisted he keep it a secret, and Barry went along with it out of respect.
Agree.

Icon by Me
Old 03-12-2015, 06:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Thanks for posting the interview. I hope Iris is pissed at both, but more so at Joe for starting the secrecy.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

this is sweet:

Quote:
Any romantic love for Barry is buried so deep in her subconscious, and I believe it manifests itself in her infatuation with The Flash, which is Barry himself.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Elite Fan

I liked that part!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Addicted Fan

Candice confirming that for us tho...

Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Awesome to hear that ...or read it
Old 03-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
WestAllen stuff from this interview:

As much as I love Joe, I really hope Iris is more angry with her father than Barry, since it was Joe that insisted he keep it a secret, and Barry went along with it out of respect.
Nah. I'm definitely hoping for the opposite. lol Joe can insist Barry not tell Iris all he wants but at the end of the day, Barry's a grown man, it's his secret and he choosing to keep it from Iris.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
Nah. I'm definitely hoping for the opposite. lol Joe can insist Barry not tell Iris all he wants but at the end of the day, Barry's a grown man, it's his secret and he choosing to keep it from Iris.
Thinking about it more, I agree with you. I want her more mad at Barry.

Joe is her father, so it's natural that he'll always feel the need to be protective. But Barry has no parental obligations over her, so his choices are condescending and disrespectful.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:45 AM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for posting the interview! Loved it.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Barry has too much respect for Joe to go against him in that way. For now
Old 03-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Mainly this.

Although I'm not particularly upset that both Joe and Barry haven't told Iris. I mean, it's meh that she isn't on Team Flash yet but I think it fits that both want to protect her.

Joe is all about protecting his family at all costs. With Barry, he knows he has no choice in whether Barry can be Flash or not, so he as stays involved as possible to protect him. With Iris, he knows that he and Barry both want to protect her. And she was already targeted just for writing that blog, so they aren't wrong in thinking it's best to not tell her.

Honestly, my ideal situation is that Iris shows everyone how smart she is and figures it out on her own.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
this is sweet:

Quote:
Any romantic love for Barry is buried so deep in her subconscious, and I believe it manifests itself in her infatuation with The Flash, which is Barry himself.
I agree with her comment 100%. I've always thought that The Flash is basically everything Iris loves about Barry, but without the "I'm afraid of losing people so I'm just going to keep everything to myself and carry all these burdens on my shoulders" mentality.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Agreed, They both will get her anger, but it is understandable why Barry gets it more. Joe is being a parent, they always frustrate us. It isn't like Barry is some teen. He is a grown man and it is his secret, he chooses who to tell.

How many times a parent tells you not to do something, and you might do it anyways, same thing. Plus i is worse that Barry as the Flash keeps going to Iris, which puts her in danger anyways.

That being said, I don't mind that she doesn't know as yet.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear" - Nelson Mandela
Old 03-13-2015, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

X
Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Waves (View Post)
And she was already targeted just for writing that blog, so they aren't wrong in thinking it's best to not tell her.
My only problem with this is that she's still investigating anyway and made it clear she would continue to do so - with her blog and, now, as a journalist. So I don't think that they're right in thinking it's best not to tell her. She was targeted because she was writing about these things in a blog, without any particular knowledge about the Flash. She's continuing to do so, so that threat is still there. Thinking they should keep the secret to keep her "safe" is absurd.

Particularly when you add in that the Reverse Flash has now made an overt threat towards her.

[sp]And it looks like that's going to come to a head, too.[/quote]

Could she protect herself adequately against the RF if he decided to come for her? With his powers, probably she couldn't ever protect herself 100%. But she sure as heck isn't going to be able to watch out for herself if nobody even tells her about the threat.

And that's why I think both Joe and Barry are perhaps understandable in wanting to keep her safe - but they've had their heads up their asses about this issue for a while now. I do think they're wrong about it.

If she knows Flash's secret, she'll probably still continue to dig into things and report things...but she'll be going in with more knowledge about the situation. And that cannot do anything but help her be smart about how she goes about it - to protect both herself and (I suspect maybe even more, to her thinking) to protect Barry/Flash.

From a narrative standpoint, there may be a story they're telling. And maybe her not knowing is going to come to a head and have a payoff. But it does need to have a payoff, because while I'm okay with her being in the dark if it's leading to something, if it turns out it's more to serve the trope than the story...well...that's not going to be very satisfying.

Spoiler:

I personally am kinda hoping that her not knowing puts her in more danger and they have to face that - as well as giving her the screen time for her to express her well-deserved human response to finally finding out the truth. I don't want anything to happen to Iris, but it drives me NUTS when these superhero tropes have someone kept in the dark "for their own good" even when it really doesn't makes sense for them to do so, and even when they are put in more danger because of it, everyone still acts like it was on some level right - or at least safer - for them to keep their loved ones in the dark.

Since RF has already threatened her, I actually think it would be interesting if that actually were to come to a head and then Iris could be like, "Hey, guys! Did it ever occur to you idiots that I might NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THAT? How, exactly, was me not knowing a murderous lunatic threatened me supposed to make me SAFER?" And just call them on it.

Not saying heroes keeping those secrets from loved ones never makes sense. But when you have a story like they've set up with Iris (or Lois Lane in Superman canon, for that matter), where the person is going to keep digging into these things, with or without the truth, it doesn't make them an iota safer. It just prevents them from going in with all the info, so they could theoretically even make SAFER choices about how to go about it.

Just my two cents. I hope she figures it out on her own, too, but...we'll see!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top