Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Trial Of The Flash [4.10] - Episode Discussion [January 16th, 2017]

[4.10] THE TRIAL OF THE FLASH
ϟ EPISODE DISCUSSION ϟ

ϟ BARRY FIGHTS FOR HIS LIFE ϟ
As Barry’s (Grant Gustin) trial for the murder of Clifford DeVoe begins, Iris (Candice Patton) and Joe (Jesse L. Martin) must decide how far they are willing to go to keep Barry out of prison.
Philip Chipera directed the episode written by Lauren Certo & Kristen Kim (#410).
ϟ PROMO ϟ

ϟ REMINDERS ϟ
- Be respectful. Not everyone is going to agree with you at all times. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with someone as long as it is done respectfully.

- No character/actor bashing. You can express your opinions on a certain character or performance, but please keep in mind that these are real people who are trying to do the best with what they are given, so please keep things civil.

- Links to illegal links to downloads or live streams are not allowed here. You can discuss and share these links only through PM's.

- With the exception of promos and episode stills, everything else is considered a spoiler before the episode airs.

- HAVE FUN watching and discussing the episode!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks for the new one! I can't wait for the episode! I am clock-watching.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:39 PM
Total Fan

- Can’t Iris and Barry just be happy for a bit?

- I don’t like the prosecutor… but I guess we’re not supposed to.

- Aww, Singh was trying to have Barry’s back the best he could under oath.

- Why does the meta look like he’s glowing with kryptonite?

- Give me Iris vs Marlize in a no-holds-barred/no-disqualification match!

- Iris (surrounded by Barry’s speedforce): How are you doing this?
Barry: I don’t know
Me: *cough*lightning rod*cough*

I'm thinking he can only do that with Iris

- Barry (rushing out of the courthouse): I have to go! Someone needs me

Soooo.... is Wally too busy to be around his family when they're in crisis/need a speedster? Or did the writers just forget about him?

- Wow, Judge. Harsh enough sentence there? Isn’t “Life with no chance of parole” usually saved for people who are a constant danger to society?

And how does a Judge in Central City think BARRY is the most depraved criminal he’s ever seen? He lives in a city full of evil metas!

- They put Barry in the same cell his dad was in? That just… made me kind of emotional for a second there.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 AM
Master Fan

Nitpick stuff first:

Cecile had no defense. Probably because she’s a prosecutor and would never be allowed to be a defense attorney but CW.

They wrapped the trial up so fast. A two day trial? He was allowed out on bail for an attempted murder? He was allowed to go during the court proceedings? Wally couldn’t have handled that? Barry and Iris need to carry listening devices when they have convos with Marlize and DeVoe!

Why does Killer Frost always get knocked on her ass? Puppies were what made Killer Frost come out - they don’t take her arc seriously?

I loved that Speedforce shield around Barry and Iris. I didn’t see that coming it! It was beautifully shot. Lightning Rod. We are The Flash.

Putting Barry in the same cell as his father. Damn, could it get any worse for him?
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Supreme Fan

Cecile's defense was so weak

Ralph was the voice of reason but he didn't bug and neither did the OTF trio. I wouldn't call that a team-up

That scene with Cisco, Harry and Caitlin/Frost was quite cute even if silly

Marlize is one hell of a actress Great confrontation with Iris.

I will love Barry and Iris forever

I liked how they split the screen time between the lab and the courtroom.

Strong episode overall.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 AM
Master Fan

Kinda bugs me that they have gone the comedic route with Killer Frost but I guess not everything can be heavy.

I feel like they didn’t work hard enough to get Barry off.

Barry and Iris were everything. I wasn’t expecting that moment. The 360 turning. That’s legendary OTP stuff. I didn’t want the attempt to tell judge. I wanted them to have actual evidence but it was that moment that led to the epic moment. So I’m happy overall.
Philanthropist.

You can take away my house, all my tricks and toys, but one thing you can't take away – I am IRON MAN.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

The very best part of the episode was Iris surrounded by Barry’s Speedforce ...

It was such a Spiritual moment, I couldn't believe how beautifully constructed it was... everything about it screamed Spiritual/Love/Fate/Unbreakable Connection/Forever.

We are The Flash, We are connected as One.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Supreme Fan

I agree about Killer Frost. It was one of those comedic quirky moments but if you look at it objectively it made Caitlin look shallow.

I guess I missed the show because apart from Cecile's defense I didn't find anything wrong with the episode but then I read other people's thoughts and I started seeing the flaws in the entire trial storyline.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Killer Frost is just filled with contradictions.

The trial was a joke...they clearly just wanted Barry to go to prison
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM
Total Fan

Anyone else think sending all that radioactive energy to Earth-15 is going to come back to haunt them? Not the radiation itself, but... what if Earth-15 wasn't as dead as Harry thought?
Old 01-18-2018, 08:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

OK, here we go...

First question: How did DeVoe's DNA get under Barry's fingernails? I know he touched the knife, but...?

Second question: Is Marlize getting second thoughts? I'd know I'D be hesitant to kiss on somebody who really isn't my husband (has his words, but not his body OR voice).

Third: what's the prosecutor's problem? I know it's his job, but it seems like he has a personal vendetta against Barry.

Fourth: where did this Fallout guy come from? Of course he's just another of DeVoe's minions, though unwittingly. (Must've gotten his powers pretty recently.)

Not a question, but Marlize's acting was downright pitiful! One minute she's sobbing over her husband, the next she's talking about being w/another man b/c her husband "okayed" it before his "death". What kind of sick, twisted...? And the jury bought that bull??

Fifth: Ralph suddenly has a conscience? Didn't see that coming... I know it got Joe to thinking, but come on.

Sixth: I like Cecile as a character, but her defense skills are nonexistant. Whatever happened to calling character witnesses, or even addressing the fact that Barry's alarm went off in HIS apartment. Why would he trip his own alarm to kill someone? And what was DeVoe doing in Barry's apartment knowing that he put a restraining order against the person he visited? Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose? And no, I'm NOT buying Marlize's alibi about that.

Seventh: That judge went way off the rails in his assessment of Barry at the sentencing. WTH? That trial & sentencing was way too swift & abrupt. Shouldn't they have tried to appeal?

Eighth: WHY are they giving Westallen so much grief? They're not even letting them breathe, at this point. WA's scene in the courtroom was very touching, & beautifully shot. To add insult to injury, at the end, Barry's occupying the same cell as his dad. When all is said & done, I can't WAIT for WA to kick Marvoe's butt (literally & figuratively)!

Not a question, but if Singh DOESN'T know that Barry is the Flash, then that's got to be the dumbest thing since Lois Lane not realizing that Clark Kent was Superman back in the day.

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think these writers really know what DeVoe's "enlightenment" is supposed to be about. They're dragging it out unnecessarily, IMHO. Like in The Fate of the Furious, the audience is wondering why Dom turned against his team. Halfway through the movie, that mystery is revealed, & then you're left wondering how he's gonna make it up to his "family". There should be a clear-cut reason at this point about DeVoe's motive, & why Barry in jail is going to further it. I feel at this point that whatever the reason is, it's going to be anticlimactic.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM
New Fan

I love shows about lawyers, etc. so I was really disapointed by this episode in this respect. Also, even if I hope that the Devoe are ultimately aiming for a greater good why are they such smug *******s to Barry and the others ? Couldn't they at least say something (and mean it) like "Sorry that you have to go through this but it's for the good of everyone" ? I think Devoe wants Barry in the same prison than the bus!metas Team Flash has caught.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Anyone else think sending all that radioactive energy to Earth-15 is going to come back to haunt them? Not the radiation itself, but... what if Earth-15 wasn't as dead as Harry thought?
I hadn't thought about that...could be. Cisco in particular doesn't always see the bigger picture.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:04 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn71 (View Post)
OK, here we go...

First question: How did DeVoe's DNA get under Barry's fingernails? I know he touched the knife, but...?
Remember when Barry was hanging off DeVoe's flying chair in the previous episode (before he fell into the lake)? He had one glove off, and DeVoe grabbed his hand and dug his nails in.

Quote:
Second question: Is Marlize getting second thoughts? I'd know I'D be hesitant to kiss on somebody who really isn't my husband (has his words, but not his body OR voice).
She might be hesitant at first, but personality and memories are all her husband, so that may not matter once she gets used to it.

Quote:
Third: what's the prosecutor's problem? I know it's his job, but it seems like he has a personal vendetta against Barry.
I'm wondering more about the Judge acting as if Barry is some kind of serial killer in his sentencing speech.

Quote:
Fourth: where did this Fallout guy come from? Of course he's just another of DeVoe's minions, though unwittingly. (Must've gotten his powers pretty recently.)
Probably on the meta-bus like the others were.

Quote:
Sixth: I like Cecile as a character, but her defense skills are nonexistant. Whatever happened to calling character witnesses, or even addressing the fact that Barry's alarm went off in HIS apartment. Why would he trip his own alarm to kill someone? And what was DeVoe doing in Barry's apartment knowing that he put a restraining order against the person he visited? Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole purpose? And no, I'm NOT buying Marlize's alibi about that.
I was so disappointed in Cecile this episode. She should have mentioned all these things, and also mentioned that Barry had no blood on his clothes, or his hands. All the physical evidence was on DeVoe, with nothing on Barry.

Also she could have brought up a hypothetical "Why would Barry Allen, a talented and successful CSI, leave all this evidence on the person he allegedly murdered?" question to add to Barry's claim that he was framed.

Last edited by Elektra; 01-19-2018 at 09:52 AM
Old 01-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra (View Post)
Remember when Barry was hanging off DeVoe's flying chair in the previous episode (before he fell into the lake)? He had one glove off, and DeVoe grabbed his hand and dug his nails in.
Oh, I remember now. Over the past weeks I didn't re-watch any episodes... But also...does that mean that Barry doesn't wash his hands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektra
She might be hesitant at first, but personality and memories are all her husband, so that may not matter once she gets used to it.
Yeah, I guess...but there's something still sickening about it

Quote:
I'm wondering more about the Judge acting as if Barry is some kind of serial killer in his sentencing speech.
I mentioned that too; apparently he's being motivated by DeVoe. That judge was WAY OTT.

Quote:
Probably on the meta-bus like the others were.
Wonder why it took so long for his powers to manifest, though. And how come the dude never noticed that his hands were turning green?

Quote:
I was so disappointed in Cecile this episode. She should have mentioned all these things, and also mentioned that Barry had no blood on his clothes, or his hands. All the physical evidence was on DeVoe, with nothing on Barry.

Also she could have brought up a hypothetical "Why would Barry Allen, a talented and successful CSI, leave all this evidence on the person he allegedly murdered?" question to add to Barry's claim that he was framed.
QFT. I guess the writers didn't want to drag the trial out for more than one ep...
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top