Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 09:53 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterwebzKid (View Post)
Barry was awesome, and Grant Gustin is awesome as him. Loved how happy he was when he discovered his superspeed, and that he wasn't all mopey about it and instantly accepted it. Loved also how he instantly wanted to stop Weather Wizard because it was the right thing to do. Yeah, part of the reason for him fighting crime is his mom's death, but it's not the main reason. He's doing it because it's the right thing to do. Like how he tried to stop the other kids from beating up kids they felt was "different", and so the bullies beat him up.
Loved him and Iris. Loved his interactions with Joe. Loved him and Oliver's interaction together. I even liked Iris and Eddie. As for Iris, loved her this episode as well. Loved her "Does that include twerking" line, and looking forward to her investigating the Flash and being a journalist.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Eddie brings to the table and how he plays into everything. Same for Wells, who was a douchebag with his "You're not a hero, just a kid struck by lightning" when Barry was going to try to stop Mardon.
Loved the effects, Barry using his powers, pretty much loved everything about the episode. It did what it was supposed to, which was get me hyped for the season!

Edit: Forgot to say I loved Joe's "shut the hell up" line to Marden when he said he's God. I'm also looking forward to Team Flash more as well!
I don't mind Iris and Eddie-They seem suited for one another. I wasn't really thrilled with the tweaking comment. I'm sure she'll be more serious as the episodes go along, but as an initial impression, I wasn't thrilled. I loved Barry instantly embracing it too,but I think it didn't make him think he was a freak because he went straight to Oliver. Maybe if he hadn't met him he'd be a lot more nervous and hesitant, but I think Oliver probably inspired him on some level. I kind of felt Barry's pain, but I like Wells. Whether he's good or bad, that scene at the end has me intrigued. I'm going to go nuts coming up with theories now.

The cast is good for the most part. I can't see myself disliking any of them completely-I'm open to changing my mind about Iris. With Arrow, I just never, ever changed my mind about certain characters, like Moira. Same with Slade and Shado-I only liked her because I thought she looked like that chick from Game of Thrones.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
I don't mind Iris and Eddie-They seem suited for one another. I wasn't really thrilled with the tweaking comment. I'm sure she'll be more serious as the episodes go along, but as an initial impression, I wasn't thrilled. I loved Barry instantly embracing it too,but I think it didn't make him think he was a freak because he went straight to Oliver. Maybe if he hadn't met him he'd be a lot more nervous and hesitant, but I think Oliver probably inspired him on some level. I kind of felt Barry's pain, but I like Wells. Whether he's good or bad, that scene at the end has me intrigued. I'm going to go nuts coming up with theories now.

The cast is good for the most part. I can't see myself disliking any of them completely-I'm open to changing my mind about Iris. With Arrow, I just never, ever changed my mind about certain characters, like Moira. Same with Slade and Shado-I only liked her because I thought she looked like that chick from Game of Thrones.
I think the main problem with Iris was that she wasn't given a real purpose like the other characters outside of being a love interest. Its only the pilot though so let's just see what the next episodes bring. I see potential so I'm not giving up on her just yet.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Absolute Fan

Iris is Barry's best friend, the daughter of an overprotective cop, a college student/aspiring journalist. She's already more than a love interest.

As for her twerking comment, that was a problem? Oh. lol
Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by semmanclana (View Post)
I think the main problem with Iris was that she wasn't given a real purpose like the other characters outside of being a love interest. Its only the pilot though so let's just see what the next episodes bring. I see potential so I'm not giving up on her just yet.
That's why I'm keeping an open mind. If I see her being more solid, then she's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_chick (View Post)
Iris is Barry's best friend, the daughter of an overprotective cop, a college student/aspiring journalist. She's already more than a love interest.

She is a grown-ass woman and someone's explaining an important current event that she should care about as a reporter. Who the hell cares about twerking? I mean, it's more than that,but you could be an academic genius and shred up your credibility by saying something that sounded funny in your head. Lois Lane is hilarious, but you'll never catch her talking like that if someone says something serious. People respect her and even if she's fun, it's impossible to dismiss her. Maybe it's a D.C. thing,but if I made a joke like that, I would have never been taken seriously, nor would anyone give me a halfway decent assignment. Age has nothing to do with it and she's not even in college, she's getting her PhD.

I'm open to giving her a chance to prove that she can be serious,but Semaniclana brings up a big point. Eddie seems more suited to Iris and her personality than Barry. He's in love with her-Why would he find any flaws with her? I really doubt he'd see it the same way if it were anyone else. On Arrow, I'm not a fan of Laurel, but I don't dislike her. She's a smart woman who, despite her workaholic nature, can make a joke or have fun. Geez...even Thea wouldn't make herself look so dumb.

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 10-14-2014 at 10:52 AM
Old 10-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:

I'll elaborate. Eddie and Joe main story is that they are cops and work at the prescient. Which is one half of what the major story is about. Then we have the star labs team which are helping Barry and represent the other half of the shows main story. Iris doesn't fit into either mold. Her main point of the pilot was being Barry's potential love interest. Yes we got some sides of her character but none were really fit into either main storyline. It would have been better if she was already a journalist as that could have been its own story with her having her own set of characters like Laurel had in S1 of Arrow. I understand them wanting to show her journey to become that, but I hope they better fit her into the storylines imo.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'll elaborate. Eddie and Joe main story is that they are cops and work at the prescient. Which is one half of what the major story is about. Then we have the star labs team which are helping Barry and represent the other half of the shows main story. Iris doesn't fit into either mold. Her main point of the pilot was being Barry's potential love interest. Yes we got some sides of her character but none were really fit into either main storyline. It would have been better if she was already a journalist as that could have been its own story with her having her own set of characters like Laurel had in S1 of Arrow. I understand them wanting to show her journey to become that, but I hope they better fit her into the storylines imo.
Pretty much. Who knows,maybe they will. I just like that Arrow presented decent female characters in their pilot. The main girl in Arrow was impressive as hell. Really, I can't find fault with anyone but Moira. Even then, her positive traits made her interesting as a character. A lot of characters who aren't so bad give off stupid impressions. I couldn't stand Elena on TVD the first few episodes because she reminded me of Joey Potter, Liz Parker and everyone else. It took 5 episodes after that to take her more seriously. When fun characters like Caroline are straightforward, it's a lot easier to accept them. Leading ladies have more pressure on them, since a sidekick can steal their thunder. I already like Caitlin better because I can take her seriously. She did make a comment or two and her explanation to Barry was hilarious. Also, her comment in the promo. I like Lilah on Arrow a lot better than Carly,but Carly still gave off a better first impression.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Loyal Fan

The twerking comment was joke though? Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about it lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban1o (View Post)
The twerking comment was joke though? Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about it lol.
I know right. It's just a comment.

Icon by Me
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against_all_odds (View Post)
She is a grown-ass woman and someone's explaining an important current event that she should care about as a reporter. Who the hell cares about twerking? I mean, it's more than that,but you could be an academic genius and shred up your credibility by saying something that sounded funny in your head. Lois Lane is hilarious, but you'll never catch her talking like that if someone says something serious. People respect her and even if she's fun, it's impossible to dismiss her. Maybe it's a D.C. thing,but if I made a joke like that, I would have never been taken seriously, nor would anyone give me a halfway decent assignment. Age has nothing to do with it and she's not even in college, she's getting her PhD.
Well firstly, one has to go college to get a PhD, so yeah, she's in college. Secondly, I never said anything about her age. Thirdly, Iris is not yet a reporter, she was not in a professional setting. She was having a casual conversation with her friend about something that interests him. It was not a serious discussion. Barry himself was more excited than serious. Iris, whether or not she's a reporter, does not have to share Barry's interest or ethusiasm for physics. Honestly, I just don't get the focus on that one scene or trying to read more into it, especially when Iris showed a range of emotions in the pilot. We saw her joking, we saw a more serious side, we saw her being emotional and supportive. So yeah, I'm confused. And I think it's fine if you or others don't like Iris but I don't see this as a valid criticism at all.

Quote:
Iris is first and foremost Barry's best friend, not his love interest. The show could go on for years without them hooking up, with Barry losing romantic interest and Iris would still be heavily involved in the main story, not only because she's a huge part of Barry's life but also, even as an aspiring journalist, she has a connection to the main story. After all, she doesn't need to be a journalist in order to use any of her journalistic skills.

Also, to say Iris is just a love interest after one episode is like saying Caitlin or Cisco is just a sidekick. It's a pilot...it's one episode. I'm sure we're going to see all the characters explored more.

Last edited by scorpio_chick; 10-14-2014 at 01:24 PM
Old 10-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban1o (View Post)
I'm dropping the subject since it's all been said and done, but I couldn't tell if she was joking or it was what she actually thought. It wasn't on her face or tone of voice. It doesn't matter, though-We've all got our opinions and they're all valid. We'll agree to disagree. That being said, I think Joe knowing was the best part. It's kind of like how Clark Kent has all this support and encouragement, even if he has to hide who he is. Joe is only criticizing him because he doesn't want him to overestimate his abilities and keep a level head. Oliver doesn't have that and I really like that difference between them. Once Joe says he believes in him and encourages him to stick to the metas the cops can't handle.

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 10-14-2014 at 01:50 PM
Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Well firstly, one has to go college to get a PhD, so yeah, she's in college. Secondly, I never said anything about her age. Thirdly, Iris is not yet a reporter, she was not in a professional setting. She was having a casual conversation with her friend about something that interests him. It was not a serious discussion. Barry himself was more excited than serious. Iris, whether or not she's a reporter, does not have to share Barry's interest or ethusiasm for physics. Honestly, I just don't get the focus on that one scene or trying to read more into it, especially when Iris showed a range of emotions in the pilot. We saw her joking, we saw a more serious side, we saw her being emotional and supportive. So yeah, I'm confused. And I think it's fine if you or others don't like Iris but I don't see this as a valid criticism at all.

Iris is first and foremost Barry's best friend, not his love interest. The show could go on for years without them hooking up, with Barry losing romantic interest and Iris would still be heavily involved in the main story, not only because she's a huge part of Barry's life but also, even as an aspiring journalist, she has a connection to the main story. After all, she doesn't need to be a journalist in order to use any of her journalistic skills.

Also, to say Iris is just a love interest after one episode is like saying Caitlin or Cisco is just a sidekick. It's a pilot...it's one episode. I'm sure we're going to see all the characters explored more.
Let's not deny what the show is pimping. Iris is intended to be his love interest. That is what the show is pimping her as since that's what she is in the comics before the New 52 took over. And then they threw in a love triangle for "angst" As of the pilot, from what I saw and felt Iris didn't have an interesting direction or fit into any of the main plots. While she's studying to be a journalist, its not exactly like she's working at the prescient. That would have been a better idea than to make her a waitress since it would have connected her with one of the main stories. If she's going to have plots separate of them then I hope its an interesting one.

Caitlin and Cisco are still part of a main story with or without Barry's involment. Metahumans are a big part of the show, which they accidentally created so they are more than just sidekicks.

And I already stated it was only the pilot and I am giving her a chance. I was only judging right now based on the pilot. But I haven't set it stone my feelings for her or any character. I don't even hate Iris. I'm only indifferent. Just like I'm indifferent to Eddie (despite him being so damn hot) as well Dr Wells. There are plenty of characters I liked/hated in pilots before the rest of the series changed my opinion.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Let's not deny what the show is pimping. Iris is intended to be his love interest. That is what the show is pimping her as since that's what she is in the comics before the New 52 took over. And then they threw in a love triangle for "angst" As of the pilot, from what I saw and felt Iris didn't have an interesting direction or fit into any of the main plots. While she's studying to be a journalist, its not exactly like she's working at the prescient. That would have been a better idea than to make her a waitress since it would have connected her with one of the main stories. If she's going to have plots separate of them then I hope its an interesting one.

Caitlin and Cisco are still part of a main story with or without Barry's involment. Metahumans are a big part of the show, which they accidentally created so they are more than just sidekicks.

And I already stated it was only the pilot and I am giving her a chance. I was only judging right now based on the pilot. But I haven't set it stone my feelings for her or any character. I don't even hate Iris. I'm only indifferent. Just like I'm indifferent to Eddie (despite him being so damn hot) as well Dr Wells. There are plenty of characters I liked/hated in pilots before the rest of the series changed my opinion.

I'm too distracted by Barry to notice Eddie's looks.

I can't wait for the meta, either. it's going to be fun, even if I've heard comparisons to X-Men or Batman. I'm not going to be able to watch the 2nd episode tonight, but I'm sure that Captain Clone will be fun to watch. Cisco does need to be more serious,but as a Buffy fan, his jokey behavior doesn't bug me. He's a geek and his social skills are lacking.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:

But...I'm not sure where I denied anything? lol Iris is Barry's best friend before she's his love interest...that's a fact. Are the writers teasing/foreshadowng more? Well of course they are. I never denied that. But right now, Iris is not showing any romantic interest in Barry and even if Barry wants more with her, he sees her as his best friend and that's not going to change, regardless of their relationship status.

I'm also not sure why Iris needed to fit into the main story after one episode? The main story itself is just in its developing stages. But obviously, her journalism background will give her connection to the main story. The fact that she's working as a waitress and not at the precinct is irrelevant to her taking an interest in the Flash or any other news story. I'm willing to bet that Iris is the freelancer type.

Caitlin and Cisco may have helped create the metahumans but how would they be a part of the story without Barry? They don't have the skills to go chasing down metahumans and no metahumans before Barry came to them for help. They are very much relevant because of Barry.

Last edited by scorpio_chick; 10-14-2014 at 02:40 PM
Old 10-14-2014, 03:33 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
But...I'm not sure where I denied anything? lol Iris is Barry's best friend before she's his love interest...that's a fact. Are the writers teasing/foreshadowng more? Well of course they are. I never denied that. But right now, Iris is not showing any romantic interest in Barry and even if Barry wants more with her, he sees her as his best friend and that's not going to change, regardless of their relationship status.

I'm also not sure why Iris needed to fit into the main story after one episode? The main story itself is just in its developing stages. But obviously, her journalism background will give her connection to the main story. The fact that she's working as a waitress and not at the precinct is irrelevant to her taking an interest in the Flash or any other news story. I'm willing to bet that Iris is the freelancer type.

Caitlin and Cisco may have helped create the metahumans but how would they be a part of the story without Barry? They don't have the skills to go chasing down metahumans and no metahumans before Barry came to them for help. They are very much relevant because of Barry.
You know I don't like to debate with you lol Let's leave that for the arrow thread Let's just wait and see what happens in the next hour and a half when the show airs. I might be screaming Iris praises when its all over.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Absolute Fan

Ha. lol Ok. Cool.