Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Magenta [3.03] - Episode Discussion [October 18th, 2016]

[3.03] MAGENTA
ϟ EPISODE DISCUSSION ϟ

ϟ EARTH-2 WELLS AND JESSE RETURN TO CENTRAL CITY ϟ
Barry (Grant Gustin) and Team Flash are thrilled to reunite with Earth-2 Wells (Tom Cavanagh) and Jesse (guest star Violett Beane). Wells confides to Barry and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker) that Jesse has all the powers of a speedster and has been saving people on his Earth. He is concerned about her safety and wants them to talk her out of using her powers. Meanwhile, Magenta, (guest star Joey King) a new meta who can control metal, terrorizes the city.
Armen V. Kevorkian directed the episode written by Judalina Neira & David Kob (#303).
ϟ PROMO ϟ

ϟ REMINDERS ϟ
- Be respectful. Not everyone is going to agree with you at all times. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with someone as long as it is done respectfully.

- No character/actor bashing. You can express your opinions on a certain character or performance, but please keep in mind that these are real people who are trying to do the best with what they are given, so please keep things civil.

- Links to illegal links to downloads or live streams are not allowed here. You can discuss and share these links only through PM's.

- With the exception of promos and episode stills, everything else is considered a spoiler before the episode airs.

- HAVE FUN watching and discussing the episode!

Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Previously on Flash!
Hopefully no other altered timeline for episode 3x03.

Jesse and Wally getting hit with a Dark Matter in the preview? will some powers be getting shown in this episode?

Clariss... the other speedster.

These Julian and Barry scenes. The new dynmaic is good for the show.

Awww WestAllen. Barry went all his way for Iris during the first date.
Seems like they don't know how to date since they have been friends for so long. lol

The breach his open... Wells is through it... and Jesse with her speedster powers.
Can we get Kid Flash now. lol

Speedlab? Interesting.

I loved how quickly it took for Harry to realize Barry went back in time again. lol

Aww Wally really wants to be a speedster.

Whoever John is, is treating Frankie pretty messed up. Oh Frankie's got some powers though.
Well the jerk deserve what he got.

Barry and Iris. Even though their first date didn't go well and was "boring" they still want to give it another try! The problem is that they are use to being friends, so this whole new development will take times. lol They have to be use to dating, not as friends since they were kids.

Frankie tells Joe about the blackouts she has...
She's a foster kid who keeps switching homes.

Jesse is speeding but Harry ain't liking it although Caitlin and Cisco are encouraging her.
Harry brought Jesse back to this earth for people to talk her out of being this superhero. lol
Begging and everything.

Joe telling Wally about how to be a superhero without the speed although we all want our Kid Flash. but it was a great talk.
Although I can't wait for Wally to become Kid Flash! It's going to be a great moment.

Great job Julian. He got Frankie to fully show her powers.

Magenta/Frankie, keeps changing back in forth.
There is a struggle with both.

I love Harry and Jesse finding out about Flashpoint. lol
Harry reaction. lol "Oh, so Magenta is another side -effect from your time trip. Genius. Not."

Barry wanting Joe to have more conversations with Wally since he think Wally still isn't happy about everything but Joe feel everything is okay and is okay with his great speech performance and completely agree with Barry, WTH was Joe talking about with the second daughter stuff.

This Caitlin and Jesse speech is going all wrong. lol ANd Jess wondering if she can't use her powers because, "She's a girl. " lol Fair observation. lol
Now Jesse isn't happy with Harry because she figured out it was all his idea.

Aww Wally go after your future partner in crime, Jesse.

Caitlin telling Harry off about his treatment towards Jesse. I like it.
Harry and Barry scene.

John no need to get upset, you deserve to be in the hospital right now.

Magenta ain't playing around right now.

I love that Iris told John about the horrible person he was when she was trying to help him out the hospital for his perfection.

I love that Harry gave Jesse his approval to help Barry. "Run, Jesse. RUN."

Frankie came through in the end, thank goodness for Flash.

Great that the sorry foster parent John will not be allowed to ever adopt any kid again.

Aww Wally still feeling left out during the speech Frankie was giving.

Jesse with a new suit.
Loved the Harry/Jesse scene.
Aww nice of Harry telling Jesse that she's always been his hero.

I love the Barry and Iris scene here. They are both look very beautiful for their date. Nice small date and agree that they needed to just be themselves. They can't be who they use to be.

What is up with Julian.

Overall, I didn't really like the episode that much. would probably rate it an B- or C+
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Total Fan

- Barry just went all out with the flowers for Iris, didn’t he? Awww…

- Poor Wally is feeling inadequate with his lack of speedster powers.

- Julian isn’t very good at questioning suspects. Yelling at them isn’t the way to go.

- Tonight on the Flash: Fathers yell at their kids

- Hey, look at Iris doing reporter stuff! YAY.

- So how come Jesse’s clothes aren’t catching on fire when she runs?

- Can Barry and Iris just have one uninterrupted date? At least we got a few kisses
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

It was hilarious the way Iris shutdown Barry's 'Is this a sign wouldn't date' convo. Poor awkward babies. They're on the right track, though. So what's it going to take for them have an interrupted date?

Julian has no people skills.

I hope Wally's not crazy enough to seek out Alchemy he perked up when Frankie mentioned that she started having dreams. Barry's already got his dad voice down.

Joe called Barry his second daughter. Poor Barry.

I'm glad Iris' reporter skills are being put to use.

And finally, a metahuman that can be talked down.

I like this episode and next week's episode looks good.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

i loved joey king in the episode

sorry barry and iris didnt get their date, they need to stop trying so hard

hope wally doesnt do anything else stupid in hopes of trying to get powers.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Master Fan

I have a feeling that Wally will go to Alchemy and get his powers. (Hope not)

Really love seeing Harry and Jesse again.
And I love the Harry and Cisco scenes.

I wonder if Julian thinks that Barry is Alchemy?

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 AM
Obsessed Fan

Loved particular scenes more than the episode as a whole.

- Barry's introduction scene was my favorite.

- Barry and Iris being awkward dorks. It was so funny, I felt awkward for them. Like even the way they were sitting at the table. Sit opposite each other you dorks.

- Wells concerned Dad routine. I dunno it's tired

- Wally being a Daredevil. Don't do it babe! The Speedforce isn't worth it. And he was wearing yellow. I love that he's vocal about wanting powers.

-Magneta...meh.

-Iris going to the hospital to question the foster Dad and saving him.

- Julian is so rude....and I love it!

- Barry and Iris got it right! Cute as hell. The whole part of me, part of you, our lives was so sweet. But the date getting interuppted again...hell no. How did she get home? Lol.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelena&Bamon (View Post)
- Barry and Iris got it right! Cute as hell. The whole part of me, part of you, our lives was so sweet. But the date getting interuppted again...hell no. How did she get home? Lol.
I was wondering that myself! I'm like "Wait, he just ran her to a different timezone where it was still daytime (it looked like it was nighttime in Central City)... and he's going to leave her there?" Maybe she called Jessie to woosh her home?

I wonder if Iris will bring it up next week, "Hey, Bear? Next time you have to rush off while we're on a date, can you maybe take me home first?"
Old 10-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Enjoyed this ep as a whole...it didn't seem as if parts were deleted; they probably were, but it didn't feel like it.

The best parts, if you know me were Westallen & their dates. The shyness, the awkwardness, the absolute adorableness of it all. I can't wait for them to become more passionate!!!

While it was nice to see Wells & Jesse again, w/them less is more. They ate up too much screentime for me. We get that Harry is an over-concerned dad, but he's got to let go a little. Thumbs up to Caitlin for giving him the talking to that he needed.

Where was Cisco? (I know he was there, but he didn't do much.)

Wally...don't know what to say. He's that obsessed w/having speed that he's going to endanger his life over it??? Just b/c Jesse got (or noticed) her powers that way, doesn't mean you're gonna get yours the same way, bruh. And if you run to Alchemy for your powers, your dad & sister are gonna be awfully disappointed in you for running to the enemy like that.

Magenta...not much to say here except that she was one of many disposable villains.

Julian...what a d-bag. You're just gonna accuse a young girl of being a villain, provoke her to anger, & almost get you (don't care) & your coworkers killed?! Reeeaaal smart there buddy; & you've got the nerve to talk about Barry?? Also, if he isn't Alchemy, then exactly what is his problem? When watching that video at the end, it looked to me as if he was surveying his handiwork
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

A very interesting article on last night's episode:

Forbes 'The Flash' Season 3, Episode 3 Review: Is Team Flash Too Big?

Quote:
I’m not sure how to feel about all these Speedsters in The Flash. I mean, I know that in the comics Jesse Quick is a thing; in the comics, there’s room for lots and lots of characters. In a TV show, there’s less room. It’s already a little crowded. My girlfriend, who doesn’t watch the show, watched with me last week. As everyone stood around talking, she observed (and I paraphrase) “There’s so many of them. And all they do is stand around and talk.”

This is the problem with Team Flash and (to a lesser extent lately) Team Arrow. While I think having a team is OK for a superhero, having too sprawling a team (and cast) is problematic. Jesse Quick’s speedy arrival on the scene feels like something of an excuse to shoehorn her father, Harrison Wells, back into the picture. It was sort of clever to do that last season by having Zoom come from Earth 2; it’s less clever here. As much as I loved Wells in the first season, I loved him because he was a fascinating bad guy, and because Tom Cavanagh is such a great actor.

But now? Now it feels redundant. It feels forced. And it feels like Team Flash is way too big. Once upon a time it was just Cisco, Caitlin Snow, Evil Harrison Wells and Barry. Joe West was their man on the inside of the police force, but he wasn’t necessarily part of the team directly. Now? The five people mentioned above, plus Iris and Wally and Jesse, and who knows who else may come along? It’s a little absurd when eight people are standing around in Star Labs talking. At points last season we also had Barry’s dad in the mix; before that we had Caitlin’s fiance and the two halves of Firestorm.

What this show (and Arrow) often fail to realize is that even with a sprawling cast, most effective dramas still utilize crowd control. We don’t need scenes with this many characters in them…really ever. We also don’t need this many characters necessarily. Does The Flash really depend so heavily on Harrison Wells to survive?

I liked the action bits surrounding Magenta. I really like Tom Felton’s addition to the cast as the grouchy, know-it-all Julian Albert. It’s good to have a foil to Barry Allen, and Albert’s acerbic personality is a nice contrast to Allen’s aw-shucks nice guy routine.

Finally, I’m just going to say it: I’m not a fan of Barry and Iris. They go on a date and have nothing to talk about. Seriously? This is supposed to be the love of Barry’s life, but he has to whisk her away to another city just to go on a normal date? And when he gets her there, he has to zip back to the lab because Joe needed him? This is not a sexy relationship they have going, perhaps because Iris and Barry are like siblings, not lovers. I hate it. It’s ridiculous. No chemistry, no spark, no point.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Moderator of ...
Graphics Team

Quote:
I’m not sure how to feel about all these Speedsters in The Flash. I mean, I know that in the comics Jesse Quick is a thing; in the comics, there’s room for lots and lots of characters. In a TV show, there’s less room. It’s already a little crowded. My girlfriend, who doesn’t watch the show, watched with me last week. As everyone stood around talking, she observed (and I paraphrase) “There’s so many of them. And all they do is stand around and talk.”
Personally I think these big teams might go to other shows (*cough* LOT) as they'll definitely be needed there? Like threatwise LOT definitely has the bigger one right now and I think with the crossover, some might stay there?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:22 AM
Supreme Fan

I don't think Jesse Quick is staying. At one point she'll probably go back home and become Central City's protector...on E-2

It's true that the show doesn't have to depend on Harrison Wells to survive. The character worked very well in S1 but now his presence is redundant. Also, it doesn't make sense to have all these characters at the S.T.A.R. Labs at the same time. I agree with the author on these points.

What gives me pause is his view on Barry/Iris. I'm not a fan of the approach they had wrt their dates in the last episode but the author is clearly biased. Instead of saying that their scenes didn't do any justice to the characters' life-long friendship and chemistry, he writes them off starting with "I'm not a fan" and ending with "I hate it". He also makes sure to mention that they're like siblings which is clearly a lie

He started out well but missed me with the last paragraph. At this point I'm even questioning his motives when he admits that the team is too big. This nostalgia for the S1 version of the team is often a very transparent way to exclude Iris from the main plot.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
I don't think Jesse Quick is staying. At one point she'll probably go back home and become Central City's protector...on E-2

It's true that the show doesn't have to depend on Harrison Wells to survive. The character worked very well in S1 but now his presence is redundant. Also, it doesn't make sense to have all these characters at the S.T.A.R. Labs at the same time. I agree with the author on these points.

What gives me pause is his view on Barry/Iris. I'm not a fan of the approach they had wrt their dates in the last episode but the author is clearly biased. Instead of saying that their scenes didn't do any justice to the characters' life-long friendship and chemistry, he writes them off starting with "I'm not a fan" and ending with "I hate it". He also makes sure to mention that they're like siblings which is clearly a lie

He started out well but missed me with the last paragraph. At this point I'm even questioning his motives when he admits that the team is too big. This nostalgia for the S1 version of the team is often a very transparent way to exclude Iris from the main plot.
was going to reply but quick read what you wrote and agreed. but I have not watched this season I don't think I will so I don't know about their chemistry
Old 10-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Interesting review? Meh.

@FireQueen You can always spot the transparent ones. Makes it easy to dismiss their claims.

As for the team, I hate teams, but this episode didn't feel crowded at all. And I REALLY hate the "team" concept. It robs Barry off his intelligence.

They need to utilise other sets more from CCPD, Barry's lab, to CCPN to houses/apartments. Buffy had the library but so many other locations and sets to interact. The Flash needs to try it. I liked the new training room. Conversations in the Lab hallway need to stop, full stop. Who the hell owes STAR Labs?

Jesse is a guest star so it's not that bad. She'll be around maximum three episodes. I wish, oh I wish we could get rid of Wells. Sadly we will never be free of TC.

They need to give Wally a space. Like show him at CCU, show him at a mechanic's, hell show him in his bedroom. He needs a set.