Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Flash Back [2.17] - Episode Discussion [March 29th, 2016]

[2.17] FLASH BACK
ϟ EPISODE DISCUSSION ϟ

ϟ A MOMENT IN TIME GETS BARRY ONE STEP CLOSER TO ZOOM; ANDY MIENTUS RETURNS AS HARTLEY RATHAWAY ϟ
After the shocking revelation that Zoom is Jay Garrick (Teddy Sears), Barry (Grant Gustin) is more determined than ever to get back to Earth-2 to stop Zoom forever. Desperate to find a way to increase his speed, Barry decides to travel back in time and masquerade as his earlier self in order to get his arch-nemesis, Dr. Harrison Wells/Eobard Thawne (Tom Cavanagh), to teach him how to run faster. However, things don’t go as planned and Barry is stunned to face familiar foe Hartley Rathaway (guest star Andy Mientus), as well as old friend Eddie Thawne (guest star Rick Cosnett). Iris (Candice Patton) makes peace with her past in order to embrace her future.
Alice Troughton directed the episode penned by Aaron Helbing and Todd Helbing (#217).
ϟ PROMO ϟ

ϟ REMINDERS ϟ
- Be respectful. Not everyone is going to agree with you at all times. It’s perfectly fine to disagree with someone as long as it is done respectfully.

- No character/actor bashing. You can express your opinions on a certain character or performance, but please keep in mind that these are real people who are trying to do the best with what they are given, so please keep things civil.

- Links to illegal links to downloads or live streams are not allowed here. You can discuss and share these links only through PM's.

- With the exception of promos and episode stills, everything else is considered a spoiler before the episode airs.

- HAVE FUN watching and discussing the episode!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Extreme Fan

We see Eddie again. Even if he stays dead. I miss him. Particularly Iris'm sorry.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

TFTNT Kush! Excited for this one!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Can't wait for the Pied Piper
Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not a big fan of the character. I'm excited to see Eddie again, though.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Master Fan

ok. its getting to the point where unless they are actually going to freaking do Flash Point........ stop teasing the Flash Point Story line so damn hard.

1st, GG mentions really wanting to do it.
Then you have the 2x21 image that ties into Flash Point.

And now the concept of only Barry knowing what the differences are when he gets back from traveling thru time.

I don't know if I want to see Flash point.... or a story line similar to flash point. I honestly don't know..... but I do know that unless they are letting us know what is coming... all the teasing is getting to be a bit much.

Barry gloating about beating Hartley AFTER knowing how the fight goes down?

^^

I liked Hartley... liked Eddie too.

^^

and .... Dementors!!!!! Sorry....

Last edited by bonnie51; 03-29-2016 at 12:01 PM
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Total Fan

* Dear Iris – of course things don’t feel right with Scott. He’s not the guy you should be with…

* Barry, buddy. You may want to STOP going back in time. Nothing ever goes right for you.

And stop knocking yourself out while you're at it.

* Time wraiths! I'm having Doctor Who flashbacks.

* Eo-Wells is so creepy.

* Look at Barry being all smart with Eo-wells and threatening him like a pro. I kinda loved that.

* @ Cisco Rick-rolling Hartley.

After seeing Hartley save the day at the end of the episode, does this mean Hartley is going to be hanging with the STAR Labs crew occasionally? I'd be totally okay with that... although I do demand a karaoke sing-off between Hartley and Barry! (FYI – Andy Mientus has an awesome Broadway voice).

* I kinda liked Eobard and Barry working together (I mean, with Barry knowing the truth)… as odd as that may be.

* Barry making an Eddie video for Iris. That was so sweet… *sniff*. It’s so nice to see her actually mourning him. Finally. I guess the writers heard the backlash about Iris never getting a POV.

* I guess we now know where Barry got the tachyon thing we saw in the Supergirl crossover.

Last edited by Elektra; 03-29-2016 at 06:55 PM
Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Master Fan

* lots of Star Labs time - had kind of been missing at times this season with all the guest stars, other worlds, etc... good episode for it.
* finally get Iris POV on eddie which is good
* time Wraith looked pretty cool
*Eobard and Barry were awesome. lies, counter lies, etc... really, really good scene
* Eddies dedication to Iris was touching

Overall, really enjoyed the episode. Loved seeing Eddie again. Interesting that now Hartley is a good,cheerful dude with a good relationship with his parents.

Hartley being a good guy now.
That is CHange #1: I presume there will be more?

* I would give it a very solid B+ to an A. More confident Barry, more take charge, decent screen time for most people, Iris gets convo with Barry about Eddie and some closure, Wells playing Eobard was cool, etc.

April 19th episode looks intense.... so hunter Zolomon is a serial killer....

and why does he seem possessed at the end of the promo? Are they do a Super natural cross over now?

Last edited by bonnie51; 03-29-2016 at 06:47 PM
Old 03-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Barry getting Eddie from the past to create that for Iris was so sweet.

Going with my continued Everwood/The Flash parallel:

Basically Colin/Amy/Ephram = Eddie/Iris/Barry.

I see what you did there, Berlanti.

It's clear that this is legit the very slow start of WestAllen romantically. I love that Iris has taken time to mourn Eddie. I love how Barry sweetly helped her in the most miraculous way. Iris will date her boss for like two seconds and then it's WestAllen. Her boss is Amy's Tommy, the guy in between Colin and Ephram for Amy so Barry/Iris have someone for Iris in between the death of Eddie and her romance with Barry.

Also loved Cisco referring to the Time Wraith after future Barry as a Dementor. Anything Harry Potter related makes me grin but having Cisco saying it (which was so appropriate) was the cherry on top.

Barry time traveling makes me so nervous. It's cool but frightening. Barry drugging his past self was interesting, lol.

I loved the Barry/Reverse Flash stuff. Man, such good stuff. Loved seeing Barry being threatening. It must have felt good doing that to his mother's murderer.

Okay so Hartley saving the day at the end of the episode... is Hartley going to be occasionally hanging out at STAR Labs? If that's the worst side effect of messing with the timeline I'm cool with that.

Caitlin needs more to do. I'm hoping she gets way more storyline in season 3 and a decent significant other. She's too awesome. I mean she's vital on Team Flash but I still want more for her.

I liked Wally being all happy and chill in the brief scene with his family.

Now we know where Barry got the tachyon thing we saw in the Supergirl crossover. Like how it tied together.

Loved the episode. Preview for 2.18 looks incredible.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

That was an interesting episode!

First off, Barry should know by now that his plans to time travel will NEVER go smoothly!! Did he really think that Harribard wouldn't notice the difference?

Is it just me, or did Cisco vibe Iris being captured by Zoom?? And why didn't he tell Barry???

So now Hartley is a good guy in the present...I guess he must have had a change of heart after being in the pipeline w/Cisco & Caitlin when the Time Wraithe appeared. Does he now work at STAR Labs? If so, I hope we don't see too much of him. And speaking of the Time Wraithe, why didn't he appear when Barry went back to save his mom?

Iris confiding to Barry that she kinda went on a date w/her boss, & "it felt wrong". Hopefully that means we won't see her dating him anytime at all. Also, Barry getting that video of Eddie for her while he was on his mission...that was touching

I'm a bit confused though; wasn't the ending of Ep.17 supposed to explain why he was on an alternate Earth in the Supergirl episode? And wasn't he wearing the tachyon device, but in Ep. 17 he was given a flash drive?
Old 03-30-2016, 08:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn71 (View Post)
That was an interesting episode!

Is it just me, or did Cisco vibe Iris being captured by Zoom?? And why didn't he tell Barry???
No. it was Linda from 2x06 - Enter Zoom. It was a mini Flashback. If you pause the video at 18 or 19 seconds in you'll see its Linda. Same coat, same kicking of the legs, etc. Its not Iris.

which brings me to an interesting point. now, they very could be saving it for the end of the year but Iris is literally the only woman in barry's life had direct encounter - or fear of such encounter - with Zoom Jay. Hunter. However they explain that.

Linda - kidnapped and then dropped from a building
Patty - Barry;s night mare about zoom doing basically the same thing to her
Caitlin - depending on how it all plays out, the show has been pushing that Zoom manipulated her and everyone and played on her loneliess and manipulated that to his own ends

so its a little interesting to me that unless they are saving it for the stretch run - which frankly would make sense to do - it'd be interesting for Iris to have zero contact or negative interaction. Patty's wasn't real but it was something of a motivating force for Barry. So it could be another dream, potentially. If Hunter never really encounters Iris - IDK. Something I'll watch for. Again, it could be towards the end ala Season one, the show loves it paradies of itself, etc.

Quote:
So now Hartley is a good guy in the present...I guess he must have had a change of heart after being in the pipeline w/Cisco & Caitlin when the Time Wraithe appeared. Does he now work at STAR Labs? If so, I hope we don't see too much of him.
Its the change in the time line. And no, I don't think he works at Star Labs because he mentioned helping on projects and to give him a call. Considering he has a much better relationship with his parents in this time then he did last year... I imagine he might work for them maybe?

Quote:
And speaking of the Time Wraithe, why didn't he appear when Barry went back to save his mom?
My guess is because he got stopped from saving his mom? Or you could maybe make the case that Eobard's coaching to hm of what he was seeing and how to save his mom made him understand more of what he was doing.

Quote:

I'm a bit confused though; wasn't the ending of Ep.17 supposed to explain why he was on an alternate Earth in the Supergirl episode?
It did... it was just thru subtly. He tells the helmet / Zoom that he's coming for him. Well, Barry has no breach to run thru so he has to run at E-2's frequency so clearly, he misjudged and ended up in Kara's world.

Was stated clearly but it was implied he was going to try to go to E-2 at the end of the episode and he accidently ended up in Kara's.

Quote:
And wasn't he wearing the tachyon device, but in Ep. 17 he was given a flash drive?
They hadn't developed it yet, I don't think, by the end. I don't think they meant for it to be literally the next day he goes to Kara's world. I think some time passes between the Flash's episode and then the Super girl one where they develop the device...

Barry doesn't travel at the right time frequency...and ends up in Kara's world.

Last edited by bonnie51; 03-30-2016 at 08:52 AM
Old 03-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved Barry getting that vid for Iris.

damn though...Barry's scenes with Eobard were fantastic and very well played by Grant and Tom
Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
Part-Time Fan

@bonnie51:

Thanks for the replies! One question though: Aren't visions that Cisco vibes usually present & future tense...not past tense?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn71 (View Post)
@bonnie51:

Thanks for the replies! One question though: Aren't visions that Cisco vibes usually present & future tense...not past tense?
if anything I'd say more present... the only for sure future I think from Cisco was Hawk Girl. and maybe Dr. McGee... though again since he initially only saw Eobard until Wells told him what to look for... on his own, I'm not sure he knows how to differentiate between past, future and present?

Likewise when he saw Hunter (Jay) = Zoom. Since it was done basically in a vaccuum in a sense its impossible to know what Zoom was doing when he saw him. Same with him with Jessie on E-2? At least the first shot of her in the cell would seem to have been in the past tense likely IMO since Zoom just found out that Wells went to Earth One - and Wells only came to E-1 after Zoom took Jessie. So at best that one was present tense, possible past tense.

I think seeing into the future more often will be part of his expanded powers. I think right now the way they have set it up is that Cisco gets visions of who people are and what they are connected to more than a certain of being in the future, past or present. I think the time fluctuates somewhat.

To me, its like h has the who, and sometimes the why....

but he's a little unclear in the visions as to the when or the where.

Reverb seemed to have the ability to see into the future. Cisco right now mostly see's the present, and sometimes the past and future.
Also think it has something to do with when he comes into contact, etc...

Last edited by bonnie51; 03-30-2016 at 12:59 PM
Old 03-30-2016, 12:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

@bonnie51:

Thanks for the explanation...it seems his powers (in the show) haven't been fully fleshed out, & it makes everything seem so convoluted. I'll try to wrap my old brain around it as much as I can!
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top