Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Master Fan

"You Win Again" (1x11) Episode Discussion Thread

"You Win Again" (1x11)
Episode Discussion Thread

Episode Description:

"WRONG SONG" IS A HIT, BUT THE CELEBRATION IS BITTERSWEET, ON ABC'S "NASHVILLE"

Real-life Country Stars Brantley Gilbert and Chris Young Guest Star as Themselves

Ming-Na Wen Guest Stars as Calista

"You Win Again" -- Edgehill Records celebrates the success of "Wrong Song" with a lavish party attended by Rayna, Juliette and real-life country stars including Brantley Gilbert and Chris Young (who cameo as themselves). But the party gets awkward for Juliette, who brings her mom along, and for Rayna when she's aggressively pursued by Calista (Ming-Na Wen), an exec from a competing record label. Meanwhile Teddy confronts Rayna about his suspicions over her relationship with Liam, Gunnar deals with family issues and Avery gets too comfortable with his newfound success, on "Nashville," WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Nashville" stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O'Connor, Eric Close as Teddy Conrad, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott, Robert Ray Wisdom as Coleman Carlisle and Powers Boothe as Lamar Wyatt.

Guest starring Brantley Gilbert and Chris Young as themselves, David Alford as Bucky, Ed Amatrudo as Glenn, Kourtney Hansen as Emily, Ming-Na Wen as Calista, and Michiel Huisman as Liam.

"You Win Again" was written by Liz Tigelaar and directed by Paul Edwards.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 12-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Addicted Fan

The plane scene.

"Think of Edgehill like your marriage. The only way to get through it is by fantasizing about someone else."
Bucky is not a big fan of this Rayna/Liam's thing.

[x]

The D/R scene is perfection, both writing-wise and acting-wise. A few months ago, I tweeted how my favorite D/R scenes are from two episodes by the same writer and she answered that 1x11 was one of her all-time favorites to shoot with Connie and Chip.

Great Juliette/Deacon scenes at the courtroom and at his home. Give these two scenes together again already!

The last Juliette/Jolene scene is one of my favorites of the show, so beautiful.
"All that you are and everything you've become, honey, that's not because of me. It's in spite of me."

Avery hearing his song on the radio and then driving by S/G playing with his ex-band mates, like this little scene and love the song "One Works Better".
Old 12-30-2015, 10:10 AM
Loyal Fan

Love the scene on the plane with Juliette freaking out about her bean dip and Rayna/Liam being snarky to her. Also love Juliette's "Stop talking" to Emily. I am so glad Emily is still around in season 4.

Crazy to see Deacon so involved in the issues with Juliette's mom, but he was nowhere nearby for Juliette's downfall this season (no one was, really, except dumb Luke). That is one connection the show has let fall by the wayside, and it would be nice to see them reconnect as Juliette tries to get back to being stable in 4B.

Really great scene between Deacon and Rayna.

Aw the Juliette/Avery brush-off scenes with Marilyn laughing at Avery. Marilyn must have had a heart attack the day Juliette Barnes announced her "baby daddy" was Avery Barkley.

The Jolene storyline was pretty well done and grounded, until you get to how it ended later in the season.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:16 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbcwrites (View Post)
Aw the Juliette/Avery brush-off scenes with Marilyn laughing at Avery. Marilyn must have had a heart attack the day Juliette Barnes announced her "baby daddy" was Avery Barkley.
Ha ha, yes.
It's funny all the events that led them to actually meet. And twice it's thanks to Deacon: Avery didn't get fired thanks to him and then he quit and Avery replaced him.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 AM
Loyal Fan

I really enjoyed re watching this episode

Loved both the scenes on the plane - gosh I miss all those Rayna/Juliette interactions. And again Liam was fab.

The Deacon/Rayna conversation was one of their best I think really emotional.

Thought it was a good Juliette episode all round, the conversation at the end with her and Jolene was such a lovely scene I remember loving it the first time around.

What happened to Deacon and Juliette being friends and to Rayna and Juliette it's like they have existed in different worlds for ages and especially since episode one of season four. Such a waste. It seemed that once they decided to send Juliette on tour to give Luke something to do she was no longer able to intereact with anyone else.

And Avery is starting to see that success at the cost of everything else isn't all its cracked up to be although I'm still mad that he is still paying the price for that three seasons later and is the only one who can't get his own career (or story!).
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Master Fan

Lots of really great scenes in this episode

That first plane scene... oh how I miss Rayna/Juliette interaction so much.. and then throw Liam into the mix and it was so much fun

But as much fun as Liam could be he was kind of an ass in a lot of this episode. Trying to take credit for her success (when he starts sounding like Luke, not a good thing). And going behind her back trying to make deals because he thinks he knows what's best for her. Love some of his snark towards her relationships with Edgehill and Teddy, but he was also getting a bit judgy

The Juliette/Jolene stuff was all really good this episode, especially that last scene.

Also miss having Juliette/Deacon interaction. Loved him coming to court to be there for her and Jolene. And loved the scene at his house too (this is the first time we'd seen that he'd smashed things up when he was upset right?). And him admitting that he'd gotten sober for Rayna. That whole bit just breaks my heart

Love the DR scene in this episode too, one of my all time favorites. This bit always particularly hurts

x

Loved the Rayna/Teddy scene after the Edgehill party. It sort of highlights what was fundamentally wrong with their relationship and why Teddy has turned into such a disaster. They got together because he wanted to be that good, stable guy she needed that Deacon wasn't at that point. But then their relationship was built on him being that guy and he was afraid they'd have nothing if he couldn't be that guy (which isn't entirely untrue). So he's repeatedly done all sorts of shady stuff to cover up his mistakes to try to keep that image of being that guy.

Oh, Avery. I love how he just keeps on trying to talk to Juliette despite the intense "who are you and why are you talking to me?" vibes she keeps giving off. And love that scene at the end when he hears his song on the radio but then drives past SG playing with his old band.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 01-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Master Fan

I loved that episode especially for the Jolene/Juliette and Avery being a fan of Juliette as an artist since the start. I love that he always saw her talent. I miss Marilyn she was fun as a ''villain''
Old 01-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
Lots of really great scenes in this episode

That first plane scene... oh how I miss Rayna/Juliette interaction so much.. and then throw Liam into the mix and it was so much fun

The Juliette/Jolene stuff was all really good this episode, especially that last scene.

Also miss having Juliette/Deacon interaction. Loved him coming to court to be there for her and Jolene. And loved the scene at his house too (this is the first time we'd seen that he'd smashed things up when he was upset right?). And him admitting that he'd gotten sober for Rayna. That whole bit just breaks my heart

Love the DR scene in this episode too, one of my all time favorites. This bit always particularly hurts

x

Loved the Rayna/Teddy scene after the Edgehill party. It sort of highlights what was fundamentally wrong with their relationship and why Teddy has turned into such a disaster. They got together because he wanted to be that good, stable guy she needed that Deacon wasn't at that point. But then their relationship was built on him being that guy and he was afraid they'd have nothing if he couldn't be that guy (which isn't entirely untrue). So he's repeatedly done all sorts of shady stuff to cover up his mistakes to try to keep that image of being that guy.

Oh, Avery. I love how he just keeps on trying to talk to Juliette despite the intense "who are you and why are you talking to me?" vibes she keeps giving off. And love that scene at the end when he hears his song on the radio but then drives past SG playing with his old band.
The emotion in Rayna's voice gets me every time I watch this episode.

I never thought about Teddy this way, but I can see how this is true. He always wanted to be this stand-up guy that redeemed his family name and so forth. Never worked out for him though.