Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
A competent writer can find ways to flesh out the minor characters in a manner that does not chew up the screentime completely. Small references. Say, Glenn making a passing reference to his former wife. Shooting a normal scene with Bucky where he's hitting the gym or playing squash. Simple stuff like that.
Hopefully it would go something like this. I have no faith that the old writers could have handled that without mucking it up.

Not only were the Deacon/Gunnar interactions good, but so were the Deacon/Avery ones. Their scenes are some of my favorites.

Ultimately I hope we end up thinking of S4 as a horrible misstep. This new miracle season is a true turning point for the show and I really believe our characters are in good hands.

As far as Maddie's solo career, her parents should make her fulfill it. This is the bed she made, she should be made to lie in it. Maybe she could get a local Nashville producer (Avery?) but Rayna should not rescue her from that contract.

ETA: of course all discussion and dealings with said contract should happen off screen. I don't want any Maddie centric stories either.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:22 PM
Loyal Fan

A lot less Maddie gets my vote for sure. And can Wild Card be forgotten along with most of the rest of Season 4. Please don't ever make me listen to that again.

Agree with everything said especially around having the main 6 interact again. And I want some humour and less OTT drama. And stop sacrificing the characters to fit the plot (Avery in S4b for example). And more music of course. And please god no more pointless singing randoms that appear for a few episodes and then disappear !

I'd also like some longer scenes - hate how the later seasons had them jumping from scene to scene after about five seconds.

Oh and for the love of god can Avery have an actual career ?!!
Old 06-11-2016, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

I forgot to add to my list, don't ever use JJ as a back up singer only. That man is crazy talented (''unchained melody'' anyone) he shouldn't be back vocals.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAB47 (View Post)
I'd also like some longer scenes - hate how the later seasons had them jumping from scene to scene after about five seconds.
Given how E&M work I can guarantee you'll get that wish.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
I'm perfectly fine with them coming up with some excuse to get Maddie out of that contract and when the season starts they've just backed away from that entire plot.
We all know contracts don't mean anything on Nashville, so I don't think this will be a problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:04 PM
New Fan

Is it wrong to say go back to season one and start from there. Minus a few things. More music from Deacon and Rayna together. They are a married couple, that needs to be explore more. I need to see some deep love between these two, like in season one when they wasn't even together.

Juliette and Avery work on getting their family back on track.

Just more music, family and love with a little drama to mix it up.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Addicted Fan

It's awesome to see this board excited and hopeful about a new season again but I think we put a lot of expectations on the new writers.

Less soap and back to S1 roots is a realistic expectation but beyond that, we have no idea where they're going to take the storylines. I prefer not to have too specific expectations because I know it can only lead to disappointment, but entering this new season with an open mind, it could be amazing!

And there are 22 episodes, they can't do miracles either. With this many episodes, even the best shows have some weaker storylines. I think only 10-13 episodes shows can be good all the time.

It's just that I fear everyone will turn against the writers the minute it doesn't go exactly like we expect it. I know how this board works, it goes from one extreme to the other pretty fast.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
It's just that I fear everyone will turn against the writers the minute it doesn't go exactly like we expect it. I know how this board works, it goes from one extreme to the other pretty fast.
Seriously?? I hadn't noticed that about us. We seem so even keeled around here.

LOL!! I am planning on keeping an open mind though. That's a great point. For me, it really is all about the writing with the acting a close second. As good as our actors are, there is only so much they can do with the crap they were given this past year. Some of them in particular went over and above and deserve tons of respect for giving it their all. If the writing is good, a lot can be forgiven. When you combine that with the great actors we have...this coming season should be phenomenal regardless of what story lines they put forward.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2003 (View Post)
Seriously?? I hadn't noticed that about us. We seem so even keeled around here.

LOL!! I am planning on keeping an open mind though. That's a great point. For me, it really is all about the writing with the acting a close second. As good as our actors are, there is only so much they can do with the crap they were given this past year. Some of them in particular went over and above and deserve tons of respect for giving it their all. If the writing is good, a lot can be forgiven. When you combine that with the great actors we have...this coming season should be phenomenal regardless of what story lines they put forward.
I have no idea what Heart of Rhythm means by that!

It is important to keep be open. I know there are some things we don't want to change completely. I hope their character traits won't change. Gunnar's love of cereal, Tandy's (when she's around) penchant for eating almost every time she's at Rayna's house, Scarlett cleaning when she gets upset (although we haven't seen this in a while). I think we already lost Will's motorcycle. Things like that I hope the new team is paying attention to for continuity's sake. But I'm sure they've already bingewatched episodes and made all their notes, so I'm not too worried.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Layla finding a new love interest.

Avery and Juliette getting re-married.

Maddie working on a father/daughter relationship with Deacon.

Will and Kevin happy.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Total Fan

I'm going to try to keep an open mind when it comes to the new showrunners. If I get everything I ask for, it might be unexciting over time, becoming very stale and predictably boring. I want the quirky personalities to remain a big part of the show. I don't want Juliette to become a stay-at-home-mom changing diapers. I don't want Daphne and Maddie to lose all of their sassy rebellious ways entirely. I don't want Gunnar and Scarlett to never have another argument. I don't want Deacon to get all sophisticated and full of sage-like wisdom. I don't want Will to lose his vulnerability to where he doesn't need to consult a good friend's advice.

But I would like to see:
1........ Juliette interact with Avery's friends, especially Gunnar and Will. Hayden and Sam seem to have a great friendship o/s of the show.
2........ Jeff not be resurrected as a saint. If he is a background part of a story on the show in remembering any characters' history, then let it be known what a conniving scoundrel he was.
3.......If Layla remains on the show, then please get her a love interest closer to her age. IMO Avery and Jeff both were too old for her.
4.......Avery become a big-time producer..... or something...anything! Just make him a success! I think that would do wonders for his ego and make his career equal to Juliette's in the music business.
5.......The time lines on this show balance out to when/where/what they should be.
6.......All the main couples get counseling so that some of their Baggage can be dumped and forgotten. I don't mean over a whole season, but maybe be the main theme in just one show. I don't want another Jeff, Layla, or Autumn incident to reappear in the future. Been there. Done that! Move On!!!
7.......The news that Layla was the one who "ratted" to the press about the Charlie Wentworth debacle come to light. I want Juliette, Avery, Will, Glenn, and Rayna find out. I don't think it will make any difference to Juliette now, but Avery needs to be reminded of what that did to Juliette's emotional life and career.
8.......A proper wedding for Juliette and Avery. (I really don't have to have this, but it would be icing on the cake if it did happen.)

Now, before I write this last thought, I have to say that I'm hoping to god the new showrunners have better sense than to do this to Javery fans, but TBH I have wondered about it. (I have NO doubt the old writers might have addressed it.) I do not want Layla to be pregnant with Avery's child!!!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

dp, sorry

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 06-13-2016, 03:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'd like to think I'm actually fairly easy to please when it comes to TV. All I ever really need is a well-written and engaging narrative with complex characters. Of course, in the case of s4, that appeared to be asking for too much. But now that we're lucky enough to get s5 with a clean slate, I basically only have 3 major wishes:

1. Can the main cast please interact with each other regularly, instead of being stuck in their own insular storylines from hell all the time? Other shows with ensemble casts somehow manage, so they should be able to figure something out. Also, the city of Nashville was the heart of the show at the beginning and that seems to have been lost somewhere along the way. I know they're musicians and need to tour the country occasionally, but the way no one was at home in the season (then-series) finale was borderline ridiculous.

2. Deacon & Rayna writing and singing together. This is all I care about here. Their romantic relationship is a bonus for me, but I really don't care whether they're married or not if they're not making music together. I would also love for them to finally go on that tour, but maybe not until the season finale or right before a hiatus so the bulk of it can happen off-screen or something and the cast will still be together.

3. No more guest stars who literally have no purpose beyond stirring up drama in the lives of the core 7. There is plenty of drama to be had internally, so I honestly don't understand why they continually resorted to this. Of course I hope they will also lose the soap. I personally don't care about Luke or Layla, but I don't mind them staying if they're bumped back to recurring. Neither Will nor Aubrey has tweeted or RT'ed anything about the renewal so maybe they don't think they'll be back anyway.

And just as an added bonus, it would be nice if my favorites Deacon and Juliette were ever allowed to have happiness for more than one episode, and to reconnect with their daughters, etc. I always seem to love the designated punching bags in any TV show, so I'm used to it and it's not really a deal breaker. But like I said, it would be nice.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 06-13-2016, 04:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's significant that Aubrey Peeples still hasn't said a word about the renewal. I honestly think she's been dropped or at least demoted to recurring status.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
It's significant that Aubrey Peeples still hasn't said a word about the renewal. I honestly think she's been dropped or at least demoted to recurring status.
I think Will Chase too. Not only has he not tweeted but his Twitter description definitely used to say something about playing Luke and now says "Will work for food. And approval. I just want to be ok, be ok, be ok". And I think this change is pretty recent (aka not when ABC cancelled the show) but not sure on that
Sarah [youtube]