Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Master Fan

"We Live in Two Different Worlds" (1x04) Episode Discussion Thread

"We Live in Two Different Worlds" (1x04)
Episode Discussion Thread

Episode Description:

RAYNA AND TEDDY'S MARRIAGE IS PUT TO THE TEST, ON ABC'S "NASHVILLE"

Kimberly Williams-Paisley ("According to Jim," "Father of the Bride") Guest Stars In a Multi-Episode Arc on "Nashville"

"Good Morning America" Co-Anchor Robin Roberts Makes a Cameo Appearance

"We Live in Two Different Worlds" - Rayna and Teddy's relationship is tested when Rayna performs with Deacon at Teddy's campaign fundraiser and a woman from Teddy's past (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) shows up with a secret. Meanwhile, Juliette tries to burnish her image with an appearance on "Good Morning America" and is interviewed by Robin Roberts; Gunnar makes a connection with his publisher's assistant, Hailey; and Teddy and Coleman agree to take the moral high ground during the campaign -- but will it last? "Nashville" airs WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Nashville" stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O'Connor, Eric Close as Teddy Conrad, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott, Robert Ray Wisdom as Coleman Carlisle and Powers Boothe as Lamar Wyatt.

Guest starring Kimberly Williams-Paisley as Peggy, Judith Hoag as Tandy, David Alford as Bucky, Ed Amatrudo as Glenn, Maisy Stella as Daphne, Lennon Stella as Maddie, Kourtney Hansen as Emily, Melvin Ray Kearney II as Bo, Sylvia Jeffreies as Jolene, Chloe Bennet as Hailey, Tiffany Morgan as Jeanne, Afton C. Williamson as Makena, Lee Vervoort as Cop, Reegus Flenory as Cop 2, Lela Altman as Anne Hanke, Jennifer Spriggs as Charlotte Slatter, Holly Watson as Dotty Peck and Randy Springer as Michael.

"We Live in Two Different Worlds" was written by Todd Ellis Kessler and directed by Paul McCrane.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 06-04-2015, 02:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
Old 06-06-2015, 02:06 PM
Master Fan

Haven't had the time to rewatch this yet but thanks for the thread
Old 06-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

siggghh *continues to make grabby hands at S1* There were three stories going on in this episode.. three... Rayna performing at Teddy's fundraiser, Juliette dealing with her image problems and SG getting their writing deal... can we get back to pacing like that and not having 30 second scenes because they're trying to fit like 7 different stories into each episode

There's barely any music in this episode which is disappointing.. just Changing Ground.. wish we would have had more episodes of DR performing together.. but love how Deacon just keeps pointedly looking at Teddy throughout the song

The tension bubbling between Rayna/Teddy/Deacon is so good. First Rayna's dream at the beginning Can we get an actual scene like that please? I love Rayna's repeated insistence that the country club people are not her people (and love the part where she's trying to get Teddy to do the fundraiser anywhere but there.. hell.. Connecticut ). She grew up around those people, she knows what those people are like and she doesn't belong there. And then there's Teddy trying to get in with these people and the unspoken implication that her people is Deacon. And then backstage it all just boils over. Lamar is quick to give Deacon crap as soon as he comes in. And Rayna's on Deacon's side until Teddy gets pulled into it (who quickly goes for the drunk Deacon digs) and Rayna gets caught in the middle

This part after the performance kills me... because she does need him. And everyone knows it. As much as she's trying to be supportive of Teddy and make their marriage work she needs Deacon and doesn't know how not to

There's got to be a story behind Rayna wanting a cigarette to hold before the show and I'm curious as to what it is... not that we'll ever find out

And I find Teddy's line about marrying Rayna because she dazzles him to be interesting/telling. And I think Luke fell into the exact same position where they were taken by her and wanted to win her over even if it should have been clear that it was never going to really work

And yay the introduction of Peggy.. just what we needed I had kinda forgotten she was married to someone else at the beginning... probably because he was offscreen and irrelevant

Love the Juliette story in this episode too. Juliette is the exact kind of star that the media loves to turn on. Popular with the teens but not taken particularly seriously outside of that. Teen sensations become tabloid trainwrecks all the time because the media is quick to turn on them and make them the butt of jokes (especially when they can be provoked, which Juliette often can). It's very real and I love her trying to manage it (not very successfully in this case). Love her mom being there and getting deeper into that relationship. The scene where she dumps out Jolene's bag looking for drugs (or whatever) and finds the picture of them kills me. Also love the scene with her and Glenn at the end. The first couple episodes I'm not sure Glenn or Emily particularly liked her but here they started shifting it in the direction of Glenn being her family

Realizing that I didn't actually mind Hailey or her scenes with Gunnar... little did I know that they were going to use similar stalling tactics like 6000 more times. Whatever to Scarlett/Avery. I do feel bad for him trying so hard to make it and not feeling like he's getting anywhere. And did like that we got a Scarlett/Deacon scene
Sarah [youtube]
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
This part after the performance kills me... because she does need him. And everyone knows it. As much as she's trying to be supportive of Teddy and make their marriage work she needs Deacon and doesn't know how not to.
These were those early episodes where Deacon & Rayna were talking in subtext basically all the time. It's like they weren't able to have another kind of discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
There's got to be a story behind Rayna wanting a cigarette to hold before the show and I'm curious as to what it is... not that we'll ever find out.
I want to know too.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
These were those early episodes where Deacon & Rayna were talking in subtext basically all the time. It's like they weren't able to have another kind of discussion.
I loved it so much though... and they weren't the only ones Rayna and Teddy did a lot of talking about Deacon without really talking about Deacon

Also I feel this is needed

x

When do we get a scene like that for real?! Although I do appreciate knowing these kind of things go on inside Rayna's head
Sarah [youtube]
Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Extreme Fan

I forgot how hot that scene was. I have no idea why they made the show soapier, but totally toned down the sex scenes. Makes no sense.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

I think it's a combination of things.

Hayden has been pregnant so I guess they haven't wanted to do anything like that with her this season. Scarlett and Gunnar aren't together and they used to get a fair amount of skin back when, and Clare doesn't want to do that at all anymore since she dislikes Sam.

I honestly think they start to believe Connie and Chip are "getting old" for it so they aren't doing a lot of nudity. Filming sex scenes with Scarlett and Hot Doc would be as entertaining as watching her sleep with a refrigerator. Explicit gay scenes would put off the conservative audience.

Not to mention Nashville has always been a kinda prude show.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:08 PM
Dedicated Fan

Also, I think D&R's last sex scene didn't really call for a hot, steamy, intense portrayal. We were meant to see this "true love", how connected and intimate they were. Also, the entire episode was about dealing with Deacon's illness, I was surprised we got a sex scene at all.

I do remember thinking WHAT IS GOING ON when I first saw this episode. I loved Rayna's look when she fell back into her pillow after Teddy leaves.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
I honestly think they start to believe Connie and Chip are "getting old" for it so they aren't doing a lot of nudity. Filming sex scenes with Scarlett and Hot Doc would be as entertaining as watching her sleep with a refrigerator. Explicit gay scenes would put off the conservative audience.
There's no more nudity in that scene than there was in the cabin scenes this season. The scene is just a bit more explicit and it hasn't been edited to death. I would kill for a scene like this in S4, a real one, not a dream please. And no, they're not too old for it, not by any means.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

Also in general the scenes have gotten so short and weirdly edited because they're trying to shove 10 stories into each episode
Sarah [youtube]
Old 06-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFan221 (View Post)
I forgot how hot that scene was. I have no idea why they made the show soapier, but totally toned down the sex scenes. Makes no sense.
I didnt' forget. I mentioned recently that I thought it was the hottest scene they'd ever had. Props people!!

Kills me.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff (View Post)
I didnt' forget. I mentioned recently that I thought it was the hottest scene they'd ever had. Props people!!

Kills me.
Interesting that was the first love scene they ever had. Though I imagine the initial love scene at the cabin in season 2 would have been just as hot if it didn't have so many dissolves and bad sappy music.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFan221 (View Post)
Interesting that was the first love scene they ever had. Though I imagine the initial love scene at the cabin in season 2 would have been just as hot if it didn't have so many dissolves and bad sappy music.
Yes, that one was pretty hot, too. That was my vote for 2nd hottest, but you're right, the distracting cheese factor took away from it.

The notion that they not having them do sex scenes because they are too old is, at least should be, ridiculous. When you are younger than your mid to late 40s, you don't yet realize that when you get to Chip and Connie's age, you [hopefully]don't think of yourself as OLD, you just think of yourself as YOU, and THEY certainly don't LOOK old. A lot of the audience is their ages or older, and those audience members want to see "people like them" doing things like that!

But, I do think that the notion of the specter of Deacon's illness hanging over their heads could be a semi-plausible "reason" for TPTB to maybe show them holding back. I myself don't think it's a good one--I mean they did have her say "I missed you in my bed last night". They just aren't showing US any action happening.

All this is assuming there is any kind of "master plan" with the writers of this show. But that is probably stretching the bounds of credibility.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Extreme Fan

The notion that they're too old is ridiculous. More than half of the women who watch this show drool over Chip...even 20 somethings. I'm sure all of them would like to see him half naked in bed with Connie...or with them