Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" (1x02) Episode Discussion Thread

“I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)” (1x02)
Episode Discussion Thread

Episode Description:

RAYNA AND DEACON'S TANGLED PAST MAY STALL THEIR PLAN TO GO ON THE ROAD, EVEN AS JULIETTE IS DETERMINED TO LURE DEACON INTO HER CLUTCHES, ON ABC's "NASHVILLE"

"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" - Teddy's mayoral campaign is moving ahead and Rayna reluctantly endures an investigation that reveals some explosive family secrets. Meanwhile Coleman Carlisle is starting to lay down the groundwork for his campaign when he discovers Lamar is poised to go head to head with him - even if it means exposing his longtime friend; Juliette, who will stop at nothing when it comes to getting her hands on Deacon, sees him perform with Rayna at the Bluebird, and it's clear that not all feelings fade with time; and Scarlett is torn between pursuing her dream of songwriting with Gunnar and her commitment to Avery, on "Nashville," WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17 (10:00-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Nashville" stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Powers Booth as Lamar Wyatt, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Eric Close as Teddy Conrad, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O'Connor, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott and Robert Wisdom as Coleman Carlisle.

Guest starring are Judith Hoag as Tandy Wyatt, JD Souther as Watty White and Nicholas Strong as J.T.

"I Can't Help It (If I'm Still in Love with You)" was written Callie Khouri and directed by RJ Cutler.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Master Fan

That intimate tour for DR that Watty suggested, I want it... I want it so much.. next season please... they can write an album while he's recovering from surgery and then go out on that tour... and I already mentioned this in the DR thread, but how when Deacon comes in after the tour discussion he just takes food off Rayna's plate and eats it.. he doesn't ask, she barely seems to notice like it's just normal.. love it

I love No One Will Ever Love You... it's probably my most rewatched scene of the series... love how partway through everything in the background goes dark and it's just them singing to each other.. loved their fight earlier in the episode too... Rayna's "Don't you dare act like I haven't been there for you" and it takes a turn from arguing about stuff happening then to sooo much other stuff... all the DR stuff just aches in the best possible way

Not appreciating the reminders that Juliette and Deacon slept together.. glad the show has pretended that never happened.. let's get to the episodes where they get to be friends after they stop sleeping together... but I still really love Undermine, might still be my favorite Juliette song... and I love the scene where she's recording it intercut with Rayna in the vulnerability study

I miss this kind of focus on Juliette's career too... trying to reinvent herself from targeting tweens to being a serious artist... has she actually succeeded in that? there are moments when she's been taken more seriously as an artist.. but overall? they've kind of stopped telling that story and I wish they hadn't

During the vulnerability study and they're asking Teddy whether he'd ever had a girlfriend or slept with hookers while Rayna was out on tour and he acted like that was such a ridiculous idea... lololol... oh Teddy, how far you've fallen... but then again he was also burning paperwork to cover up his crimes so maybe things haven't really changed that much

Even then if SG aren't singing my interest goes way down... and I had kinda forgotten that they were only like work friends and hadn't really spent time together outside the Bluebird

I wish the writers would watch these episodes and figure out this pacing again... and the focus on the music... but leave the political story in S1 please

ETA: Random observation but just noticed in the early press releases they listed Tandy as Tandy Wyatt
Sarah [youtube]

Last edited by soapbubbles511; 05-28-2015 at 12:34 AM
Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Extreme Fan

Just re-watched this too. Oh, how I miss season 1. Really nice long scenes, actual character development, no over the top soapiness. Just the right amount of characters. Sigh.

Loved the scene where Deacon steals the grapes off of Rayna's plate. It was so obvious even then how connected they were. When it cut to that next scene with Teddy and she in bed all I could think was you're right to be nervous about Rayna and Deacon alone together, a couple years from now that will be his side of the bed!

Also, didn't it seem like from what Rayna was discussing with Watty that she and Deacon were an actual act before he went into Rehab, and then she just went solo and he moved into the background? The original tour was clearly the two of them singing love songs together. I hate how they re-wrote history in Ep 320 to make it seem like she was already big without him and he just became a back up for her.

I Fast forwarded through the Juliette/Deacon scenes, glad that was over with quickly. Yeah, S/G are great when they sing, but I never really thought they were anything special off the stage.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
love how partway through everything in the background goes dark and it's just them singing to each other.. loved their fight earlier in the episode too... Rayna's "Don't you dare act like I haven't been there for you" and it takes a turn from arguing about stuff happening then to sooo much other stuff... all the DR stuff just aches in the best possible way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFan221 (View Post)
Also, didn't it seem like from what Rayna was discussing with Watty that she and Deacon were an actual act before he went into Rehab, and then she just went solo and he moved into the background? The original tour was clearly the two of them singing love songs together. I hate how they re-wrote history in Ep 320 to make it seem like she was already big without him and he just became a back up for her.
At this point, everyone can decide what they want their backstory to be because the writers have obviously no idea.

Some favorite quotes:

Rayna: Y'all are gonna be graduated from high school by the time we get through this traffic.
Maddie: Not if we never get to school.

Juliette: Deacon was just telling me about your little... tour. Sounds like it could be fun.
Rayna: Yeah. You know, it's just gonna be old school. Some guitars and great songs. It's just a show for people who love actual music.

Deacon: This is not how songs get written.
Juliette: No, this is what songs get written about.

Deacon: You're really good at this.
Juliette: Well, it's not much of a compliment if you're that surprised.

Random thoughts:

- Just love Avery's performances at The 5 Spot so much.
- Rayna's little smile and shoulder shrug when Bucky says "...telling Marshall Evans to kiss your ass..."
- Juliette's Tammy Wynette's land... that we never heard of again.
- "These songs? I play these songs. All right, every third Thursday at the Bluebird, I'm there, playing our songs."

x
Old 05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

ITA on pretty much everything said already. I know Tammy Wynette land is something J/A fans have been asking to bring back forever. I know a few people hate that Juliette is still living in the house of doom that Dante got her to buy.

I also loved Avery's performance at the 5 spot. I miss 5 spot as a set. I really wish they would bring back his career and make Glenn his manager. I know I keep mentioning this (yet somehow forgot to bring it up in the wish list thread, glad someone else mentioned it too) and the Jeff punch so I probably won't get it but still I want Avery's career back. Just give him good songs.

The D/R songs and S/G songs are great in s1. I really miss the sound of s1. That said I don't rewatch 102 that often, the only stuff I rewatch is Avery singing and D/R scenes when I do.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Master Fan

I would love for the Tammy Wynette land to be brought up again. Maybe she'll finally get out of this house when she cleans up the current mess.

I still prefer producer Avery (although admittedly that could be largely because I have very little interest in his songs)

The S1 music was really hit or miss with me. There were a handful of standout songs but (as I realized during the song survivor) most of the songs I literally could not remember. As a whole I think the music has gotten better since S1.

Especially in these early episodes it's very clear that they had way more budget in S1. The shots of Nashville, more location shoots, more concert scenes.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Star

Producer!Avery is my favourite too!

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
Old 05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
I would love for the Tammy Wynette land to be brought up again. Maybe she'll finally get out of this house when she cleans up the current mess.

I still prefer producer Avery (although admittedly that could be largely because I have very little interest in his songs)

The S1 music was really hit or miss with me. There were a handful of standout songs but (as I realized during the song survivor) most of the songs I literally could not remember. As a whole I think the music has gotten better since S1.

Especially in these early episodes it's very clear that they had way more budget in S1. The shots of Nashville, more location shoots, more concert scenes.
I loved the S/G and D/R songs more in s1. Juliette was hit or miss in s1. The duets were awesome though.

As for Producer Avery, I don't want him stuck producing S/G or even worst Layla. If it was Juliette, Deacon, Rayna or the girls, it would be a different story.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Avery in season 1 was probably the thing I most disliked about the entire season. Well, and caught-in-the-headlights Scarlett, whom I've only started appreciating when she started interacting with Deacon a little more. Both of them bugged the hell out of me at the beginning.

I think my favorite line in this episode is Deacon's "If I wanted a fight like this, I'd have a damn girlfriend." It said a lot about their relationship, in fact the whole argument did. I love it.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Master Fan

SG just had a lottttt of songs in S1. There were a couple standouts and then a bunch that were good but not better than their later stuff.

What I want for Avery is to be the producer for H65 (but yes, not Layla, never Layla). They've kind of implied that H65 has signed other people so Avery can do their albums (and H65 can continue signing people that aren't necessarily characters). Then he can have scenes at the H65 offices with Rayna. Rayna can have scenes running her label. Avery can be a successful producer. They can have scenes together. All good. And if DR want to write that album and have Avery produce it I certainly won't complain
Sarah [youtube]