Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

This is a bit off topic from what we're discussing at the moment, but it's something that's been floating around in my head lately (and in the background for a while really).

Maybe this is just my perception, I don't know, but it kind of bothers me that they've painted the 11 years Deacon and Rayna were together as her own personal Hell.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get that living with Deacon as an alcoholic who was unreliable, getting into fights and thrown into jail, and busting up furniture would have been horrible. I really do. But he can't have ALWAYS been like that. There must been more good times than bad. I can only imagine they the good times would have been heaven. And Deacon himself said to Rayna not to forget all the great times they've already had together.

Just, sometimes I think only the bad stuff gets remembered and focused on - and that's a global problem with humanity (wow getting deep here ), just look at the nightly news.

And I really do think Rayna was a bit of a saint staying with him as long as she did. I'm not sure I would have if put in the same situation.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, it's just something that bothers me. The way everyone on the show talks about Deacon and Rayna's past together like it was only ever horrible, and not that they were actually blissfully happy together during the periods before the drinking became a problem, and his stints of sobriety.

As a side note, totally agree about shipping Maddie off to California with Tandy!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTragic (View Post)
Don't get me wrong, I totally get that living with Deacon as an alcoholic who was unreliable, getting into fights and thrown into jail, and busting up furniture would have been horrible. I really do. But he can't have ALWAYS been like that. There must been more good times than bad. I can only imagine they the good times would have been heaven. And Deacon himself said to Rayna not to forget all the great times they've already had together.
In my mind, they had a lot of great years and Deacon didn't start to drink until the last couple of years or less. Even the writers don't seem to agree about their backstory so I'm fine sticking with my version.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Master Fan

I feel like a lot of that comes from Teddy and Luke who had a very obvious agenda in perceiving it that way. Lamar also had his own issues that he was projecting onto them.

I don't feel like they talk about their relationship that way. We've got plenty of fluffly little back story bits. I don't think they really care how other people see their relationship because they know better. Same with the idea that he's spent his career in her shadow, hanging on to her success. And a lot of that came from the same suspects
Sarah [youtube]
Old 01-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
What annoys me most about the situation is the writers couldn't just send Markus out on tour. Yet again they have an artist bailing on H65 and throwing the label into crisis. Enough already. It annoys me that this crisis exists in the first place but Rayna being late because she had to deal with it doesn't bother me in the least.

And it's not as if Deacon has been consistently insecure. Mostly sweet and supportive but then something hits a nerve with him and he kind off goes off for a minute but then is ok again once he calms down a bit. It's pretty typical of him
Is it just me, or is it starting to require a huge suspension of disbelief that all these artists bail on Rayna's label or that they otherwise come to some fate that causes them to jump ship? Everybody she has, has left at some point. Scarlett. Juliette. Markus. She's got Scarlett back now and the girls are on board, I guess, but does she have other artists at all? That we know of?

Of course, that's far from the only thing on this show that requires a suspension of disbelief, and frankly not even the worst thing, because I really don't care about that as a plot device as much as I care about the suspension of disbelief required for things like Maddie suddenly being scared of Deacon after loving him so much last season or Rayna and Luke ever progressing past the "see you when I see you" in the tent at the music festival--I could go on.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
In my mind, they had a lot of great years and Deacon didn't start to drink until the last couple of years or less. Even the writers don't seem to agree about their backstory so I'm fine sticking with my version.
He bought the cabin after his first time in rehab. This was the same time that she had her first CMA nomination. The timeline is consistently a mess but at one point I was trying to sort it out. And I think the time between when Lamar kicked her out and her signing with Edgehill was roughly 4-5 years. So even assuming she was nominated for her first album they would have been together for at least 5 years before he wound up in rehab the first time. You don't end up in rehab overnight but still.

I'm not sure he ever had a particularly healthy relationship with alcohol. But I imagine early on involved a lot of them playing little bars and things and involved drinking on both of their parts. And he likely had a tendency to overdo it but I don't know that either of them recognized it as a problem for a while
Sarah [youtube]
Old 01-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTragic (View Post)
This is a bit off topic from what we're discussing at the moment, but it's something that's been floating around in my head lately (and in the background for a while really).

Maybe this is just my perception, I don't know, but it kind of bothers me that they've painted the 11 years Deacon and Rayna were together as her own personal Hell.

Just, sometimes I think only the bad stuff gets remembered and focused on - and that's a global problem with humanity (wow getting deep here ), just look at the nightly news.

And I really do think Rayna was a bit of a saint staying with him as long as she did. I'm not sure I would have if put in the same situation.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, it's just something that bothers me. The way everyone on the show talks about Deacon and Rayna's past together like it was only ever horrible, and not that they were actually blissfully happy together during the periods before the drinking became a problem, and his stints of sobriety.

As a side note, totally agree about shipping Maddie off to California with Tandy!
Yeah, you're right, that they are talking bad about that relationship, but I just think that way about the part Deacon was drinking and that's for me just the half time of their relationship or so. And that's also often the part they are talking about. But they don't do it all the time. I would appreciate if they would talk about the first part more and the happy memories.

And about Maddie, I don't have a problem with Maddie the way she is now. She's a teenager and it's normal how she behave at her age, just like Rayna did, when she was young, too. She doesn't understand that her parents just wants to protect her from that horrible music world. She should have a conversation with people that are involved and have experience in that topic, for example Juliette would be perfect, when she'll get outta rehap, because Maddie is also listening to her. Afterwards she should realize that her dream to get musician isn't that great she always thought and has also bad sides. Then she should understand her parents. But one thing bothers me, how she deals with her sister. She doesn't want to make music with her sister constantly, if she also could do it on her own. But she don't have to laugh at her for example and so on. That's not fair and her sister has also a taff time.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
What annoys me most about the situation is the writers couldn't just send Markus out on tour. Yet again they have an artist bailing on H65 and throwing the label into crisis. Enough already. It annoys me that this crisis exists in the first place but Rayna being late because she had to deal with it doesn't bother me in the least.
It doesn't bother me so much that she was late - she had to work apparently. What bothers me is that she didn't communicate that to him. She knew that the opening was important and could have taken a couple of minutes to call and let him know she'd be there but she'd be late, and why. No big deal.

Again, my biggest issue is the inconsistency in the writing. Had we seen them not communicating regularly I'd have bought it, but that's not how it's been portrayed.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn37 (View Post)
I would appreciate if they would talk about the first part more and the happy memories.
I'd love to hear them talking about some happy memories.

And I've been wanting forever a scene with D/R telling Maddie a story from their past. But that one will have to wait I guess.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemgo3165 (View Post)
It doesn't bother me so me that she was late - she had to work apparently. What bothers me is that she didn't communicate that to him. She knew that the opening was important and could have taken a couple of minutes to call and let him know she'd be there but she'd be late, and why. No big deal.

Again, my biggest issue is the inconsistency in the writing. Had we seen them not communicating regularly I'd have bought it, but that's not how it's been portrayed.
It goes both ways though. He knew she was in the middle of a crisis with her label. He could have sent a text when he was leaving with the girls to see if she was almost done there. Or rather than just angstily staring at the ring in his office picked up the phone to see if she was on her way. It definitely sucks that she was late and they both could have communicated better but it still doesn't really bother me. Stuff happens, especially when things are turning into a huge mess.

And I'm always down for fluffy back story details. We do get them, like I want more writing together so we can get more stuff like 212. But the angsty stuff generally gets talked about in much bigger moments
Sarah [youtube]
Old 01-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
I'd love to hear them talking about some happy memories.

And I've been wanting forever a scene with D/R telling Maddie a story from their past. But that one will have to wait I guess.
Yes! I loved the scene where Rayna told Maddie about meeting Deacon for the first time, when he wrote "A Life That's Good", and she fell in love with him within 10 minutes.

We need more of this!
Old 01-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Guys, I think I've hit that wall.

I really miss them. This hiatus is so much harder than the summer because we know exactly what's waiting for us on the other side. And we want it so badly! I just really really want to hear them refer to the other as "my husband" or "my wife" so that I can fangirl flail forever.

How am I going to make it through these next 8 weeks? I need something to distract me.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Dedicated Fan

I'm right there with you. Missing them like crazy!

Getting through the hiatus by watching an episode a day. I'm up to 2x02 today here comes the DR wasteland and general awfulness. Might have to fast forward through most of the scenes of them with other people (yuck!!)
Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 AM
Master Fan

We've been discussing in the spoiler thread but since it's not a spoiler that the wedding is next episode it can be here too... so what's everyone imagining for Rayna's dress? (aside from better than the ones for the non-wedding to Luke )

I'm feeling strapless... maybe something like
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2...pg_640x640.jpg
or
http://www.dreamforbride.com/5453-11...ding-dress.jpg

or a bit less full version of this
http://www.vuphotography.com/wp-cont...ding-dress.jpg
Sarah [youtube]
Old 01-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm not sure what to expect for Rayna. For Deacon, it's far from what I had imagined for him.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 AM
Master Fan

I'm still really not sold on the big formal wedding for them... I'd imagined a lot (lot) less people and much more casual

I'd imagined Deacon more like
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dZnFSGWJk14/hqdefault.jpg
And Rayna wearing something shorter

but since they are going with the big formal wedding not really surprised with what Deacon's wearing...
Sarah [youtube]