Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Master Fan

“Nashville: On The Record 3” Discussion Thread: Airs December 16, 2015

“Nashville: On The Record 3”"
Discussion Thread

Air Date: December 16, 2015 at 10 pm EST on ABC

Episode Description:

“NASHVILLE: ON THE RECORD 3” FEATURES AN INTIMATE LOOK AT LIFE ON THE ROAD IN A ONE-HOUR MUSIC SPECIAL, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16

Performances by Clare Bowen, Chris Carmack, Charles Esten, Sam Palladio, Aubrey Peeples and Lennon & Maisy Stella

“Nashville: On The Record 3” – Fans of the hit ABC series “Nashville” get a rare and intimate look at life on the road when cameras follow cast members Clare Bowen, Chris Carmack, Charles Esten, Sam Palladio, Aubrey Peeples and Lennon and Maisy Stella, as they tour around the country performing the music of “Nashville” as well as original material they have written, during sold-out concerts and appearances when “Nashville: On the Record 3” airs WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 16 (10:00 – 11:00 p.m., EST) on the ABC Television Network.

With revealing and heartfelt stories, “Nashville: On The Record 3” includes cast members’ personal stories about touring and writing, and pulls the curtain back to reveal some of their pre-performance rituals. The music special also features interviews with Steve Buchanan, executive producer of “Nashville”; Lennon and Maisy’s parents, Brad and Marylynne Stella; band leader Colin Linden; and musician Brandon Young.

On December 4, 2015, “The Music of Nashville: Original Soundtrack Season 4, Volume 1” was released on Big Machine Records to digital retailers and Target. With a hearty 17 tracks, the album exhibits storylines, themes and emotions felt throughout the current fourth season of the popular ABC series. The soundtrack is produced by Big Machine Records, ABC Studios, Lionsgate and Opry Entertainment, and 4.8 million digital tracks from the previous “Nashville” soundtracks have been sold to date.

“Nashville” stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O’Connor, Chris Carmack as Will Lexington, Will Chase as Luke Wheeler, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott, Maisy Stella as Daphne Conrad, Lennon Stella as Maddie Conrad and Aubrey Peeples as Layla Grant.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 12-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

I am looking forward to seeing this. I was at the Boston show and will be interested to see if any of that is included. I imagine others on the board were at one of the shows?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for the thread.
Nice we get this, it makes the transition to hiatus less brutal.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've been unable to see any of them live, but am so happy to watch Chip/Deacon ever since he sang "Theme From 'Jaws'" ob "Instant Comedy With The Groundlings" back before I knew the "Whose Line" show existed anywhere.

Also, follow him on Twitter, & he mentioned getting a song that was (at least partially) written by a costar's sibling, so that alone may get it on there.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Wasn't Sam only on like a few of the tour dates? A bit surprised they got so much footage of him.

And didn't JJ do one or two tour dates? We couldn't see him? Boo.

On the other hand, not much of an Audrey spotlight, even though she was on the whole tour...that I can live with.

Last edited by ggmarie; 12-16-2015 at 08:53 PM
Old 12-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Loyal Fan

They seem to get along so well, love what they're doing, and
are genuinely nice people.

It's fun to see, and makes me appreciate them more!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:02 AM
Master Fan

I enjoyed that a lot. It was really different from the other OTRs, much less about the music and much more about the cast.

I really liked seeing them all interact and the BTS stuff from the tour. The whole section of Lennon and Maisy and their parents was adorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmarie (View Post)
Wasn't Sam only on like a few of the tour dates? A bit surprised they got so much footage of him.

And didn't JJ do one or two tour dates? We couldn't see him? Boo.

On the other hand, not much of an Audrey spotlight, even though she was on the whole tour...that I can live with.
Most of the footage came from the first couple shows of the tour, which are the ones Sam did. They didn't have any footage past the east coast part of the tour and the show JJ did was in Chicago

Definitely not complaining about the minimal amount of Aubrey
Sarah [youtube]
Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM
Dedicated Fan

Enjoyed the show. The Stella parents seem to be the opposite of the stereotype of "stage parents", so that was nice to see. Very touching when the mom said how lucky that she gets to see them be together on stage and how she still tears up when they sing. Backstage stuff and performances were great.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:13 AM
Extreme Fan

No wedding promo though
Old 12-17-2015, 09:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

Having sisters playing sisters on a show, to me, means less need for other family on those type of shows. (Maybe for talk show appearances or something.) Also, as someone who had a parent tour & perform with their sister for years before I was born, it seemed less like stage-parents & more like attempt to live vicariously.

Also, especially being called "On The Record", was hoping for far more performances (especially not the same song again as the finale & the one we heard the most of)... Went on Website later to get music, & can only do so Via ITunes, which they conveniently neglected to mention when talking about downloading it at the end.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:26 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycats (View Post)
They seem to get along so well, love what they're doing, and are genuinely nice people.

It's fun to see, and makes me appreciate them more!
Same here! They are such great people.
I don't mind we didn't get the full songs this time, I really enjoyed having a closer look at the behind-the-scenes of their tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJChurch (View Post)
Also, especially being called "On The Record", was hoping for far more performances
The original concept of the "On the Record" series was to be a behind-the-scenes look at the songs and songwriters, this time we got a behind-the-scenes look at the cast on tour.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
The original concept of the "On the Record" series was to be a behind-the-scenes look at the songs and songwriters, this time we got a behind-the-scenes look at the cast on tour.
This is why you're not a TV writer; That last sentence is self-contradictory. Nobody being on an actual tour (for instance Brad Paisley or any other actual musicians they show playing) is doing so simply for a "scene", ergo no "behind" that scene. (Also, as I wrote before, couldn't find a way to download any of the song-performances we saw/heard part of, & I'm betting none of the stories from the Stellas' parents or about Clare's guy would be on the thing if you did download it.)

The special was something great for a DVD extra or something just for a site, but I'm wondering if there's the FCC or another group out there ready to check the ads aired about it for violations of "truth in advertising" laws.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Only a few of my favorite moments:

The fan who recognized Chip in the elevator: "I have to call you Deacon. I know your real name."

Sam singing "When You Open Your Eyes".

Chris' explanation about knowing he had sold at least 5 copies.

Chip and Maisy dancing in the hallway.

Chris is using the guitar he built himself.

And of course...

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJChurch (View Post)
This is why you're not a TV writer; That last sentence is self-contradictory. Nobody being on an actual tour (for instance Brad Paisley or any other actual musicians they show playing) is doing so simply for a "scene", ergo no "behind" that scene. (Also, as I wrote before, couldn't find a way to download any of the song-performances we saw/heard part of, & I'm betting none of the stories from the Stellas' parents or about Clare's guy would be on the thing if you did download it.)

The special was something great for a DVD extra or something just for a site, but I'm wondering if there's the FCC or another group out there ready to check the ads aired about it for violations of "truth in advertising" laws.
I don't see where they've lied about anything. The music is readily available on iTunes which you can download for free to any computer. You will have to pay for it just as we've had to do with the other two OTR specials. I haven't looked, but you can probably buy the show itself on iTunes and have the stories too.

I've watched several specials with well known artists that took you behind the scenes of their tours. It's fun to see what happens backstage and on buses and planes with the artists and the bands. That's behind the scenes, it has nothing to do with filming scenes for a TV show, but a look at what goes in to making a tour happen.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Let me respond here as it appears necessary (sorry I couldn't respond to the posts separately, but "reply notification" Emails aren't happening)...

1] That person saying they had to call him by the character name despite knowing the real one was the opposite of a favorite for me. (Also, couldn't read the "Deacon" sign when the show aired, but Chip re-tweeted a million people offering theirs & links to how to donate them the night those episodes aired.)

2] It was mainly a "lie by omission" not to mention you required ITunes to get the song-performances, not just the "ABC Music Lounge" on the network site they've advertised a ton on-screen during the show. Also, as you wrote, the artists you've watched take you behind the scenes of their tours have no shows. The previous "Record" special had performances of many songs, & actors w/songwriters discussing the songs & the writing, so there's nothing wrong with expecting another special named the same thing will include the same things.