Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Finally glad Layla got what she deserved. This is the second time she screwed J but at least her web of deception was terribly put together. Did she even think it out?

However, not happy with the ending. If this was the series finale, you dont end it on s cliff hanger.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Loyal Fan

I actually have no problem picturing J/A, On the road to working things out between them and eventually getting back to being a family!

Season one cliffhanger, Rayna and Deacon, survived the car accident. Season two cliffhanger, Rayna made an awful choice but eventually it resolved itself. Season three cliffhanger, Deacon did not die!

Season four cliffhanger, I can easily imagine either the plane made a successful emergency landing and everyone is all right, or there was some type of crash, but no one was fatally injured!

Nashville isn't the type of show, to kill off one of the series leads, it just isn't! The only way, I can see that, even remotely happening; if Hayden's health was so poor, she didn't feel she could return. Even then, I can imagine the show trying to avoid killing the character.

I don't like, at all, that they felt the need to throw in a cliffhanger, though. There were enough open ends. R/D went out on a positive note, but, clearly, they still have a lot of healing to do. And they're always going to be a couple that has their ups and downs, though, they're on a good path. Scarlett/Gunnar, Will/Kevin they're together, but life and relationships take work, and that's in front of them.

I would much rather have seen J/A left in a similar place. Facing their feelings, hoping to work it out, but, lots of unknown road in front of them. That's life.

And if the show can get picked up, everyone still has a lot of story,to play out.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycats (View Post)
I actually have no problem picturing J/A, On the road to working things out between them and eventually getting back to being a family!

Season one cliffhanger, Rayna and Deacon, survived the car accident. Season two cliffhanger, Rayna made an awful choice but eventually it resolved itself. Season three cliffhanger, Deacon did not die!

Season four cliffhanger, I can easily imagine either the plane made a successful emergency landing and everyone is all right, or there was some type of crash, but no one was fatally injured!

Nashville isn't the type of show, to kill off one of the series leads, it just isn't! The only way, I can see that, even remotely happening; if Hayden's health was so poor, she didn't feel she could return. Even then, I can imagine the show trying to avoid killing the character.

I don't like, at all, that they felt the need to throw in a cliffhanger, though. There were enough open ends. R/D went out on a positive note, but, clearly, they still have a lot of healing to do. And they're always going to be a couple that has their ups and downs, though, they're on a good path. Scarlett/Gunnar, Will/Kevin they're together, but life and relationships take work, and that's in front of them.

I would much rather have seen J/A left in a similar place. Facing their feelings, hoping to work it out, but, lots of unknown road in front of them. That's life.

And if the show can get picked up, everyone still has a lot of story,to play out.
I agree. J/A had plenty to work out still and just reuniting at the airport like it was filmed wouldn't have changed that. Same with D/R/M/D, they are together but have tons of issues to work through. And of course S/G have had so many communication issues, seeing them actually have an conversation and act like adults in a relationship was something we didn't get to have so seeing that would have been good for fans of that ship. And they can still put Will/Kevin's clifffhanger is as it was filmed and they cut right before it happened so they can come back to it and give the story they wanted with that. And I would think Rayna outing that creepy dude would have repercussion in the story and Cash would probably not give up that easily. And if they have to they could have had Layla try to destroy Avery's career over being publically in a way dumped personally and professionally as his reconcilation with Juliette would be all over the media and Layla would totally twist it out to make herself look like the usual victim card she likes to play. So using a cliffhanger to manipulate fans into campaign on the off chance of a pick up was unnessary. Especially since J/A fans have been put through the ringer on and off since the beginning of their story but especially from season 3 finale to season 4 finale as season 4 was character assasination city for both. And the finale FINALLY brought them back to the characters I fell in love with and renewed my passion for the show so getting the short end of the stick sure sucks.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Part-Time Fan

Everyone has such interesting opinions and thoughts about the finale. It definitely wasn't the worst finale ever, as I saw someone claim. While I didn't think so, many people thought the Lost finale was the worst. The Good Wife had a less than satisfactory finale. Even Castle's was less than completely satisfactory. I think there were plenty of storylines that could be extended into a 5th season, not the least of which is the aftermath of what happened with Maddie. That got wrapped up predictably neatly, but there's a lot under the surface that will have to be dealt with, given another season.

I'm sorry for the Javery fans, that they didn't get what they wanted, but I actually don't believe there was any nefarious purpose in choosing that cliffhanger to leave us with. As far as using that as campaign fodder for another season, that campaign actually had started the moment the show was cancelled, so a good two weeks before the finale. The cliffhanger was not the impetus for the campaign, although it certainly kept it fueled.

I have no reason not to believe that Lionsgate feels/felt they had a strong case with alternate networks for a 5th season pickup and they decided to use one of several cliffhangers as a carrot - "here's what will bring viewers back in when you pick us up". They could have used any of them and would probably have just enraged another facet of the fandom. I would hope that if they don't get a pickup after all that they release the alternate ending.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL29 (View Post)
Everyone has such interesting opinions and thoughts about the finale. It definitely wasn't the worst finale ever, as I saw someone claim. While I didn't think so, many people thought the Lost finale was the worst. The Good Wife had a less than satisfactory finale. Even Castle's was less than completely satisfactory. I think there were plenty of storylines that could be extended into a 5th season, not the least of which is the aftermath of what happened with Maddie. That got wrapped up predictably neatly, but there's a lot under the surface that will have to be dealt with, given another season.

I'm sorry for the Javery fans, that they didn't get what they wanted, but I actually don't believe there was any nefarious purpose in choosing that cliffhanger to leave us with. As far as using that as campaign fodder for another season, that campaign actually had started the moment the show was cancelled, so a good two weeks before the finale. The cliffhanger was not the impetus for the campaign, although it certainly kept it fueled.

I have no reason not to believe that Lionsgate feels/felt they had a strong case with alternate networks for a 5th season pickup and they decided to use one of several cliffhangers as a carrot - "here's what will bring viewers back in when you pick us up". They could have used any of them and would probably have just enraged another facet of the fandom. I would hope that if they don't get a pickup after all that they release the alternate ending.
The campaign to bring it back started in march when the show wasn't annonced with the others and got more intense right after the cancelation. But they used that cliffhanger to keep it fueled. They didn't trust that the show would be as marketable without a cliffhanger and didn't trust that their fans would continue to push without it. It was totally for campaign fuel.

And like others have mentioned, they could have used all of the cliffhangers but chose the one that not many people made the link to Patsy Cline's death.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshmdfb (View Post)
The campaign to bring it back started in march when the show wasn't annonced with the others and got more intense right after the cancelation. But they used that cliffhanger to keep it fueled. They didn't trust that the show would be as marketable without a cliffhanger and didn't trust that their fans would continue to push without it. It was totally for campaign fuel.

And like others have mentioned, they could have used all of the cliffhangers but chose the one that not many people made the link to Patsy Cline's death.
I don't recall any kind of organized "campaign" until the #BringBackNashville campaign, which started when the show was cancelled. I'm certain the cliffhanger kept it fueled, but I don't think it would have died without it.

Sure they could have used any of the cliffhangers - I still don't have an issue with the one they chose. And is Lionsgate the one who's making the Patsy Cline parallel? That seems to be fans.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL29 (View Post)
I don't recall any kind of organized "campaign" until the #BringBackNashville campaign, which started when the show was cancelled. I'm certain the cliffhanger kept it fueled, but I don't think it would have died without it.

Sure they could have used any of the cliffhangers - I still don't have an issue with the one they chose. And is Lionsgate the one who's making the Patsy Cline parallel? That seems to be fans.
The choice for where the plane disapeared was to draw parallel to Patsy but since the show never mentioned where she died and not all fans know she died, the link to 90 miles west of Nashville went over many fans head. So the cliffhanger was a poorly written while the imagery itself worked. JJ can sell cliffhangers with the drama panic face for sure.

And yes there was a campaign it was the renew Nashville season 5 one it just wasn't as loud as the bringbackNashville one because a lot thought the show would be back based on ABC not having that many prospect and the 100 episodes rumored syndication deal. Heck I thought it would be back and was one of the ones that mentioned in the spoiler thread how much I loved the finale before it even aired (the Will cliffhanger aside) and the cliffhanger we got was in there aside from they changed the place the plane disappear to make it to where Patsy died. But I do think that if Lionsgate really felt that confident it would be back they might as well went with the original plan for all the storylines not just the J/A one. And it's not like her getting home safe and sound would have changed the fact they have a lot to rebuild if they went with no cliffhangers. But I also think they chose that one particularly because of the real life situation because it adds additional suspense, will Hayden be back on the show? If it wasn't for her real life issues no one would ever doubt they would bring back Juliette so in a way it's kinda using real life which is another reason why not a fan of them choosing to do that.

Last edited by jbshmdfb; 05-30-2016 at 05:01 PM
Old 01-22-2017, 10:48 AM
Dedicated Fan

I didn't think the finale was too bad. I'm glad it got picked up again otherwise the ending would have frustrated me.