Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Master Fan

“Is The Better Part Over” (3x21) Episode Discussion Thread: Airs May 6, 2015

“Is The Better Part Over” (3x21)
Episode Discussion Thread

Air Date: May 6, 2015 at 10 pm EST on ABC

Episode Description:

JULIETTE IS BACK ON TOP FOLLOWING HER PERFORMANCE HIGH ABOVE HIGHWAY 65 WHILE DEACON’S CANCER DIAGNOSIS BECOMES PUBLIC AND HE AND RAYNA GRAPPLE WITH WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS, ON ABC’S “NASHVILLE”

Rex Linn Guest Stars as Bill Lexington

“Is The Better Part Over” – Juliette is back in the news – and back to feeling like her old self — following her rooftop performance high above Highway 65, but while she enjoys the attention, her team has growing concerns that she may be suffering from postpartum depression. Meanwhile, Will is surprised with an unexpected visit from his father, and learns his private life is about to become public when a tabloid obtains photos of Will and Kevin together. With Deacon’s cancer diagnosis no longer a secret, he and Rayna grapple with the future and the real possibility that their time together will be cut short, on “Nashville” airing WEDNESDAY, MAY 6 (10:00–11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

“Nashville” stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O’Connor, Chris Carmack as Will Lexington, Will Chase as Luke Wheeler, Eric Close as Teddy Conrad, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Oliver Hudson as Jeff Fordham, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott, Maisy Stella as Daphne Conrad and Lennon Stella as Maddie Conrad.

Guest starring are Rex Linn as Bill Lexington; Aubrey Peeples as Layla; Ed Amatrudo as Glenn Goodman; David Alford as Bucky Dawes; Jason Douglas as Dashell Brinks; Alexa Penavega as Kiley Brenner; Dana Wheeler-Nicholson as Beverly; Kyle Dean Massey as Kevin Bicks; Nick Jandl as Dr. Caleb Rand and Tony Sears as Senator Richard Stern.

“Is the Better Part Over” was written by Meredith Lavender and Marcie Ulin and directed by Julie Hebert.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thank you!

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
boston | los angeles | ♡ Candice |icon by summer falls
Old 05-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Master Fan

I'm excited for this episode. The DR stuff in the promo and description both look really good. Plus the other stories mentioned in the description are Juliette and Will with his dad/Kevin. It all sounds very promising
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

I hope so

honey, you are so f i ne, you blow my mind | Chris Evans - 8 years celebration & 100k
Old 05-06-2015, 02:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Happy Nashville day!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Nashville day is actually on Thursday for me (when I get up at 6 am to watch it), but Happy Nashville day to all my American friends!

May it be filled with a lot of DR, JA, kids, family, music and assistants/managers and minimal Kiley, Gunnar, Luke, Layla and Jeff.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Happy Nashville day!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Finally!

Old 05-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Can't wait!
(HTGAWM) Connor&Oliver, (OITNB) John&Daya, (B99) Jake&Amy, (NCIS: LA) Deeks&Kensi, (Castle) Castle&Beckett, (Nashville) Deacon&Rayna, (Chicago Fire) Casey&Dawson, (GMW) Cory&Topanga
Old 05-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

Has the episode aired yet? I can't find anywhere to view it.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telepath (View Post)
Has the episode aired yet? I can't find anywhere to view it.
it airs 10 pm eastern time so there is half and hour left of the episode before it's over.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, I loved all the Deacon/Rayna scenes, but I had already seen half of them in the sneak peeks. Though what was with that look that Beverly gave Rayna? I felt like I was watching a scene from American Horror Story. I don't understand where that can possibly go, but I fear nowhere good.

Everything else was terrible. This show is still suffering from the same problems they had in season 1. They just never learn. WAY too many characters that were all shoved into this show causing the pacing to be totally off. 10 second scenes?! The editing was so terrible. Scenes were cut off early, cutting off all emotional impact.

No one cared about the political stuff in season 1, that's why they got rid of Lamar and Tandy so why are they bringing it back with Teddy? He really needs to get sent to jail and leave the show at the end of this season, and a bunch of other characters can go with him.

Layla and Jeff are just the worst. There's nothing even remotely interesting about them, and they're grating to watch. I literally cringed when he kissed her at the end. I wish I hadn't watched this live so I could have fast forwarded through every scene they were in.

Kiley and Caleb just need to go, who even cares one iota about either one of them? The Scarlett/Gunnar fighting was so annoying. The only thing I liked about them was the total call back to episode 102 where it was when Rayna and Deacon were singing NOWELY that they decided to sing together, and now it's where they decided to be alright being a band.

I hated all the Juliette stuff except for the cute scene with Avery on the plane. Her insensitivity about Deacon was ridiculous considering she was crying over him last episode. I don't know anything about PPD, but this doesn't seem like it could possibly be any of the real symptoms.

Last edited by TVFan221; 05-07-2015 at 04:45 AM
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFan221 (View Post)
Well, I loved all the Deacon/Rayna scenes, but I had already seen half of them in the sneak peeks. Though what was with that look that Beverly gave Rayna? I felt like I was watching a scene from American Horror Story. I don't understand where that can possibly go.

Everything else was terrible. This show is still suffering from the same problems they had in season 1. They just never learn. WAY too many characters that were all shoved into this show causing the pacing to be totally off. 10 second scenes?! The editing was so terrible. Scenes were cut off early, cutting off all emotional impact.

No one cared about the political stuff in season 1, that's why they got rid of Lamar and Tandy so why are they bringing it back with Teddy? He really needs to get sent to jail and leave the show at the end of this season, and a bunch of other characters can go with him.

Layla and Jeff are just the worst. There's nothing even remotely interesting about them, and they're grating to watch. I literally cringed when he kissed her at the end. I wish I hadn't watched this live so I could have fast forwarded through every scene they were in.

Kiley and Caleb just need to go, who even cares one iota about either one of them? The Scarlett/Gunnar fighting was so annoying. The only thing I liked about them was the total call back to episode 102 where it was when Rayna and Deacon were singing IKHTLYN that they decided to sing together, and now it's where they decided to be alright being a band.

I hated all the Juliette stuff except for the cute scene with Avery on the plane. Her insensitivity about Deacon was ridiculous considering she was crying over him last episode. I don't know anything about PPD, but this doesn't seem like it could possibly be any of the real symptoms.
The writers clearly did poor to no research on PPD. I can't stand the writing for Juliette ever since 317 ended. That said Meredith and Marcie haven't written Juliette well since 210.

Agree on Jeff/Layla, Kiley and Caleb. Honestly my fav moment of the night was the scene with JJ and Scott aka Avery and Noel where they had Avery say they are a mess off stage but make great music when it counts... I Wonder if that was a shade thrown at the actors from the writers.

Beverly is clearly insane... why is she allowed to donate again? Clearly she would have failed the psych eval in RL.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFan221 (View Post)
Well, I loved all the Deacon/Rayna scenes, but I had already seen half of them in the sneak peeks. Though what was with that look that Beverly gave Rayna? I felt like I was watching a scene from American Horror Story. I don't understand where that can possibly go, but I fear nowhere good.

Kiley and Caleb just need to go, who even cares one iota about either one of them? The Scarlett/Gunnar fighting was so annoying. The only thing I liked about them was the total call back to episode 102 where it was when Rayna and Deacon were singing IKHTLYN that they decided to sing together, and now it's where they decided to be alright being a band.

Yes to everything you said. My heart just sinks when all the tangential crap comes on. The story I want is sitting there waiting to be told, but instead it's fitting Teddy with a wire, and Layla and Kiley.
Then Deacon and Rayna start talking of God forbid touch each other and I know I better watch quickly, because it'll be over before it starts.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:15 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshmdfb (View Post)

Beverly is clearly insane... why is she allowed to donate again? Clearly she would have failed the psych eval in RL.
Yes, in real life she wouldn't be allowed to donate, but this show has gone so far off the deep end. I just don't understand how they can have these really realistic scenes with D/R the whole episode where it really feels like these people are going through this tragic time, then have scary McCrazypants give that weird look at the end as if she's in a totally different show than D/R. At this point I'm kind of hoping she dies in the next episode. I don't think I can take a full season of her brand of unrealistic craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff (View Post)
Then Deacon and Rayna start talking of God forbid touch each other and I know I better watch quickly, because it'll be over before it starts.
And yes to this. There was a moment at the end before Beverly walked in that they seemed so into kissing each other that I actually wondered if they were about to get it on in public at the Bluebird...then Beverly came in and ruined it.