Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 AM
Master Fan

“It’s Sure Gonna Hurt” (4x20) Episode Discussion Thread: Airs May 18, 2016

“It’s Sure Gonna Hurt” (4x20)
Episode Discussion Thread

Air Date: May 18, 2016 at 10 pm EDT on ABC

Episode Description:

RAYNA AND DEACON ADDRESS THEIR TUMULTUOUS RELATIONSHIP ON “NASHVILLE,” WEDNESDAY, MAY 18

Sir Elton John, Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Raven Symoné and Paula Faris Guest Star as Themselves

“It’s Sure Gonna Hurt” – After nearly two decades, Rayna and Deacon face the facts of their storied and often tempestuous relationship. Scarlett makes a startling self-discovery in between tour dates while Gunnar performs with one of his idols, rock-music legend Sir Elton John, who guest stars as himself. Luke stops by “The View” to trumpet a worthy cause—before a family emergency pulls his focus. Elsewhere, Juliette struggles to make a connection, and Layla launches her album at The Bluebird. Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Raven Symoné and Paula Faris guest star as themselves on “Nashville,” WEDNESDAY, MAY 18 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

“Nashville” stars Connie Britton as Rayna Jaymes, Hayden Panettiere as Juliette Barnes, Clare Bowen as Scarlett O’Connor, Chris Carmack as Will Lexington, Will Chase as Luke Wheeler, Charles Esten as Deacon Claybourne, Jonathan Jackson as Avery Barkley, Sam Palladio as Gunnar Scott, Maisy Stella as Daphne Conrad, Lennon Stella as Maddie Conrad and Aubrey Peeples as Layla Grant.

Guest starring are Sir Elton John as himself, Ed Amatrudo as Glenn Goodman, David Alford as Bucky Dawes, Derek Hough as Noah West, Alicia Witt as Autumn Chase, Keean Johnson as Colt Wheeler, Mandy June Turpin as Cynthia Davis, Scott Lawrence as Dr. Oliver Voris, Brooke Smith as Jackie Hudson, Whoopi Goldberg as herself, Joy Behar as herself, Raven Symoné as herself and Paula Faris as herself.

“It’s Sure Gonna Hurt” was written by Taylor Hamra and directed by Mike Listo.

RULES:
1. Remember that people may be fans of certain characters/ships/actors, so take that into consideration when discussing! No attacking other posters for their opinion or preferences.
2. We know you won't like everything about the episode, but try and be constructive when you are critiquing something.
3. No talk of illegal downloading. Please use PMs for links to live streams and such.
4. Remember, everything is a spoiler until the show airs on TV.
5. Thank you, and enjoy the episode!
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-16-2016, 08:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for the thread.

The writers have a twisted sense of humor with the last two titles: "It's Sure Gonna Hurt" and "Maybe You'll Appreciate Me Someday".

Last edited by Heart of Rhythm; 05-16-2016 at 08:40 AM Reason: Typo.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart of Rhythm (View Post)
Thanks for the thread.

The writers have a twisted sense of humor with the last two titles: "It's Sure Gonna Hurt" and "Maybe You'll Appreciate Me Someday".
I was gonna say the same thing ...

These last two episodes are gonna be so bittersweet. Also, I'm sure that this one actually is gonna hurt. Especially the D/R scenes. I will probably be a sobbing mess after their therapy sessions

Looking forward to Gunnar singing with Elton John. Great to have him on the show !
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM
Master Fan

This episode was already going to hurt. And now it's just going to worse knowing in all likelihood it is the second to last episode ever
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-18-2016, 09:42 AM
Dedicated Fan

^ this.

I'm slightly terrified of all the feels coming our way tonight, both from the episode itself, and also the process of starting to say goodbye.

Happy (?) Nashville Day
Old 05-18-2016, 10:09 AM
Master Fan

This one I wasn't dreading unlike the past two so I am going to most likely watch it all except Layla.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Well, this episode was super boring. All it did was highlight how one dimensional the stories had become in this series.
- Will being gay, and saying he's going to stand up for being gay. Hasn't that happened like 3 times now? I wish he at least once in the entire series had another storyline.
- And now Will being gay and only gay has affected Luke's storyline! How is it that there's nothing else for him to do either? Also, The View interview was so unrealistic. There's no way those women would say those things in real life.
- R/D, I'd really hoped based on the original script that Deacon would have stood up for himself and they would have really addressed some of their issues, but mostly it was just a boring rehash of their problems and more pathetic Deacon. The end scene was nice, but like most of the terrible editing on this show cut the scene a beat or two too early to give the hand hold any real impact. As a TV producer I would have told my editor to sit on that shot for at least three seconds longer.
- Juliette/Noah: They were just boring, not much to say here.
- Avery/Layla: Why is she trying to hold on to a guy who's obviously not that into her? Also, she's right about Rayna never showing up at her events. I couldn't believe that once again they said Rayna had a family emergency. I mean, come on. Why does Rayna even have a label?
-S/G: That scene with the photographer also felt super forced, one dimensional, and unrealistic. Nothing on this show feels natural. Certainly the Elton John cameo didn't feel at all natural to the show.

I'm disappointed that we won't get to see what the new showrunners would have done, but based on this season, the show definitely should have died.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

Yeah that was all super disappointing.

Another episode of Will spending most of his time at home alone. And again his story is all about being gay. And random guy showing up to his house to inspire him to speak out

Luke has no point so now his story is about Will being gay too

Not surprised at all Gunnar slept with Autumn. That's clearly what she's been after since she asked SG on the tour. The Elton John stuff was just unnecessary and forced.

A whole episode of Scarlett in a photoshoot? Why? And not buying her love confession.

Layla's whining. Avery's clearly not interested and not over Juliette. For some reason someone thought Derek Hough could act. We have all this Noah/Oscars stuff to prevent Juliette from having any sort of interesting story? At least she didn't marry this dull guy before dumping him.

The DR therapy stuff was disappointing. They didn't really get to talk as much as they should have. It was just disjointed. And nothing from the sides made it into the episode (that all sounded better.. more intense). That last scene though

Didn't miss Maddie and Cash
Sarah [youtube]
Old 05-19-2016, 02:44 AM
Extreme Fan

Super boring episode on all sides.

Luke's father is a one-dimensional villain and might as well have been Will's father and/or Avery's father. All *******s.

I have no idea how any of this could be redeemed in the finale and I'm terrified to watch it and I won't be watching it until somebody tells me it's worth my time.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

Three words: Layla you're revolting.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:37 AM
Total Fan

Don't have much time to write, but If Avery had had a tail last night, it would have been wagging. TOTALLY Ridiculous writing!!! He couldn't keep his hands off Layla. Yes, he is totally into her (Or at least, trying to making himself think he is.) Stupid, stupid, stupid. And to think that scene with him walking away from Juliette, Cadence, and Noah was probably the last scene we'll see of Javery!!! I can't believe I have wasted 4 years of my time watching this. So angry!!!!!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:40 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville fan (View Post)
Don't have much time to write, but If Avery had had a tail last night, it would have been wagging. TOTALLY Ridiculous writing!!! He couldn't keep his hands off Layla. Yes, he is totally into her (Or at least, trying to making himself think he is.) Stupid, stupid, stupid. And to think that scene with him walking away from Juliette, Cadence, and Noah was probably the last scene we'll see of Javery!!! I can't believe I have wasted 4 years of my time watching this. So angry!!!!!
His facial expressions read differently.

But I'm with you about wasting time on this. At least for this season and half of the third.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah so... I saw it.

Yes, jb*. I didn't like the ending. That's sort of an understatement really.

Gunnar slept with Scarlett, then they had a fight and the very next episode he jumped in bed with the only one woman she'd declared absolutely off-limits right before she slept with him. Of course this was all in parallel with her confessing to Noel she's in love with him.

That was the one thing I said, if they do this, it's permanently ruined. They even did it worse than I thought, as if that was even possible.

They're ruined. Done. Kaput. Nobody, absolutely nobody, can support this disaster anymore. You can't have a happy ending for them in the next episode because the only way to get a happy ending would be for Gunnar to flat out lie about it. So I don't even think they bothered filming an alternate version for them.

Scarlett and Gunnar are over.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

<And of course the board has to go and f¤ck me with another double post on top of it.>
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 AM
Dedicated Fan

Random observations: Maddie has a framed copy of Deacon's album on her wall. Still. &)*!ing ungrateful brat!