Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, the show definitely portrayed Stable Queen as more than puppy love, lol. I mean, a person does not lose it and go all out dark enacting revenge based on feelings of puppy love. I get Regina was young when she was with Daniel, probably where the puppy love reference can derive from, and then Robin came later on as her soulmate, so maybe in retrospect it seems that way to an older matured and redeemed Regina? I try not to read too much into things said like that anymore because I noticed it's par for the course with the writing for many past relationships on a show when they have a character moving on. They even started that with Robin after they got rid of him - first he was going to be her HE, then just part of it, and now he was another 'lesson' to open her heart and move on. And IF Regina were to get another true love going into s7, I would expect another revisionist answer regarding Robin Hood when being compared to a current love interest. The important thing is WE know the relevance of the characters during their time in the story.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Loyal Fan

I know the show does that I was just suprised that Lana herself talked about Daniel basicaly like he was just ticket for Regina to have different live, especially since she has always seemed to portray Regina as someone who loved Daniel deeply... It is just kinda confusing...
Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I get what you mean but I think actors|actresses do that as part of promoting new story for the show? I don't know why they do it but as another example I remember before Robin Hood first came on, Daniel used to be refered to as her true love and then Lana later changed it to first love when Regina was with Robin? Yeah, anyway, it's strange, I agree, but I have learnt not to pay much mind to it for that reason - promotion.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
I try not to read too much into things said like that anymore because I noticed it's par for the course with the writing for many past relationships on a show when they have a character moving on. They even started that with Robin after they got rid of him - first he was going to be her HE, then just part of it, and now he was another 'lesson' to open her heart and move on. And IF Regina were to get another true love going into s7, I would expect another revisionist answer regarding Robin Hood when being compared to a current love interest. The important thing is WE know the relevance of the characters during their time in the story.
I wondered when they did that if it was because they were setting her up for a possible new love interest at some point. I don't understand that thinking. A person can have more than one great love in their life. It isn't necessary to downplay a past love in order to make the current one look better, especially if the first one ended because the person died. It's not as if the two relationships are in competition. I think they even do this sometimes with relationships on the show that are happening at the same time. They hyper focus on one couple and the others all suffer as a result of it. Either they are pushed to the background or get crappy storylines so that no one else looks quite as good as the couple they are focusing on. Which makes me very nervous for Regina for possibly getting a new love interest at the same time Henry's epic love story is happening.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes this is so true! we know what they both mean to Regina at those times in her life
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry02 (View Post)
I wondered when they did that if it was because they were setting her up for a possible new love interest at some point. I don't understand that thinking. A person can have more than one great love in their life. It isn't necessary to downplay a past love in order to make the current one look better, especially if the first one ended because the person died. It's not as if the two relationships are in competition. I think they even do this sometimes with relationships on the show that are happening at the same time. They hyper focus on one couple and the others all suffer as a result of it. Either they are pushed to the background or get crappy storylines so that no one else looks quite as good as the couple they are focusing on. Which makes me very nervous for Regina for possibly getting a new love interest at the same time Henry's epic love story is happening.
Yeah. I agree that a person can have more than one great love. They don't even need to be compared or downplayed but shows tend to follow this trend even when it's unnecessary. In OUAT's case, I think a lot of it goes back to the writing blunders they make so they either want to cover up or when they plan to retcon canon, they need to come up with some flimsy excuse. That was definitely the case with Robin; not so much Daniel. I think storyline wise, they kept his relevance pretty intact, she even gave her son Daniel as his middle name, but you will get the occasional offscreen interpretation coming from like Lana herself, who has changed her own outlook on Daniel.

But I agree that each important relationship is unique onto itself - it serves its purpose, so there is no need to either embellish some (propping) while retracting from others.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Moderator Support Team

its just sad taht normal fanfic writers portray the lovestories past and presend better than the actual writers

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

That is very true and sad!
Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That is true, Suz. It seems the fans capture the essence better, almost like we share a collective undersranding on what a relationship means, even if we have certain writing style preferences on who we like as authors.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

The fans have more appreciation and love for their story
Old 06-21-2017, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

They do! Their heart stays with it which drives the writing.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:15 PM
Master Fan

I came across this today and it made me think about what we were talking about before about Regina's feelings about Daniel. How many years have passed at this point since Daniel's death? 28 cursed years and probably at least 10 years in the enchanted forest prior to theat? So roughly 40 years since he died? And look how heartbreaking this still is for her. This is why I can't dismiss that relationship as just a young love.

x
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 AM
Moderator Support Team

exactly!! so much time passed when we saw tht scene so t wasnt just puppy love

Sophie Devereaux is the finest actress you've ever seen, when she's breaking the law.

LEVERAGE campaign

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Regal (View Post)
exactly!! so much time passed when we saw tht scene so t wasnt just puppy love
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Regal (View Post)
its just sad taht normal fanfic writers portray the lovestories past and presend better than the actual writers
I haven't read a lot of Stable Queen fanfiction because it doesn't seem like there is much out there that really focuses on them, but Robin is definitely much better written in fanfiction. He has actual feelings and opinions, something we rarely saw on the show.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry02 (View Post)
Exactly.

I haven't read a lot of Stable Queen fanfiction because it doesn't seem like there is much out there that really focuses on them, but Robin is definitely much better written in fanfiction. He has actual feelings and opinions, something we rarely saw on the show.
Agree completely. I feel sorry for Sean, when he was cast as Robin I doubt he expected the poor treatment as he got on the show...