Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

I still have issues with Zelena, but if there's a season 7 and both Lana and Bex return, then I really am going to try to be okay with their relationship because it's probably going to be part of Regina's story.

Last edited by sherry02; 04-27-2017 at 12:22 PM
Old 04-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Lol, I think I will forever have issues with it. Moreso because the baby storyline stuck and every time I see Zelena; I have to see the baby and be reminded. If not for that I probably would overlook it more. So I am not bothered by the prospect that Zelena could be gone.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Bridgerton

I think given the time and development for these two they could build a relationship up.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Master Fan

I think the main advantage to keeping Zelena around other than Bex (I love Bex) is that she is connected to Regina more than the other characters. So when Zelena gets screen time, Regina often does too. Plus I like the idea that Regina has at least one person in her life who is not part of the Charming family. Not that I don't love the Charming family because I do, but Regina and Zelena are a totally different dynamic.

I don't enjoy the scenes with the baby though because like you, I don't like being reminded of that storyline and honestly I wish baby Robin would be a bit more like baby Neal and never be seen or mentioned. I know that sounds terrible, it's just so uncomfortable for me to see Zelena with her because of what she did to Robin.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

No, I agree, Sherry. I think I could take Regina & Zelena a bit better if I didn't have to constantly see the baby.

I guess it still irritates me because if they wanted to use motherhood as a means to help redeem Zelena, kind of like a parallel to what helped Regina (aka. Henry), there were a zillion other ways of going about that so that potential relationships didn't get ruined in the process. Not only OQ but even the sister relationship will forever be tainted by that. Hades wasn't even a permanent character and if they didn't want the baby daddy to be a permanent figure involved on the show, there you go. How about revealing they had a child in the past that Zelena already gave away? This way they didn't have to worry about a baby onscreen, the child could be older, and there you go! Some complexity in the dynamics of what Cora did to Zelena and maybe why Zelena did what she did. It also could have made for some interesting bonding for Regina & Zelena if Regina maybe helped her to find the child? That could have been a way for Regina to have other family ties other than just the Charmings.

I realize it's all water under the bridge now and we're stuck with what we're stuck with but I still feel so ... blah over the whole thing.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 04-28-2017 at 06:19 AM
Old 04-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Master Fan

Yes I think we're stuck with it. There would be no reason to change any of it now.

That is a great idea about Zelena having had a child that she gave away earlier in her life. That would have been a much better story! She could actually interact and have development with an older child.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah. I actually just recently listened to a panel with Sean for the first time, going a little back, it might have been Spooky con or something, lol - but yeah he was describing the time he got the phone call from A&E telling him they were bringing Zelena back & that she would be the mother of his child. So obviously going 'way back when' they had ideas in mind for Zelena & motherhood but definitely it could have been done WAY better without involving Robin Hood. At least Regina's connection to her niece would have been more normal rather than her becoming the stepmother to her own niece by blood had Robin Hood lived. Now that won't be happening.

I just got annoyed with the story pattern they started setting between Zelena & Regina. Everything they did gave Zelena what Regina couldn't have or what she was not ...

1) Zelena & Regina both have magic but Zelena is better
2) Zelena can have a baby; Regina can't
3) Zelena has a baby with Regina's soulmate, Regina doesn't have one with her soulmate
4) Regina's conflict with her mother gets downplayed by Zelena's conflict over being abandoned. Both on their own merit are worthwhile character stories but when put in competition with each other on who had it worse? I feel they tried to push for Zelena since they also saddled her with an abusive step father to boot.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 04-28-2017 at 02:51 PM
Old 04-28-2017, 04:05 PM
Master Fan

I had no idea that Zelena's pregnancy was planned that long ago. It felt to me like it was an impulsive, poor choice but knowing that it was planned for that long just makes it worse somehow. They had so much time to change their minds about it and didn't. I just don't get it.

I think with Cora, Regina had the much better, stronger storyline. Even in "Sisters" when they were all 3 in the Underworld, I felt like Cora was more focused on Regina than she was on Zelena. The difference I see is that Regina doesn't often talk about how Cora hurt her. We know she was a horrible mother, but you usually won't hear Regina say it. Zelena brings up being abandoned fairly often. Although in Zelena's first centric, I got the impression that her foster mother loved her. Of course we don't know how long she lived.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry02 (View Post)
I had no idea that Zelena's pregnancy was planned that long ago. It felt to me like it was an impulsive, poor choice but knowing that it was planned for that long just makes it worse somehow. They had so much time to change their minds about it and didn't. I just don't get it.
Yeah, it was funny because even Sean said after he heard that from them he was thinking to himself 'Yeah, great, that's sure going to go over well with the fans.' Even he had the sense of mind to know ahead of time what a disaster that direction would be. I guess the poor guy even said how he had people demanding to him that the storyline be changed, how awful it was, but he tried to make them understand it was out of his control. He doesn't get to decide. Which is true.

Sean himself even had a clue about what some of the fandom expectations were because he literally came out and said how many of the fans either thought or hoped that maybe one day Robin & Regina would have a baby. So I highly doubt A&E were completely clueless which makes it seem extra cruel.

Quote:
I think with Cora, Regina had the much better, stronger storyline. Even in "Sisters" when they were all 3 in the Underworld, I felt like Cora was more focused on Regina than she was on Zelena. The difference I see is that Regina doesn't often talk about how Cora hurt her. We know she was a horrible mother, but you usually won't hear Regina say it. Zelena brings up being abandoned fairly often. Although in Zelena's first centric, I got the impression that her foster mother loved her. Of course we don't know how long she lived.
I agree that the Cora & Regina dynamic was stronger than the Cora & Zelena one. Lana even said on a panel that was one area she wished they let go on a bit longer ... the mother|daughter relationship between them. I do remember that was one of the stories I got into for Regina when she became my favorite. I was really intrigued with it but it didn't last very long when they decided to kill Cora.

Here's one issue I do have. Zelena didn't even know her parents weren't her parents until adulthood. And since I also got the impression her adoptive mother loved her, it was a hard sell that finding out she was abandoned later on was so traumatizing it turned her into the Wicked Witch. Cora actually pushed, manipulated, and influenced Regina's path into becoming the EQ. I would by it more because of the abuse Zelena suffered at the hands of her adoptive father. Instead, the writing treated her abandonment as if she had known her whole life growing up and it impacted her entire childhood. Zelena resents the abandonment yet at the same time it's Regina she is more angry with. Not Cora. Sometimes she almost justifies Cora's abuse from the little info. Regina did share with her, referring to Regina as a disappointment to their mother or boo-hoo' ing her when she had to be queen. Or saying that killing Daniel was just their mother preparing Regina for greatness.

The episode, Sisters, I felt kind of got thrown in there to force an immediate bonding to take place between Regina & Zelena. As opposed to just letting things transpire naturally in the writing.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 04-28-2017 at 06:13 PM
Old 04-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Master Fan

I agree that Sisters happened to force an immediate bonding, although it didn't last very long. I guess maybe Zelena's feelings prior to learning that she was abandoned by Cora was maybe one of shame because of her magic or of just feeling unwanted. We don't really know enough about her mother to know what type of relationship they had, although I think we can assume it probably wasn't abusive. It might have been more like Henry Sr where her mother was just unable to protect her. The irony of Zelena's situation is that Regina probably would have accepted her as a sister very quickly if she hadn't kept doing things to hurt her.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The irony of Zelena's situation is that Regina probably would have accepted her as a sister very quickly if she hadn't kept doing things to hurt her.
I think that's quite on target because at one Con Lana shared there was a cut line in the dialogue at the jail cell where Regina turned around and said 'It's nice to have family in town.' Just before she left.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Master Fan

It just crossed my mind today that I hope they're not having Regina and Zelena suddenly have all this sisterly bonding because they're planning to kill Zelena off. They do like to do things like that to Regina. As many issues as I have with Zelena, I wouldn't want to see she and Regina become close, only for Regina to lose her. I think I've reached a point now where I want Zelena to stay. I can't believe I'm saying that. *Looks around for flying pigs, snow in July, hell freezing over...*
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It just crossed my mind today that I hope they're not having Regina and Zelena suddenly have all this sisterly bonding because they're planning to kill Zelena off. They do like to do things like that to Regina. As many issues as I have with Zelena, I wouldn't want to see she and Regina become close, only for Regina to lose her. I think I've reached a point now where I want Zelena to stay. I can't believe I'm saying that. *Looks around for flying pigs, snow in July, hell freezing over...*
I would never say never but I'm leaning more towards, no, they won't kill her. If not for Regina's sake, just because they love Bex so much and would keep her open for possible guest appearances in the future if she's one of the actors the network does cut. They even went out of their way to keep her character over Robin Hood. I think it's more likely they'd write her leaving somehow.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Master Fan

I agree that they love Bex, but Zelena has had no storyline all season up until recently. If they are needing to reduce the cast, Zelena is a character that can exit without a huge impact because she's only really connected to Regina and hasn't played a major role in any of the stories this season. I initially thought maybe she would choose to leave town, but now that she and Regina are getting along, I don't see that happening. Perhaps she will still be around for a possible season 7 though. I'm just kind of thinking out loud about this.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree that they love Bex, but Zelena has had no storyline all season up until recently. If they are needing to reduce the cast, Zelena is a character that can exit without a huge impact because she's only really connected to Regina and hasn't played a major role in any of the stories this season. I initially thought maybe she would choose to leave town, but now that she and Regina are getting along, I don't see that happening. Perhaps she will still be around for a possible season 7 though. I'm just kind of thinking out loud about this.
I get what you're saying from a storyline point of view. And like I stated, I would never say never. Anything is possible with these writers and it is easy to expect the worst with their track record. They could use her in the causality count of the final battle if they really wanted to. In that event, I think we know who ends up raising baby Robyn then.