Old 10-29-2017, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic
This Is Us

Absentia Episode Discussion - 1x07: A & B

1.07 A & B
Original air date: October 30, 2017

"A & B" - Jack helps save Emily’s life and finds a startling connection with Emily’s childhood. Emily discovers secrets from the past that relate to a childhood friend, Charles. Meanwhile, Tommy arrests Jack for helping Emily. Alice confronts Nick, which puts both her and Flynn in danger.

Promo:
3/7 & 15/7
Ingrid
broken melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic

Thanks for the thread, Ingrid

SO curious
Old 10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the thread!

Looking forward to this one as well.

Sneak peeks were very interesting.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Ingrid!

I haven’t watched any sneak peeks! *bites nails*

~SK~
💋Art thread🎨

Fiona 🦄
-x-Lilac-x- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic

Hm, I don't know why Emily is so sure this all is connected to her childhood. Sure, we had hints with the tree from when she was a kid, but for me it wasn't enough evidence to be digging more into that thought.

Anyway, she does, and what comes to light is truly horrible. The tapes - it's very hard for me to listen to them, the horror in Charles' voice
I guess he picked Emily to be subject B? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Jack - he doesn't deny having those videos on his laptop - but Emily now thinks it's just his weird fetish or something? And not that he did this to her, although it's very similar. Or he is being framed as well?
That's a bit unclear, but Jack is in jail because he didn't give up Emily, so idk.

Emily thanking Jack was a powerful moment. I loved it! I hope Jack is innocent in regards to Emily's kidnapping.
Him starting therapy again is also a good sign.

Ugh, Alice and Flynn being gone - kidnapped
They set up the thought that Emily took him with that last sentence of her from the video - she just meant in general, I assume. She was with the homeless Boston crew after all.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic
This Is Us

Each episode just raises more questions..

The experiments sounded awful, and I guess someone tried to recreate them by kidnapping Emily and putting her in the tank?

I don't know what to think of Jack, I guess he's innocent but I still think it's odd that the videos are so similar to what happened to Emily.

Flynn and Alice getting kidnapped And yeah, to Nick it probably seems like Emily is the one who did it. I hated that scene where he asked if there had been signs all along..
3/7 & 15/7
Ingrid
broken melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Master Fan

Finally caught up!

Starting with Jack and my thoughts are that he really isn't the bad guy in this, his demon is his alcohol addiction and he uses it and the women as a coping mechanism. Is it right? No. But it seems that he does actually care about Emily, helping her at the motel with the gunshot wound, helping her figure out about the dead man and not ratting her out to the police which he could have done, it would have been better for him, shows that despite everything he is loyal to her. The man has a billion issues but I don't think he is responsible for anything about Emily's abduction. (But then again this show is twisty, anything could happen yet ) Kudos to Neil Jackson in those scenes, I'm so impressed with his acting

So the first body found in the woods was that of the missing man from the orphanage. Interesting. Another (big) link to Emily's childhood. Those tapes were so distressing It seems that whoever had control of the children back then (one of them Emily, yes?) and made them forget has maybe done the same thing again and made Emily forget those six years.

And sweet Flynn, still referring to Emily as "mom" and believing in her Maybe Nick should take a leaf out of his book

Uh-oh Alice and Flynn taken By those guys who tried to take Emily?

And Nick, he's gone from one of my favourite characters to one of my least favourites. Surely he knows Emily better than this

~SK~
💋Art thread🎨

Fiona 🦄
Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic

I so agree about Nick - he is so unlikable.

I think Flynn and Alice were taken by the people who took Emily.

I think Emily was the other subject for these tests that Ling guy did - she was in that orphanage after all... No idea if she is subject B anymore, though.

I agree about Neil's acting I have no idea why Jack would have those videos, though - does he only get off to those videos, or did he do it to those women? Which makes him a criminal after all.

Fiona, that's why I find the 'Thank you' scene so powerful, Emily thanking him is huge in my eyes.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

I wonder if we'll get to meet more of the "subjects" from the orphanage... maybe the person doing this IS one of them

I'm not sure if it was Jack in the videos or if he just downloaded them. I'm also confused about how often it happens, like he went off the rails (apparently) after Emily vanished and then I think he was okay for a few years (?), stopped drinking, went to AA and stopped seeing that hooker/stripper woman then when Emily came back and he was faced with those reporters and it triggered him and drove him to that behaviour again. Or have I forgotten something? I'm fascinated by his character (maybe because I work in mental health field)

~SK~
💋Art thread🎨

Fiona 🦄
Old 11-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic

Fiona, yeah, that's about what I understand, too.

I think a lot of those things are thrown out there to make us think Jack is involved or something.

I almost think it might/could be Charles (the kid from the audio tapes) who had Emily?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

I think you might be right

~SK~
💋Art thread🎨

Fiona 🦄
Old 11-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Master Fan

They are certainly making it seem that way, but then again this show is so twisty, I don't trust anything I'm given or lead to believe.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Stana Katic

Candace, very true
Old 11-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Master Fan

I'm planning on making comments later tonight.

Been a crazy busy week.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Master Fan

First off, excuse the double post

This show is SO good! It keeps you guessing week after week.

I like Jack after this episode. He didn't have to help her out. I did like how they showed his side of the story about what he went through faced with saving her life. I knew he had to care about her in some way.

I've said it before, but I can't stand Nick. I really wanted to root for him and feel for him, but I can't. That video message proves nothing!!!

The stuff on the tape is very intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take it from here.

I loved hearing Flynn refer to Emily as mom. I still want to see more of them together. Interested to see where they take them with the kidnapping storyline.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top