Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Master Fan

The Blackist "List" Thread #1: Luther Braxton on the hotseat!

As we've seen; each episode lists the person Reddington has on his list; but each criminal is placed in a certain place on the list. They aren't pursuing the criminals randomly like 1,2,3,4, etc; it's different people on a case by case basis. How did he make his Blacklist? Are the criminals just a random list with no meaning for why their number 8, 145, etc; or is there more to the list then meets the eye? Anyways, I decided to post here the list so far in the numeric order of the criminals that we've seen and met so far and as the series goes; we might be able to theorize about the list itself:

8. Berlin
12. The Decembrist
16. Anslo Garrick
21. Luther Braxton
22. The Scimitar
42. The Kingmaker
47. Frederick Barnes
52. Ranko Zamani
57. The Judge
64. The Cyprus Agency
73. Madeline Pratt
74. The Front
82. Dr. Linus Creel
83. Mako Tanida
84.Wujing
85. The Courier
88. Ivan
89. Dr. James Covington
101. The Alchemist
104. Lord Baltimore
106. The Good Samaritan
109. General Ludd
112. Monarch Douglas Bank
114. The Mombasa Cartel
119. The Pavlovich Brothers
120. The Pavlovich Brothers
121. The Pavlovich Brothers
122. The Pavlovich Brothers
135. Milton Bobbit
145. The Freelancer
152. Gina Zanetakos
161. The Stewmaker

Last edited by bwm30; 02-09-2015 at 12:48 PM
Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

Good thread idea.

Originally I assumed the numbers referred to how "evil" the criminals were. But if the list's real purpose is to further Red's interests than maybe it's the number refers to their meaning to Red. Like #1 is the person who has the most power to ruin Red. Or not. I guess that's just the obvious idea and this show loves to pull away from the obvious.

So how many names are on this list?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Moderator Manager

This is a great thread idea, Brian.

I assume that the people on the "List" are those people Red needs 'favors' from in order to find Berlin or achieve whatever personal means he has. These are also a list of criminals the FBI have been looking for a long time so it's a win-win situation for both.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Master Fan

^I never thought of the favour part, but that's a good possibility too. I don't know how The Good Samaritan could fit that cause unless he went after abusers that had political or national security connections, I don't know how Red could've gotten into business with him. That one's still a mystery! I think as a personal favour from Red himself; Red would've finished off the guy's mother himself.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I assume that the people on the "List" are those people Red needs 'favors' from in order to find Berlin or achieve whatever personal means he has. These are also a list of criminals the FBI have been looking for a long time so it's a win-win situation for both.
That's an interesting idea. But then why would Berlin be on the list? So the FBI can catch him and Red doesn't have to get his hands dirty with it?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Thanks for making this thread! I wonder who decides what number everyone is…

Btw, If Berlin is number 8 who is number 1…..
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAT92 (View Post)
Btw, If Berlin is number 8 who is number 1…..
The real series big bad.

I still think it will be Liz's real father.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

thanks for starting this thread bwm30

I agree Lindsay - it does seem like Red has needed something from each person on the Blacklist so far to help him piece together everything going on with Berlin.

that's an interesting theory Asya! Can't wait to find out if you're right
Old 05-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Passionate Fan

I was thinking that Red is number 1 on his Blacklist. It would be interesting if he is Liz's father and number 1 on the list.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

The only one whose number was never shown was Ranko Zamani in the pilot (because the pilot didn't have a title card). But Red said that Zamani was the first name on the list, so I put him at #1, unless/until an actual #1 shows up...

With at least 161 names, they've given the list enough room to last six or seven seasons.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie18 (View Post)
I was thinking that Red is number 1 on his Blacklist. It would be interesting if he is Liz's father and number 1 on the list.
Oh that would make sense. He has seemed a bit resigned all season. Maybe once his business is all wrapped up he does want to turn himself in as an out to get out of being Red Reddington.

Quote:
The only one whose number was never shown was Ranko Zamani in the pilot (because the pilot didn't have a title card). But Red said that Zamani was the first name on the list, so I put him at #1, unless/until an actual #1 shows up...
But he could have just meant the first name as in the first name he's giving them not necessarily the first name at the top of the list.

Quote:
With at least 161 names, they've given the list enough room to last six or seven seasons.
Which is a good idea. Allows them to have a kind of built-in endgame which I'm sure was a factor in getting Spader because shows like this can go on for 10+ seasons and probably wouldn't want to commit to something that would run quite that long. Plus you factor in two-parters and they have wiggle room.

I do like the variety of the criminals on the list. That's what really sets this show apart from other shows that focus on particular types of criminals. Plus we always get the criminal perspective on them. So many of these people probably wouldn't even cross paths with the FBI if it wasn't for Red because they're a bit "behind the curtain" if you would. I like that a lot.

Anyone have any ideas about what other "kinds" or criminals are on the list?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoshoujo (View Post)
That's an interesting idea. But then why would Berlin be on the list? So the FBI can catch him and Red doesn't have to get his hands dirty with it?
I assume Red wants to take him down because Berlin wants to take him down? He's working towards bringing someone down (thus enlisting the help of FBI) and for his list, Berlin should be there. Also like you said (and I just assume this), the FBI would help take him down. Makes the job easier for him.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

yeah I agree with Lindsay. As far as I know they have only helped Red take down people on the list. It would be a lot harder to convince the FBI to take down some random criminal that wasn't worthy of making Red's list.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I assume Red wants to take him down because Berlin wants to take him down? He's working towards bringing someone down (thus enlisting the help of FBI) and for his list, Berlin should be there. Also like you said (and I just assume this), the FBI would help take him down. Makes the job easier for him.
Yeah I totally agree with this part. I just mean, if the whole list is about Berlin and getting things from the people on the list to find Berlin than why bother putting him on the list. For one thing, if Red's really using this list as his way of destroying the guy destroying him - only Berlin - then why not leave Berlin off the list. If Berlin's not on the list at all then Red's real motives are hidden. And clearly he does want to hide his motives from the FBI.

I just can't see that being the case. I can see it being the case in the short term. But I'm not entirely sure Berlin is Red's 'Red John' is you will. His be all end all. Otherwise I don't think we would have had the finale that we had. On a larger scope I imagine there are several Berlin-like figures on the list. Maybe a Top 10. These are Red's true targets. Even if Berlin's the only one on the list so far that Red was really after - and the others were a means to an end - it doesn't mean that there aren't other criminals that Red has issue with.

And if we want to play this by the numbers, if they set the show up for an 7 or 8 season run that would give us a top blacklist name to chase every season being
that Berlin is #8.

Plus there's the fact that Red still doesn't know Berlin's motivation for trying to destroy Red's empire.

I think it's easy to assume the entire list is about Berlin right now because A) Part of the list and one reason Red created it was to take down Berlin - True and B) He was basically the big bad of season one and his story continues into season 2 meaning he's the guy we're all focusing on now.

But all I'm saying is there's a lot of levels to Red. I don't think there's any one name on the list that is "the reason" for the list.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

It will be interesting to see how everyone else on the list fits into Red's life.