Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2021, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

8x17: "IVAN STEPANOV" Episode Discussion Thread (05/14/2021 @ 8PM)

8x17 | Ivan Stepanov
E P I S O D E DISCUSSION T H R E A D

episode synopsis
Red tries desperately to rescue an old friend at all costs, while Liz and Townsend conduct an interrogation.

“The Blacklist” is starring James Spader (Raymond ‘Red’ Reddington), Megan Boone (Elizabeth Keen), Diego Klattenhoff (Donald Ressler), Hisham Tawfiq (Dembe Zuma), Amir Arison (Aram Mojtabai) and Harry Lennix (Harold Cooper).
Old 05-14-2021, 07:05 PM
Elite Fan

Was I the only one screaming for Townsend to kill Liz? He can kill the task force too.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

This was such a great episode! I am beginning to believe more and more than Stepanov told Townsend that Liz is N13!

And call me crazy but Stepanov said that he waited 35 years to meet Liz.. what if he is her father?! I know crazy right.. but I just got that feeling..

So we now know that Stepanov made Red who he is. I want to know more about that!
Old 05-15-2021, 04:51 AM
Part-Time Fan

I love it, love it- LOVE IT! It was so exciting the whole time. My heart is still beating:-D It´s the first episode this season I really enjoyed.

@Miranda I thought that too, about stepanov. But my first thought was that stapanov is Katharina Rostova :-D For sure he is someone close. Townsend said he wants to have Red and Liz together and alive- so that Red can see her die after Townsend had to see how his family died. So I thought he may be told Stepanov that Red is her "father/mother" and that's why she has to die.

No matter, I so loved this episode. Even how they worked out the relationship between Red and Liz, it was authentic and not too close after everything. But still, we got nothing but assumptions.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:17 AM
Elite Fan

Easter, you thought Stepanov was Katarina? I read some tumblr posts saying that but I thought they were joking.

Kris I too went down the Redarina rabbit hole again with all the old friendships and the 35 year reference. But I’m leaving it alone because it just better not be true.

But for the life of me I can’t figure out what is true. We have Ilya who red played with as a child. And we have Ivan his oldest friend. But is Ivan his oldest friend after he became red???

I didn’t dislike the episode but I don’t think I absolutely loved it either. I think I just hate Liz so much now that I can’t enjoy any scenes with her in them.

I did like Aram reminding the task force that red turned in 150’blacklisters and maybe they shouldn’t be doing what they are doing. I don’t know if that made up for the croissant but at least he said that.

I totally agree with Aram. Maybe this wishy washiness should have come in S1 or 2. But after 8 years they should have some form of trust in red. I just don’t see it being like this. I think he has proved himself to at least never hurt them and never jeopardize them. And to usually be right about what they should do.

I loved at the end when he told them that he didn’t lie to them. He told them they should stand down and they didn’t and now they’ve created a mess. I’m all with you red.

Prya is my new favorite. I will replace Liz with her. Well I will replace Liz with anyone. But I like how Prya kept helping red, stole from Townsend and wouldn’t let red pay her. He needs people like her in his life. She just met him and profiled him better than the task force.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:58 AM
Part-Time Fan

Fangirl, yeah, I thought because someone who is touched emotionally that much must be someone very close. And he "waited 35 years to meet her" AND calling her Mahsa....We have DNA-proof that the real Raymond Reddington is her father, so how could it be a Russian now? But we know that her mother was Russian so I thought maybe it´s her... (But yeah, I hope not :-D)

I am done with that generally Liz-hate... I mean what the hell, just tell her the truth! Now history repeats itself... the bounty is on her head like it was on the head of her mother. Could have been prevented with a little bit of truth-telling. Sure, she is partly responsible, but he let her run to her doom without even knowing. Now she is on the run without knowing why. Please don´t kill her mother and give her nothing but telling her to stand down and don´t ask why.

And I am done with the back and forth of the task force... one day Red, one day Liz, one day none of them. They take advantage of Red or Liz if they need and the next second they wanna take them down...
Old 05-15-2021, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sooo, I really enjoyed this episode for a change I have to say.

You know what? I didn't expect anything else but Red coming for Liz rescue again. And did you see her face when Priya told her what Red told her? Somebody was surprised there and really afraid when Townsend showed up right afterwards. I really enjoyed that.

Stepanov, who could he be... What if he was Katarina's brother or something. We don't know what Katarina's maiden name was, do we? Or her mother's to be more specific.

I was really wondering why Townsend wanted Liz and Red in the same room to torture her in front of Red. I doubt that it has anything to do with Liz being N-13 but more with Red's relationship to her. Or maybe there is none and Stepanov just knows how important Liz is to him? That could be all of it as well.

Priya, I love her sooo much and she needs to stay (and won't, I'm sure...) Like you said Marilyn, she profiled him perfectly in just a few seconds, with just two sentences.

And yes, it's been about time Red told them that they were wrong there. And his speech towards Park, wow, that was... Wow. I was a bit surprised about this one.

Aram can never do good on that croissant scene. Sorry, no chance.

Redarina Nope. And also not Steparine. Nope.

I'm confused about all these friendships as well... Wasn't Ilya Katarina's childhood friend? Was Red as well?
Old 05-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Yep this was a good eppy

I also thought Stepanov was Liz's father when he mentioned the 35 years....

I'm still sticking with Liz being N-13...

I hope we see Priya again , a good addition to Red's team..

I loved the speech Red gave to the FBI regarding lying to him, I thought yes Red!

Glad we finally know that Stepanov was who made Red..
Old 05-16-2021, 05:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really love Priya as well! I really hope Red is going to keep her around. She is great addition to his team.

I am glad I am not alone in my thoughts about Liz being N-13 and Stepanov maybe being her father. Or I also see something in what you said Kris, that Stepanov could be Katarina's brother and therefore Liz's uncle. That would also explain a lot.

But again an episode with more questions than answers.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:48 AM
Elite Fan

I think all these friendships are just to string us along on the Redarina theory. But yes Ilya was Katarinas childhood friend. But he was also Reds. I think it was the park bench scene where they talk about playing with trucks (or something) as children. Now I’m going to be going on a mad search to find the scene. Lol! I don’t remember this show like I used to.

I like the thought of Ivan being a brother or something. I gotta admit I didn’t think of that. But didn’t they say he was Katarinas handler? I thought Liz said that when she questioned him and I wondered how I missed that.

I just want reds Christmas Eve story to be true. And now I’m wondering how it can be with all these old long term friendships out there. But maybe Ivan helped him become Red when he changed his identity. And somehow they double crossed Katarina at the time?? I honseohave no idea anymore.

Kris I loved the look on Lizs face to when Priya told her Red was trying to save her again. She screws up and he has to save her. But I loved it. I have no idea how Liz is feeling towards red now. Hey at least they were in the same truck for a minute! Wow. Miracle of miracles. And yes Easter, I think it was good the way they played that scene.

The team. I am so tired of them. Can they just be competent agents again? Liz is crossing lines. They should want to save her before it’s too late. Red is the same criminal and traitor he’s always been since the beginning of the show. Why lose your mind about it now?

I am not sure who is N13. But I am positive it’s not Red. And probably not Liz. I do think Liz has the “key” to the archive probably in the scar or something.

And you know what I’m sick of. Every secret reveal being whispered in Someone’s ear so we can’t hear it. Just stop it already.

Last edited by Fangirl49; 05-16-2021 at 06:57 AM
Old 05-16-2021, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Marilyn, I know what scene you're talking about It was when Ilya was first introduced, right? I loved that moment and you're right.

You know, Red couldn't have been close to both, Ilya and Ivan as himself and Red, could he? Does Ilya know who Red really is? I forgot about that, too

Ivan was Katarina's handler? Now I have missed that as well. Oh God, I really should re-watch the whole show because I fear otherwise I'll never get it all.

I still don't believe that Red betrayed Katarina. I really don't.

I'm all with you about the whispered secrets I can't have it anymore. They have played it so many times now.

Red no being N-13, I'm all in. Same about Liz not being it!
Old 05-16-2021, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

It's so confusing now with who knows/related to
Old 05-16-2021, 05:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's at the point now that when we finally get all of the answers we won't care and will have forgotten the questions!
Old 05-17-2021, 02:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

exactly..
Old 05-17-2021, 06:07 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
It's at the point now that when we finally get all of the answers we won't care and will have forgotten the questions!
Yep. Totally agree. All I want is for Liz to die and I don’t care who Red is.

I really wish/ hope I can get back into the mythology of the show. And I wish I could enjoy “Liz” like I used to. I hate the direction the show has gone in and I hope it can be redeemed for me.

All I want is to enjoy watching Red and Liz again.