Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 AM
Elite Fan

"Like Father, like Daughter" {Episode 4x04: October 16th, 2014} Episode Discussion

4x04: Like Father, Like Daughter
October 16th, 2014 @ 9:00 p.m. Eastern

Episode Description
Fitz asks Olivia to shut down a situation that could destroy the Grant family’s reputation. Meanwhile, Rowan calls on an old friend to do his dirty work.

PROMOS!

Last edited by helpmenow; 10-15-2014 at 05:52 PM
Old 10-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Supreme Fan

tftnt! Can't wait to see what happens next!
It was a Perfect Illusion
Old 10-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Elite Fan

It´s Scandal day!!!

So excited for tonight´s episode!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

Well first off Fitz makes my skin crawl, everything going on with his daughter and he tries to use the moment to once again push himself on Liv and cop a feel. This episode just reminded me why he makes me ill but the main reason I'm posting, OMG that ending! I was actually suprised (even though this is the same thing that happened to Huck when Fitz was shot) that Rowan and that coward Tom (way to ruin a character) framed Jake but at the same time, how dumb, insecure, and jealous does Fitz have to be to think his friend would murder his son even though Rowan (a guy that has shown and said how much he hates him) is right in front of him and he sends him in to question Tom? This episode is just another thing confiming that Fitz is so easily manipulated and is everyone's puppet, that's why some are fine with him being president. At the end of the day, he does what they want like a trained puppy. I also found it contrieved how Liv and Fitz (called it that FItz wouldn't listen to him cause he was b*tchy about learning Liv left with Jake) wouldn't listen to Jake. The only positive about this, they are setting up that Rowan is the one set up to be murdered when the truth comes out and Jake will be the avenged hero but I hope this doesn't last long. Jake getting framed for this and how stupid Fitz is to buy it really pisses me off, I bet he easily believed it cause he's jealous. Again, as far back as he and Jake go why would he want to murder his son? He's a dumbass. I'm glad it looks like next week Liv is looking for him and I bet she won't believe any of this, she confronts Rowan. Liv knows Jake so I bet she will see through this, find him, and clear his name.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Supreme Fan

I thought that I would finally enjoy a Fitz episode since early Season 2 with this one, but nothing from this was enjoyable, IMO. He may have been right that Mellie hasn't been the greatest parent since the death, but she sure hell showed a lot more parenting with Karen tonight than he did. He just continues to mope that Olivia isn't/wasn't there for him. Loved Mellie telling Fitz that Karen is just like him with sex tapes as she walked out the door!

Fitz bringing in Rowan at the end was just dumb. It seems like he had his mind made up that Jake did it and just wanted someone to say that. So why not bring in someone who hates him just as much as he does for that

Overall, though, I did enjoy the episode! I hope Jake gets out and I like that (judging from the PROMOS!) that Olivia seems worried for him!
It was a Perfect Illusion
Old 10-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Fitz bringing in Rowan at the end was just dumb. It seems like he had his mind made up that Jake did it and just wanted someone to say that. So why not bring in someone who hates him just as much as he does for that

That's not surprising, considering he already has a reason to dislike Jake. And also don't forget that Fitz believes that Olivia's mom was responsible for his son's death . . . and that Rowan took care of her on his behalf.

Speaking of Olivia and Fitz, I was very turned off at Fitz's reaction to her vacation and the fact that she spent it with Jake. He seemed to have this idea that she belongs to him. What's even more disturbing is that he had reacted in a similar manner when he thought that Mellie was cheating on him. He comes off as rather spoiled and indulgent.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Cardcaptor Queen

^^^Fitz thinks of Liv and Mellie as HIS PROPERTY, he's a huge hypocrite. I knew Fitz would react that way when Liv told him she went with Jake (but it's funny he never knew, he didn't notice Jake was also gone for two months too?) and he went even more neclear when he found out Andrew and Mellie were sleeping together. I just find Olitz scenes to be slimy, yesterday's was right in that alley since he is trying to have a quickie with Liv while his grieving and obviously disturbed daughter is right down the hall. Just RANK but yeah, Fitz has always acted like a spoiled whiny child. I usually just tune him out like Charlie Brown (same with Olitz scenes since they have the same scene over and over) waaa waaa waaa wa. Of course Fitz showed again how childish he is for running with the idea that Jake killed his son when it makes no sense whatsoever. It was mostly based on jealousy and whatever he tries to do to Jake I guarantee underneath it all it will really be about him and Liv's relationship, not his son (who he seems to never care about at all, like I said he cared more about touching up Liv) Jake doing that is stupid cause he has everything to lose, Fitz is still too dumb to realize Rowan had everything to gain from it. He is an idiot for calling Rowan in but like I've said, Fitz is easily manipulated and a puppet. Rowan can easily control Fitz, wheras Jake is the only one that sees through him and had the balls to stand up to him many times. Jake isn't scared of Rowan and I love that.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

I loved the episode!!! Seem my Scandal is back at least for this episode!!

Olivia was my Olivia again. A strong woman and a perfect fixer. She did great taking care of Karen, dealing with the boy´s parents. And the scene with Fitz Seems Fitz superpowers are back

About Fitz it was obvious that he was going to frame Jake the moment Olivia told him the truth. TTom was an idiot!! And I can´t wait for Rowan to die.

Love Huck and Quinn!!! And Cyrus telling Abby she will never be Olivia.

And love the convo between Mellie and Fitz!!! And Mellie and her daughter!!! Mellie being a mother
Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Love Huck and Quinn!!! And Cyrus telling Abby she will never be Olivia.
Cyrus is right. Abby will never be Olivia. But she can be Abby, once she gets over her anger. There's nothing wrong with that, despite what Cyrus seems to think.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I enjoyed the episode a bit.

Karen going off the deep end after her brother died was very realistic.
The first thing I noticed when I saw Karen was that she looked very different. I was correct, past Karen was portrayed by: Madeline Carroll and new Karen: Lacey Fleming... so good I was right about how different she looked. lol

I love Mellie being upset with Olivia being at her house was great! I loved that she confronting Fitz... which lead to Fitz long rant about how Mellie was there, yes he's right but he wasn't as well. Even during Season 3, Mellie seemed like the better parent than Fiz ever was. I like the Karen/Mellie relationship cause it was already established that Karen was always closer to her Mother.

I liked that after that showdown with Fitz, Mellie just told him that Karen takes after her Father. lol That's how you close that conversation.

The convo between Mellie and Karen was a powerful one, it was nice to see Mellie being a parent and understand although not agreeing why her daughter made that sex tape. She understands what the grieving is doing to her.

Olivia/Fitz... man I use to ship them so much during Season 1. Sad to know that I don't think I do anymore. It was a nice scene in the office but I just don't like them the way I use to. Fitz just worry about your daughter please.
Fitz getting upset that Olivia was with Jake... I was just like. okay....

The ending of the episode, man here goes another mistake Fitz is making.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM
New Fan

I don't know why so many people on this board (and other forums) hate the relationship between Fitz and Olivia. This couple seem to come in for so much criticism. Fitz makes some one's skin crawl, Fitz makes them feel ill. He is weak - Fitz has presidential balls by the way - Seriously. I am wondering if they get so much criticism because they are an interracial couple and this programme is breaking many boundaries. It could also be because Fitz is married , this is not news, many many programmes have couples who are in love with someone else who is not their partner. I love scandal and it hurts me to read negative stuff. I go on fan sites to read "fan" stuff. Sure it can be critical of scenes etc. but the hostility is too much against Liv and Fitz. Fitz is not weak. He is torn in so many different directions. and that is DRAMA.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Extreme Fan

He might be president but he's still weak. He's a petulant child that always throws his toys when he doesn't get what he wants. My biggest problem with him is that he's allowed several people run his life: his father, Mellie, Cyrus AND Olivia. He's too comfortable being cushioned by last three. Cyrus makes him seem like a competent president, Mellie makes him look good in the public's eye when she plays the doting non-grieving first lady and Olivia strokes his ego, she's a strong woman but he enjoys breaking down her sexual barriers that she put up because being with him while he's married isn't the life she wants for herself. He's a big talker when it come to Olivia and flashing this supposed good life they could have together but doesn't do anything about making it happen. He once threatened to divorce Mellie but never followed through. Mellie is a terrible person and she's done some despicable things over the last three seasons but I admire her for always taking charge of her life even if it's led to failure, I admire her fighting spirit which has been temporarily extinguished with Gerry's death. I hope she will at least rise from this slump as the season continues.

As for Olitz, being an inter-racial couple has nothing to do with why I loathe Fitz as a character. I used to like the idea of Jake with Olivia but I hate that Olitz will never truly allow Olivia to move on with her life. Edison was 100x a better man than Fitz and they got rid of him for another pointless round of Olitz that lead nowhere. I ship Ichabbie, Bamon and I barely watch their respective shows but I know they have amazing chemistry, I loved Jack and Allison from Eureka and was in love with a white man myself so inter-racial relationships don't bother me.

Fitz doesn't put anyone ahead of himself, not even Olivia. It's always about what he wants and he wants to have his cake and eat it too. I'm not a fan of divorce but I will be the first person to celebrate if he'd divorce Mellie (I prefer she serve him the papers), at least then I might dislike him less.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elles44 (View Post)
I don't know why so many people on this board (and other forums) hate the relationship between Fitz and Olivia. This couple seem to come in for so much criticism. Fitz makes some one's skin crawl, Fitz makes them feel ill. He is weak - Fitz has presidential balls by the way - Seriously. I am wondering if they get so much criticism because they are an interracial couple and this programme is breaking many boundaries. It could also be because Fitz is married , this is not news, many many programmes have couples who are in love with someone else who is not their partner. I love scandal and it hurts me to read negative stuff. I go on fan sites to read "fan" stuff. Sure it can be critical of scenes etc. but the hostility is too much against Liv and Fitz. Fitz is not weak. He is torn in so many different directions. and that is DRAMA.
I love Olitz!!! And I love Fitz too. Tony Goldwyn makes a great performance. Fitz is not weak, Fitz is a puppet. As Rowan said Fitz is a boy. A boy who needs to grow up. And Olivia makes him a better man.

Fitz is like Olivia. Great in his/her proffesional life but his/her private life is a mess.

I agree Fitz wants to own Olivia. But Olivia would want the same if it wasn´t for the complicated situation. Is what powerful, obsessive and true love stories have. Is what make us fell in love with them in season 1. The problem with them is that the season even it has evolved like in season 2, is back to the same place.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:13 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmaluki (View Post)

As for Olitz, being an inter-racial couple has nothing to do with why I loathe Fitz as a character. I used to like the idea of Jake with Olivia but I hate that Olitz will never truly allow Olivia to move on with her life. Edison was 100x a better man than Fitz and they got rid of him for another pointless round of Olitz that lead nowhere. I ship Ichabbie, Bamon and I barely watch their respective shows but I know they have amazing chemistry, I loved Jack and Allison from Eureka and was in love with a white man myself so inter-racial relationships don't bother me.

Fitz doesn't put anyone ahead of himself, not even Olivia. It's always about what he wants and he wants to have his cake and eat it too. I'm not a fan of divorce but I will be the first person to celebrate if he'd divorce Mellie (I prefer she serve him the papers), at least then I might dislike him less.
1) I think the interracial factor is definitely why Olivia and Fitz get so much negativity. It's also why so many cheer on Jake treating Olivia like **** while nitpicking at Fitz. It's also why Mellie is viewed as an entitled victim. It's amazing and quite telling how the same fan who criticizes Fitz for speaking obnoxiously to Mellie will cheer on Jake doing worse to Olivia. The racial factor is the elephant in the room that no one wants to admit to. But it is there. It is undeniable. It is also why the same fan who criticizes the incredibly talented Joe Morton and his portrayal of Eli Pope will cheer on Cyrus's/Jeff Perry's morally bankrupt and manipulative character. Hmmmm. I wonder what the difference is.

I have been watching Scandal since the very beginning, so I know that the elephant is there but many like to pretend it isn't. And while everyone pretends, Shonda and her goons continue catering to our baser instincts. Have you not noticed how crass the language has become on the show? The lowest common denominator. This is what makes my skin crawl.

2) Let's be clear. Edison was sent packing not for "another round of Olitz." He was sent packing for a round of Olivia/Jake. He was sent packing because Shonda wanted to bring on her pet Scott Foley. That is a fact admitted to in an interview. Please remember that the moment the arc with Edison/Norm Lewis ended, Scott Foley/Jake was brought on with much fanfare that Norm Lewis was not given. As a matter of fact, when Norm's character was present, Shonda would join in the ribbing that fans gave him. However, if fans make fun of Foley, Shonda comes to his defense or blocks them. Pray tell, how many shirtless scenes do you recall seeing with Edison, even though Norm Lewis has a fabulous physique? So let's be very clear. Edison was sent packing because Shonda wanted to make space to bring on her pet crush, Scott Foley. His leaving had nothing to do with Fitz, Olivia or the couple.

3) Of course Mellie is going to be the one to initiate a divorce. That is a given. The actress who plays her is another Shonda pet. Like Foley, she's worked with Shonda before - on Grey's and Private Practice. I think we all know you will get your wish. Mellie/BY is Shonda's pet project so she will get it all. Notice how we don't really get Olivia's POV anymore. Notice how that has been muted. There are never any follow up scenes to flesh out and explain Olivia's emotional state like there are for Mellie.

Which leads me to the following:

4) What was the point of showing Olivia blowing up at the blackmailing parents if we were not going to be given insight into what triggered it. What happened to follow up scenes? Did the parents' comments trigger a past memory? Did their words remind her that tape with Fitz? Did their words remind her of comments her father has made? Did it make her feel like less than what she is? We will never know. But I bet you Shonda will make a point to show Olivia searching for Jake, even though we didn't get to see Olivia make the search for her mother and Harrison a priority. It is all about the pet factor.

5) I have no doubt that Jake and Mellie will be left standing tall at the end of the series because they are Shonda's pets. And that sentiment is projected in the ghastly writing for Olivia, Fitz, and Olivia-Fitz. They must remain stagnant and childish in order for the other two to appear entitled and rootable.

This show is incredibly predictable. You already know how the series is going to end because Shonda makes it clear where her priority stands. Certain characters will get follow up scenes; others will not. Certain characters will receive character development; others will not.

Last edited by Jumpshot; 10-18-2014 at 04:49 PM
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by elles44 (View Post)

I wholeheartely disagree with you 100% on people disliking Olivia and Fitz because they were an interracial pairing. If that was the case, then Edison and Olivia would be the pairing everybody rooted for and they were the least liked of all the Olivia pairings.

Also from what I've seen some people who do not like Olivia with Fitz, likes Olivia with Jake... and what is the color of Jake skin again? uhhh... the same as Fitz.
So no need to put racial tones into something that it's not.

I'm not sure if you were watching Scandal since Season 1? but I'll fill you in on how it was.... basically to anyone who wasn't here since the beginning. During Season 1 the series was driven by the chemistry between Olivia and Fitz, the ratings started out with the little bit of Gladiators and became a Social Media hit, the cast was tweeting out everyday, and it was something new. Little by little everybody kept telling people about Scandal and the popular Olitz relationship. During Season 1 Mellie also wasn't a liked character at all.
The Trail episode with the Olitz sex scene was so talked about, and it was viewed as the sexiest/hottest scene on television by I think EW? or another very popular site and then Scandal got picked up for Season 2.

During Season 2, Olitz was still the biggest pair that everyone rooted for even though we probably shouldn't. People started little by little liking Mellie and Jake was hated instantly cause people was too much for Olivia & Fitz together and just wasn't feeling Jake at all.

Season 3 is the seasons where the Olitz hate started.
So if it had anything to do with interracial, they wouldn't have been popular to begin with... they are actually still popular.

Why people feel Fitz is weak, because he never really owns the Country the way he's suppose to and both of the times he won the election was a fluke. The first time, Olivia and company helped with an election-rigging. Re-election it was because his son died. So really he really shouldn't have been President. When Liv is around, he doesn't care about anybody. I guess you can say he's really in love but the for me, the first time Fitz really got on my nerve was the Season 3 finale when Liv leaves him and he cries on Mellie lap? Like really, I thought you wanted the divorce? and then the Season 4 finale, he can't find Liv and he asks Mellie about Olivia and I'm like... "um didn't your son just die?"
Also Fitz being in love with Olivia but being upset when Mellie has an affair.
Stuff like that is the reason why Fitz isn't loved.

Me during Season 1-2, Olitz was my favorite pairing easily on Scandal. I did the OP on the Couples Board, I chatted about them all the time but I just got tired of it and I just became more of a Mellie fan and it was just all too much for me. the back and forth just isn't working for me.
So I think it's unfair to get upset at fans because they don't ship Olitz. Everybody won't ship the same couples, we all won't like the same characters. If some people doesn't like Olitz because Fitz is married, that's there right. How is one bad for not shipping a woman with a married man who also runs the Country? or probably people just have their other reasons for not liking Olitz, on television, movies etc everybody won't ship the same pairing and a pairing you loved will get bashed or disliked by someone.

For me, I felt the writing for Olitz hasn't been as strong as it's been in the first few seasons and although I don't hate Olitz, I really don't ship them the way I use to, but I do realize that Olivia and Fitz are the love of each other's life, like I remember in episode 1x06 where Fitz ask Olivia why he married Mellie, why he didn't wait for her. I think the love they share with each other is the biggest love they both felt for another person. When they are with one another, nothing else matters. The rational part goes away which is why at this moment I'd respect it more if they were to just say to hell with everything in just be together.

When it comes to Olivia/Jake, I like them but I'm not sure if I ship them all the way as well, but I do enjoy them more and more each episode.

I think Olivia should just be single for a second.

Last edited by eternalfate; 10-18-2014 at 10:51 PM