Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.6 "Love & Death" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
Love & Death
Season 4 Episode 6

Air Date CW: Friday, March 23 at 9/8c

MARY GRAPPLES WITH THE AFTERMATH OF HER DECISION
Mary must deal with the political repercussions of a potential marriage to Lord Darnley and King Charles disappears, leaving Catherine to pick up the pieces. Elizabeth comes to Gideon’s aid, while Claude receives an interesting proposition.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-30-2017 at 07:13 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

I saw it already...but I'm just gonna wait until everyone sees it.

Byt I will say one thing...
Spoiler:
Old 03-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

That was one of the good things in the episode. There are many more I enjoyed, but there's one major drawback I'm really pissed off about and that is

Spoiler:
Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

Spoiler:
Old 03-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

I always love the episodes but I REALLY REALLY loved this one. Megan hit another one out of the park.

Spoiler:
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Spoiler:

Luc looks believably like his father!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Oh, how I love this crazy little show. This episode... SO GOOD!!!! Here are a few of my random thoughts.

France
- Honestly, I was really surprised that Leith actually agreed to try the open marriage arrangement, when he seemed so against it in the last episode. I guess he was willing to do anything to be with the woman he loved.
- Catherine's advice to Claude was very wise (referring to Cathry ). It was so clear that it wasn't going to work out.
- My heart broke when Leith walked by and overheard Claude with Luc, about to "produce and heir." In that moment, he saw that their relationship could be about more than having an heir, that Claude could actually fall in love with Luc. Leith is a selfless person, but of course he could not stay in this situation. When it looked like he was going to leave Luc to die in the woods, I was screaming, "LEITH, NOOOOO!!!!!" He is one of the few (maybe the only) innocent, decent, and honest characters left on this show. I didn't want him to get pulled into the darkness. And Leith didn't want that, either. That's why he saved Luc, and that's why he had to make that deal with Narcisse and leave French court. Leave Claude. Part of me is SO proud of Leith, but I'm also BEYOND devastated because... CLEITH. Oh GOD, their final scene. What do you guys think... will we see these two reunited in Tuscany in one year?
- Sidenote: I'm actually really happy that Leith got the land back that Francis gave him!
- Catherine SLAYED as usual. I don't know, but Megan looked EXTRA beautiful in this episode. And I loved Catherine's plan to fool Leeza and go get Charles' "signature" from him while he was "on retreat" at a monastery. CLASSIC. If only it had worked. They way she walked triumphantly back into the the throne room with the "signature," and the way her face fell when Narcisse told her that Leeza knew the truth. Megan is so brilliant.
- Narcisse entertaining Leeza while Catherine was away made me SO uncomfortable. *shudders* And the reign writers didn't help with their tweets about making these two a couple.
- It was a small Matherine nugget, but I loved it. Catherine ~ "What? Is Mary all right?" Then Leeza will only listen to Narcisse because Catherine is not "someone with an actual position at court."
- "Spain must take control." UGH, LEEZA! Just crawl back to Spain and die already! What a royal pain.

Scotland
- Right now, I'm desperately trying not to hate myself for liking Mary/Darnley. Their chemistry is on fire, and Will and Ade are making me believe that there actually could be a "world of feelings" between them. What can I say? They are exciting to watch, and I love the "us against the world" vibe between them. That last scene in the hallway. But I also can't get the history out of my head. We all know how this ends... and Keira's return could not have been more ominous.
- DISCLAIMER: No matter how I feel about Mary/Darnley, Frary was, is, and ALWAYS will be my ultimate OTP. I truly believed Mary when she told Francis, "I will never, I will never love anyone the way I love YOU." I still do. Francis was the love of her life, and I will FIGHT anyone who says otherwise. Oh, and Tobelaide chemistry still tops EVERYTHING.
- I just KNEW the Francis was the reason that Mary was pushing Darnley away. Oh, good LORD the feels. When Darnley said, "I want you. Now and forever," and Mary froze - my mind immediately went to the last line of Francis' last letter to her (my signature). "I love you, Mary Stuart. FOREVER." I know that's what was on Mary's mind, too. And then, of course, the scene that Lindsay quoted before.

Quote:
I had a husband. And I loved him and he was murdered in cold blood before my eyes. So you're right. I have been pushing you away. And I didn't understand why until I was riding to the house where you were hidden, and I didn't know if you were dead or not. And I can't go through that again. I can't allow myself to fall for you.
- That exchange between James and Greer at the engagement party got me so excited! They are SO going to happen. "I don't spend time with a beautiful woman out of pity. For the record, I think Castleroy was a fool to leave you."
- I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not that we didn't see Mary dance with Darnley in this episode. Will is actually a classically trained ballet dancer! If we do see them dance at their wedding, I'm sure it will be great, but... nothing will ever be better than Frary dances for me.

England
- Oh, no they couldn't save poor Agatha. Poor Gideon. That horrible doctor. I really loved how Elizabeth fought for Gideon and his daughter. It was so sweet that she let him have one last carefree night with Agatha before telling him the news. She was a true friend to him, and I'm really enjoying their relationship right now.
- Elizabeth threatening that ambassador was pretty amusing. "Darnley cannot marry my cousin. If he does, I will hold you personally responsible. So fix it." YIKES. Good luck with that, dude.

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-24-2017 at 08:32 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Oh, how I love this crazy little show. This episode... SO GOOD!!!! Here are a few of my random thoughts.

France
- Honestly, I was really surprised that Leith actually agreed to try the open marriage arrangement, when he seemed so against it in the last episode. I guess he was willing to do anything to be with the woman he loved.
- Catherine's advice to Claude was very wise (referring to Cathry ). It was so clear that it wasn't going to work out.
- My heart broke when Leith walked by and overheard Claude with Luc, about to "produce and heir." In that moment, he saw that their relationship could be about more than having an heir, that Claude could actually fall in love with Luc. Leith is a selfless person, but of course he could not stay in this situation. When it looked like he was going to leave Luc to die in the woods, I was screaming, "LEITH, NOOOOO!!!!!" He is one of the few (maybe the only) innocent, decent, and honest characters left on this show. I didn't want him to get pulled into the darkness. And Leith didn't want that, either. That's why he saved Luc, and that's why he had to make that deal with Narcisse and leave French court. Leave Claude. Part of me is SO proud of Leith, but I'm also BEYOND devastated because... CLEITH. Oh GOD, their final scene. What do you guys think... will we see these two reunited in Tuscany in one year?
- Sidenote: I'm actually really happy that Leith got the land back that Francis gave him!
- Catherine SLAYED as usual. I don't know, but Megan looked EXTRA beautiful in this episode. And I loved Catherine's plan to fool Leeza and go get Charles' "signature" from him while he was "on retreat" at a monastery. CLASSIC. If only it had worked. They way she walked triumphantly back into the the throne room with the "signature," and the way her face fell when Narcisse told her that Leeza knew the truth. Megan is so brilliant.
- Narcisse entertaining Leeza while Catherine was away made me SO uncomfortable. *shudders* And the reign writers didn't help with their tweets about making these two a couple.
- It was a small Matherine nugget, but I loved it. Catherine ~ "What? Is Mary all right?" Then Leeza will only listen to Narcisse because Catherine is not "someone with an actual position at court."
- "Spain must take control." UGH, LEEZA! Just crawl back to Spain and die already! What a royal pain.

Scotland
- Right now, I'm desperately trying not to hate myself for liking Mary/Darnley. Their chemistry is on fire, and Will and Ade are making me believe that there actually could be a "world of feelings" between them. What can I say? They are exciting to watch, and I love the "us against the world" vibe between them. That last scene in the hallway. But I also can't get the history out of my head. We all know how this ends... and Keira's return could not have been more ominous.
- DISCLAIMER: No matter how I feel about Mary/Darnley, Frary was, is, and ALWAYS will be my ultimate OTP. I truly believed Mary when she told Francis, "I will never, I will never love anyone the way I love YOU." I still do. Francis was the love of her life, and I will FIGHT anyone who says otherwise. Oh, and Tobelaide chemistry still tops EVERYTHING.
- I just KNEW the Francis was the reason that Mary was pushing Darnley away. Oh, good LORD the feels. When Darnley said, "I want you. Now and forever," and Mary froze - my mind immediately went to the last line of Francis' last letter to her (my signature). "I love you, Mary Stuart. FOREVER." I know that's what was on Mary's mind, too. And then, of course, the scene that Lindsay quoted before.

- That exchange between James and Greer at the engagement party got me so excited! They are SO going to happen. "I don't spend time with a beautiful woman out of pity. For the record, I think Castleroy was a fool to leave you."
- I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not that we didn't see Mary dance with Darnley in this episode. Will is actually a classically trained ballet dancer! If we do see them dance at their wedding, I'm sure it will be great, but... nothing will ever be better than Frary dances for me.

England
- Oh, no they couldn't save poor Agatha. Poor Gideon. That horrible doctor. I really loved how Elizabeth fought for Gideon and his daughter. It was so sweet that she let him have one last carefree night with Agatha before telling him the news. She was a true friend to him, and I'm really enjoying their relationship right now.
- Elizabeth threatening that ambassador was pretty amusing. "Darnley cannot marry my cousin. If he does, I will hold you personally responsible. So fix it." YIKES. Good luck with that, dude.
I love your post, feel exactly the samw about M&f and M&d. They've managed an interesting and realistic love story. Lola is long forgotten. I miss matherine and english court is a mistake, we see over and over again that women shouldn't rule. At least show me beginnings of one of the greatest monarchs in history! They ruined Cleith. Do you think we'll ever see Leith again? I don't want to see the love story between claude and her husband, it's too early the circumstances were terrible as well.
annie1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Scotland
- Right now, I'm desperately trying not to hate myself for liking Mary/Darnley. Their chemistry is on fire, and Will and Ade are making me believe that there actually could be a "world of feelings" between them. What can I say? They are exciting to watch, and I love the "us against the world" vibe between them.
It really is all about the chemistry with these two. It's off the charts. I think their connection is the most surprising thing for me about S4. I wasn't sure how they were going to write him on Reign since Darnley historically is such a horrible man and I really am loving what they are doing with him so far.

They've found a great mix of vulnerable, has a heart ..looks like he truly cares for Mary...but is also a grade A arrogant, selfish jerk. I think you can easily see how this will eventually blow up in flames. That little line he had to Mary "I let you win for now...but once I'm king.." (or something along those lines.) I immediately was going ...oh here we go. As soon as the ring is on her finger she is so in for it with him.

But the heated attraction thing is a great angle and I'm glad they've gone this way with the story instead of just making him a horrible person. It's going to be a crazy ride but it's really fun at the moment.

Of course now that Keira is back(anyone else get the stalker vibes from her?) I'm sure their 3 minutes of sorta happiness are over.

Quote:
I just KNEW the Francis was the reason that Mary was pushing Darnley away. Oh, good LORD the feels. When Darnley said, "I want you. Now and forever," and Mary froze - my mind immediately went to the last line of Francis' last letter to her (my signature). "I love you, Mary Stuart. FOREVER." I know that's what was on Mary's mind, too. And then, of course, the scene that Lindsay quoted before.
Loved all of this so much, I am SO glad we finally got to see just how much Francis's death impacted Mary in a way that even she didn't understand at first. Grief is like that too, things trigger it and when Darnley said "forever" and she had a panic attack that was my first thought too. That's one of the last things Francis said to her before he died. And the scenes with Greer where she didn't understand why she was panicking, and then finally the last scene in the hallway where it all came out. One of my favorite scenes of the series. Really well done. All the feels for sure.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not that we didn't see Mary dance with Darnley in this episode. Will is actually a classically trained ballet dancer!
I hope we get to see it at some point, maybe the wedding? I would be shame not to since he has that background.

France
So agree that Catherine looked extra gorgeous. I loved that dress so much and her hair. She just looked so pretty. Her speech to Claude about Henry and how having to share the one you love with another poisons you We knew this open marriage situation was doomed from the beginning.

I'm glad Leith chose to save Luc in the end and then realized he had to go that no matter how much he loves Claude, the poisonous situation would turn him into a terrible person. I definitely think that when Reign is over ...these two will probably be the one couple standing in the end. She is so going to meet him at that vineyard a year from now

Quote:
It was a small Matherine nugget, but I loved it. Catherine ~ "What? Is Mary all right?"
This was great, Catherine was instantly worried about her and wanted to help ASAP. I did get quite the laugh out of Narcisse being all "Oh yeah what's best for Scotland is always best for France." say WHAT dude?

Leeza can go scratch as usual though I will say she doesn't annoy me as much as before. I don't know if I've just gotten used to her acting style of if she's calmed it down but as obnoxious as she is it..she didn't make me want to fwd her scenes like before.

England

The Agatha story seems off to me, I wonder why they are spending so much time on it since it doesn't really seem to mesh what's going on with the rest of the show. I guess maybe it's further bonding Gideon and Elizabeth. I still think we are going to see him back in Scotland sometime soon. It is really interesting that he has been able to bond with both Queens even with Elizabeth knowing that he loves Mary and with Mary knowing he's loyal to Elizabeth.

I hope Agatha doesn't die but I tend to think she will which will probably harden Gideon a lot.

Adelaide said it last night but she's right - Elizabeth is scary! Loved her going all Tudor Monarch on the lying doctor "TO THE TOWER!" Heck yeah, you don't defraud the Queen dude.

That poor Ambassador dude...he's probably going to be in the tower before it's all over too.
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Extreme Fan

As a die hard Frary/Francis shipper, I actually like Mary/Darnley but it's so obvious how bad this is going to end.

They have great chemistry but it's like these two get each other so riled up saying "we're gonna do this! No one can stop us!" and that's great to feel almost invincible but also very very dangerous.

With Mary and Francis when they were on the same page with each other there was this wave of calmness. I like that he could make Mary calm down and show that maybe they should look at things in a different light. He was almost like a mirror for her to self reflect on. And their love just felt so pure, honest and stemmed from childhood.

When Darnley said "forever" and Mary jumped, I got the feeling that she was thinking, "No, that spot is reserved for Francis." I believe she is once again, going to believe she "loves" these other men but in the end realize.. nope, it was only just Francis.

Those Cleith scenes were killing me! So obvious how much they love each other and their stuck in a no win situation. I feel Leith did the right thing and I'm glad he told her that he considered letting Luc die and that he hated who he was becoming. That his love for her is so strong that he'd considered letting a man die to have her.

I personally thought that Leith should go on a mission to find Charles and get him to annul her marriage.
I feel like Claude will see if she can fall in love with Luc and maybe for a time be happy, but in the end go look for Leith in Tuscany.

Any mention of Matherine and my heart leaps. To me, it's like there is three people in that relationship. Mary, Catherine and Francis, even though he's not there physically, it's the root of love and respect that Mary and Catherine have for each other.
A Hot Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:52 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
She is so going to meet him at that vineyard a year from now

But there has to be a time jump so I worry we're not going to hear about him again and see happy Claude with the rest of the family till the end.
Loving M&lord dunley, they are on fire hope it lasts a while

Last edited by annie1408; 03-25-2017 at 10:32 AM
Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Master Fan

I'm actually glad Cleith ended where it did. I would have been aick to see him stay and have their live turn sour and ugly and have everone be unhappy like Catherine/Henry/Diane. Plus I like Luc and I think Claude could be happy with him eventually if she lets Leith go.

I love that Mary had also invited Catherine to her engagement party. Too bad she couldn't make it because of Charles.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Lindsay, instead of quoting everything you just posted about Darnley and Mary/Darnley, I will just say I AGREE. Very well said. And yes... I did get some stalker vibes from Keira. She's seems like bad news.

Quote:
I definitely think that when Reign is over ...these two will probably be the one couple standing in the end. She is so going to meet him at that vineyard a year from now
If only... But like Amanda said, I'm sad to lose Cleith, but maybe it wasn't meant to last forever. I'm actually content with how they ended things. That final scene was so moving, and Jonathan KILLED it. I would actually be fine just knowing that Leith has found love and happiness out on his own (having risen in station like he deserved), and seeing Claude find happiness with Luc.

Quote:
This was great, Catherine was instantly worried about her and wanted to help ASAP. I did get quite the laugh out of Narcisse being all "Oh yeah what's best for Scotland is always best for France." say WHAT dude?
That whole scene was so amusing. Catherine knows Narcisse too well. I loved seeing Catcisse quietly conspiring to fool and distract Leeza. PLUS, Matherine. It really is a shame that Catherine was so caught up with the Charles situation that she couldn't attend Mary's engagement party.

Quote:
Leeza can go scratch as usual though I will say she doesn't annoy me as much as before. I don't know if I've just gotten used to her acting style of if she's calmed it down but as obnoxious as she is it..she didn't make me want to fwd her scenes like before.
Agreed. I didn't find her as obnoxious this episode. However, the art appreciation scene with Narcisse made me super uncomfortable. Was that subtle flirting?? JUST NO.

Quote:
The Agatha story seems off to me, I wonder why they are spending so much time on it since it doesn't really seem to mesh what's going on with the rest of the show. I guess maybe it's further bonding Gideon and Elizabeth. I still think we are going to see him back in Scotland sometime soon. It is really interesting that he has been able to bond with both Queens even with Elizabeth knowing that he loves Mary and with Mary knowing he's loyal to Elizabeth.

I hope Agatha doesn't die but I tend to think she will which will probably harden Gideon a lot.
I'm finding Gideon and Elizabeth's friendship really intriguing right now. I'm wondering if it will turn romantic????

Poor Agatha... I don't think she's going to make it, and the loss will definitely weigh on Gideon a lot.

Do you think Gideon will actually go back to Scotland? From the promo, it looks like England/Elizabeth is ready to invade Scotland. I wonder if Gideon will try to stop it.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Master Fan

Maybe Leeza just seemed less annoying because Megan is an amazing director.

Actually, as much as I hate ti say it...the couple left standing...I think it will be Catcisse.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

I loved this episode. Perfect chemistry. I don't know if Catnisse can be repaired. I'm sure they won't be a typical love story, more like a strong friendship with benefits. I love Mary romantic life, I'm looking forward to their wedding. Sad to see Leith go but he raised in station so I'm happy for him. I still hate the character of Charles even when he's not shown. Quite an accomplishment. I feel like they have no idea what to do with the french court. But it's strange that Agatha storyline was the only plot from the english throne.
Reply   Post New Thread