Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.5 "Highland Games" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
Highland Games
Season 4 Episode 5

Air Date CW: Friday, March 17 at 9/8c

LORD DARNLEY MUST PROVE HIMSELF TO MARY
In order to get Mary to agree to a marriage, Lord Darnley must demonstrate his loyalty when she voices her concerns about his true intentions. Catherine and Narcisse work to repair King Charles’ reputation after rumors spread about his strange behavior and threaten the throne.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-23-2017 at 07:59 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:25 AM
Master Fan

Wow. You got this one up early.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Things were a little slow on the board, so I figured I'd get a jump on things. I didn't want you to have to remind me again.

NGL, I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Darnley get his a** kicked by that Scottish Lord. Also looking forward to seeing Catcisse working together to help Charles.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 AM
Master Fan

Spoiler:
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Everyone!

Remember to vote in the Mary survivor that is topped and in the Frary Song survivor in the Frary thread. We need your votes!

Watched the episode live and it was SO GOOD!!!

France

- Cleith!!!! MY PRECIOUS BABIES!!! Their reunion was so beautiful! But I knew it couldn't last.
- Luc is such a decent man! Almost too good to be true. Not only did he release Leith right away and tell Claude that he was alive, he even agreed to lie to secure an annulment. And when that didn't work out, he even suggested an open marriage! You have to feel bad for the guy... who would want to spend their life married to someone who is in love with another?
- I know this is obvious, but Leith seemed so hurt. OF COURSE he wouldn't agree to the open marriage. He doesn't want to share the woman he loves.
- I felt the Catcisse chemistry back in full force when Catherine confronted him about Cleith. I just love their bickering. Catherine threatening to slit his throat. I love this woman. SO MUCH. And then they put all of that aside in order to work together to fix Charles' reputation. It was great to watch.
- I couldn't help but feel sorry for Charles when the crowd turned against him. And then we learn exactly what's been happening with him.... hunting small animals and eating them raw in some awful attempt to relive how he survived the Red Knights. And poor Catherine at the end! Lying on the ground in the woods. We all know she will get up and be stronger than ever, but my heart broke for her.

Scotland

- I was so happy when I saw Castleroy and baby Rose! I was a little shocked when Castleroy admitted to Greer that he was in love with another woman, but... I'm actually happy that he's found someone who loves him the way he deserves. And Greer was very selfless to release him. tbh... all I was thinking was that Greer was free to be with James now. Can't wait to see how things develop.
- I still have no idea what is going on with Emily Knox. Should we trust her? She is the one who came to James in the end... Is she spying, too? She seems so sweet. Do you think James is starting to have real feelings for her? Or does he just feel guilty and not want to put her danger?
- Mary sure can make a powerful speech, huh?
- Mary and Greer talking about Francis and his integrity. Even when they disagreed, Mary always knew that Francis was trying to do the right thing. It was a short conversation, but it did my Frary heart good. The fact that she is comparing Darnley to Francis shows me that Francis will NEVER be replaced in her heart.
- I still don't fully trust Darnley, but I can see his bond with Mary growing and I'm loving it! I admire that he wants to overcome the shadow of his father's betrayal and cowardice, and Mary understands that, too. I love that she was willing to break the rules to help him win that boxing match. She chose him for HIM, not because he is some prize pony. So sweet! I'm not quite ready to come out and say that I "ship it," but I want them to have a chance. The chemistry is undeniable. I love the passion and energy in their arguments, and THAT KISS! I'm excited to see more of that.

England

There was no England and.... I didn't miss it? I love Rachel (and Elizabeth), but there it is.

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-18-2017 at 09:45 PM
Old 03-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Master Fan

Megan killed it in that scene in the woods. I could feel her pain.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Everyone!

Remember to vote in the Mary survivor that is topped and in the Frary Song survivor in the Frary thread. We need your votes!

Watched the episode live and it was SO GOOD!!!

France

- Cleith!!!! MY PRECIOUS BABIES!!! Their reunion was so beautiful! But I knew it couldn't last.

England

There was no England and.... I didn't miss it? I love Rachel (and Elizabeth), but there it is.
Haven't seen it yet, what happened to Cleith? He didn't want an open marriage so do you think they're done?
annie1408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

Not sure if they are done....it's so complicated.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Megan killed it in that scene in the woods. I could feel her pain.
So moving. Megan is a genius... but we all know that.

Quote:
Not sure if they are done....it's so complicated.
I'm not sure what's going to happen with them, either. It's such a mess. I really hope that they can still find a way to be together in the end, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

Finally got a chance to watch this episode and loved it as usual

French Court

It was nice to see Charles back to being some form of sane at first with him finally listening to Catherine. I can't blame the villagers for thinking he's the monster taking children in the woods but that was awful to see the blood poured on him. I saw someone else mention this but it was a definite Carrie moment.

So glad to FINALLY find out what's going on with him, I felt so bad for Catherine in the end falling in the end trying to go after him

I am kind of bummed at this Leith/Claude story. I loved seeing Catherine rip Narcisse to shreds and threaten him with a slit throat She is such a momma bear, love her! But the actual Leith/Claude reunion fell flat to me because she's married to this seemingly nice guy!! It actually annoys me that Luc is so nice because it really took away from what should have been such a great reunion. I mean it was a great reunion but still.

I was sitting there feeling bad for Luc instead of fully being happy for this reunion. The open marriage thing is a horrible idea and I'm glad Leith put the brakes on that. Everyone seems to have forgotten that Leeza is still lurking and she'd sniff that out faster than anyone.

Scotland

Well...I can't help it but I actually like Darnley I am starting to see why Megan said if she could play any other character, she'd play him. He's interesting. He's devious and mischievous, but also funny, sort of honorable, and has a good heart. I feel ALL kinds of wrong for saying that considering what a horrible man was historically and I have to think at some point the other shoe will drop.

But for now he's fun and he and Mary have tons of chemistry. The look on Mary's face when he agreed to the match with Lord Taylor was priceless. I also loved how she confronted him about setting that fire and he immediately confessed. Something tells me that will the first of many many rows between these two. They are pretty evenly matched.

Loved seeing her slowly start to understand him and realize that he's trying to be a better man than his father...and that sometimes you do have to break the rules to even the odds. Her little speech to him at the end...finally calling him Henry was sweet. And the kiss was awesome...what a first kiss it was

This is going to end SOOO badly but for the moment, I'm enjoying it.

It helps too that it's so opposite of Frary. I also like that Mary is comparing the two. Darnley is Francis's opposite in every way. While it's good now, I think it's going to be harder and harder for Mary as time goes on.

James and Emily-- I don't know what to make of this still. Either she's playing him too and this is going to come back to bite both him and Mary or she really is that sweet and Knox will find out eventually and hurt her.

Castleroy/Greer-- I kinda figured they would find a way to end this relationship. Poor Greer but I'm glad she was so sweet about it and let him have his happiness though. These two have been through so much. And selfishly I hope this now opens the door for her and James.

Mary's loyal watchman -- South African mentions...
Spoiler:
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

ETA: I forgot to mention that there was no Queen Leeza in this episode, either. Praise GOD! It was a nice break.

Hey Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
It was nice to see Charles back to being some form of sane at first with him finally listening to Catherine. I can't blame the villagers for thinking he's the monster taking children in the woods but that was awful to see the blood poured on him. I saw someone else mention this but it was a definite Carrie moment.
Yes, I was so proud of Charles when he started actually listening to him mother again. I do understand why the villagers would think that he was a monster, but it was so horrible to see him so frightened and humiliated like that. It definitely reminded me of Carrie. And poor Catherine at the end. At least we finally know what's going on with him.

Quote:
I was sitting there feeling bad for Luc instead of fully being happy for this reunion. The open marriage thing is a horrible idea and I'm glad Leith put the brakes on that. Everyone seems to have forgotten that Leeza is still lurking and she'd sniff that out faster than anyone.
Quote:
This is going to end SOOO badly but for the moment, I'm enjoying it.
That about sums it up for me. I agree with every single thing you said about Darnley and Mary/Darnley. For me, he is such an intriguing, complex character. And it's really charming to see the understanding forming between him and Mary. (LOVED that she finally called him Henry. ). I'm just trying to enjoy it for now. It's difficult, though, knowing how it all ends. Mary said it herself in the promo for Season 3 - He wants her dead, and she will crave the touch of another. Things seem so promising right now... It makes me wonder how they reach that point.

Quote:
It helps too that it's so opposite of Frary. I also like that Mary is comparing the two. Darnley is Francis's opposite in every way. While it's good now, I think it's going to be harder and harder for Mary as time goes on.
The fact that it is so different from Frary does make it easier to digest. Frary's relationship had this purity, innocence and idealism to it that made it... epic. Mary/Darnley is not that... at all.

Quote:
James and Emily-- I don't know what to make of this still. Either she's playing him too and this is going to come back to bite both him and Mary or she really is that sweet and Knox will find out eventually and hurt her.
I just can't make it out, either. No matter what, it can't end well.

Quote:
Mary's loyal watchman -- South African mentions...
Spoiler:
That is my best guess, too.

Spoiler:

Last edited by kerbear28; 03-19-2017 at 11:03 AM
Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Master Fan

I'm more inclined to think the loyal watchman is Rizzio.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
ETA: I forgot to mention that there was no Queen Leeza in this episode, either. Praise GOD! It was a nice break.

Hey Lindsay!
Hi!! I've missed being around as much. And yay for NO Leeza!! I cannot stand her at all. Hope she stays on that tour for a looong while.

Quote:
I'm more inclined to think the loyal watchman is Rizzio.
Could be, I'm excited to see how both are introduced to the show. I'm leaning toward the other because the 'darnley's enemy/loyal to mary' angle but I guess it could also describe Rizzio. I just tend to think they are already setting up that triangle dynamic.

Quote:
I'm just trying to enjoy it for now. It's difficult, though, knowing how it all ends. Mary said it herself in the promo for Season 3 - He wants her dead, and she will crave the touch of another. Things seem so promising right now... It makes me wonder how they reach that point.
I have the same thought, things seem good now but how do we get from now.... to him wanting to kill her. You can kinda see the prelude in how they fight. Both are pretty explosive and once that ring is on Mary's finger I think Darnley is going to have a seriously hard time playing backseat to his wife. He's no Francis. He's going to want to dominate her and she'll fight that at every turn.

I also don't think we've seen the last of Keira. I wouldn't be surprised if Elizabeth uses her as some sort of weapon against them and you know Darnley still hasn't found out that Lady Lennox deliberately sabotaged that relationship. So I think the Keira stuff, the men vs women roles, and then add all the new characters to the mix which will lead to further jealousies I'm sure...all of that combined will lead to one big bad ending for all.

I also have decided to just enjoy everything I can regardless of what we know the ending will be(historically speaking). It's so hard with only 11 episodes left...I really don't want it to end ever
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Master Fan

I'm having a hard rime accepting that it's almoat over.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM
New Fan

It's like an entire season long funeral

Quote:
I'm having a hard rime accepting that it's almoat over.
Loyalwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread