Moderator of ...
Reign

Reign 4.12 "The Shakedown" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
The Shakedown
Season 4 Episode 12

Air Date CW: Friday, May 12th at 9/8c

MARY MUST DEFEND HER THRONE -
After a tragic earthquake hits Scotland, Mary must face John Knox amidst claims that she isn't coming to the aid of her people. Elizabeth takes drastic measures after she is discovered with Gideon, while Charles makes a decision that backfires.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:53 PM
Master Fan

This episode was a trainwreck.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:02 AM
New Fan

Wow. Megan is a phenomenal actress.

Narcisse is Narcisse.

I'm so sick of English court.
Opheliac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:27 AM
Elite Fan

Yes, Meagan Is a PHENOMENAL actress!!! Is also was in the mini series Anne of Green Gables. In which many of us got to watch he grow up from a 12 year old to an adult and became married and an excellent school teacher.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Hi *KindKennen*. I think EVERYONE can agree that Megan is phenomenal all around. And she was particularly amazing in tonight's episode.

Well, I have to agree with Amanda that this episode was a trainwreck. Here are some of my thoughts...

France
- Oh, Charles. After Catherine broke the "spell" he felt so weak and afraid that he made things a million times worse. And poor Catherine feels responsible for his mistakes. Megan was INCREDIBLE.
- So nice to have a couple Claude/Catherine scenes again. I've missed this mother daughter duo.
- I was kind of proud of Charles when almost shot Henri's hand off.
- Henri is so much like his father - and Narcisse. Always looking for the advantage in every situation, and going after things that aren't his. Now he's going after Nicole. Ugh. I just KNEW they were going to give us another love triangle (or square).
- Claude and Luc. I feel bad for both of them. Of course Claude wants to keep her vow to Leith. But Catherine was right. She can't have it both ways - have an heir with Luc and keep her promise to Leith. Narcisse just had to ruin everything by showing Luc that letter - but I suppose Luc deserved to know what Claude planned to do. Now he is giving up on trying to make their marriage a "real" marriage.

Scotland
- Darnley may be a complete jerk, but at least he's clever. Getting himself invited back to court so that he could use the crown's money to actively work against Mary. And even with Rizzio and Greer distracting him with wine, he easily figured out what Mary and Bothwell were up to. Now he's conspiring with Knox. OY.
- I feel guilty because I don't hate Darnley as much as I know I should.
- Mary/Darnley continues to intrigue and confuse me. He enjoyed kissing her in front of all of their guests... and though he tried to act like he didn't care, I think it really upset him when he discovered that Bothwell loves Mary and she cares for him, too. I'm sure there was some jealousy in his decision to have Bothwell beaten to within an inch of his life.
- The scene at the beginning with Darnley and the prostitute was actually pretty entertaining. I can see why it was one of Will's favorites.
- As much as I want to root for Mary/Bothwell, I just was not feeling it in this episode. I don't know why. Normally, I would LOVE the angst that comes from a couple that tragically can't be together. But it all feels so... boring and predictable. I'm keeping an open mind. I do like how protective he is.

England
- Ok, so I actually quite like Elizabeth/Gideon, and it was nice to see Liz so carefree. I was actually relieved that she didn't kill Jane... but I knew it was going to come back to bite her. Poor, sweet Jane who promised to keep her secret is actually a backstabbing spy! This is NOT GOOD.

Last edited by kerbear28; 05-13-2017 at 08:43 AM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
- I feel guilty because I don't hate Darnley as much as I know I should.
- Mary/Darnley continues to intrigue and confuse me. He enjoyed kissing her in front of all of their guests... and though he tried to act like he didn't care, I think it really upset him when he discovered that Bothwell loves Mary and she cares for him, too. I'm sure there was some jealousy in his decision to have Bothwell beaten to within an inch of his life.
I think the issue is Darnely is so charismatic and Mary and Darnley have a ton of chemistry whether they are making out or screaming at each other. So when he reverts back to being funny, sexy, while also being awful instead of straight up abusive scary man...it's hard for some part of me not to go "can't these two just find a way to work it out?!" That dynamic makes the story so interesting.

It makes you forget that literally in the last episode he was snarling in her face threatening to behead her while she's carrying their child. So...yeah complicated is their middle name.

I did love that dinner though, their hilarious banter was so funny while so wrong. If they could do the playful hateful banter all the time I could deal. It's when Darnely turns scary that sends me running. Confusing is the perfect word because his line of "I enjoyed it" did imply that he cares for her on some level and there was jealously there when he found out about Bothwell.

I like the whole triangle with Bothwell, it feels like good story rather than wrong like we've seen with previous 'triangles.' Mary is playing it really lowkey while Bothwell is having a heart attack because he sees where this is all going. It was a big mistake for him to reveal to Darnley that he loves Mary. He just gave Darnley the biggest weapon ever against them both. I just want Mary to be happy and it's soooo beyond depressing because we all know she's never going to be

The only people she has on her side are poor Greer, Rizzio, and Bothwell. Those 3 are no match for Darnley and all the Scottish lords. I wish history didn't stink so much.

France
Agree with eveyone about Megan. She was amazing. Catherine's pain was so raw. I couldn't love her more. She fights with every fiber for her kids and would do anything in the world for them and it just seems like no matter what she does, she can't win either This is when I really really miss Matherine more than usual.

Claude irritated me, I know she loves Leith and you can't just turn off love like that but Luke is such a good guy I just wanted to shake her for using him the way she did. Can't she see that in an era where most men treat women like property, she is married to one that is truly sweet and wonderful. Wake up Claude!!

I don't get any male fascination with Nicole. Sounds mean I know, but I can't stand her.

Like Darnley, Henri is a bad boy that I can't help but like on some level. Hot, smart, and soooo devious

England

I didn't like any part of the English storyline...Gideon and Elizabeth are just ew to me
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)

France
- So nice to have a couple Claude/Catherine scenes again. I've missed this mother daughter duo.
This was my absolute favorite scene from Claude's hysterical "heresy" and Catherine's "it was only one spell.. a good luck charm really" to Claude's protestation that she would not lie to Luc and Catherine's matter of fact "since when?" Yes it was nice to laugh for a little bit in France.

As to Claude and Luc--Claude is always trying to have her cake and eat it too. Hence Leith leaving in the first place. Claude has grown on me since she truly cares for her family but she went about it in the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
England
- Ok, so I actually quite like Elizabeth/Gideon, and it was nice to see Liz so carefree. I was actually relieved that she didn't kill Jane... but I knew it was going to come back to bite her. Poor, sweet Jane who promised to keep her secret is actually a backstabbing spy! This is NOT GOOD.
I will never like the Elizabeth SL as long as they keep trying to show Elizabeth unhappy with her choice of the throne versus a happy relationship. AND Elizabeth's show of mercy was unbelievable. She does not have 21st century sympathies for the little guy. She would have had no compunction in making sure she was dead because this was just a servant.

But since she did live I have a question for everyone:
So who do you think Jane is writing to? Narcisse? Knox? Catherine? Someone else?

As far as Scotland goes--the bag is cinching tighter every episode especially with Mary's bad decisions that play into her enemies' hands. But that is to be expected. It is excruciating on how slow it is coming.

All in all the SLs are moving faster and faster to their conclusion. It will be too soon when they are
Bravebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Master Fan

I was glad to see Charles finally confide in his mother.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
me too.
Bravebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
I think the issue is Darnely is so charismatic and Mary and Darnley have a ton of chemistry whether they are making out or screaming at each other. So when he reverts back to being funny, sexy, while also being awful instead of straight up abusive scary man...it's hard for some part of me not to go "can't these two just find a way to work it out?!" That dynamic makes the story so interesting.

It makes you forget that literally in the last episode he was snarling in her face threatening to behead her while she's carrying their child. So...yeah complicated is their middle name.

I did love that dinner though, their hilarious banter was so funny while so wrong. If they could do the playful hateful banter all the time I could deal. It's when Darnely turns scary that sends me running. Confusing is the perfect word because his line of "I enjoyed it" did imply that he cares for her on some level and there was jealously there when he found out about Bothwell.
Exactly. I've gone back and forth so many times with these two. So complicated.

Quote:
I like the whole triangle with Bothwell, it feels like good story rather than wrong like we've seen with previous 'triangles.' Mary is playing it really lowkey while Bothwell is having a heart attack because he sees where this is all going. It was a big mistake for him to reveal to Darnley that he loves Mary. He just gave Darnley the biggest weapon ever against them both. I just want Mary to be happy and it's soooo beyond depressing because we all know she's never going to be

The only people she has on her side are poor Greer, Rizzio, and Bothwell. Those 3 are no match for Darnley and all the Scottish lords. I wish history didn't stink so much.
Yeah, I don't mind the "triangle" aspect of the story. I like the way it's developing.

I just want Mary to be happy, too. It's all completely depressing.

Quote:
Agree with eveyone about Megan. She was amazing. Catherine's pain was so raw. I couldn't love her more. She fights with every fiber for her kids and would do anything in the world for them and it just seems like no matter what she does, she can't win either This is when I really really miss Matherine more than usual.
Completely agree. It made me miss Matherine, too. SO MUCH.

Quote:
Claude irritated me, I know she loves Leith and you can't just turn off love like that but Luke is such a good guy I just wanted to shake her for using him the way she did. Can't she see that in an era where most men treat women like property, she is married to one that is truly sweet and wonderful. Wake up Claude!!
My thoughts exactly. Claude needs to wake up and be grateful for what is right in front of her! Hopefully it's not too late for her to make things right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravebear (View Post)
But since she did live I have a question for everyone:
So who do you think Jane is writing to? Narcisse? Knox? Catherine? Someone else?
Great question. I don't even know where to start speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Me too! That scene was so incredibly moving.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

At this point, I honestly could care less about Elizabeth. She feels really irrelevant this season. There's either going to be a confrontation between her and Mary, or there won't be. Either way, I've grown tired of her crying about being scared about this or that every episode. It makes her look weak.

I think the other thing that bothers me about Elizabeth is that she doesn't really go through much character development from episode to episode. She's always scared and then comes to the realization that doesn't have to be scared only to end up panicked and scared in the following episode.

Darnley can go just already.

I kind of want Claude and Luke to work things out. But there isn't enough time in the season to have something develop.

Last edited by obisgirl; 07-02-2017 at 04:20 PM
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

I completely understand what you're saying about Elizabeth. It does get a bit tiresome. But in the end, the vulnerability that they showed in her character in Season 4 only made me love her more. For me, seeing her conquer her fears only made her look stronger.

I actually really enjoyed Darnley and sympathized with him, for the most part. I thought he was a really complex, interesting, and entertaining character.

Yeah, sadly, they didn't have enough time to fully develop the potential between Claude and Luc. But, what we did get to see. I loved.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Master Fan

I'm not a very big fan of Claude. I found her very annoying when the actress first joined the show, but I like her with Luc (who so far, appears to be a very good guy and very different from his father).
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Master Fan

I didn't like her at the very beginning, but I have loved her since season 3.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

^ Agreed. I thought Claude was annoying at first, too. But I grew to love her a lot. I thought her character development was really well done - especially within her relationships with Leith and Catherine. I really liked her with Luc, too. I was frustrated that she didn't give the guy a real chance sooner, but it is what it is. I wish we could have seen how Claude's life turned out.