Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 PM
Master Fan

Reign 4.09 "Pulling Strings" Episode Discussion

E p i s o d e D i s c u s s i o n
Pulling Strings
Season 4 Episode 9

Air Date CW: Friday, April 14th at 9/8c

MARY TAKES A SECOND HUSBAND —
Mary (Kane) and Darnley (Kemp) wed in a lavish affair, which proves to be a successful decision in regards to her political standing. James (Jeannotte) makes an interesting discovery about Greer (Sinden), while Elizabeth (Skarsten) frantically tries to salvage England’s power.

REMEMBER...
* Be respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but please keep things civil
* No actor bashing
* Everything is a spoiler until it has broadcast somewhere in the world
* Any talk of illegal downloading should not be brought up here. Live streams & such can be discussed through PM's
* Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I am soooooo excited for this episode. And best part is...I can't possibly be let down because it's Matherine!!

Giddy fool = me at the moment
Scottish_Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

TFTNT, Amanda! Sorry I didn't get home in time to open it myself.

^ Make that two giddy fools. Totally ready for the Matherine
Old 04-13-2017, 11:33 PM
Master Fan

I have whiplash from that episode. Too many things happened. It was nuts.

Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

OMG I don't even know where to start with this awesomely INSANE episode!

Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'll hopefully watch it tonight
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Catherine was amazing! I'm so glad she could be there to support Mary when she needed it!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

Sneak peek for those who haven't seen it.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:10 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdoneabusingyou (View Post)
sneak peek for those who haven't seen it.

spoiler alert?
Loyalwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm surprised the CW spoiled that for everyone, that was a huge surprise for me watching it. I mean we knew it was coming eventually I just didn't expect it this soon.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I guess it had to be now since she's not willing to sleep with him again
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish_Queen (View Post)
I'm surprised the CW spoiled that for everyone, that was a huge surprise for me watching it. I mean we knew it was coming eventually I just didn't expect it this soon.
Same. Was the biggest shock...don't know why either.

Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

WOW. Just... WOW. I can't believe they gave away that big of a shock in a sneak peak scene.

Spoiler:

ONE MORE HOUR UNTIL I GET TO WATCH THE EPISODE LIVE!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Master Fan

Yes, but to be fair...Mary's first pregnancy wasn't actually the twist in the episode, nor was it an important story line.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Well, I suppose it's true that the first pregnancy was something we were all hoping for so it wasn't a huge surprise twist, but I would still consider it to be an extremely significant story line. It wasn't a given that we would ever see Mary pregnant by Francis, and no one could fully predict where they were going to go with it (even though we all knew they would likely lose the baby. ) The loss of their child affected Frary's relationship and (along with Narcisse's blackmail) sent them down the sad, destructive path that they went down in Season 2. Even though it only lasted for one episode, it was important for Frary fans - if nothing else.

The episode was INSANE. Just a few thoughts:

- I'm still processing the fact that Mary is pregnant with Darnley's child. For God's sake, does every woman on this show have to get pregnant by a man they don't love after sleeping with them like once?? Yet poor Frary struggled to conceive and then had their baby taken away after half an episode. They wanted to be a family so badly, even before they were married. It's so hard not be bitter.

- I adored every single bit of Matherine, obviously. It was precious seeing Catherine so... motherly. She was right there to give Mary the advice and support she needed. I loved how she reminded Mary that she is surrounded by people who loved her, and carried love within her. Mary looking back to Catherine for comfort during the wedding. I was a little disappointed in their good-bye scene, too, but all in all they were pure GOLD. Catherine even embroidered something for Mary by herself WHILE SHE WAS ON THE BOAT. How adorable is that??!!! And Catherine totally stole Mary's cake.

- I was practically bouncing up and down when Mary sicced Catherine on Lady Lennox. It was GLORIOUS. She left the poor lady fumbling and speechless. Mary knew that Mama would take down fakeCatherine and get the necessary information. It was just so refreshing to see Catherine REALLY in her element, around people who actually respect her and fear her. And of course it was her brilliant idea to use Mary's wedding gifts to secure the support of the boarder lands.

- Catherine's final warning to Mary - that her love for her child and her country would not be enough and to "be careful." So ominous. I'm afraid Mary won't listen.

- So Mary and Bothwell... It feels so rushed, and I don't like how he is pressuring her. Lindsay pointed out the parallels of Bothwell to Knox and what he did to his wife. He seems so romantic right now, but it's already starting to give me the creeps.

- The wedding was visually stunning. Everyone looked incredibly beautiful. But overall, it was pretty depressing.

- My biggest disappointment from the episode was the fact that Francis wasn't mentioned. I know that he was mentioned several times in the last episode, but... I was hoping that on her wedding day Mary might be thinking about him. There were no memories or flashbacks from her first wedding, and she didn't talk about him at all with Catherine.

- The James/Emily sex scene was HOT. But... we all knew it wouldn't end well. Damn you, Knox. Poor poor Emily. She had really fallen for James. To be humiliated like that and then to see the man you love cozy with another woman. Heartbreaking. I'm a little worried about how she is going to react... Do you think she will go after James or Greer?

- James and Greer is happening!!! They are adorable, and I love that their connection was solidified by him helping her with little Rose. She wishes she had met a man like him before. I'm looking forward to more.

- It was fun to see Martin the Pirate back (and not just because he is easy on the eyes). It was nice that he wanted to be a part of his daughter's life. The fact that he pierced the baby's ears. I also appreciated that he noticed what was going on between James and Greer.

- I agree that drunk Darnley was hilarious. Saying hello to Mary's "lovelies." Yeah, it was immature for him to behave that way on his wedding day, but I still loved it. It was so sad that Mary offered reconciliation and he couldn't accept... and she couldn't tell him the truth about their child. If the situation was different, I think he really could be a better man for Mary.

- Mary's speech to the Cardinal was AWESOME. CHILLS. Idiot saying that women aren't fit to rule.

- Of course Elizabeth would have a meltdown and throw a tantrum when she learned that Mary's marriage actually happened. I still like Liz, but it was a bit childish.

- OMG Elizabeth and Gideon! Talk about whiplash. I could see that they were going to develop their friendship into something more, but... WOW that was fast. I'm happy for them. I actually think they have chemistry. It kind of annoys me that all of a sudden Gideon is vowing to protect Elizabeth from Mary, when a few episodes ago he was making the same vow to Mary. Elizabeth is his queen, so... I guess I understand it.

Last edited by kerbear28; 04-14-2017 at 10:18 PM
kerbear28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread