Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Well, personally, I'm always more quick to blame the writing when something isn't working on this show. I think Rachel has been getting so much better and is really growing into the role. She's good. It's true that I have enjoyed watching Elizabeth and Dudley more when they have scenes with other characters, but that doesn't mean the actors' chemistry together can't improve. I think it's too soon to say that it's not a good fit. All we've really seen them do is argue and cry about not being together. Their scenes may have been tedious, but they weren't "cringe-worthy" or awkward IMO. Perhaps if we actually got to see other aspects of their relationship we would start to feel the "connection" more. It would be nice to see them flirting or laughing together - just one carefree moment. Chemistry or no chemistry, I don't blame the actors at all. I think they are both doing a great job.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Elite Fan

I think it's the writing too because I know looked at some of their pictures and they really look nice together, they have chemistry on the that picture but not in the actual scene
De Medici Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

Aw there are pics of them together? Can you link me some?

Anyway I can see it's a debated question, even here. I wish there were some lighter scenes so I could tell.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Master Fan

As you say she's getting better and growing into the role. That couldn't happen if it was just the writing. If it was writing then no one would feel as though they had chemistry. Chemistry really has nothing to do with writing. I have seen shows where the dialog is on point, but it still feels wrong. Some actors just don't meld well. If every other person on screen has chemistry except you, it can't be the writing'writing's fault. Everyone in this shoe has amazing chemistry except Liz and Dudly and Mary and Gideon. Every other combination of characters works. That's just bad chemistry.

What is bad here is casting. Reign, as they have said, does not test potential actors against the people they will be playing opposite, which is a huge mistake.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Master Fan

They don't? Wow, they really should. Again though, I wish I just could see a different dynamic than simply the angsty moments, even though I quite liked their last one on Monday's episode. Chemistry is probably natural (look at Frary, Bash and Kenna, Catcisse) but one could still help it a little bit. Robert mentioned already knowing he had the love of his life but I just fail to feel it.

ETA: I thought I'd bring over some other E/R portrayals to show what I mean:

God Joseph Fiennes and Tom Hardy are hot. But then again so is Charlie

Last edited by drunkalice; 05-14-2016 at 05:41 PM
drunkalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Sadly, I haven't seen those other Elizabeth/Robert portrayals. Thanks for sharing them here! They look fantastic, and I'll agree that all of our Roberts are extremely good-looking. (Tom, Joseph, and Charlie. )

I suppose chemistry has to be natural, and not based on the writing. For God's sake, I desperately held on to my love for Frary through the Hell of Season 2 and that was all because of Tobelaide chemistry shining through - despite the writing. But I'm not going to say that Rachel and Charlie's chemistry can't develop into something wonderful, too. I just want to see more dynamics and aspects of their relationship before I dismiss it as "no chemistry." Because of the significance of the relationship, I'm willing to give it that chance.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:22 AM
Master Fan

Oh you have to see Kapur's Elizabeth, it's hauntingly beautiful and way better than its sequel. Cate killed it as Elizabeth. I've seen The Virgin Queen too but I'll have to admit I don't remember much of it and I never had a chance to rewatch it, though I'm sure that cast was amazing as well.

Exactly, we need to have faith it can evolve
Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

To completely change the subject:

Review of this episode from You Know You Love Fashion Reign: Strange Bedfellows — You Know You Love Fashion

Did anyone else notice the change in character mentioned in this review-Council member watch? I sure didn't. All those extras on Elizabeth's privy council seem to look the same to me.
What is up with that?
Bravebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

That was an entertaining review. They definitely mentioned details that I hadn't noticed or thought about. The reviewer didn't catch that it was Francis that taught Mary archery, though. But, she seems to be anti-Mideon, so...I'll allow that oversight.