Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM
Elite Fan

The writers have given us a lot of great moments, that can't be denied. And I actually have no problem whatsoever with Frary being unhappy right now. I don't watch the show to see a happy couple all the time, I think the problem is the constant state of misery across the board. Sure, there are brief moments of passing happiness for some characters, but as soon as those are over the rain of **** comes down on their heads.

I fell in love with the show early in season 1 when everything was lighter and happier. There were blossoming romances and teenage angst. There were also some life and death stakes, but they weren't the main focus of every episode. I don't necessarily mind all the darkness, but it's not the same show I was originally attracted to and I don't think it has the budget to do justice to these big ideas it's throwing out there.
Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I don't necessarily mind all the darkness, but it's not the same show I was originally attracted to and I don't think it has the budget to do justice to these big ideas it's throwing out there.
ITA! Reign's budget is a huge part of the reason that the Protestants vs Catholics s/l is such a bore. They can't do it justice. It's going to be painful to watch a whole season focusing on it. IMO
makeitreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
The writers have given us a lot of great moments, that can't be denied. And I actually have no problem whatsoever with Frary being unhappy right now. I don't watch the show to see a happy couple all the time, I think the problem is the constant state of misery across the board. Sure, there are brief moments of passing happiness for some characters, but as soon as those are over the rain of **** comes down on their heads.

I fell in love with the show early in season 1 when everything was lighter and happier. There were blossoming romances and teenage angst. There were also some life and death stakes, but they weren't the main focus of every episode. I don't necessarily mind all the darkness, but it's not the same show I was originally attracted to and I don't think it has the budget to do justice to these big ideas it's throwing out there.
Or the writing talent..
Old 11-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)

The difference between last season and this season is that Francis was still the Dauphin and Henry did NOT keep him in the loop wrt running the country. He kept Mary in the loop more than Francis. Often when we saw Francis try to work in the ruling framework with his father, his father would pretty much just pat him on the head and sent him on his way. Henry was a strong king even though we didn't see much of how he ruled. That was too grown up for a show like Reign to show really. Now with the crushing weight of power and letting things get out of hand with Narcisse, we're being shown a Francis who is weak and depressed and there's nothing currently good in his life other than his son with Lola. That's NOT a teen soap. That's adult drama and the people who watched it last season and fell for it are not seeing the same drama because it's not any more. Teen soaps are not meant to have such heavy weight issues discussed no matter whether the real Francis had to deal with it or not. That's why it's driving viewers away because they are watching and they are saying that they did not sign up for this.

- Captain Frederick Wentworth, Persuasion, Chapter 23
Scarlet|tumblr|Twitter|FF.net
ScarletCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I don't necessarily mind all the darkness, but it's not the same show I was originally attracted to and I don't think it has the budget to do justice to these big ideas it's throwing out there.
That's a big problem. These characters weren't even supposed to fight for Calais or go in the streets to watch the protestant *protest*. So, personally, I'd use the little money I have to give them a decent coronation tbh. What Reign is trying to display is more than it can afford.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

And also, it's not what most people want to watch
Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM
Master Fan

Yeah... I don't mind politics but it must be framed in a more balanced context as this is no House of Cards, no Lincoln. It's not even accurate of course, so in a certain sense it's a waste of my time because I'm looking for entertainment.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Master Fan

Yes! And currently what they are trying to do is not entertaining to the majority of the fans!

ETA
Quote:
Well, that escalated approximately at the rate it was supposed to! In “Terror Of The Faithful,” the brewing conflict between Protestants and Catholics heads to the streets, as Francis reaps all the possible rewards of being easily blackmail-able because of secrets he kept for no reason from people he knew would be both sympathetic and helpful. And while that painfully avoidable circumstance keeps this episode from having the dramatic heft it could have, there are enough subplots churning to keep things busy,and occasionally very interesting, as the season’s thesis inches ever closer to the hard truth that when it comes to the nature of power, Catherine’s been right all along.
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/reign-t...aithful-212169

Also, the author of the AV club did another report that's even more hilarious:
http://www.genevievevalentine.com/20...-the-faithful/

Last edited by ScarletCourt; 11-23-2014 at 09:00 AM
Old 11-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

The blackmail storyline has so many plot holes I hope they get rid of it soon.

Toby Regbo
Regbo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 (View Post)
The blackmail storyline has so many plot holes I hope they get rid of it soon.
It just doesn't make sense anymore (if it ever did). This is the king of France, the truth is what he decides it to be. And by the way, Mary and Catherine could only help him.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Master Fan

And what does Narcisse gain if he ever tells the truth? If Francis is not the king, Catherine would be Charlie's regent and she wouldn't bow to what he asked and the other option is that the crown would pass to the Protestants and that would be even worse for him.

Toby Regbo
Regbo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Master Fan

Maybe he figures that Francis is so young and inexperienced and naive that he wouldn't know or couldn't think beyond losing his head, Mary's head, etc., which Narcisse is right about at this moment, but it just makes me wonder what Catherine is thinking at the moment because surely Catherine is smarter than this.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM
Extreme Fan

I don't think Catherine would be tolerant of Protestants either. So Catherine as regent would work for him. She's apart of the old guard like he is
makeitreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Master Fan

Not saying that Catherine is tolerant of the protestant. She's terribly intolerant of them if memory serves, but surely she sees her son is very stressed by the whole thing.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Its times when an official Reign twitter puts up a link of an AVclub review and the first comment (or rather the busiest comment thread) on the AVclub posters are about The Vampire Diaries, you know the show is in trouble.

So many sub-plots that Reign cannot follow through and deliver and somehow the main plot has been lost in all the chaos.

Because 1) Maturity, many of their so-called shocking and 'meaty' story lines absolutely needs a mature perspective to write these and not just flash-in-the-pan sort of thing like what we are seeing right now.

2) Like I have reiterated for the past nth-y times, some subplots should be in a 3-5 episodes run. There should be a build up and not be nipped in the bud before it comes fruition because its pretty much a disjointed series now. And some sub-plots that shouldn't even be filmed at all gets a 3-5 episodes. lol Clearly, priorities need to be set straight.

3) Supernatural theme would have been so good if it were about Henry.

4) And his 'friendship' with Narcisse should have been explored thoroughly because WE BARELY KNOW THE GUY, MUCH LESS KNEW OF HIM IN SEASON 1 AND HERE COMES SEASON 2 AND HE'S A MAJOR PLAYER IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS! LIKE SERIOUSLY? LET'S EXPLORE HOW HE BECAME HENRY'S PARAMOUR(he's got a butterfly, get it? lol) AND HIS RELATIONSHIPS WITH DIANE, CATHERINE. ETC. in regards to Henry.

5) This channeling of young Henry and Catherine story through Francis and Mary. Just not good.

6) This circling Trust issue with husband and wife aka Francis and Mary. Imma refer to Season 1 episode 14 with Francis: But the question is, would you take me up on my word? ... Without trust, we are nothing. and to Season 2 Episode 2 and the 'going behind my back' debacle.

7) You don't know what you got until its gone. So somehow, I'll be here until Francis and Francis' ghost will truly depart the show.
shebacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread