Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

Reign 1.18: "No Exit" Episode Discussion, Air Date: 04.17.14

Reign 1.18 No Exit

“No Exit” — (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, SV) (HDTV)

MARY’S BROTHER ARRIVES AT THE CASTLE TO PLEA FOR MARY’S RETURN TO SCOTLAND — When Mary’s brother James (guest star Joe Doyle) arrives in France and convinces Mary to return to Scotland, Francis (Toby Regbo) is suspicious and uncovers a plot that would destroy Mary (Adelaide Kane), which causes a rift between them. King Henry’s (Alan Van Sprang) downward spiral continues, leaving Penelope (guest star Kathryn Prescott) in charge, causing Catherine (Megan Follows) and Kenna (Caitlin Stasey) to take drastic measures. Meanwhile, Lola (Anna Popplewell) becomes wary of Lord Julien’s (guest star Giacomo Gianniotti) motives behind his marriage proposal. Torrance Coombs and Celina Sinden also star. The episode was directed by Mike Rohl and written by Hannah Schneider (#118).

Music from this episode:

Basic Rules:

- Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.

- No Character/Actor Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.

- Everything is a spoiler until it has aired.

- Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.

- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the new thread, I am excited to see how far F/M will move this episode. The promo suggests they move apart though. I hope Francis corrects her on saying he only loves her as a girl and not a Queen.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Elite Fan

^Even if he doesn't, actions speak louder than words and anyone with eyes can see how untrue it is. Francis adores his Queen. She makes him swoon.

I am extremely excited for tonight's episode. I'm all for the Frary angst.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
New Fan

Wish I could watch it tonight.....
maryadmirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

TFTNT! Ready to read some good stuff and mini recaps! Where are they?! lol.

ETA that I found the other thread that gave me enough to live off of til tomorrow night. 22 hours.

Last edited by Tappintoes; 04-16-2014 at 08:07 PM
Tappintoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Absolute Fan

I'm going to begin at the end, and I feel the same way about what Francis did here as I did with what Mary did to him in 9. I don't like it, but I get why he/she did it. They've now each gone to extremes to save the person they love. And in that, they are the same. Generally I loved every single thing that happened between them this episode.

I am surprised Francis didn't bring up that without France and her backing there is no Scottish independence. France's strength kept Scotland free at this time.

My second thing is, hello manipulation from James! That was thick and showed a lack of insight or judgement from Mary. The historical record shows that James Stewart WAS an English agent who plotted to have Mary dethroned and succeeded, becoming regent during the years she was imprisoned before her beheading. I assume they are bringing that story forward to this time period, or they could have chosen Mary's brother Charles, who was a bit dim. It's clear he didn't want Francis with them, and what other reason could he have for that other than wanting to either control or kill Mary?

Henry/Penelope/Catherine/Kenna well played my queen! Henry's visions of his brother Francois are curious. There's debate in the historical record of foul play with Francois death, iirc. But he was dauphin, not Henri till Francois death - after a tennis match. Can't say I'm not happy to see the last of Penelope. Henry just...he's Henry as pure ego. But it's sliding for hilarious to sad.

Kenna and Bash are so perfect! From the ring, to his trying to keep Henry away from her, to the incredibly sweet final scene of theirs. Slow & steady. They are perfect! I love them!

Finally the AMAZING FB scenes. Bash admitting Mary never truly wanted to marry him - without bitterness. Francis admitting his initial fears still niggle. Bash complaining about his headstrong wife. Them JOKING about the oddly incestuous - not literally - nature of Bash's relationships. So much love! They were awesome and more than I'd hoped. Bash was serious, he wants something of his own, he seems to be thinking that something might just be the woman his father forced him to wed.

Last edited by lemon tart; 04-17-2014 at 11:52 AM
lemon tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

You guys, you guys, this may have been my favorite episode since 1x08 (I know I've said that before, but now I REALLY mean it. Again.) In any case, really phenomenal episode hitting on the love/duty triangle in the best way, but even MORE than that, it is the absolute perfect reversal of 1x09--as I'm positive Laura has already pointed out above me. This is Francis doing to Mary what she once did to him, putting her life above all else. Of course, if you ask me if I think him locking her in a tower is worse than her taking his crown and getting engaged to his brother, I'd have to say no, but hey, this isn't a competition, people. It's just Francis putting his wife's life above all else, including their happiness as a couple.

So, where do I start with my favorite things when this whole episode was my favorite thing?

The Francis/Bash commiserating scenes were AMAZING. I missed their relationship so much and seeing them fully moving past their differences and actually be friends again. GAH! My heart is just leaping with joy. The convo they had after the sword fight is actually what I would have chosen to write if I were writing that scene, so to put it mildly... how do you describe something that is better than perfection???

And then Bash complaining about his own marital problems to Francis.... so cute! Really, everything about Kennash was so cute. The whole wedding ring thing was very sweet, especially the end. And the kiss!

Finally, the bittersweet tale of Nostralivia. It was also just about as perfect as I could have hoped for (since I knew Yael would be leaving the show). They were DANCING at the wedding! And then sexytimes. And then... vision of her death. Of course, with the vision. Poor guy can't catch a break. The rest of it was terribly sad from the Nosty/Catherine standpoint. She robbed him of his last bit of happiness. After his loyalty toward her, and him calling her a friend... that was more heartbreaking for me than seeing him kiss Olivia goodbye and then cryyyyy. ALL THE TEARS (from me).

Yeah... that was a lot of crazy rambling, but I am just really happy. It's episodes like this that remind me why I love this show to pieces.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:08 AM
Obsessed Fan

Good episode.

All things between Mary/Francis:

It deserved a GIF it was too funny!

Literally. Locking. Mary. In. The. Tower.

Then walking away like a L'Oreal advert - cos he's worth it

Bash/Kenna very sweet! Their kiss was cut too short.

Bye Olivia

Penelope being taken down! Brava Catherine and Kenna

Francis stepped up! He was trying to protect his country and wife when he wised up to the footmen's double dealings.

Poor mad King Henry!

Bash/Francis are everything

Han er god barn, men han er så lat.

Eskild? Jeg sitter her.
Mimi

Last edited by Stelena&Bamon; 04-17-2014 at 02:18 AM
Stelena&Bamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT Rachel!

I loved the reactions to this episode, I can't even answer posts because I'm still high!!!

The Penelope storyline was ruining my enjoyment of the show so I'm glad it is over. Henry is so over the top, but Alan is doing such a good job I can't help but love it. It was great that once again, Catherine saved the day but with the help of Kenna this time.

So Julian is a rich wife serial killer? I’m a bit disappointed, I thought it was more mysterious than this. It was good that they showed how basically women did nothing and Lola's family money was to go straight to her husband's account . I'm still hoping there’s more to it and I hope she never trust him enough to give him the baby father’s name, because he will have dollars signs in his eyes!

has hit the fan: Francis wants some Mash potatoes and Bash into the Frary tale. Perfect brotherly moment; it was nice they could evoke the past without grief. I doubt they would let a bastard and the dauphin spare with real weapon, but well this is Reign. “She’s already been with a member of my family” Really Bash? It is a problem now? Lol. Bash giving his little brother advices?

Francis is indeed Catherine's son, it was nice to have him take matters in his own hand. I was ready to see the brothers start torturing/questioning the henchman together but I guess I’ll have to be happy about what I had already.

Awwww Nostradamus – Olivia. I was really sad to see her go, I guess it is better than to see her dying. Nostradamus's gift is really a curse.

O.M.G the last KB scene and their FIRST KISS!!!!! My only problem is that Kenna's feelings seems to start developing when she starts getting what she wants (land, money, jewelry,...). Not that I hate it because it is in character, it would be too OOC to have her be ok with being poor just because Bash is nice. It is just that having both (the ring story/and the get a land story) in the same episode makes the place where her feelings come from confusing. But I loved it: Bash is now titled and a landlord, not that he cared he just wanted his wife to be happy. I admit though, I love it and it annoys me at the same time: with Mary, Bash wanted what Mary wanted, with Kenna he also wants what Kenna wants. What does Bash want? I still don't know.

Mary is too reckless for her own good, she also thinks she knows everything when she clearly doesn't. And I love Francis for what he did. That last scene gave me chills-- that is how good they were, kicking him out of HER dungeon was hilarious though.

OT3: Catherine – Bash - Kenna
OTP: Bash - Francis / Mary - Scotland

ETA to add I wanted to smack Greer in the face when she made that comment to Kenna about how she should feel lucky to have a husband handsome and young, I thought it was very petty and unfair when a few episodes she was crying about being ruined

Last edited by b4dark; 04-17-2014 at 06:44 AM
b4dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'll say this is one of the best episodes of the season for real. So good.

I can't stop squeeing about the Frary scenes, so much angst and so good angst. As Laura and Rachel said, all Francis' actions paralleled Mary's in 1x09, and it was so good. They can't bear the thought of losing each other, and they love each other so much that sometimes makes them blind and makes them take bad decisions, but it's all about too much love. I just adore how we got a huge Francis' pov from this episode and it was AMAZING. His desire to put her first is so beautiful and tragic at the same time because as King and Queen they can't do that. In their hearts they'll always put each other first, but most of the time it's a privilege they have to give to their countries.

It was so good to Francis and Bash sharing those kind of scenes they had in the first part of the season, and I seriously hope they get more.

Kenna and Bash are so good.

I feel very sorry for Nostradamus and Olivia.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Master Fan

I would really like to write something that makes sense but I'm too busy in doing little dances about the KB kiss. I can definitely say I liked the episode though: I fangirled very hard over kingly!Francis
Old 04-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

OMG Kenna is such an ungrateful... bitter girl. She wanted Bash to make an effort for her and she spurns him off when he does. Then behind his back she thinks he's handsome. However, her act of care for him later was beautiful. "True... but I also what you to live." I loved it. I believe that Kenna can redeem herself. I agree with Tania though that her feelings come from getting what I want. Their ending scene was so cute.

I loved Lola's and Juliens marriage it was amazing. Them in bed was so pretty, but when he mentioned money... I panicked. Not all is what it seems with him apparently. When Lola spoke to Greer too, and Greer said about the money. It just sounded like Lola was paranoid, but then the eerie music set it up as more. So this scene intrigued me. However, then the ending threw me off again, because I just re-fell in love with him. OMG I can't make my mind up.

Catherine sounded ill though Did anyone else pick up on that? And Nostra in bed with Olivia was hot! It was so sad when he let her go though. It was so tragic... the music. The F/B scene was amazing. I'm so happy they're working together. I'm glad that they clarified the whole who's a better king and who's the better husband. The dynamics there! Neither of them can be both! It's like it takes two to rule. I really love it that they complete each other.

I loved all the beginning F/M scene's. They leaned on each other so well. However, I know it was talk of politics, but I didn't like Francis whining about Mary wanting to temporarily leave. All his why's, you could tell it weren't moans of love, he looked so annoyed. Then afterwards bringing love in as a bribe, a baby for an heir. I am totally with Mary on her worries. However, after a much needed kick in the backside by his brother Bash, I am glad he wanted to go. I love seeing him be supportive of Mary. The ending, he was trying to protect Mary from falling into a trap, but I'm not sure imprisonment was the way to do it. Their argument was so powerful!

On a whole, I love all the development of characters and their relationships in this episode. I loved Mary's half brother too, a lovely new addition. I also loved the whole plot with defying Henry and Francis finding the English gold. It was great.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I need to let my thoughts ruminate first
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Jade

Mary's brother is a very interesting addition to the story.

I'm very curious to know what will Nostradamus do from now? Will he try to get free from Catherine?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4dark (View Post)
Jade

Mary's brother is a very interesting addition to the story.

I'm very curious to know what will Nostradamus do from now? Will he try to get free from Catherine?
I have this feeling that him sending Olivia away is what will cause her death... I think she'll come back in the midst of a feud and boom.