Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 AM
Master Fan

i just. Matherine needs a hug. i love them both so much.
Old 12-05-2014, 05:50 AM
Elite Fan

Matherine is everything in season 2.

Adelaide said during the SDCC interviews that Mary and Catherine are "not friends" but "allies" ... Allies? I think they're more than friends... they're like Mother and Daughter IMO
Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Agreed, Issi. More like mother/daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
The Mary/Catherine scene tonight absolutely broke me. It was so moving. I am not a big cryer, but I had tears in my eyes. They were both brilliant, especially Addy.
Yes, I had REAL TEARS in my eyes during that scene. Megan and Ade were amazing.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Elite Fan

I'm also not a big cryer.. I'm really not!

But when it comes to this show I do cry a lot!

I cried in 2x07 when Catherine told the story about her time in Italy, in 1x11 when Henry told her that he loved her and the "what's the use of might have beens" quote, then during the Frary wedding because I was so happy, when Henry died and now during this scene. My heart still aches when I think about Catheirne's words and Mary crying and her "I can't."

I guess it's because I like this characters a lot and I never felt so addicted to a tv show as I feel to Reign
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reign_demedicifan (View Post)
Matherine is everything in season 2.

Adelaide said during the SDCC interviews that Mary and Catherine are "not friends" but "allies" ... Allies? I think they're more than friends... they're like Mother and Daughter IMO
they may not have known about this yet. they'donly just wrapped the first ep. they possibly waited until after SDCC to tell them so they wouldn't give it away. she said he writers talked about it. doesn't mean the castknew yet. plus Addy has always been a little like thatvtoward Matherine, Megan on the other hand has always known Cat cares about Mary. They are alot like their characters that way.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Master Fan

These two have had so many great scenes together. SO many - ranging from a lot of different emotions too. But this one last night...it may be my favorite. Catherine is so loving...and so understanding. She gave Mary the strength she needed in that moment.

My heart breaks for Mary. But she is strong. So strong.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

Both are very strong. I felt so bad for Catherine because of the rape story and now the same happened to Mary

The last scene was so wonderful. I love this side of Catherine. She cared for her like she would for her own daughter. And I know some people think that her advice was bad for rape victims. This might be true but I'm considering the fact that this is a tv show and in the tv show Mary's a Queen so for me it was the best advice for Mary and I'm glad that Catherine was the one who found her and talked to her about this.

this scene

Old 12-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reign_demedicifan (View Post)
Both are very strong. I felt so bad for Catherine because of the rape story and now the same happened to Mary

The last scene was so wonderful. I love this side of Catherine. She cared for her like she would for her own daughter. And I know some people think that her advice was bad for rape victims. This might be true but I'm considering the fact that this is a tv show and in the tv show Mary's a Queen so for me it was the best advice for Mary and I'm glad that Catherine was the one who found her and talked to her about this.
Those who think it was bad advice seemed to misinterpret her words though. They keep saying she told her to pretend it never happened. And what she was actually saying was just not to let the world see. She never said she shouldn't tell anyone and in fact, encouraged her to tell Francis when she asked if she should leave the room. I think people are just taking it the wrong way because they are looking for more reasons to be mad to justify their raging on it before it even aired. They kept saying that they didn't have the capability of handling it well, but they handled it better than any other similar situation on tv I have ever seen. They moved me to tears and that is no small feat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Catherine said. They have said very similar things on SVU to victims about not letting the rapist win, and they inspire victims all the time. Let the haters hate. The ratings increased last night, so clearly not as many people bailed on the show as we thought would. All is right with the world.

side note: I'm almost positive Catherine was rubbing her hand in that gif. So sweet.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

These two strong women. They really are like mother and daughter, and I adore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Those who think it was bad advice seemed to misinterpret her words though. They keep saying she told her to pretend it never happened. And what she was actually saying was just not to let the world see. She never said she shouldn't tell anyone and in fact, encouraged her to tell Francis when she asked if she should leave the room. I think people are just taking it the wrong way because they are looking for more reasons to be mad to justify their raging on it before it even aired. They kept saying that they didn't have the capability of handling it well, but they handled it better than any other similar situation on tv I have ever seen. They moved me to tears and that is no small feat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Catherine said. They have said very similar things on SVU to victims about not letting the rapist win, and they inspire victims all the time. Let the haters hate. The ratings increased last night, so clearly not as many people bailed on the show as we thought would. All is right with the world.

side note: I'm almost positive Catherine was rubbing her hand in that gif. So sweet.
I have to agree with this for the most part. Catherine's advice has really been misinterpreted.

Issi, that gif set of Catherine tucking Mary in is so sweet.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Elite Fan

Another great gif set

I love them so much and love how they relationship changed since the first season! I like the way it is now

can we change the OP so that this is the scene of the moment?
Old 12-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Supreme Fan

I think that so many who condemn Catherine's advice are disregarding the time period in which the advice was given. Catherine was thinking of Mary and of France. Women didn't talk of such things publically ... and a Queen had to put her country first and herself last. Nowadays, we have so much that Mary wouldn't have access to - counseling, support groups, etc. Catherine is giving her advice from somebody who had been in that same position (she pretty much admits her own personal experience with it ... and tells Mary that she will come through it). Catherine's advice might be offputting to some if given in modern day, but seemingly sound advice back then - pretend that it didn't happen and that's the best way to get through it. Never is the victim to blame -- EVER, but this takes place in a different time period. Had Mary declared before the entire court that she was raped, then the faith in the "untouched" monarchy could have lead to chaos and fear (in a country already dealing with tension). The people are already frightened, and Mary entered the throne room and said that "everything's okay" to allay the fears of her people. She will suffer privately, but the people she and her husband rule over will have faith in them.

I think Catherine consoled her in the best possible way given the limitations women had at the time. She said that you will win in the end, but don't show your court that you've been affected by this. Catherine not once blamed Mary or condemned her for what happened, only guided her how to console the people during a terrifying night. She's an experienced queen, and knows that Mary must first reassure the people that all is well so they won't be afraid or display lack of faith in the monarchy. Francis will take care of consoling Mary as a husband.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Catherine was out of line at all.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Elite Fan

Wes&FredFan,

I couldn't agree more with you. Every word Mary will have the support of the people who love her and care but not everybody needs to know
Old 12-06-2014, 10:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I think that so many who condemn Catherine's advice are disregarding the time period in which the advice was given. Catherine was thinking of Mary and of France. Women didn't talk of such things publically ... and a Queen had to put her country first and herself last. Nowadays, we have so much that Mary wouldn't have access to - counseling, support groups, etc. Catherine is giving her advice from somebody who had been in that same position (she pretty much admits her own personal experience with it ... and tells Mary that she will come through it). Catherine's advice might be offputting to some if given in modern day, but seemingly sound advice back then - pretend that it didn't happen and that's the best way to get through it. Never is the victim to blame -- EVER, but this takes place in a different time period. Had Mary declared before the entire court that she was raped, then the faith in the "untouched" monarchy could have lead to chaos and fear (in a country already dealing with tension). The people are already frightened, and Mary entered the throne room and said that "everything's okay" to allay the fears of her people. She will suffer privately, but the people she and her husband rule over will have faith in them.

I think Catherine consoled her in the best possible way given the limitations women had at the time. She said that you will win in the end, but don't show your court that you've been affected by this. Catherine not once blamed Mary or condemned her for what happened, only guided her how to console the people during a terrifying night. She's an experienced queen, and knows that Mary must first reassure the people that all is well so they won't be afraid or display lack of faith in the monarchy. Francis will take care of consoling Mary as a husband.

Exactly this, her advice wouldn't be much worse now. Especially for anyone in the public eye. She never said to be ashamed or hide it from family and friends, only from the public.

PS: The 10 seconds of film when Catherine puts her hand out and Mary takes it, are probably the most moving 10 seconds of tv I have ever seen.

PPS: After I calmed down from all the feels, I thought about what happened between the bedroom scene and the throne room scene and I just picture Catherine bushing Mary's hair...and oww more feels
Old 12-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Master Fan

I agree with everything you said Donna. And as heartbreaking as that gifset is...it is beautiful too.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)

Mary couldn't go to the cops. She couldn't have a trial and testify against her attacker. These are things that might occur in present day, but not in medieval France and certainly not for a Queen. Catherine did what she could for Mary, which was sympathize and then encourage. She said that Mary would survive, which is the truth. That is a universal truth. It's not judging Mary for her tears or her fear or implying weakness.

As for the advice about not letting the attackers win-- I think that's sound advice even in modern day circumstances.