Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Fan

Most of what I knew about Mary prior to the show was stuff I learnt at uni (I'm a French student of English, and it covers both the English language and the History and culture of English-speaking countries) about the Protestant/Catholic and English/Scottish rivalry.
It's funny that I never knew prior to uni that she had been Queen of our country at some point. I guess it's because in the grand scheme of things, François II's reign wasn't the most memorable of all. We all know about Charles X's reign (Francis's brother) since it's during that time that he and Catherine de Médicis (French spelling) got really bloody hands with the whole St. Bartholomew's Day massacre thing.

I love you because you're my best friend
J&M
and I want to grow old with you.
LostInTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for getting this thread started, Josie.

It would be great to see what happened in history vs. what the show is showing us as comparison.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can think of a few things that don't quite make sense to me, in regards to this storyline and history.

I mean in the pilot, Phillip married Elizabeth (don't know exactly why they did it so soon), but before he married Elizabeth he was marred to Mary Tudor who seems to be still alive on the show (or more precise is dying). Although they may never be married

I also I don't quite understand England's desire for Mary T. wanting Mary QOS dead. Considering I thought they would somewhat be allies. Although I suppose it is possible Elizabeth is pulling the strings despite Mary's rule

warangel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Loyal Fan

Add me please
mercia12591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Addicted Fan

Whenever I watch historical fiction I'm always so curious about what is true to history and what is being fictionalized so I'm super excited for this thread! I hope all the history buffs will give us the lowdown on history vs. what's being presented on the show.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
It would be great to see what happened in history vs. what the show is showing us as comparison.
Even the show takes MAJOR liberties with the real history, I like what they've done in terms of nodding toward the real history. e.g., Francis being sickly, Tomas being forgotten by history.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by warangel88 (View Post)
Just curious how many knew of Mary's history before hand, and how many decided to research her history after watching Reign?
I knew it. That time period is one of my favorites. I have a nonfiction book on her somewhere, and I wrote a paper on her a few years back. Back then I would have been furious with Reign for all the Hollywood License it takes, but I've been getting better at liking famous-person-based (as opposed to putting fictional characters into a realistic time period) historical fiction.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
Even the show takes MAJOR liberties with the real history, I like what they've done in terms of nodding toward the real history. e.g., Francis being sickly, Tomas being forgotten by history.
I agree, I like those little nods as well.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewall (View Post)
So far I like the addition of Bash and how good looking Nostradamus is. Costumes not so much. It could be better but this is the CW so okay.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, Hunky Nostradamus is an upgrade. So is non-sickly Francis whose testicles have descended.

I wish Elizabeth hadn't been married off in the pilot. I know she and Mary were very close friends in real life. She could have been an interesting foil to Catherine.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

i do wish we got to see a bit more of Elizabeth and her relationships with her siblings, Mary and Phillip.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Yeah upon finding out that Mary and Elizabeth were really close, I'm really bummed that she got married off right away. Plus, I like for the timelines of historical fiction to be accurate.

I don't mind them modernizing the costuming somewhat, but some of those dresses I am not a fan of. In particular, I kinda wish they'd stop with the strapless attire.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think the costumes are extreamly off, But whatever. I think they are trying to appeal to teenage girls, for outfits.

While I do like some of the strapless dresses. I do agree.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylo (View Post)
Yeah upon finding out that Mary and Elizabeth were really close, I'm really bummed that she got married off right away. Plus, I like for the timelines of historical fiction to be accurate.
This. It's okay to deviate from history but to not acknowledge it is a different story.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Honestly I think that is the reason why the show would somewhat stick to true events. At least major events. I mean I can somewhat imagine the series will end with Mary going back to Scotland, and their will be no romantic endgame for her.

Reply   Post New Thread